DAT Biology Section Study Material

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ToothHurty32

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Will Cliff's AP Biology 3rd Edition, Feralis Notes, and DAT BootCamp be sufficient to study for the biology section of the DAT or should I also study the DAT Destroyer BIO section?

Members don't see this ad.

I did all of the above and scored a 22 on that section. Keep in mind I have not had very many college level biology classes. Exposure to more information and practice questions can never hurt!

In my opinion, the first three resources are more than enough to do well on the exam. I scored a 30 and in retrospect I'd attribute most of that to the process of making and memorizing my notes, then carefully testing my knowledge via practice tests.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I used all, and if you have time I'd recommend Destroyer. I had a few questions that were similar to the Bio section of destroyer.

I DID NOT give myself enough time to study for the DAT (about a month), and got a 20 in the biology section. I wasted a lot of time reading through/taking notes on cliffs & feralis notes, and it's just not an effective way to actually learn and remember information. It's really easy to accidentally spend a lot of time reading stuff you already know and skimming the stuff you don't, because it's more comfortable.

If you need the refresher, start by skimming through feralis notes (I'd mostly ignore cliffs because they're just a redundant, less thorough version of feralis). But focus MOST of your time and energy on just running through the practice tests on DAT bootcamp. Most importantly, read through the explanations of at least the questions you got wrong!! Then, if you notice you're missing a lot of questions on, for example, taxonomy, THEN crack open your PDFs (& google as needed) to understand taxonomy better.

TLDR: Don't focus on memorizing 29 entire resources (B/C feralis has everything you need) as much as on figuring out which topics you need to review.

Reactions: 1 user
Got a 20 with very minimal biology studying, although I will say I have an ok background in bio as I am in biochem, but physiology and ecology stuff were stuff I didn't know anything about. I mainly studied off DAT Boot camp practice tests tbh that section is very very almost exactly like the actual DAT in my experience. So I just did those and read the explanations of the answer key; it is pretty informative and you'll notice the pattern of embryology and genetics importance in the biology section.
I just thought cliffs was a little too much and I read like 4 chapters of Kaplan before I couldn't really do it anymore .
I would say feralis and BC bio is good as a general starting point to study from to at least get a 20.

Will Cliff's AP Biology 3rd Edition, Feralis Notes, and DAT BootCamp be sufficient to study for the biology section of the DAT or should I also study the DAT Destroyer BIO section?

I used Cliffs, DAT Bootcamp, and Destroyer and thought that was enough. i chose to go through dat destroyer over feralis because its just the same stuff and i learned more from doing practice questions than looking at more notes. this is lso because i had also bought destroyer by this time. if you dont have it, dont go out of your way. just use the first three

I think with cliff, feralis and bootcamp you'll be :thumbup:. That's all you need if you want a good score, but make sure to put the work in

I did all of the above and scored a 22 on that section. Keep in mind I have not had very many college level biology classes. Exposure to more information and practice questions can never hurt!
how did you study

do you have any advice when it comes to PAT? I do PAT academy and generators and practice exams
That's all I did. I practiced every day and just tried to understand how to solve the problems. When I took the test, I skipped around. I did my best sections first, then went back through for the others.

In my opinion, the first three resources are more than enough to do well on the exam. I scored a 30 and in retrospect I'd attribute most of that to the process of making and memorizing my notes, then carefully testing my knowledge via practice tests.
How come Bootcamp doesn’t have your full notes available? @Ari Rezaei are we going to get it soon because my DAT is in May fam.