Daraprim is now $1 a pill

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

I saw this earlier. It's a compounding pharmacy so they're just making it for individual patients, rather than "manufacturing." But I didn't think you could compound a product that is already commercially available. Otherwise "compounding pharmacies" would be popping up all over to bust patents.
 
I saw this earlier. It's a compounding pharmacy so they're just making it for individual patients, rather than "manufacturing." But I didn't think you could compound a product that is already commercially available. Otherwise "compounding pharmacies" would be popping up all over to bust patents.

It's a big issue, FDA has indicated that they are not going after compounding pharmacies for doing this.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
How I understand this is that the "alternative" is a compound with leucovorin and can only be used for a sliver of patients that would use the drug due to the limited indication of the leucovorin addition.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but it doesn't really sound like that big of a threat to the current GOAT of phrma.
 
How I understand this is that the "alternative" is a compound with leucovorin and can only be used for a sliver of patients that would use the drug due to the limited indication of the leucovorin addition.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but it doesn't really sound like that big of a threat to the current GOAT of phrma.
It can be used for any patient for whom the leucovorin would not cause harm (i.e. Anyone who would be on Daraprim).