Dartmouth vs Emory

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dartmouth or Emory?

• Dartmouth Medical School

Votes: 12 22.6%
  • Emory University School of Medicine

Votes: 41 77.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Johnisit1234

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering what people thought.. I've been admitted to both and am kind of torn. They're both very different schools.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Emory, as of now, seems to have more votes. I was wondering if this was because Emory is ranked much higher (at 19) than Dartmouth (at 34) according to US News...
Is that a significant difference?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
I pick DMS but maybe that's because I'm biased cause that's where I'll probably be going. That and I know nothing about Emory.

Are you going to second look weekend?

depends on what you're interested in. DMS: rural new england college town with tons of outdoors stuff to do, older student body, emphasis on primary care and internal medicine. Emory: Atlanta is supposed to be an awesome city and I would assume they are more research oriented, which would be better for those interested in competitive specialties.

Man, 2 completely different schools. I'm leaving the state of GA and probably attending Dartmouth in part because I want to do my residency in the northeast, and I want to go to a medical school where there's little stress. I've also spent enough time in ATL, so it's time for me to try something new.

It really all depends on what you're looking for and where you want to live. Atlanta's busier, more things to do (clubs, bars, etc..), spread out, pro sports (Vick), and Grady sees everything. Mild winters, horrible summers (opposite of DMS). More diversity though it's really mostly white and black. I think clerkships are all done around ATL

Hanover's small, rural (though close to Boston and Montreal), beautiful, calmer, friendlier, and easy to get around (ATL traffic sucks!). DHMC is great they don't make you do scut work. Do you like skiing, hiking, fishing etc....? Clerkships done at Hanover and if you so choose, Cali, Miami, CT, Arizona, Alaska, Maine, New Zealand, and maybe a couple I may have forgotten

Emory has letter grades, Dartmouth is H/P/F, it's very easy to get involved in research at both schools, both have good reputations among residency directors, neither administration will push you towards primary care (though Dartmouth spends more clerkship time on it), and both have decent financial aid.

Congratulations, both are great schools!

Johnisit1234 said:
Emory, as of now, seems to have more votes. I was wondering if this was because Emory is ranked much higher (at 19) than Dartmouth (at 34) according to US News...
Is that a significant difference?

It's SDN man, of course it makes a difference here. Does the lower ranked school ever win these polls?

That's why you can't trust the polls. You'll have people voting that have never been to either school and just go by rankings.

I don't know anything about the schools so I won't vote in the poll, but if I had to pick on location I would pick Dartmouth. I'm from the ATL area and I definitely won't miss it. I guess it depends on what you are looking for though.

raincrew said:
depends on what you're interested in. DMS: rural new england college town with tons of outdoors stuff to do

Atlanta is certainly no rural college town, but there is outdoor stuff very near by. There is white water rafting less than 2 hrs away, and Smoky Mountain national park (in western NC) is about a 90 min. drive. I had a chance to visit Smoky Mt. in undergrad, and I loved it. It's great for hiking and whatnot.

VCMM414 said:
Atlanta is certainly no rural college town, but there is outdoor stuff very near by. There is white water rafting less than 2 hrs away, and Smoky Mountain national park (in western NC) is about a 90 min. drive. I had a chance to visit Smoky Mt. in undergrad, and I loved it. It's great for hiking and whatnot.

Again, the schools are opposite.

Emory's in a big city with lots of outdoor activities a short drive away (not much skiing though)

DMS's is in a rural town with lots of outdoor activities, and a short drive away from Boston (winters still suck)

I don't think you'd have trouble finding placement in a competitive specialty coming from Dartmouth.

raincrew said:
depends on what you're interested in. DMS: rural new england college town with tons of outdoors stuff to do, older student body, emphasis on primary care and internal medicine. Emory: Atlanta is supposed to be an awesome city and I would assume they are more research oriented, which would be better for those interested in competitive specialties.

The student body is not "older" unless you consider 21-27 year olds "old." If so, then I find myself being quite put out at finding that I'm over the hill. :laugh: There are a few (think 2-3) students over 35.

There is NO emphasis at DMS on primary care, rural medicine, or internal medicine. Look at the match lists: only 15 of 47 4th years matched into primary care - that's 31.9% of the class, a bit lower than the national average of 44.3%. There were also 4 matched to radiology, 6 anesthesiology, 6 surgery, 2 neurosurgery, 2 orthopedic surgery, 2 ob/gyn, etc. More DMS 4th years match into competitive specialties than into "less-competitive" primary care fields. This is an ongoing trend as you look over the last three matches (in 2002, 20% of the class matched into IM, while 20% matched into radiology).

There are, indeed, lots of outdoor activities. It's also quite rural out here. It depends on who you are whether that's a plus or a minus.

I know nothing about Emory . . . . . . but I can tell you that DMS is a great place to be for me.