• Pharmacy Job Market Webinar

Are you considering applying to pharmacy school but are concerned about job prospects when you graduate? Join us on Wednesday, July 28th at 8 PM Eastern to hear from three PharmDs about their experiences and options outside of retail pharmacy.

Solstica

10+ Year Member
Sep 10, 2006
Status (Visible)
I recently took DAT second time and got 22+ on Bio, GChem, & Ochem part. It is an improvement of 4 points average than the 1st DAT on all the science. However, because I was so worry about the science and didn't focus on the PAT and reading, so I got 17s for those sections. No interviews yet, so I'm thinking of taking it a 3rd time to improve the PAT and reading part to get ready for the next cycle. What do you guys think?

djeffreyt

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 4, 2006
Dallas
Status (Visible)
  1. Dentist
I think it might be a mistake to take it a third time.

It's not easy to score higher than a 22, but your scores could easily drop from a 22. PAT isn't that important to most schools, so a 17 isn't a big deal. It's your call, but my feeling is that you may not have gotten interviews if your 2nd set of DAT scores didn't get into the schools early enough. When did you retake the DATs?

If you retook it now, it's probably too late for this cycle anyway, I would just hold out for next cycle and reapply with the same 2nd DAT scores.

shamrock2006

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 9, 2006
Nowhere and Everywhere
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
I wouldn't retake it...getting a 22+ isn't easy to do once, let alone twice. 17 PAT wont hurt you...the 17 rc might cause a little hesitation, but I think your high science scores should make up for it. if you haven't gotten any interviews yet, i'm sure it isn't b/c of your DAT. Might be b/c of something else on your app, or maybe you applied later than you should..but I think overall your DAT should be acceptable. Just my opinion. If you feel you can do better a 3rd time, then by all means go for it. best of luck!

About the Ads

mmasurf

10+ Year Member
Dec 5, 2006
Status (Visible)
but guys its the end of February and he hasn't landed an interview yet even with a 22, its like on the MCAT where ppl get 33 and then they have a 7 in the English part and really high in the parts that don't matter. PAT is very important for many schools and aside from the English section its one of the most significant sections.

Drill2Fill

DentalStudentWannabe
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 21, 2006
Tejas
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
but guys its the end of February and he hasn't landed an interview yet even with a 22, its like on the MCAT where ppl get 33 and then they have a 7 in the English part and really high in the parts that don't matter. PAT is very important for many schools and aside from the English section its one of the most significant sections.

How long ago did you take the DAT, with an AA of 22, and a PAT of 17 you should be golden.

TheBestDoctor

10+ Year Member
Nov 22, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
how the heck did you not get an interview with 22s? did you kill someone or what? those are higher than the national average. btw, does your score on the dat replace the one you took earlier, which means they dont go by the highest score but the most recentone?

rals

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 30, 2005
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
I took my DATs in early January for the first time, and although my gpa is not particularly high, I think I'm a pretty good applicant otherwise. It's really hard to get schools to look at you when they get scores so late. I'm sill wishin' and hopin' tho. All I need is that one acceptance.... ;)

pre-dentalguy

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 7, 2006
GA
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
I took my DATs in early January for the first time, and although my gpa is not particularly high, I think I'm a pretty good applicant otherwise. It's really hard to get schools to look at you when they get scores so late. I'm sill wishin' and hopin' tho. All I need is that one acceptance.... ;)

dont worry ur golden!!!

Solstica

10+ Year Member
Sep 10, 2006
Status (Visible)
Thanks for the opinions guys. I retook it in first week of Feb, it's probably why I didn't hear anything good yet. I don't think my reading skill is at ESL level because my reading speed average is around 300wpm. It's probably the inefficient test taking skill or imprudent strategy on the reading that cost me. I'm wondering if the schools prejudge or look negatively upon just because the student takes the test a 3rd time?

Drill2Fill

DentalStudentWannabe
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 21, 2006
Tejas
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
Thanks for the opinions guys. I retook it in first week of Feb, it's probably why I didn't hear anything good yet. I don't think my reading skill is at ESL level because my reading speed average is around 300wpm. It's probably the inefficient test taking skill or imprudent strategy on the reading that cost me. I'm wondering if the schools prejudge or look negatively upon just because the student takes the test a 3rd time?

It would be in your best interest, if you took it for the 3rd time, for it to be your last. The ADA makes you jump through loops if you take it more than 3 times by requiring rejection letters and a letter form a pre-health adviser. Also, dental school admin would think that you weren't taking the test seriously, and was just trying to luck up on a good score.

Solstica

10+ Year Member
Sep 10, 2006
Status (Visible)
It would be in your best interest, if you took it for the 3rd time, for it to be your last. The ADA makes you jump through loops if you take it more than 3 times by requiring rejection letters and a letter form a pre-health adviser. Also, dental school admin would think that you weren't taking the test seriously, and was just trying to luck up on a good score.

