1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Dat 6/05/08

Discussion in 'DAT Discussions' started by wash123, Jun 5, 2008.

1. wash123

5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I used Kaplan to prepare. I was getting 19 and 20 AA on the practice tests. I also was getting 21 and 20 in the QR during practice tests.

My scores today were:

PA: 22
    QR: 15
    RC: 20
    Bio: 21
    GC: 22
    OC: 21
    TS: 21
    AA: 20

I really was pressed for time on the QR and obviously did poorly. Is a retake in store for me? I have a 3.7 GPA and 3.6 science.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. jigabodo

Dentist 10+ Year Member

Dentist
    Unfortunately for you, retake has sold out. ;)

4. wash123

5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    That's too bad. It seams to me that the QR is not as important. Is that true?

#3 wash123, Jun 5, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2008
  5. jigabodo

Dentist 10+ Year Member

Dentist
    It's not too important indeed.

Probably the least important section on DAT.

6. DentalDeac

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I really think you're fine, considering that the QR is probably the least important part of the DAT, and all your other scores are great, along with your GPA. Give yourself a pat on the back, you'll be fine. I'm currently taking the Kaplan course now. Any advice for me on how to study?

7. wash123

5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I borrowed some MCAT review sheets for the science sections. That was helpful because it was something different. I also did all of the subject tests. I think that the more questions you are exposed to the better.

8. DentalDeac

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Cool. I have all the Kaplan stuff and the 3 TopScore practice tests. Hopefully if I can take all of the subject tests and full length exams each twice that should be enough practice.

9. supraman

supraman Boston Celtics
    7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Man were you really getting 20/21 in QR? What you think made you get that 15?

10. allstardentist

allstardentist All-Star
    10+ Year Member

Dental Student
    good work. your QR is a bit weak but i think you should be okay. but if you want to get into good schools maybe you should retake.

11. wash123

5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I didn't study math very much, because I was doing so well. I didn't use my time well. I wasted too much time with the word problems rather than quickly moving through and answering all that were quickly solved. I was also tired for that last section. I am confident that I wouldn't ever do so poorly again on this section. I think I'm only going to retake if I don't here anything from schools about interviews before Sept. My application is in, so I'll see what happens.

12. wash123

5+ Year Member

Dental Student

What schools would you consider good? What schools would you recommend without the retake? Do you think "good schools" would overlook a poor score in QR and see the good science/reading/PAT and strong GPA? Thanks for your advice. I appreciate it.

13. OMFS08

OMFS08 Tooth Extractornator
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Good Job! You will be fine! How long did you study for and did you just use Kaplan? No destroyer? How many hrs per day?

14. wash123

5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I only used Kaplan for this first time. I think that the classroom sessions were okay. The main thing that it did for me was relieve my test anxiety. I studied 15 hours per week from Jan to May and then 2-5 hours per day after that until test day. I took some breaks to avoid burning myself out. Good luck to all who are taking the DAT soon!!!