Dartmouth?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I have been patiently waiting for my rejection for 3 months (I know, not that long), when I recieved an email from Dartmouth. Do they have a podiatry school? Did I get a special e-rejection? No. My application is complete - again. Hmm... Can I just have my money back?

So there is an envelope from DMS at my parents house, and I am too chicken to ask them to open it. Anyone know if there was recently a batch of rejections/invites sent out :scared::scared: :confused::confused::scared::scared:

Members don't see this ad.

So there is an envelope from DMS at my parents house, and I am too chicken to ask them to open it. Anyone know if there was recently a batch of rejections/invites sent out :scared::scared: :confused::confused::scared::scared:

Maybe so. I got an interview invite in the mail on Saturday (came in a thin envelope). I've been complete since Sept. 6!

I got an invite in the mail on Saturday too... I have been complete since the end of sept.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got an invite in the mail on Saturday too... I have been complete since the end of sept.

I really hope you are right people :scared:, I was complete in September too!!!

do schools usually send out invites at the same time as rejections?

do schools usually send out invites at the same time as rejections?

Yes. The envelope looks the same too. When I got mail from Dartmouth I was like ugh, rejected, but it was an invite!

did anyone receive a rejection from Dartmouth this Saturday? :scared:

Every one who got an invite on Saturday, are you on the east coast? Is it possible some people wull get their invites on Mon. or Tues? Just trying to hope for the best!:D

Yes, I am on the mid-Atlantic. Hope you get good news in the mail soon!

Every one who got an invite on Saturday, are you on the east coast? Is it possible some people wull get their invites on Mon. or Tues? Just trying to hope for the best!:D

I am in Cali, I got a letter at my parents house on Saturday, but I live an hour away and don't want them to open it, trying to find out from people if it was only invites or if some people got rejections :scared:

I am in Cali, I got a letter at my parents house on Saturday, but I live an hour away and don't want them to open it, trying to find out from people if it was only invites or if some people got rejections :scared:

Haha. Just man up and go open it already. :p

Members don't see this ad :)
I thought that Dartmouth had already given out some acceptances. For those that interviewed, do you remember when they said we could expect to hear from them?

I got this thin-envelope a couple weeks back that resembled everyother one page rejection notice. Not this time. Invite. :)

I know the area is cold, the Hospital has limited patient diversity, and the town has less than 10k, but damned, that school impressed me. Its clinic is start of the art, their faculty are the most dedicated to their students success I have ever seen (that includes UCSF!), the class size is small enough to foster cooperation and personable relationships, and the residency matching list is upwards of 95%. Plus, the school is over 300 years old! :eek:

DMS isn't the best with financial aid, and money is an important factor. However, if you can tolerate cold weather, pull a bit more money out of your pocket, and deal with the same town environment, the school will pay you back exponentially in your future opportunities. :thumbup:

i thought dms has great need-based financial aid...avg debt was much lower than other schools...

I have been complete since 9/12 and have not heard ANYTHING...no letter (interview or rejection) on Saturday either.

I think I was complete in Sept, and got a letter at my parents house, but I don't know if it's an invite or rejection. I know a couple of people got invites last Saturday, but I am wondering if anyone got rejections? :scared:

i thought dms has great need-based financial aid...avg debt was much lower than other schools...

No matter how much money you "need", they make you take out the full loan package (I believe it is to up 25k or so) before they offer you any free money. That means anyone attending the school can be sure to have at least nearly 100k of debt. That doesn't particularly stand out, but it's certainly not as appealing as schools like WashU that offer you 50% loan/50% free money based on your need.

I think I was complete in Sept, and got a letter at my parents house, but I don't know if it's an invite or rejection. I know a couple of people got invites last Saturday, but I am wondering if anyone got rejections? :scared:

For the love of all that is holy open the GD letter already this is the third or fourth time you've mentioned it in this thread. Yeah for your letter. :thumbup::thumbup:

TM

some people on here and I were complete in the first half of Sept and just got invites, so I'd say it takes 'em ~ 3 months to evaluate your file and decide on an invite.

