Dartmouth?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The letter sent out to waitlisters includes a factoid sheet that states that the waitlist is not ranked. If a spot opens up the committee re-reviews the waitlist pool and then selects a replacement.

gotcha. thanks for the info.

Members don't see this ad.

that late march interviewees are auto waitlist, or are there spots still open?

yea, i'll probably withdraw within the next week too. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks to those not waiting until May 15 to withdraw!!

Yes, thank you. Silence from Dartmouth is killing me - nothing since the "we haven't forgotten" letter. Anyone know their timeline for adcom meetings and decisions?

-

Last edited:
their last meeting is this next thursday... i know nothing else...

HUH?

It's either this, or it's next, or neither. It's not both.

Can you clarify? Perhaps say, the 12th or 19th.

Last edited:
Just got my 'Wait List' Letter today in the mail. Oh well, was hoping for an acceptance. :( I wonder what the odds are for us waitlisters? Seems like there are many waitlisted candidates.

When did you interview?

Received a Dartmouth acceptance by snail mail yesterday (4/10)! Good luck to everyone waiting, I've heard that in the past the majority of the class has been filled by waitlisted people.

Members don't see this ad :)
anyone hear that interviewed ages ago?? are were all of you recent interviewees??

does dartmouth ever tell people where they are on the waitlist?

Dartmouth doesn't rank, so to speak. You get a score that is the initial basis of acceptance, waitlist, and non-acceptance. But after all that is determined, they say that they put everyone in the same pile and review that entire pile each time they have an opening in the class...

I interviewed the first week of November. I'm still waiting on the edge of my seat.

Dartmouth doesn't rank, so to speak. You get a score that is the initial basis of acceptance, waitlist, and non-acceptance. But after all that is determined, they say that they put everyone in the same pile and review that entire pile each time they have an opening in the class...

thanks. is there any way to know approximately how many people dartmouth places on the waiting list in a given year?

thanks. is there any way to know approximately how many people dartmouth places on the waiting list in a given year?

You could call and ask. I don't know that any school has a set number that they keep on the waiting list.

anyone hear that interviewed ages ago?? are were all of you recent interviewees??

Hi kbear,

I interviewed ages ago (in the early fall) and have not heard anything (although I did get the "We have not forgotten you" letter...which I appreciated).

I figure that if you have not heard anything for so long, you will be low (score-wise)in the acceptance pile or at least reasonably high on the waitlist pile (even if they don't officially rank...you have not already been waitlisted...you are still in the running..so I interpret that as a good sign. So, even if waitlisted, I am sure you have a good shot at acceptance.)

I hope that you receive some good news soon.

Hi kbear,

I interviewed ages ago (in the early fall) and have not heard anything (although I did get the "We have not forgotten you" letter...which I appreciated).

I figure that if you have not heard anything for so long, you will be low (score-wise)in the acceptance pile or at least reasonably high on the waitlist pile (even if they don't officially rank...you have not already been waitlisted...you are still in the running..so I interpret that as a good sign. So, even if waitlisted, I am sure you have a good shot at acceptance.)

I hope that you receive some good news soon.

Thanks, Kouhiiko! i am hoping the same thing! :) good luck to both of us... hopefully we'll hear something by the end of the month!!

I'm a first year MD/PhD at Dartmouth. The admissions office wouldn't still be interviewing (until March 27th I'm told) if there were no chance for an acceptance. They just have a ranking system where every candidate who is interviewed is assigned a score and people with a score above a certain value are accepted outright. They keep moving the score necessary for an acceptance down as the season goes on. If your score is low enough that they don't think they'll move the acceptance level enough this year, you're rejected (and this rejection level moves up as the interview season goes). Some people with scores between the rejection cut-off and somwhere below the acceptance threshold are waitlisted. If you haven't heard anything yet (or have been waitlisted), you may very well still have a good chance of acceptance but the score assigned to you hasn't quite been in the acceptance range yet. So, don't lost hope. Also, it's important to know that people get off the waitlist. MANY of my classmates were accepted off the waitlist, some as early as May and one (a great guy) as late as the first day of orientation.

So, don't lose hope! Also, I'd encourage those of you who are waitlisted (or who haven't heard yet) and who are still very interested in coming to Dartmouth to show your interest to the wonderful people who work in admissions (we really do have an amazingly nice and dedicated group of people working in admissions). Send updates, LOIs (if appropriate), etc. It can't hurt....

Also, if you have any other questions (about the school, the area, etc.), please feel free to post them or PM me.

Being a classmate of Mr. Physix (who is a fine gentleman), I corroborate everything he says. I got one of those infamous "We have not forgotten you letters" after not hearing anything for ~1/2 year last year. Out of a class-size of 82 (DMS+Brown), I would wager around 20 students matriculated off the waitlist. They follow the post-interview score but not in a strict sense. In my estimation, if you got the "we have not forgotten you" you have a very realistic chance.

