UColorado vs Case Western vs Kaiser(?)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

majesticTurnip

Reaction score
Hey everyone! With the April 30th deadline looming, I figured I would reach out to SDN to see if people can help me make a decision between schools! I’ve been very fortunate to receive A’s to multiple programs this cycle (University of Colorado and Case Western), and I am still waiting to hear back from my interview for Kaiser (please come out soon)

A little about me and my goals:
  • Born and raised in Los Angeles, CA my whole life so my end goal is to match back to CA and practice there as well
  • Not set on a specialty but I want to keep my doors open, and I’m interested in some of the competitive specialities like ortho and ophtho
  • My SO is at a graduate school in California for the next 3 years, so being close to her (time-zone wise and geography) might make it easier for long-distance (but due to the rigors of our programs, we would only see each other during academic breaks anyways, so not the biggest factor)
Since Kaiser has a very very low post-II acceptance rate, I’m pretty much banking on deciding between Colorado or Case. However, if I’m lucky enough to get an A to Kaiser, I can update this thread. I’m open to listening to thoughts as if I do have the option here as well though.

I’ve already visited Colorado for second look weekend and am planning to visit Case in mid-April.

Pros and cons of each school
Note: while each school has distinct curricular programs (LIC vs block model), I don’t have a strong preference for either and am weighing geography and other factors over curriculum
also price is pretty much the same so not factoring that into my decision

Colorado
Pros
  • More hobbies to do; I’m an avid snowboarder and rock climber, and plan to get more into hiking / camping / backpacking so I think the outdoors is perfect for me
  • Better weather than Cleveland (?)
Cons
  • Not as good match rates to competitive specialities as Case I think (?), I was comparing their match results from this year and also previous years as well and Case does better in matching to derm, plastics, ortho, ophtho, and other surgical specialties
Case Western
Pros
  • Associated with one of the best hospitals in the country, Cleveland Clinic, so I think I’ll get some of the best rotation / clinical experiences
  • Better match results to more competitive specialties
Cons
  • Less things to do than Colorado in terms of outdoors / snowsports
  • Less diversity than Colorado (?)
  • Colder weather than Colorado
I think both programs are amazing and will set me up for success in the future, but it’s just a matter of whether I want a better quality of life going to Colorado or go to Case for the better program / exposure / and match rates.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

In rankings, they are more or less the same and are both solid programs. Colorado will not hold you back from matching into a great ortho or other competitive program. Colorado will also match better on the west coast compared to Case so I vote you go Colorado and enjoy the mountains for the next four years!

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
A note on climate:
Denver (Aurora) is actually colder than Columbus and gets about 60 inches of snow annually (vs. 22 inches in Columbus). But for a mountain and snow sports person, that shouldn't be a drawback. In fact, Denver gets 30 more days of sunshine than Columbus every year (205 vs. 175) and is moderately less humid in summer. Overall, climate-wise they're pretty close. I'm a western U.S. raised person, so I'd pick Colorado if it came down to climate comfort.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I am making the same decision between Colorado and case western and am thinking about the same factors (climate, matching in California, prestige, and overall program quality). The program at case western seems to be more organized and well established compared to the new trek curriculum at Colorado to me but would love to hear any other thoughts you have as we make the choice!

Reactions: 1 user
I am making the same decision between Colorado and case western and am thinking about the same factors (climate, matching in California, prestige, and overall program quality). The program at case western seems to be more organized and well established compared to the new trek curriculum at Colorado to me but would love to hear any other thoughts you have as we make the choice!
I'll DM you! We can talk through it together haha

A note on climate:
Denver (Aurora) is actually colder than Columbus and gets about 60 inches of snow annually (vs. 22 inches in Columbus). But for a mountain and snow sports person, that shouldn't be a drawback. In fact, Denver gets 30 more days of sunshine than Columbus every year (205 vs. 175) and is moderately less humid in summer. Overall, climate-wise they're pretty close. I'm a western U.S. raised person, so I'd pick Colorado if it came down to climate comfort.
Ah interesting, I didn't know about this, though I did hear Denver gets 300 days of sunshine (:), looks like it might be an over estimate

Being from the midwest and moving to Colorado... climate in Colorado is outstandingly better. Rarely cloudy, mostly blue skies. The sun make it feel 10º warmer than it actually is. It is truly 300+ days of sunshine (I don't think it is an overestimate). When it does storm you either have everything cancelled because its about a full foot of snow, or the snow is gone within a few days (or less) because of the sun.
Also, Anschutz is the only MD school in CO.

Reactions: 1 users