Dartmouth vs. UVM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Drloveme

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
are you a vermont resident? Have you lived in vermont?

I would pick burlington over hanover.

Assuming same cost (got scholarship from UVM), which one would you go to? I equally loved them both, but Burlington is soooo much better than Hanover. Any thoughts?

If you going with name recognition then DMS is the choice to go. UVM is still a big kept secret in my opinion :D.

Even though I havent had an oppurtunity to interview at DMS, I have also heard Burlington is a bit better town compared to Hanover. Perhaps you should also consider the curriculums of both schools before you make your final decision. Not sure about DMS, but UVM's curriculum is so different from the rest of the schools I visited.

good luck future classmate? heh.

Members don't see this ad :)

Hey, thanks for that link, YankeeCanuck. That was helpful.

I've been trying to find out more about the VIC as I compare UVM to Case and Brown. I haven't been accepted to UVM (waiting on the admissions decisions this week!), but I really love Burlington and would really be torn if I did get in.

Edited to add: This line on the page made me pause:
The group felt that realistically we should expect our students to be working sixty hours a week on average in classroom based activities and 70 hours per week in clinical rotations.
I guess I knew it was coming -- but that's what they plan for...so much for humanistic medicine. :p

This line on the page made me pause: I guess I knew it was coming -- but that's what they plan for...so much for humanistic medicine. :p

My jaw dropped when I read that too. I actually thought it ment 60 classroom hours. But it does take into account after class activities. Thus, according to them 1 hour of lecture = 2-3 hours of self study. Just like undergrad. Phew!

I interviewed at both places last year and having talked to a 4th year UVM student this year, here's my thoughts:

UVM:
Burlington seems like fun city.
Their med school looks great with the new renovations.
Their clinical curriculum is 1.5 years with ~4 weeks to study for boards. (makes harder to do ace the boards on compressed time)
2.5 years for clinical years (essentially 3rd year is ~1 1/2 years)
Some students had to scramble for residency
UVM's average Step I scores was 216 or 218 (2006), DMS's average Step I is 226 (2007, 100% pass)
It snows in mid-April

Dartmouth:
Free public transportation, although having a car is almost a must
Free lunches about 1-2 times a week
Free high speed wireless over all Hanover + hospital
Mp3 recorded lectures (for some classes)
Funding for international medicine during summer between 1st/2nd years
Cheap parking ($78/year)
No junk fastfood near campus (grr... but yay to Quiznos & Boloco!)
It snows in mid-April as well

Mixtil,
thanks for your feedback. Can you tell me a bit more about the away rotations? How many does the average student do? Can you also tell me more about the international medicine opps during the summer b/n MS I and II? thanks

I don't know much about away rotations. Most students do them in 4th year. International oppurtunities are funded by DMS 1-2K during the summer between 1st and 2nd year. Also, Dartmouth sometimes funds spring break service trips (this year to NO) for a group of ~10 students.