Jul 13, 2009
Status
Pre-Dental
Hi,
I am going to be taking my DAT and applying to dental schools during the summer after my junior year. I was wondering if people can give me advice on a timetable for doing my application and taking the DAT. I know that I should submit my application before taking the DAT.. but doesn't aadsas take a long time to send my scores after I take the test? How do people usually time it so everything runs efficiently?

Thanks

May 15, 2009
CA
Status
Dental Student
Hi,
I am going to be taking my DAT and applying to dental schools during the summer after my junior year. I was wondering if people can give me advice on a timetable for doing my application and taking the DAT. I know that I should submit my application before taking the DAT.. but doesn't aadsas take a long time to send my scores after I take the test? How do people usually time it so everything runs efficiently?

Thanks
Every year, the cycle opens on June 1st. So, ideally you want to schedule your DAT such that you can take it at least one month before the cycle opens. Why?
It takes 3-4 weeks for ADEA to process your DAT scores. So, for you to have a complete application with all your DAT scores verified by June 1st, you should take the DAT in May (or even earlier if possible). However, each year many applicants take their DAT after June. I'd you'll still be considered an early applicant, as long as you take the DAT by late Aug.
The main reason why people are encouraged to take the DAT early is that if you plan on retaking the exam, you must wait 3 months, before you can sign up again. So, if you take it in May, you can retake the exam Aug. This allows you to remain an early applicant. Whereas, if you take the exam in Aug, then you can retake the exam in Nov, which means you'll be a late applicant.
Anyways, to make the long story short, you're better off if you could get the DAT out of the way ASAP.
Also, it's a good idea to register for your exam few weeks in advance, just to ensure you get your preferred date/location.

After the cycle opens on June 1st, you are required to enter in all of your coursework in addition to courses in progress, and courses planned for future semesters/quarters. You must also ask your schools to send an official copy of your transcripts to AADSAS. You probably want to do this after June 1st, but no later than June 10th. If you do it before June 1st, your transcripts may be mailed out to AADSAS, before you even get a chance to create your account. Subsequently, there would be a great chance that they lose your transcripts. So, the best way to do this is to request your transcripts to be mailed out during the first week of June (It's a good idea to pay the additional fee and have your schools expedite the process).
It is crucial for you to send out your transcripts ASAP, because AADSAS WILL NOT mail out your application to your designated schools, before they calculate and verify your GPAs.

You also want to send out your LORs during the first few weeks of June. Of course, AADSAS will not delay your application if LORs aren't present. You can send them later on, and AADSAS will forward them to your schools whenever they receive them. But it's generally a good idea to have everything ready to go early on during the process.

IMPORTANT:
Make sure to e-submit your application and pay your AADSAS fees ASAP, even if you haven't taken the DAT yet. You can always submit without DAT scores and then revise the section for the DAT scores later on.
Your application is not considered complete until you e-submit and pay the fees.

Provided that you do all this during the first few weeks of June, your application will be included in the first batch that is mailed out to schools. This will almost guarantee you an early interview, which will greatly increase your chances of acceptance.

You also want to start working on your personally statement as early as possible, so that you can submit it on time. This tends to be a long and frustrating process, specially if you're not good at writting.

Finally, the following figure is from UCLA Career Center, and it provides you with a general timeline for applying to Dental School:

http://career.ucla.edu/Students/GradProfSchCounseling/PreHealthCareerServices/Dentistry.aspx

Hope you find this information useful.

Good Luck:thumbup:

OP
O
Jul 13, 2009
Status
Pre-Dental
WOW thank you!

My only dilemma is that I will not finish taking the courses I need for the DAT until the end of my junior year. Because I want to go directly into dental school after my 4 years of undergrad, I have to take the study for the DAT, take it, AND apply all in that summer. I get out of school at the end of April, and want to take the Kaplan course which will go through May and June. If I take the exam (i only plan on taking it once) mid- to late- July, how much will it hurt my chances of admission? Ahhh it's so hard to balance leaving enough time to study and making sure my application is submitted early!

May 15, 2009
CA
Status
Dental Student
WOW thank you!

My only dilemma is that I will not finish taking the courses I need for the DAT until the end of my junior year. Because I want to go directly into dental school after my 4 years of undergrad, I have to take the study for the DAT, take it, AND apply all in that summer. I get out of school at the end of April, and want to take the Kaplan course which will go through May and June. If I take the exam (i only plan on taking it once) mid- to late- July, how much will it hurt my chances of admission? Ahhh it's so hard to balance leaving enough time to study and making sure my application is submitted early!
You still have a very good chance!
A piece of advice from someone who has gone through this entire process twice:
Things don't always go as we plan them or we want them. I was one of the people who wanted to go straight to dental school after 4 years of undergrad. Despite my decent GPA and DAT scores, I didn't get in last year. So, it's good that you're planning everything ahead of the time, but somewhere in the back of your mind always consider the possibility that things may not go as planned.

Good luck:thumbup::thumbup: