DAT Biology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

naithgirw

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I just graduated from my University, and it's been quite a while since I took Bio 1 and Bio 2. For Inorganic and Organic Chemistry, I'm not too worried, since it's all about concepts. But when it comes to biology, it's either you know it or don't - that's how I feel.

I feel I may need to buy a biology text book. Or would something like 'Schaum's Outlines' be better? There are somethings in Biology that I don't remember at all! Like evolution, systematics, population genetics, plant biology, ecology, etc. I think I'll definately need a text book for these subjects. But for topics like, the cell, genetics, animal form and function, metabolism, etc. - I'm just a little rusty. Maybe for these topics I'll just use one of those outline books. What do you guys think? Do you think my study strategy is efficient, or am I wasting time?

I would appreciate anykind of input, and also, how have you all been studying for biology? (assuming you too haven't taken a bio class in a while and/or you just don't remember too much).

Thanks!
Naith

Members don't see this ad.

naithgirw said:
Hello,

I just graduated from my University, and it's been quite a while since I took Bio 1 and Bio 2. For Inorganic and Organic Chemistry, I'm not too worried, since it's all about concepts. But when it comes to biology, it's either you know it or don't - that's how I feel.

I feel I may need to buy a biology text book. Or would something like 'Schaum's Outlines' be better? There are somethings in Biology that I don't remember at all! Like evolution, systematics, population genetics, plant biology, ecology, etc. I think I'll definately need a text book for these subjects. But for topics like, the cell, genetics, animal form and function, metabolism, etc. - I'm just a little rusty. Maybe for these topics I'll just use one of those outline books. What do you guys think? Do you think my study strategy is efficient, or am I wasting time?

I would appreciate anykind of input, and also, how have you all been studying for biology? (assuming you too haven't taken a bio class in a while and/or you just don't remember too much).

Thanks!
Naith

The Kaplan book covers most of the concepts on the DAT Bio section. If you get that stuff down you will ace the section.

Another thing, the Kaplan book might not explain some stuff to well so just google certain stuff like genetic concepts and evolution things.

gook luck

use the kaplan blue book along with schuams...you can also use SAT II biology which is good

If you can get your hands on the princeton review bio reivew they do a great job in putting things into context which makes it easier to learn. This material does not include the animal stuff we need to know. For that I got to my kaplan books.

Hope that helps

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, thanks guys! I've been waiting patiently for a response from this thread for quite a while now - but it was worth the wait!

My only real worry - and this is a BIG worry - is that the biology section of the DAT seems so comprehensive! How to cram in all that information! I have purchased the Kaplan Blue book, but that book just seems way too basic for what I expect to see on the actual DAT.

If the Blue Kaplan book does a good job explaining the biology portion of the DAT, then I feel I can 'crack that section of the test open like nobody's business'. It just seem's way too easy! I don't want to sound conceded or like a 'Mr. Know-it-all', but it is what it is!

Any opinions/comments?

naithgirw said:
Hey, thanks guys! I've been waiting patiently for a response from this thread for quite a while now - but it was worth the wait!

My only real worry - and this is a BIG worry - is that the biology section of the DAT seems so comprehensive! How to cram in all that information! I have purchased the Kaplan Blue book, but that book just seems way too basic for what I expect to see on the actual DAT.

If the Blue Kaplan book does a good job explaining the biology portion of the DAT, then I feel I can 'crack that section of the test open like nobody's business'. It just seem's way too easy! I don't want to sound conceded or like a 'Mr. Know-it-all', but it is what it is!

Any opinions/comments?

BIG ADVICE:

get your hands on practice tests, however you can! that is huge. so if a friend is taking the kaplan course and they have access to the online stuff, get it!!!!!!!!!!

If the Kaplan biology seems way too basic, it's because it is. I knew that stuff in and out on test day and needless to say I got my trash kicked. There was stuff on the real test that I hadn't even come across once in the Kaplan book. It really through me off for the following two sections as well. The real thing covers a lot about the human body, so a thorough study of all the systems is huge for the DAT. Also, there's a lot of stuff that I studied in those 16 chapters that I knew like nothing else, and "Was it on the DAT at all?" Nope... So again, Kaplan Biology is a good overview if you hope to get at best a 17 on the real thing, but if you're aiming higher, then a more thorough book (not a text book) is needed. I personally have examkrackers biology for the MCAT. I've noticed its material to be the closest to what I missed on the real thing. Coupling those two books (Kaplan and EK's) I think is just right. Again a real text book is asking for a lot of wasted time diving too deep, believe me I know. And it took valuable time away from what really counts. Hope this helps, Kenny Oh and, The Kaplan book is just right for Chemistry and Ochem though. Crappy on math.

kew said:
If the Kaplan biology seems way too basic, it's because it is. I knew that stuff in and out on test day and needless to say I got my trash kicked. There was stuff on the real test that I hadn't even come across once in the Kaplan book. It really through me off for the following two sections as well. The real thing covers a lot about the human body, so a thorough study of all the systems is huge for the DAT. Also, there's a lot of stuff that I studied in those 16 chapters that I knew like nothing else, and "Was it on the DAT at all?" Nope... So again, Kaplan Biology is a good overview if you hope to get at best a 17 on the real thing, but if you're aiming higher, then a more thorough book (not a text book) is needed. I personally have examkrackers biology for the MCAT. I've noticed its material to be the closest to what I missed on the real thing. Coupling those two books (Kaplan and EK's) I think is just right. Again a real text book is asking for a lot of wasted time diving too deep, believe me I know. And it took valuable time away from what really counts. Hope this helps, Kenny Oh and, The Kaplan book is just right for Chemistry and Ochem though. Crappy on math.

I totally agree with you! I just bought Examkrackers for bio and it's good stuff!! I wish that I knew about it when I took it for the first time...

tweety0805 said:
I totally agree with you! I just bought Examkrackers for bio and it's good stuff!! I wish that I knew about it when I took it for the first time...

Exam Crackers - interesting, hey, thanks a lot guys!

tweety0805 said:

Could u spell out the exact title name of the book thanks.

Sure, it's " Exam Krackers 5th Edition: MCAT for Biology" by Jonathan Orsay. This book goes much in detail than Kaplan's bio. I got the 1001 for bio. Don't get that! I thought I could use more practice questions, but since MCAT format on bio section is different from DAT, it isn't helping me since I am press for time.

Tooth Fixer said:
Could u spell out the exact title name of the book thanks.

tweety0805 said:
Sure, it's " Exam Krackers 5th Edition: MCAT for Biology" by Jonathan Orsay. This book goes much in detail than Kaplan's bio. I got the 1001 for bio. Don't get that! I thought I could use more practice questions, but since MCAT format on bio section is different from DAT, it isn't helping me since I am press for time.

thanks tweety so this is the 5th edition one has the stand alone questions am i correct? does the 1001 have standalone also or whats the deal cause i heard they had about half of them stand alone but i'm not sure.

Tooth Fixer said:
thanks tweety so this is the 5th edition one has the stand alone questions am i correct? does the 1001 have standalone also or whats the deal cause i heard they had about half of them stand alone but i'm not sure.

The 5th edition has lectures and at the end of each lecture, there is a quiz. Then at the end of the book, there are more problems, but on MCAT bio section, one has to read paasages in order to answer questions. I guess if you know the answers w/o reading, it is sort of stand alone, but I tried some of the problems, they were pretty difficult w/o reading.

1001 Questions in Biology for MCAT has 1001 questons along w/ passages, so no lectures. I think the lectures really help although some sections go in way more detail than what DAT would be...

hope that clarified your question.