Freezing my ass off for a few years doesn't bother me that much, but apparent lack of nightlife in Hanover is somewhat troubling to me :(. For any Dartmouth people out there, do you feel like your life is balanced? Do you get to socialize, go out/hang/hook up? Are there any clubs, bars, dance places in Hanover? How's female population of Dartmouth/Hanover :D?

How do Dartmouth students do in matching into top programs, like derm and rads? :confused:

How do Dartmouth students do in matching into top programs, like derm and rads? :confused:

They do great at match. As far as females go, I was happy with the scenery of both the applicant pool and the locals :) haha. Beautiful campus environment in every way! It's also only 90 min from Boston so...

They do great at match. As far as females go, I was happy with the scenery of both the applicant pool and the locals :) haha. Beautiful campus environment in every way! It's also only 90 min from Boston so...
:thumbup:

would it be reasonable to drive to Dartmouth in Jan., in a corolla? I'm not worried about distance but rather the driving conditions... thoughts?

so I saw on their website that they interview 800 people :eek::eek::eek::eek: for 70 seats, does anyone know how many they accept, and what are the chances of getting accepted after an interview?

The numbers from the US news show
3726 applied, 673 interviewed, 259 accepted, and 82 enrolled.

So if you get offered an interview looks like you have about a 40% shot.

Wow I can't believe they accept such a large number of applicants for such a small class. I wonder why students opt to go elsewhere.

The numbers from the US news show
3726 applied, 673 interviewed, 259 accepted, and 82 enrolled.

So if you get offered an interview looks like you have about a 40% shot.

Wow I can't believe they accept such a large number of applicants for such a small class. I wonder why students opt to go elsewhere.
I guess because it's in Hanover:confused:

But their match list look stellar, 7 people matched into derm :eek::eek::eek::eek:

would it be reasonable to drive to Dartmouth in Jan., in a corolla? I'm not worried about distance but rather the driving conditions... thoughts?

Of course it's reasonable - you're going to New Hampshire, not Siberia.

Where are you driving from? Chances are if you're within driving distance, you already have experience with comparable weather and road coditions. Snow tires are recommended but not a requirement, and checking the forecast is important. Don't drive up in the middle of a blizzard if you can help it, stop and wait for the plows to clear the highways if you're in the middle of a storm, but otherwise you don't need to worry about it.

(For what it's worth, I drove a '79 Corolla when I was a Dartmouth undergrad and never had a problem.)

anyone know if they are p/f, there is class rank?

anyone know if they are p/f, there is class rank?

honors/pass/fail IIRC. From what I could tell, the atmosphere wasn't super competitive and the students were happy and had plenty of stuff to do. My tour guide mentioned she had already gone skiing twice this season and it was only early December! Considering I lived 15 minutes from Mt. High during my postbac years and went three times the whole season, I'd say that's pretty good!

I guess because it's in Hanover:confused:

But their match list look stellar, 7 people matched into derm :eek::eek::eek::eek:

Their match list is definitely good but remember that there's a hardcore selection bias when it comes to match lists. Suffice it to say that if you do well in any Ivy you'll be just fine when it comes time to match, though.

Of course it's reasonable - you're going to New Hampshire, not Siberia.

Where are you driving from? Chances are if you're within driving distance, you already have experience with comparable weather and road coditions. Snow tires are recommended but not a requirement, and checking the forecast is important. Don't drive up in the middle of a blizzard if you can help it, stop and wait for the plows to clear the highways if you're in the middle of a storm, but otherwise you don't need to worry about it.

(For what it's worth, I drove a '79 Corolla when I was a Dartmouth undergrad and never had a problem.)

thanks for the advice, I think I'll do it. I'm in Virginia, by the way. Three inches cause some mayhem down here, but I would assume the road teams in NH are used to it. I mostly want to drive because I have a friend in Boston I'd like to visit as well. - I have a '92 Corolla.

thanks for the advice, I think I'll do it. I'm in Virginia, by the way. Three inches cause some mayhem down here, but I would assume the road teams in NH are used to it. I mostly want to drive because I have a friend in Boston I'd like to visit as well. - I have a '92 Corolla.

