Jul 31, 2009
Status
Pre-Dental
Hey guys, long time visitor, first time poster. I pretty much looked through these forums for advice, tips,etc. Well anyways, I took the DAT for the first time today, and I got some mixed feelings bout em:

PAT- 22
QR- 17
RC- 22
Bio- 18
GC 16- :scared:
OC- 21
TS- 18
AA- 19

ok, so overall im happy with my score, felt i coulda done better on the QR and obviously Gen Chem. My biggest question is, would that 16 in Gen Chem crucially hinder my chances of getting into dental school? my BCP GPA is 3.28, sGPA 3.2, cGPA 3.43.

For the Breakdown:

Bio- Good Lord, it was definitely random, and with my nerves running it made it worse. Even the ones that I was confident on, I ended up second guessing. Its like what everybody has said already, a lot of concepts, really hard to guage what is gonna be on this section. Test Materials- Kaplan Bluebook, Barrons (for review), Molecular Biology class notes.

Gen Chem- ok, honestly, I dont know what happened here. There were only a few calculation type problems. They were straightforward enough, not too many tricky things, I blame myself though for tricking myself into feeling prepared. Test Materials- Kaplan Bluebook, Barrons (for concepts overview)

Organic Chem-
I was scared of this section, I would consistently get below 20 in TopScore (18/19) so I was scared. I pretty much went through all my topscore results and wrote down everything i missed and memorized them (NAMELY THE REAGENTS) It helped quite a bit Test Materials- Kaplan Bluebook, Topscore)

RC-
Easy enough, first passage had quite a few inference about vision. The rest were basically S&D, no sweat. Im a naturally good reader so I wasnt too worried about this.

QR- Ok, this section started out easily enough...simple calculations, manipulations, etc....BUT, for some reason I still ran out of time. The word problems really do consume quite some time in reading and interpreting them. I had to guess on like the last 10 because I ran out of time. I was getting 20s on my practice test, so I unwisely didnt practice for this section as much as i could have.

PAT- I thought this was equal in difficulty as the practice DAT on the ADA website and Topscore. Kaplan was a little too easy because they were a lot clearer than on the real test, namely the angle discrimination. Barron's also helped a lot in the angle discrimination because if the size and difference between the angles. Overall I didnt feel too bad...Honestly, I was looking forward to this section ;) Test Materials- TopScore, Barrons

dfymarine

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 3, 2007
Status
Pre-Dental
sorry, a 16 in one of the sciences would definitely hinder your chance of getting into dental schools.

I'd suggest retake, since you have done so well w/o cliffnotes and destroyer, buy these books and kill the DAT next time!!!!

:smuggrin:

Valigator00

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 4, 2009
Buffalo
Status
Dental Student
Hey guys, long time visitor, first time poster. I pretty much looked through these forums for advice, tips,etc. Well anyways, I took the DAT for the first time today, and I got some mixed feelings bout em:

PAT- 22
QR- 17
RC- 22
Bio- 18
GC 16- :scared:
OC- 21
TS- 18
AA- 19

ok, so overall im happy with my score, felt i coulda done better on the QR and obviously Gen Chem. My biggest question is, would that 16 in Gen Chem crucially hinder my chances of getting into dental school? my BCP GPA is 3.28, sGPA 3.2, cGPA 3.43.

For the Breakdown:

Bio- Good Lord, it was definitely random, and with my nerves running it made it worse. Even the ones that I was confident on, I ended up second guessing. Its like what everybody has said already, a lot of concepts, really hard to guage what is gonna be on this section. Test Materials- Kaplan Bluebook, Barrons (for review), Molecular Biology class notes.

Gen Chem- ok, honestly, I dont know what happened here. There were only a few calculation type problems. They were straightforward enough, not too many tricky things, I blame myself though for tricking myself into feeling prepared. Test Materials- Kaplan Bluebook, Barrons (for concepts overview)

Organic Chem- I was scared of this section, I would consistently get below 20 in TopScore (18/19) so I was scared. I pretty much went through all my topscore results and wrote down everything i missed and memorized them (NAMELY THE REAGENTS) It helped quite a bit Test Materials- Kaplan Bluebook, Topscore)

RC- Easy enough, first passage had quite a few inference about vision. The rest were basically S&D, no sweat. Im a naturally good reader so I wasnt too worried about this.

QR- Ok, this section started out easily enough...simple calculations, manipulations, etc....BUT, for some reason I still ran out of time. The word problems really do consume quite some time in reading and interpreting them. I had to guess on like the last 10 because I ran out of time. I was getting 20s on my practice test, so I unwisely didnt practice for this section as much as i could have.

PAT- I thought this was equal in difficulty as the practice DAT on the ADA website and Topscore. Kaplan was a little too easy because they were a lot clearer than on the real test, namely the angle discrimination. Barron's also helped a lot in the angle discrimination because if the size and difference between the angles. Overall I didnt feel too bad...Honestly, I was looking forward to this section ;) Test Materials- TopScore, Barrons

Your scores are pretty good. I don't think ppl should retake DAT because of 1 section. Hopefully your Gen chem grade is good to make up for the test result.

denner

10+ Year Member
Jun 5, 2008
Status
Pre-Dental
If you don't mind me asking, what were your science scores (GC/OC/BIO) for each topscore you took?

Or did you only use the OC section from topscore?

joonkimdds

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 30, 2005
Status
Pre-Dental
There are some schools with cut off score of 17 but I heard that some don't.
For example, one of my friends got 14 on QR and got into howard last yr.

Look for the schools without cutoff.

ArmyGuard63a

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 2, 2009
Status
Dentist
There are some schools with cut off score of 17 but I heard that some don't.
For example, one of my friends got 14 on QR and got into howard last yr.

Look for the schools without cutoff.
I'm sorry but seriously don't even mention stats like that for Howard/Meharry, it's offensive

This late in the game I think you really need to submit your app and see what happens, while simultaneously rescheduling to take it again in 3 months
You now know your weak points, and I must say that if I personally had not performed the way I wanted to the first time around, a fire would be lit under my butt and 3 months would be more than enough to absolutely crush it the second time around.
Unless you're a minority, I'd really focus on getting higher scores to offset your GPA

Hopefully I wasn't too negative, I'm just trying to be real with you
Good luck!

Jul 5, 2009
Status
Pre-Dental
did you have any epidemiology or crocodile passage? or what passages did you have in RC? it looks so good

OP
D
Jul 31, 2009
Status
Pre-Dental
@Denner- I just deleted my topscore results, sorry, but the average of my 3 tests were-

BIO- 18-19
GC- 18-19
OC- 17-18
PAT- 19-21
RC- 20-21
QR- 19-21

@nflesher- no, you werent being too negative, Tough love works. haha. so the 16 pretty much forces me to retake huh?

@datdat- yeah, i had a passage on vision, crocodiles and fungi.