This year, I think the class size is going to be smaller (~73-75 DMS students)
They also interviewed a lot of students this year since it is atypical for interview season to stretch to end of March.

Does anyone know when Dartmouth usually starts taking students from the waitlist?

Does anyone know when Dartmouth usually starts taking students from the waitlist?

but I've now officially joined you on it. It was nice of them to send along that explanatory note...made me feel SO much better. What really warms my heart is the part about taking people off the waitlist right up to the day before orientation. Isn't that convenient for people who have significant other's who are trying to uproot their whole lives in order to move. Yeh, sure is.

This whole application process needs a major revamp, but without a doubt, the waitlist procedure has got to be the most infuriating.

but I've now officially joined you on it. It was nice of them to send along that explanatory note...made me feel SO much better. What really warms my heart is the part about taking people off the waitlist right up to the day before orientation. Isn't that convenient for people who have significant other's who are trying to uproot their whole lives in order to move. Yeh, sure is.

This whole application process needs a major revamp, but without a doubt, the waitlist procedure has got to be the most infuriating.

I have to agree with you here. The one easier part of my move, is that my husband is staying put regardless thanks to the military,so at least it'll be just me struggling to find a place if it turns up last moment. Talk about stress and frustration, no matter what though...

Amen. I have a friend waiting to hear from UC Davis (her top choice). They still haven't gotten around to reviewing the people they interviewed in *January*, and don't plan on getting to making those acceptance decisions until May. It's crazy.

Any recent news for those folks who have been waiting for several months? Decisions should be made soon, right?

I hope so! Walking to the mailbox is always SO painful. I thought that the last meeting was last Thurs - does the lack of mail mean a waitlist? a rejection? I've given up trying to predict.

Thoughts?

I hope so! Walking to the mailbox is always SO painful. I thought that the last meeting was last Thurs - does the lack of mail mean a waitlist? a rejection? I've given up trying to predict.

Thoughts?

I think at this point it has to either be a waitlist or a rejection. I am on the west coast though so I assume I'll be one of the last to receive any mail. Hang in there, DrMichelle! Good to know there are a few of us left that are still waiting!!

I think at this point it has to either be a waitlist or a rejection. I am on the west coast though so I assume I'll be one of the last to receive any mail. Hang in there, DrMichelle! Good to know there are a few of us left that are still waiting!!

Hey, I've seen you on the UCLA thread, too. Sounds like you've got a lot of waiting to do. Replace Dartmouth (I was waitlisted earlier in the season) with Baylor (I have yet to hear from them post-interview) and we're in pretty similar waiting situations. Good luck!

Hey all, I wanted to let you know i FINALLY got a waitlist letter from Dartmouth last night after waiting for 6+ months. Oh well, we'll see what happens!

Mortal Lessons, thanks for the support!

DrMichelle, I'm hoping you received better news than I did!

KBear12 - sadly I got the same letter you did :( Oh well, better than a rejection. Are you planning on staying on the waitlist? I got discouraged by their waitlist information saying that on a good year they take less than 20 from the waitlist.

Hang in there!

I'm sorry to hear about the delayed waitlist letter. I received mine about a month after my interview. Maybe you're one of those buffer candidates, with scores either near rejection, or acceptance?

@Dr. Michelle, 20 people is not insignificant! it only means that 20 of the waitlisted and accepted candidates matriculated. They may take more people off the list.

I got discouraged by their waitlist information saying that on a good year they take less than 20 from the waitlist.

Twenty people matriculating off of the waitlist is no small number. The class of 2011 will be 73 people (with 15 of those spots reserved for special cases: 5 MD/PhD, 5 people in the Maine program, and 5 from NH). So, really, the majority of the people on the waitlist are waiting to fill one of the 58 remaining spots. If they were to have 20 people matriculate off the waitlist this year that would basically mean that a third of next year's class (of non-special-case students) would be coming from the waitlist. Also, 20 is just a time average. It's entirely possible that more will come off the waitlist this year. So, while I'm not trying to give you false hope, don't be too discouraged by the number of people who matriculate from the waitlist. Good luck! :luck:

Don't give up hope yet Kbear and DrMichelle- This whole thing is far from over! And at least this is a different kind of limbo now. If Dartmouth's where you want to be, just hold on tight!!!

Hi All, I wanted to post an update and say that I've been pulled off the waitlist!! DrMichelle, how are you doing?? I am hoping you got a call too or are next in line! Thanks for all of the support on this thread. It was a loooong wait.

Congrats KBear! I'm still waiting with fingers crossed and hoping that I get a call like you :)

Congrats, you totally deserve it - good to hear that the WL is moving!

Thanks!! You guys have been so supportive and I'm just waiting for the rest of you to get good news now!

wow!!!congrats to everyone that got off the waitlist!!!that's so exciting that the waitlist is moving! i definitely thought it would take a long time. i hope that means that movement continues;) Dartmouth is definitely my first choice.