You may also want to check out the price of flying. I flew into Manchester and rented a car, and the rental was only $40 or so for 2 days with unlimited mileage. If you can get a cheap flight into Boston or Manchester it may save you money (as well as time)

You may also want to check out the price of flying. I flew into Manchester and rented a car, and the rental was only $40 or so for 2 days with unlimited mileage. If you can get a cheap flight into Boston or Manchester it may save you money (as well as time)

sweet!!!!!!!!

is it realistic to sleep in the car, though if i don't get a student host?

sweet!!!!!!!!

LOL... I wouldn't do that... it might not be the safest to have the car on and it'd be super cold if you left it off. I wish I'd just stayed in the airport though, the night before my flight. I stayed at some hotel in Manchester for $85 a night and was there for four hours before I had to go to the airport :mad:

I stayed at the Holiday Inn in White River Junction and it was $80 or so, and had free breakfast.

sweet!!!!!!!!

If you're not used to the weather, it'll be pretty dang cold. Bring lots of insulation. Definitely wishing you good luck with the student host :luck:

I've been complete since late September and haven't heard anything either. The waiting is excruciating...

Dumb Question, But does Dartmouth screen Pre-secondary?

I did - it would be more expensive, but not extrodinarily so, the time is not too different either though. At another time I might fly. But I'm off that week and I'm planning to visit my friend in Boston.

Not gonna say sleeping in my car didn't cross my mind, but I'll need a shower;).

By the way. As I will pass through NYC, is it too much of a stretch to tell Cornell I will "be in the area."? I guess it is a policy mostly for NYC interviews...

Just got my rejection in the mail, dated for 12/12. Was completed in July.

Thanks drizzt. Like Phoenix said, pre-interview rejections are not as bad as post-interview. *sigh* but still...

^_^ good luck!

Just got my rejection in the mail, dated for 12/12. Was completed in July.

sorry dude, got flushed by UCSF today :(. this process is worse than waterboarding :thumbdown:

Oh, Virginia - so then forget what I said about conditions being comparable! Do you have any experience driving in the snow? First, the road crews do know how to handle it and will have everything in good condition shortly after the snow stops falling. But if you've never dealt with (real) winter conditions, here are a few quick tips:

Like I said before, watch the weather reports and avoid driving in a storm if you can help it. If conditions get bad, get off the roads and wait out the weather in a parking lot.

If there's snow on the road while you're driving, do everything more slowly than you think you need to. That means drive at a slower speed, don't brake hard, don't accelerate quickly, and don't swerve suddenly. (Drive like there's a full glass of water in the seat next to you that you don't want to spill.) The snow means you've got less traction to work with, and you don't want your wheels' static friction to switch to kinetic!

The good news is that you can go from Boston all the way to Hanover on interstates (93 -> 89 -> 91), so you won't have to deal with any winding mountain roads.

Oh, Virginia - so then forget what I said about conditions being comparable! Do you have any experience driving in the snow? First, the road crews do know how to handle it and will have everything in good condition shortly after the snow stops falling. But if you've never dealt with (real) winter conditions, here are a few quick tips:

Like I said before, watch the weather reports and avoid driving in a storm if you can help it. If conditions get bad, get off the roads and wait out the weather in a parking lot.

If there's snow on the road while you're driving, do everything more slowly than you think you need to. That means drive at a slower speed, don't brake hard, don't accelerate quickly, and don't swerve suddenly. (Drive like there's a full glass of water in the seat next to you that you don't want to spill.) The snow means you've got less traction to work with, and you don't want your wheels' static friction to switch to kinetic!

The good news is that you can go from Boston all the way to Hanover on interstates (93 -> 89 -> 91), so you won't have to deal with any winding mountain roads.

If I were to rent a car, how long do you think is a ride from Boston to Hanover?