DAT after Ochem I?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

myameena

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all
Just wanted to get your opinion on something - Is it safe to take the DAT after having taken only Ochem I ? I was going to take it during the semester that I'm taking Ochem II.

Members don't see this ad.

It all depends on how good your o-chem is. They have lots of synthesis questions. If you think you're ready. Go for it
T:laugh:

I think you're safe as long as you do a little extra preparation beyond what you've learned in ochem 1...get the kaplan's book and basically memorize all the reactions and reagents they list in their ochem section.

once you start cranking through practice problems and stuff you'll notice a very distince pattern of the types of problems they like to ask as well as the reagents and reactions they particularly favor.

I took my dat only after taking ochem 1 for a month and a half doing the above and I ended up with a score of 23.

believe me, it's definitely doable after ochem 1. go for it if you're comfortable with it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I took the DAT and had never taken OChem. I studied the Kaplan book and had a textbook to go over stuff I wasn't sure about. I made a 27. I'm taking OChem now and it is not coming close to preparing me appropriately.

I agree. I took a year long Ochem class and it was worthless. I think Kaplan's material was the best stuff. It is concise and straight to the point. Only the stuff you need to know, not the junk.

DesiDentist

I disagree with everyone. Not a good idea to take the DAT not having finished Ochem 2. Sure it is possible, and some of us did really well doing that. But, in reality it is not a smart move. Your DAT scores are the most important requirement for acceptance into dental school. Be safe, take OChem 2 as you study DAT OChem prep materials. You will do much better this way. The guy who got the 27 without taking O2 is an exception. He is an outlier on the graph. Although he is encouraging, he is also unique (or very rare, a 27 is near 99 percentile). Again, it is doable, but so is winning the lottery on one ticket. Wish you the best!!! Study hard and you will do well!!!!

Sorry, Brand -- I completely disagree with you!

There isn't anything of consequence in Ochem 2 that will be tested on the DAT. The DAT tests nomenclature, understanding of electrophiles/nucleophiles, and common (simple) reactions.

ALL of this is covered in OChem 1. Any additional study that is needed can be had through the Kaplan book. I actually used the Kaplan book as a study base for my OChem courses, and I received an A in part one, and an A- in part two.

The bottom line is that there is next to nothing in OChem 2 that you will need to know for the DAT!

O chem 2 will not hurt you, it only helps. Also my O chem 2 covered Carbs and all the experimetal stuff. We also dealy with complicated synthesis reactions that polished my O chem 1 skills. It is also great practice. Of course it is just my opinion, but I believe O Chem 2 offers you an edge when taking the DAT.

I have to agree with Brand. Aldehydes and Ketones/ Carboxylic Acids and Derivatives and Amines are inthe second semester, not to mention Electrophilic Aromatic Substitution. If you miss 2-5 questions in O.Chem, then that's the difference bewteen a 21 and 17.

I tried to take it after just O-Chem 1 and i didn't understand carbonyl groups, much less amino acids and carbohydrates. If you feel that it's easy for you and you can understand it, then just study Kaplan and totally go for it.

But again, if you miss just a couple questions on ethers, phenols, Grignards, aldol condensations, that could be the differnence between a 17 and 21. Something to think about, huh?

All of the reactions/groups you just mentioned were in my first semester of Organic Chemistry. Also, the Kaplan book does a great job of explaining those pertinent reactions. Taking the second semester may prepare you better, but it is not needed to get a great score.

As was said, if you felt great during the first semester, then review a study book and don't worry about the second semester.

Gavin, you need to understand that since BYU has 200 people apply to dental school every year they try to cover it all in one semester. Most schools don't do this. It is unlikely Myameena will have all the O Chem topics covered in 1 semester. Simple fact is you should be as prepared as possible. Chem 2 makes you as prepared as possible.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I have decided to go ahead and take the DAT after my ochem and while taking my ochem II. (fall 2003) That way if I screw up then I can take it again in the spring. And I have decided I'm NOT goping to screw up. ;)

I have a Barron's DAT preparation book and I have been looking over some things in there so far. DesiDentist is going to give me some stuff to look over from Kaplan. Anything else you think I should get for studying - without taking the kaplan course itself?

Barron's is crap. Kaplan is what you need to study for OChem (with a text to help with difficult material). Make sure you do not study your notes from OChem to determine what you need to know. Use them to help you study what Kaplan tells you to study.

They don't try to cover it all in one semester here at my school -- but all the reactions and nomenclature that are pertinent to the DAT are covered in the first semester at nearly every undergrad. in the US.

There many be a few stray topics which will be tested on the DAT, however these may easily be picked up through the Kaplan book, and they certainly don't require the completion of an entire semester of class.

I can't think of a single question on my DAT which required me to use the knowledge I gained in OChem 2. Afterall, the DAT tests basic-level sciences, and the first semester of organic chemistry is the foundation for Organic 2. The DAT simply does not test on information presented in the later semester!

The initial question was "is it safe" to take the DAT after one semester of organic chemistry, and the answer is a resounding "YES", regardless of your undergraduate institution!