DAT Aim

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BTtheman777

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys. I want you guys to see where I stand and what DAT score would be most appropriate for my case.
School: NCSU
GPA. 4.0
DAT- To be taken in August
EC- 75 hours of volunteering, hopefully ~50 hours of shadowing various specialties of dentists. Various Clubs and other activities on campus
LOR- good recs foreseen

Im a transitioning junior right now, I dont think my gpa would fall below a 3.9 during this year. Also, I live in NC and I hope to apply to instate colleges, UNC and ECU (if it opens as planned- fall 2011).

What do you guys think is a realistic DAT goal that would suffice a seat to UNC? and colleges such as UMD, VCU, UF?

Members don't see this ad.

18 or 19 should be fine with a 4.0 i think

well just try to get ur best...id still shoot for the 20s..18 or 19 even wit ur gpa is no guarantee if its a tough school u wanna get in

Members don't see this ad :)

risky adivice..

OP, my fellow wolfpack!
Assuming youre not URM. With your gpa, 18 or 19 will most likely get you an interview at UNC. But if you want to improve your chance to get into UNC, you should score 20 or higher and be well prepared for your interveiw. 30%gpa / 30%dat / 40%interview You already know this right?

I just wanted to throw it out there....but when I was asking my top school about DAT scores w/my GPA, the dean of admissions said that if you have a high GPA, your DAT scores should reflect that. Otherwise, your GPA could look fishy...like you had lots and lots of old tests....

risky adivice..

OP, my fellow wolfpack!
Assuming youre not URM. With your gpa, 18 or 19 will most likely get you an interview at UNC. But if you want to improve your chance to get into UNC, you should score 20 or higher and be well prepared for your interveiw. 30%gpa / 30%dat / 40%interview You already know this right?

ldm, thanks for the information. I am aware of it if I am not mistaken. I took a tour of the facilities and they mentioned the 40% weighted interview. Would this comprise of your EC, LOR, research your personality and passion...or is there something more you need? And I dont know what URM means. Did you go to ncsu too?

ldm, thanks for the information. I am aware of it if I am not mistaken. I took a tour of the facilities and they mentioned the 40% weighted interview. Would this comprise of your EC, LOR, research your personality and passion...or is there something more you need? And I dont know what URM means. Did you go to ncsu too?

40% Interview will include basically everything except your gpa and dat. It's hard to screw UNC interview unless your are very arrogant or trying to bluff about yourself...

URM stands for Underrepresented Minority. For dental admission, if you are black or latin, then you are URM, then 18DAT should be enough for you. But still if I were you I would try to get 20+ bc you never know. You got 4.0 at State, which means you can score higher than 20..

I did go to State. fresh out of it..:)

18? You should never shoot for below the national Matriculant average, which is 19. Get a 19 and you'll be fine. Your GPA will make you stand out if you get an average DAT of 19, but if you get a below average DAT of 18, there is always cause for worry...

If you have a 4.0 GPA, won't you shoot for the best on the DAT as well? Unless your school is very easy and you haven't really tried much to get a 4.0

With that in mind, your realistic DAT goal should be the best you can do.

I just wanted to throw it out there....but when I was asking my top school about DAT scores w/my GPA, the dean of admissions said that if you have a high GPA, your DAT scores should reflect that. Otherwise, your GPA could look fishy...like you had lots and lots of old tests....
This sounds like the best advice. Study hard and do the best you can.

Yeah, I know that the higher your DAT the better your chances of getting into a school. I took the OP's question as what was the minimum he needed to get by with.