DAT and Organic Chemistry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

skeiser

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

First of all, it's an honor to be part of a community of people so willing to help each other. I'm going to enjoy being a Dentist.

Trying to get ready for admission for 2006 Dental school class. Really want to make it....not getting any younger.

I'm non-traditional student (39, and not a science background), and so I'm now working on the prerequisites (Che, BIO, Phys) while I work full time. So far, i have completed, 1 semester of General BIO and 2 semesters of Inorganic Chem.

I need to take the DAT, and would like to have 2 shots at it, if needed. So, I want to take it in the late summer, and again, if necessary, in December.

My problem is that I have no Organic Chem yet. I was planning to take it this summer (3 quarters), but also need to take some other courses to stay on schedule for addmission. (Physics, Biology II, etc.) :eek:

Simple question is.....can I do well on the DAT without Organic first? I may take a Kaplan course, but would really appreciate an honest opinion from several of you about this issue.

Some people say the DAT organic is easy, and I can get what I would need from Kaplan. Some say it's a disaster without taking Organic Chem classes, etc. Interested in any feedback on this.

Thanks so much

Scott

Members don't see this ad.

skeiser said:
Hi All,

First of all, it's an honor to be part of a community of people so willing to help each other. I'm going to enjoy being a Dentist.

Trying to get ready for admission for 2006 Dental school class. Really want to make it....not getting any younger.

I'm non-traditional student (39, and not a science background), and so I'm now working on the prerequisites (Che, BIO, Phys) while I work full time. So far, i have completed, 1 semester of General BIO and 2 semesters of Inorganic Chem.

I need to take the DAT, and would like to have 2 shots at it, if needed. So, I want to take it in the late summer, and again, if necessary, in December.

My problem is that I have no Organic Chem yet. I was planning to take it this summer (3 quarters), but also need to take some other courses to stay on schedule for addmission. (Physics, Biology II, etc.) :eek:

Simple question is.....can I do well on the DAT without Organic first? I may take a Kaplan course, but would really appreciate an honest opinion from several of you about this issue.

Some people say the DAT organic is easy, and I can get what I would need from Kaplan. Some say it's a disaster without taking Organic Chem classes, etc. Interested in any feedback on this.

Thanks so much

Scott

My advice comes from the fact that I have yet to take the *actual* DAT, but I have taken several practice tests and the amount of organic chemistry is decently hard.

I tried taking a practice (last eyar) with only 1 semester of organic and my organic section was dismal. There's a lot of organic stuff on there and they are pretty hard.

Even if you read the book, it's a lot different. Organic is the type of subject that it's best taught by someone to you because the book can't tell you all of the ins and outs of everything. My advice would be to take it after you take at least one portion of the class (like you said you were taking organic this summer?). If you really need to, try to take at least one section along with your bio and physics and THEN take the DAT.

Good luck with it. I can only tell you what worked best for me. It really is different for everyone! :luck:

My advice is wait. Wait until the 2007 cycle. I know it probably isn't what you are wanting to hear, but you really should wait until you get 2 semesters of organic under your belt. take your DAT sometime right after finishing your organic sequence while the subjects are still relatively fresh on your mind.

if you finish the sequence in december, take the DAT in maybe february 2006 for the 2007 cycle.

the application process is long, tiring, and expensive and if your DAT is rushed, it might be a waste.

I think the reason people say organic is easy on the DAT is because most have had 2 semesters of it, and alot of the concepts merge together...on the DAT, most of the organic questions are conceptual, and they won't go into crazy details. However, it takes a good while to pick these concepts up, and I think if you study out of some book, and not taking a class with structure, you may miss the key concepts, memorize too much, and it wouldn't be worth it. I'd wait until next cycle, but if you really want to do it, you can...and if you do well, I'm sure it would impress the adcoms granted you haven't taken the courses.

Members don't see this ad :)
I had the same question myself about a year ago. Now that I have taken O-Chem I and II, I can't imagine taking the DAT without those classes. There is an immense amount of information. If you wanted to do good and understand the concepts to do well on the DAT, I would wait and at least take O-chem I before attempting the DAT. I've heard of many people taking O-chem I and studying for O-chem II on their own and that worked for them. I understand that you are non-traditional student and are probably really really anxious to get into dental school ASAP. But, in my opinion, waiting a year and taking the O-chem series as well as taking the DAT in early summer as opposed to December is going to be the safest choice. But hey, if you think you can do it, by all means go for it! :thumbup:

I understand your predicament I'm a non-trad as well. I have had a difficult time studying for the o chem portion with only one o chem class under my belt. I'm going to take o chem II this summer and wait to take my DAT until August. If you find any good study resources let me know and I will do the same. I'm not going to wait until the next cycle to apply though I'm going for it now. Best of luck to you!!

As a non-traditional student myself, the absolute best advice that I could give you is to wait until the 2007 cycle. Your application has to be as perfect as possible for you to beat a traditional college graduate for a seat. Call ADCOMS at the schools that you are applying to and they will likely tell you the same. Make the best presentation the first time and your chances will be at their highest.

i agree with what was said above. it would be a good idea to take your organic chemistry classes first and then take the DAT. as was said above, people probably say the ochem part on the DAT is easy because they have taken 2 semesters (3 quarters) of it. ochem isn't hard to understand (like quantum mechanics), but it does take time and much practice to become proficient at it.
good luck! :thumbup:

Hi Scott,

I wrote DAT last year without taking any class of Organic Chem and I got 19 in Organic Chem. So I think it is possible to write DAT w/o org, but it is hard to score high marks. I used following books to study:
1) Kaplan
2) Organic Chemistry by Solomons & Fryhle 8th edition (ISBN: 0-471-41799-8)

I studied from Kaplan first and used Solomons only for unclear topics.
On topscore and Kaplan test I was getting around 17-18. I think real DAT is easier then both, topscore and Kaplan.

Good Luck

The first time I took the DAT I took your route, without taking O Chem or Gen Chem. I tried to learn as much of it as possible on my own through the Kaplan book, I got a 19 on both... but it was very difficult, esp. the Ochem section with the reactions -> end products, and when time is a factor.