Dartmouth?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VCgirl

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has heard anything from Dartmouth recently. I interviewed Jan 17th and it has been silence ever since.

Members don't see this ad.

I interviewed Oct. 12th and haven't heard anything. Supposedly the assign your profile a score after your interview. Then as the interview season goes on, they lower their bar for acceptance and contact those accepted.

I was wondering if anyone has heard anything from Dartmouth recently. I interviewed Jan 17th and it has been silence ever since.

I interviewed in November and received a waitlist letter about 10 days ago. Bummer, but it's all good. Don't think I would have ended up there anyway.

Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed in very early oct and also have heard absolutely nada. Thinking of withdrawing at this point but I'm also tempted to just wait them out and see...

I was complete there in November and haven't heard anything since then -.-

I interviewed in very early oct and also have heard absolutely nada. Thinking of withdrawing at this point but I'm also tempted to just wait them out and see...

Max8, how could you not get accepted...? Your letter must have fallen off the back of the desk or something...

I was complete there in November and haven't heard anything since then -.-

still waiting for that envelope with the interview invite. Anyone know if there is any reason to continue holding my breath?

still waiting for that envelope with the interview invite. Anyone know if there is any reason to continue holding my breath?

Hey-
I interviewed at Dartmouth in early January and got a waitlist snail-mail letter last Friday....

Hey-
I interviewed at Dartmouth in early January and got a waitlist snail-mail letter last Friday....

I was asking whether there is still a chance to get an interview, however.

Max8, how could you not get accepted...? Your letter must have fallen off the back of the desk or something...

Maybe they're using it for rolling paper.

I was asking whether there is still a chance to get an interview, however.

I don't think they interview past the end of February. You could call and ask to make sure....sorry:(

When I called, I think they said they interviewed to the end of March

Members don't see this ad :)
When I called, I think they said they interviewed to the end of March

I guess this is the same old same old response, that the question is really whether they are done inviting, as opposed to done interviewing.

Anyone....Bueller?

I guess this is the same old same old response, that the question is really whether they are done inviting, as opposed to done interviewing.

Anyone....Bueller?

I got an invite about a week ago via snail mail. The had three dates available for early to mid March so I wouldn't be surprised if they had a few more invites left. I wasn't expecting to hear from them, so don't lose all hope yet.

Good luck.

i interviewed in September. i STILL haven't heard anything yet.

Has anyone received a post-interview acceptance that wasn't pretty quick after your interview date? Seems like the people who heard after a while were all rejections or waitlists. I've been waiting since September and I'm wondering if I should just expect a waitlist at some point or if there is still a chance for a late outright acceptance. anyone know??

Waitlisted yesterday. :rolleyes:

I interviewed in September and was accepted around October 15. They were pretty prompt, but they haven't really mailed me all of the letters and notes they are so famous for.

Has anyone received a post-interview acceptance that wasn't pretty quick after your interview date? Seems like the people who heard after a while were all rejections or waitlists. I've been waiting since September and I'm wondering if I should just expect a waitlist at some point or if there is still a chance for a late outright acceptance. anyone know??

I'm a first year MD/PhD at Dartmouth. The admissions office wouldn't still be interviewing (until March 27th I'm told) if there were no chance for an acceptance. They just have a ranking system where every candidate who is interviewed is assigned a score and people with a score above a certain value are accepted outright. They keep moving the score necessary for an acceptance down as the season goes on. If your score is low enough that they don't think they'll move the acceptance level enough this year, you're rejected (and this rejection level moves up as the interview season goes). Some people with scores between the rejection cut-off and somwhere below the acceptance threshold are waitlisted. If you haven't heard anything yet (or have been waitlisted), you may very well still have a good chance of acceptance but the score assigned to you hasn't quite been in the acceptance range yet. So, don't lost hope. Also, it's important to know that people get off the waitlist. MANY of my classmates were accepted off the waitlist, some as early as May and one (a great guy) as late as the first day of orientation.

So, don't lose hope! Also, I'd encourage those of you who are waitlisted (or who haven't heard yet) and who are still very interested in coming to Dartmouth to show your interest to the wonderful people who work in admissions (we really do have an amazingly nice and dedicated group of people working in admissions). Send updates, LOIs (if appropriate), etc. It can't hurt....

Also, if you have any other questions (about the school, the area, etc.), please feel free to post them or PM me.

i'm joining the waitlist crew today (interviewed second week in feb).....the earliest we can hear is late may? :eek: here's to hoping for good news!!!! :luck: :luck: :luck:

Interviewed in mid-February (right around Valentine's Day) and received my waitlist letter several days ago.

As I remember hearing from the woman with shorter hair (the one who meets with the interview group first in the conference room), Dartmouth assigns each interviewee a "batting average" after the Admissions Committee convenes to assess interviewed applicants. The interviewees are then placed on a list in numerical order, with the interviewee having the highest batting average located at the top of the list. Every so often the Director of Admissions decides to accept x number of students. The student with the highest batting average is picked first, then the second, etc.

