Dartmouth or Duke for undergrad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I would like to amend my previous statement, because I hadn't read the above. If Dartmouth gave you substantially more money, then go there without a doubt! If you end up going to medical school, you will be in so much debt. Honestly, the difference between the two is negligible. They both will set you up nicely for the future and open a world of opportunity. Besides, once you go to medical school, undergrad will matter less. So save money if you can!

I didn't see this either. Either of these excellent schools will be largely what you make of them, and a major $$$ difference is a major consideration.

Also, the idea that Dartmouth's networking potential is inferior to Duke's is pretty ridiculous. Dartmouth is an extremely tightly knit place and the strength of the alumni is a major selling point. Not that Duke doesn't have a strong alumni network too, but Dartmouth's is at least as good especially if you take regional differences into account as I was saying before.

Members don't see this ad.

If cost is equal go Duke since it's more tailored to fit the needs of a premed. With that said, there is no question that Dartmouth wins with regards to overall prestige. US news ranking is irrelevant. If you changed your mind and wanted to go into business you would have a much easier time getting a Bain/McKinsey consulting gig or ibanking position if you're coming out of Dartmouth. Like it or not Ivy pedigree does have its value.

Non-Greek Dartmouth student here.

I chose the College over other Ivies and top-notch schools because Dartmouth gave me the most amount of money. Even without the financial aid, I've received a total of $11,300 in research grants (Two $4,000 grants for off-term research and two $1,500 grants for academic-year research and $300 for conference travel). The premed classes are top notch. Professors here genuinely want to help you succeed.

Extracurriculars opportunities are abundant. Because of the unique off-term/on-term system, there are leadership opportunities for everyone. Furthermore, Dartmouth encourages all of its students to get some research experience. I started research in freshman year, and I've learned so much from the graduate students and the PI, and I really feel like a part of the team. I've also been invited to go drinking with my research lab on multiple occasions (which I had to decline because I was underage).

The pre-health advising is extremely helpful. Every term, the society matches students with doctors from all specialties from Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center, which is 10 minutes by the free pubic transit. The pre-health society also sets up interesting opportunities where students are able to interact on a long-term basis with Alzheimer's patients. I've shadowed a neurologist, a hematologist, and a medical geneticist, and I'll probably shadow a surgeon this summer (and yes this program is also available during summer terms).

However, if you are coming for the prestige, don't bother. Prestige isn't going to keep you warm at subzero temperatures, neither is it going assuage you when you are getting your butt handed to you in class by former high school valedictorians and salutatorians (although that what some of the Ivy participants of this thread seem to be doing :rolleyes:). That being said, our pre-health advising made it clear that the average Dartmouth students matriculating into medical schools have an average GPA that is at least 0.1 point lower than that of the national average, meaning that medical schools understand the rigor of our courseload (base on a quarter system). Personally I find people who gloat off of their institutions' prestige to be repugnant. You'll find many types of people at Dartmouth, from fratbros to nature-lovers and what-have-you.

And actually, it's the students that make this place so great. With around ~4500 undergraduates, Dartmouth is large enough to encompass a wide variety of people, but small enough to avoid feeling lost in a crowd. My group of friends and casual acquaintances have included at least two NYT-acclaimed authors, two Goldwater scholars, and a recent Thiel Fellow, all of whom have inspired me to push my limits.

But if you are going to pick Dartmouth because of prestige, then this is not a good place for you, and we don't want you here if you are going to be miserable. Okay? :)

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Bumping this to add that now both schools cost the same for me... so the decision just got even harder. Should I just do a poll and go with popular opinion? :D Just kidding.

Duke is fantastic. I'm a rising senior here and chose to come to Duke over Dartmouth and a few other Ivy League schools.

Duke is one of those schools where every student I know literally has it all. They find ways to make time for everything they are passionate about -- athletics, academics, the social scene/greek life, research, clubs, etc. Everyone here does something besides school!! Sounds really stupid, but talking to a few people who transferred here from MIT, it really makes a huge difference.

Feel free to PM me if you have any duke-specific questions =)

also~ when do you have to decide by?

Bumping this to add that now both schools cost the same for me... so the decision just got even harder. Should I just do a poll and go with popular opinion? :D Just kidding.

Go with your gut, you literally can't go wrong here.

If cost is equal go Duke since it's more tailored to fit the needs of a premed. With that said, there is no question that Dartmouth wins with regards to overall prestige. US news ranking is irrelevant. If you changed your mind and wanted to go into business you would have a much easier time getting a Bain/McKinsey consulting gig or ibanking position if you're coming out of Dartmouth. Like it or not Ivy pedigree does have its value.

Though I do not doubt that Dartmouth is well placed in the finance and business world, it's silly to suggest that Duke isn't as well. Duke is one of the best feeder schools for top investment banking and consulting firms--in fact, Duke prides itself on this point; its most pronounced strengths as an undergrad institution are in pre-professional development rather than pure academics (ie. it excels more than other schools at pre-med, pre-law, pre-finance/business). Either way, I fail to see how placement into industry is relevant to a premed.

OP: If I were in your position, I would choose Duke hands down. There will always be a subset of uninformed northeasterners who believe that somehow the "ivy league" name makes those schools the best in the world, but in reality not only does Duke offer better resources in medicine by far, but its brand name as an undergrad institution is stronger in the medical world. Besides, worst case scenario you gain a huge boost when you apply there for medical school and have the opportunity to be streamlined into another top 10 school. You can't say the same thing for Dartmouth, and there are many reasons why that isn't case.

Last edited:
Are you kidding? DUKE ALL THE WAY!

I'm going to come clean on my bias and mention that I'm a 2012 Duke grad, OP. Regardless, the people on this thread who have mentioned that Duke has more resources than Dartmouth in the medical field are correct. Duke will open many, many doors for you as a pre-med. A degree from Dartmouth will in no way jeopardize your chance at medicine, but Duke's opportunities for clinically-related research, civic engagement, and coursework have been a massive advantage for me. Can't imagine they wouldn't be for you. If there's even a chance you're going to end up in medicine, Duke is the place you want to be.

Best of luck wherever you end up. I hope you do well. Feel free to PM me if there's anything Duke-related I can help you with.

Graduated from Duke UG, going to DukeMed, so obv i'd pick Duke. If you're premed, Duke teaches you how to throw med school haymakers. Not so sure about Dartmouth, but I've never been there nor applied.

I got in both schools from the wait-lists, so I didn't have a chance to visit in person.
I barely have any time to make my decision.
What are the pros/cons of each school, considering that I am a pre-med? (obviously)
Thanks!

Go to the school that will have the lowest COA. Big picture wise, there's no difference honestly b/w Duke and Dartmouth.

Imho my real opinion: Go to your local school since they very well could end up giving you a full ride based on your stats.