Dartmouth?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hp540

3 pages per minute
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone getting any love from Dartmouth?

I know they're sending out invites, but I'm wondering if it's been a trickle or a flood. I've been complete for a long time...would sure love to hear something from them.

Members don't see this ad.

sorry about this, i'm sure it has been asked elsewhere BUT...

how do you know when you are complete at dartmouth? snailmail?

Members don't see this ad :)
Okay....but you were complete maybe two weeks ago?

i was complete in early august and got an interview invite in late august for a mid september interview....

from what i can tell tho, they are very slow because everything is done manually...

dartmouth is pretty slow with their invites. i was complete in july sometime and got an invite a few weeks ago. have faith!

They cashed my check, but that's all I've heard from them.

sorry about this, i'm sure it has been asked elsewhere BUT...

how do you know when you are complete at dartmouth? snailmail?

Yup if I remember correctly. They also send out invites via snail mail---that's what the complete letter said because I am still waiting for an invite too.

I received a rejection letter today (10/18) via snail mail dated 10/15. I was complete since 7/26.

Oh well...

I received an email saying I was complete on 9/20 (a day after my MCATs were released). Nothing since then, but looking at the rejections thread it looks like there was a big 10/15 mailing. I'm a little weary of the mailbox these past few days...

I'm interviewing there in a few weeks, but it seems like they are already giving out acceptances to some people

I received an email saying I was complete on 9/20 (a day after my MCATs were released). Nothing since then, but looking at the rejections thread it looks like there was a big 10/15 mailing. I'm a little weary of the mailbox these past few days...

I was complete on 9/19, and when I called today, the lady at the admissions office told me that I should probably expect a reply within two weeks.

anybody get a post-interview rejection yet?

I got pre-interview rejected yesterday. Horray!

Members don't see this ad :)
I was complete on 9/19, and when I called today, the lady at the admissions office told me that I should probably expect a reply within two weeks.

i was complete on 9/05,,so i should expect something like..now...
well..i should just prepare myself to receive that thin envelope like everybody else had..

I wonder how thick an interview invite is - can't be that much in it, can there? I'm hoping for another 30 seconds of suspense.

I got rejected too. I love how the letter started out, "I am writing to share what I believe will be disappointing news." Haha.

I got rejected too. I love how the letter started out, "I am writing to share what I believe will be disappointing news." Haha.

They could at least say "here is some good news and some bad news...."

"The good news is you won't have to spend four years freezing your ass off, at our school anyway"

"The good news is you won't have to spend four years freezing your ass off, at our school anyway"

They should have a questionnaire which asks applicants how they feel about frost bite.

Haha.

I checked my mailbox again today. I think that's all the mail I'm going to get this Friday...so if there's a rejection, it's either taking its sweet sweet time getting up here or they're continuing to ignore me.

dartmouth is out in the middle of nowhere, doesnt that bother any of you?

dartmouth is out in the middle of nowhere, doesnt that bother any of you?

Appending: "The good news is you won't have to spend four years freezing your ass off in the middle of nowhere"

They cashed my check, but that's all I've heard from them.

word. this is one of multiple schools where the only way i knew they received it is when they cashed the check. they like the money more than me.

Their office is really nice though, so I won't feel too bad if they reject me.

*crosses fingers* Let's hope there's only good news in the mail today!

where do you do your rotations at dartmouth? wouldn't you want to be... near people for this?

ROFL! Yeah, gotta love the generic "you suck" letters. I'm glad to know I'm not the only enjoying the lack of love from Dartmouth. I hope the rest go much better, though. I have already had four interviews, so there is still hope, I hope!

hey guys,

wow im behind all of you guys here.... but i just had a quick question regarding dartmouth's secondary. for the question that states "please share with us something about yourself that is not addressed elsewhere in your application and which could be helpful to the Adcom as we review your file"

is this just like one of those essays that if you had some event (like financial troubles/illness/family troubles) to explain how that could have affected your undergrad performance?

or it is like a second personal statement?! it seems kinda pointless to highlight the same qualities/experiences twice....

is this just like one of those essays that if you had some event (like financial troubles/illness/family troubles) to explain how that could have affected your undergrad performance

I did not take it as such. I described a part of my life that was non-academic and non-medically related, but was important to me.

good luck

I forgot to add - thanks for reminding me I haven't heard anything from Dartmouth!

I always forget about this snail mail school

where do you do your rotations at dartmouth? wouldn't you want to be... near people for this?

i'm a first year at dartmouth right now. so you can direct any questions to me if you want. pm or post here's good.

for those wondering what the hell? hanover, nh? yea i'm not gonna lie. this is rural. i grew up near nyc and went to college in boston, so i know cities. to be honest, the small town of hanover hasn't bothered me much so far. surely i might not be able to hop on a subway and get to big shopping malls, five star restaurants or fancy clubs. but really. you really don't have time in med school for all that anyways, and i'm thankful that i don't have that many distractions. if you want to get away for a weekend, boston is about 2 hrs away, nyc is about 5 hrs, even less if you like to drive fast. and yes this place is gorgeous. sure if you truly love big cities, maybe dartmouth isn't the place for you, but that's up to you to decide. i think that the education and the information you will get in medical school doesn't differ that much from place to place, so location and people are much more important.

as far as patient population goes, DHMC is the largest hospital north of boston, so pretty much everyone in the northern new england area come here for treatment. for rotations, we have a lot of locations in the new england area, and if you want places further away, we have florida keys, orange county and san francisco among many more.

for those who interviewed already. the one recommendation i have is to write a letter of interest or intent to the admissions office. not just a couple of lines you throw together, but an actual letter indicating your sincere interest in dartmouth, why do you like it here, why do you see yourself here, etc. i know that many other schools don't even look at letters they receive, but i know that darmouth does, puts everything in your file and definitely considers your efforts and interest when making a decision.

hope this helps.