I'm contemplating about it whether or not I can still get it above 22 on my 3rd attempt along w/ improving the PAT and reading. If I do take it, it will have to be my last time cause I'm sick of trying and not seeing any positive confirmation.

rals

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 30, 2005
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
I'm contemplating about it whether or not I can still get it above 22 on my 3rd attempt along w/ improving the PAT and reading. If I do take it, it will have to be my last time cause I'm sick of trying and not seeing any positive confirmation.

but you said you imrpoved by 4 points - that's huge!

maybe you should talk to the admissions ppl at some schools you're applying to and ask them what they think. I did that and was told my scores were great and that I don't need to retake unanimously. If you get that from a few adcoms then I think you should stick with your score on 2. how was your RC and Pat on your first try?

Dooey23

10+ Year Member
Feb 6, 2007
GA
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
If you don't get in this cycle, why not take it again...
a 20/20 (~90th/96-7th) is more well rounded than a 22/17 (~95th/80th? percentile).
How much more could a couple of classes boost your GPA? (unless you had like a 2.2 science and made 3 A's in bio classes)

Like yourself, i took 2 kaplan courses and studied only the sciences. I didn't get a 22 but i was happy w/ my score (enough so that i didn't have to take it again)
My gpa isn't that great either
But applying early (june-july) helps

I didn't find the studying process that rigorous, but if you hated studying for the DAT, don't take it again. If you didn't mind studying and feel like you can do better... take it again.

But remember that taking it many times is frowned upon (right?)

Just wait, classes aren't filled until the first day anyways.

About the Ads

AnonymousADCOM

10+ Year Member
Oct 27, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
if you have a high gpa, i dont think you should worry too much. if not, the RC can be an eyebrow raiser. quite a dilemma you are in.

rals

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 30, 2005
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
a 17 QR is no ig deal if everything else is 20+ right?

rals

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 30, 2005
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
I didn't find the studying process that rigorous, but if you hated studying for the DAT, don't take it again. If you didn't mind studying and feel like you can do better... take it again.

But remember that taking it many times is frowned upon (right?)

Just wait, classes aren't filled until the first day anyways.

I agree with this. don't know if I'd say a 20s all around is all that much better than 22s and 17s.

1992Corolla

CheerioKing
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 19, 2005
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
I have a good idea and because I know the most in the forum you should follow:
:D

When you apply next cycle (in the chance you don't get in) apply with your current scores. Apply to take the DAT but don't have your scores sent out to any schools. In other words, when you are supposed to check schools to have your DAT sent to, don't check anything. You can always add schools later.

So your current scores goes out ight away May 15th and then when you retake the DAT (considering you do better) you simply send in the new score right away. If you do worse, the schools never know (CONSIDERING YOU GET IN NEXT CYCLE) If you dont then your most curent score is sent out. So if you go this route....MAKE SURE YOU DO BETTER!

good luck

Solstica

10+ Year Member
Sep 10, 2006
Status (Visible)

When you apply next cycle (in the chance you don't get in) apply with your current scores. Apply to take the DAT but don't have your scores sent out to any schools. In other words, when you are supposed to check schools to have your DAT sent to, don't check anything. You can always add schools later.

So your current scores goes out ight away May 15th and then when you retake the DAT (considering you do better) you simply send in the new score right away. If you do worse, the schools never know (CONSIDERING YOU GET IN NEXT CYCLE) If you dont then your most curent score is sent out. So if you go this route....MAKE SURE YOU DO BETTER!

good luck
thanks for the great backup plan :thumbup:

shuna

To the left,to the left..
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 25, 2006
NY
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
I took the DAT 3 times....I know its crazy but first time I got really low in reading, second time I got low in BIO....3rd time (2.5 months ago) I got my dream score :)))

Its a lot of work but I think it worth it....

Denticized

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 13, 2006
Los Angeles
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
I think you should take the DAT as many times as needed tlll you have a 29 or 30. I hear if you take it 10 times the system just gives up and gives you a 30 but I am not sure. live and learn.

22 is excellent dude forget it

Solstica

10+ Year Member
Sep 10, 2006
Status (Visible)
You're very welcome. Best of luck to you this year as you still have a chance!

Make sure to check out more at DMDsudent.com and sign up for the email list for automatic updates.

Done. Nice site. I love them dental pictures that you have on there. You should include it your forum signature so that you don't skip out the "t".

xdianaax

In memory of Riley Jane
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 12, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Health (Field Undecided)

good luck

Can you do that the first time you take your DAT? Who do you notify later if you change your mind and you want your scores sent out???

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.