Dartmouth vs Case Western Reserve

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bGMx

He moʻolelo ia e hoʻopau ai i ka moʻolelo holoʻoko
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all, hope you're staying safe and sane in these times. I'm looking for input from the community, especially after second looks has been suspended.

I'm having a hard time choosing between Dartmouth and Case Western. They're the same as far as rankings go but their environments, learning style, lifestyle and professional potential are much different from what I can tell. Any input into pros and cons?

I have a modest interest in research, in that I want to be prolific but not pressured, and I have a calling to politics, public health and policy. I don't want to sacrifice anything when it comes to clinical training. My ultimate goal is psychiatry, and leading a balanced life professionally and personally which I can use to reinvest into my communities and the world.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
It's difficult for me to list them... I'm adaptable to any environment, so the choice is in lifestyle, which these two are starkly different. I'm interested in psychiatry and politics, especially in the context of community building and support.

Case Western:
• large class size so there is enough people to find a true niche with a larger community
• Case is set in an urban network so there is diversity in people and lifestyles. This speaks toward diversity in experiences professionally and personally.
• Great communication with Case Administration
+ True Small Group education where it makes the school more personal as well as suits my learning style.
+ Great Hospital Connections and diverse patient population.
• Cost is around $300k for me
- Distraction of the city lifestyle. I could go for a hike or go to a concert instead of study. Could be reframed as "balanced lifestyle."
• Not sure how well connected the Case alumni are to the greater medical and civil community
+ Friendly Midwest feel, my favorite interview day
• Not sure how respected their psychiatric work is, both clinically and in research
+ Lots of free time. Classes are only 8am-10am...
• Dedicated research time
+ 6 exams total during preclinical years, which are open ended.
+ Community Minded. Seems like Case values the creation of doctors who are part of a collective, and the faculty is not hesitant to mentor students and participate in events (like Doc Opera).
- Winter is 6-7 months. That being said, there are plenty of indoor facilities to keep me busy, and hiking about an hour away.

Dartmouth:
• Plenty of space to roam and breath. Rural lifestyle I could get used to considering I've been quarantined for 1 month, and haven't really been bothered by the change of pace
• More mature and professional feeling about the campus
- Least enjoyable interview day, felt that people in Hanover were full of themselves, in a charming way. I'm not sure if it was a good read on my part or a strange day in Hanover.
• Small class size means I'll get to know everyone really well but also that could be a con if my interview day impression was accurate as far as personalities go.
+ high quality outdoor activities. Access to Dartmouth Ski Lodge and Maple Syrup farms.
- nothing else but outdoor activities
+ Alumni network and name recognition, which would be useful on a geopolitical level
• Dartmouth Hitchcock got COVID-19 under control quickly due to population demographics.
+ Dartmouth Psychiatry Dept. is high quality. Unlocked inpatient facilities are unique.
• Clinical rotations are out there in California, Alaska, etc. This speaks to my adventurous spirit but also poses issues regarding my girlfriend.
- Heirarchical mindet. Dartmouth gives off the impression that the most important community at Dartmouth is the Dartmouth community, and the Dartmouth community is important globally.
• Cost is around $300k for me
- Winter is ≈ 7-8 months. I'd prefer to be inside during the winter aside from occasional ski trips or hikes.

I would like to be involved in research through the psychiatry or neurology department during my time at medical school, and I'm hoping to match into a Psychiatry residency with a foward looking outlook, top tier training and relevance regarding research.

Last edited:
My question is how much weight do I give the Dartmouth alumni network? It crosses many disciplines. My kids and my grandkids will be part of that network as well just by the nature of it.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
My question is how much weight do I give the Dartmouth alumni network? It crosses many disciplines. My kids and my grandkids will be part of that network as well just by the nature of it.

First, the medical school is not thought of as highly as the undergraduate. The name recognition will be fun to tell non-medical friends, but anybody “in the know” who you’d be trying to work with will understands this.

Second, often schools within a university are quite separate administratively. That is to say going to the medical school doesn’t necessarily confer benefits down the line to progeny trying to get into the undergrad, etc. As such, I really really would not make this decision based off the (likely misplaced) belief that you going to medical school is going to open up many doors (besides some legacy at the medical school itself, which I just mentioned is considered good but by no means the powerhouse the undergraduate school is) for your family in the future.

Reactions: 3 users
Second Look completely changed my view of Dartmouth, as well as some deeper research into the school on my end. There are a couple researchers who are working on projects directly related to my interests, and their psychiatric department is doing some strong work as well. I've also warmed up greatly to the idea of working in a rural environment after going fishing this past weekend.

Bumping for more input from the community

it sounds like you're leaning more towards Dartmouth. if both schools offer you the opportunity to explore research/specialty of interest and the cost difference is negligible then go with your gut on which environment you'd be happier in

Thanks all-- Anyone know any cool insights or perks to either schools which I haven't listed?

For other people who might look at this thread down the road: Dartmouth has the most rural academic hospital and medical school in the nation, as well as the VA center for PTSD and DHMC specializes in working with addiction.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks all-- Anyone know any cool insights or perks to either schools which I haven't listed?

For other people who might look at this thread down the road: Dartmouth has the most rural academic hospital and medical school in the nation, as well as the VA center for PTSD and DHMC specializes in working with addiction.
Would you be interested in a dual degree? Dartmouth's MBA program is currently ranked #12 per USNWR, so getting a degree there would actually be super helpful if you were planning to be in a position to use it in the future.

I might be interested in an MBA degree. There are international community programs I want to develop utilizing a business-model in order to put capitalism to work for those who don't have the luxury of enjoying "spending money" or clean water, although I've never considered an MBA program necessary to make this happen... In the past 2 weeks, the allure of CWRU has become more-or-less boiled down to the vibrancy of city life and the connection to the Cleveland Clinic Foundation.