She also mentioned that if your batting average places you in a spot that will not realistically be reached by the Director of Admisisons, you are waitlisted. So to those of you still waiting for a response, that's good news because your batting average at Dartmouth is somewhere that may be reached. Good luck to everyone.

Guess my batting average at Dartmouth wasn't too high this season...

For all those still waiting, I got a thin letter in the mail yesterday and after almost passing out thinking it was a rejection, i found out it was a letter from the director of admissions essentially saying they had not lost my application and I should expect to hear something latest at the end of April. I think they are sending it to everyone(that hasn't heard anything yet).

I interviewed at the end of October and haven't heard anything, I guessed this was good news but of late really started to wonder if they still had me on file, so the letter couldn't have come at a better time. But it would really be nice if they added a "CATCH YOUR BREATH, THIS IS NOT A REJECTION LETTER" phrase on the envelope.

I thought Dartmouth was a lost cause until the interview invite came in the mail today! Don't lose hope!

For all those still waiting, I got a thin letter in the mail yesterday and after almost passing out thinking it was a rejection, i found out it was a letter from the director of admissions essentially saying they had not lost my application and I should expect to hear something latest at the end of April. I think they are sending it to everyone(that hasn't heard anything yet).

I interviewed at the end of October and haven't heard anything, I guessed this was good news but of late really started to wonder if they still had me on file, so the letter couldn't have come at a better time. But it would really be nice if they added a "CATCH YOUR BREATH, THIS IS NOT A REJECTION LETTER" phrase on the envelope.

i just got this same letter today (i interviewed in SEPT!!). i also thought i would finally be getting a waitlist (doubted they would wait this long for a rejection). The way I see it now is that we could still have a chance for an outright acceptance in April OR we will be fairly high on their waitlist (we'd have to be, right? if we've made it this far in their ranking without a decision??).

I got the same letter, and almost had a heart attack. I guess its a good sign and means we are high up on the list? Do you think at this point its just a wait and see, or do you think it is worth sending a letter of intent?

I got the same letter, and almost had a heart attack. I guess its a good sign and means we are high up on the list? Do you think at this point its just a wait and see, or do you think it is worth sending a letter of intent?

i think at this point it seems like a wait and see because of their complex ranking system. but there is still a good chance we'll be on the waitlist and it seems a letter of intent would come handy then. g'luck to us!! hopefully we won't *actually* have to wait til the end of April... that is 7 months post-interview for me!!

Me too.... I don't understand why they can't just decide already, what are they waiting for, an eclipse on the same night we get 3 feet of snow? I interviewed in early October.

Me too.... I don't understand why they can't just decide already, what are they waiting for, an eclipse on the same night we get 3 feet of snow? I interviewed in early October.

:laugh: seriously. i interviewed in September. this application process is too funny sometimes.

nothing since the "we haven't forgotten about you" letter

nothing since the "we haven't forgotten about you" letter

interviewed beginning of feb....waitlist letter beginning of march....a fabulous girl who interviewed with me got accepted yesterday!!!!! (no waitlist)....she rocks!!!!

good luck:luck: :luck: :luck:

Is there anyone who hasn't heard back from Dartmouth yet? And also, do you know how large their waitlist is? I know it's unranked, but any insights on how it works? Thanks!!!

i still haven't heard yet. and I interviewed in September!

because they just finished interviewing... i had one of the last two days, which ended mar 27. I, of course, havent heard anything yet.

Nada since the "we didn't forget you" letter....
It's the only school I haven't heard from, which is rather funny since it was one of my very first interviews.

Is there anyone who hasn't heard back from Dartmouth yet? And also, do you know how large their waitlist is? I know it's unranked, but any insights on how it works? Thanks!!!

Just bumping to see if anyone knows about the waitlist thing? It appears that everyone who interviews is placed on the waitlist if they are not accepted. Have there been any post-interview rejections? If this is indeed the case, then I can realistically just assume that I will not be getting off the waitlist, since that would be an extremely large number of waitlisted applicants. :eek:

They do reject post-interview, but I don't think they reject many. Their waitlist is probably pretty big. Also, how do we know that the waitlist is unranked since some people are waitlisted quickly after an interview and some are months after because of their decision ranking system?

And has anyone heard anything recently? I interviewed in Sept. and still nothing.

They do reject post-interview, but I don't think they reject many. Their waitlist is probably pretty big. Also, how do we know that the waitlist is unranked since some people are waitlisted quickly after an interview and some are months after because of their decision ranking system?

And has anyone heard anything recently? I interviewed in Sept. and still nothing.

The letter sent out to waitlisters includes a factoid sheet that states that the waitlist is not ranked. If a spot opens up the committee re-reviews the waitlist pool and then selects a replacement.