Thanks for the tip re letter of interest!

Anyone getting any love from Dartmouth?

I know they're sending out invites, but I'm wondering if it's been a trickle or a flood. I've been complete for a long time...would sure love to hear something from them.

It's been a month for me.

i'm a first year at dartmouth right now. so you can direct any questions to me if you want. pm or post here's good.

for those wondering what the hell? hanover, nh? yea i'm not gonna lie. this is rural. i grew up near nyc and went to college in boston, so i know cities. to be honest, the small town of hanover hasn't bothered me much so far. surely i might not be able to hop on a subway and get to big shopping malls, five star restaurants or fancy clubs. but really. you really don't have time in med school for all that anyways, and i'm thankful that i don't have that many distractions. if you want to get away for a weekend, boston is about 2 hrs away, nyc is about 5 hrs, even less if you like to drive fast. and yes this place is gorgeous. sure if you truly love big cities, maybe dartmouth isn't the place for you, but that's up to you to decide. i think that the education and the information you will get in medical school doesn't differ that much from place to place, so location and people are much more important.

as far as patient population goes, DHMC is the largest hospital north of boston, so pretty much everyone in the northern new england area come here for treatment. for rotations, we have a lot of locations in the new england area, and if you want places further away, we have florida keys, orange county and san francisco among many more.

for those who interviewed already. the one recommendation i have is to write a letter of interest or intent to the admissions office. not just a couple of lines you throw together, but an actual letter indicating your sincere interest in dartmouth, why do you like it here, why do you see yourself here, etc. i know that many other schools don't even look at letters they receive, but i know that darmouth does, puts everything in your file and definitely considers your efforts and interest when making a decision.

hope this helps.

Just to help clarify for me, as for letters of interest, would these be good after an interview, or after a waitlisting. I interviewed awhile ago at Darmouth (told us possible decision Nov 1st, tomorrow). So I am probably going to wait for a decision and if it is waitlist, send a letter of interest.
I just feel weird about the LOI. Of course I'm interested in your school. I spent almost $400 applying and going to visit it. But I guess if they need you to jump through another hoop to prove you love their school, I will.

Thanks for the tip re letter of interest!

Yes, thanks, I think...the more people that write a LOI (ie, everyone on SDN that reads this thread), the less helpful it will become! :)

I just feel weird about the LOI. Of course I'm interested in your school. I spent almost $400 applying and going to visit it. But I guess if they need you to jump through another hoop to prove you love their school, I will.

don't look at it as jumping through more hoops, it's more like making yourself a better applicant. when it comes down to decision time and there are 2 equally qualified candidates, who are they going to pick? i think most likely the student who exhibits genuine interest in coming and who will mostly likely enroll if accepted, because i'm sure there are a lot of students who applied just to increase their chances of getting in SOMEwhere.

Yes, thanks, I think...the more people that write a LOI (ie, everyone on SDN that reads this thread), the less helpful it will become! :)

well writing a LOI won't automatically put you on the top of the list. the big part of it still comes from the apps so if you're qualified enough, you still have a high probability of getting in no matter what other people do.

uh you got a letter? i sent them an email and they said it's complete and they'll send me a letter saying so

that was on 10/04 and i still have not gotten that complete letter

They sent an email saying it was complete, about two weeks after the LORs (last part) were posted.

Clearly Dartmouth hates me because i have never heard from them...in close to three months.

Same here. I'm thinking of calling, but at the same time I'm not sure I'd go to a Dartmouth interview if offered.

It takes them about 2.5 months, there's still chance yet.

Haven't heard from Dartmouth myself, though.

as mr welch said....no news is good news....i've been waiting for about five weeks since my interview now

Bump.

It's been a while since there were any postings about Dartmouth (I think). . .anyone have any news from/about DMS? As for me, it's been 5 weeks or so since I interviewed, and no word. No new is good news, I know, but that doesn't mean I can't be restless and impatient about it and check my mail with a slightly higher pulse rate. I bet it's nice up there in the mountains right now. I liked how the school owns huts you can cross country ski to and spend the night.

9 weeks since my interview, no news yet....

10 weeks for me...and to think there's 12 more weeks before non-rolling schools give out decisions....my...god....

I have been patiently waiting for my rejection for 3 months (I know, not that long), when I recieved an email from Dartmouth. Do they have a podiatry school? Did I get a special e-rejection? No. My application is complete - again. Hmm... Can I just have my money back?