DAT Breakdown 06/29/15 for the AVERAGE student(s)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SenoritaKorea

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
As the title suggests, I wanted to preface this posting by telling you that I am NOT, nor have I ever been, an exceptional student. This post is for those in my position who are not very confident, but will work incredibly hard and do what it takes to perform well on this test! You can do it!

Actual DAT scores:
BIO: 23
GC: 21
OC: 26
PAT: 23
RC: 24
QR: 21
AA: 23

Bootcamp Scores:
Test#: bio/gc/oc/pat/rc/qr
Test 1: 20/16/17/19/x/x (didn't take RC or QR for some reason?)
Test 2: 19/18/16/19/19/19
Test 3: 15/20/16/19/18/17
Test 4: 18/18/21/18/x/17
Test 5: 22/18/20/18/21/18

Crack DAT Scores:
Science: 18/18/17/18/15/15/18/18/17/18
PAT: 16/16/18/18/20/21/18/19/21
RC: 17/21/19/17/20/23/21
QR: 18/18/18/18/19/19/20/20/17/21/20/18

List of resources (in the order I found them most helpful):
Chad's Videos (+Quizzes), Cliff's AP Bio, DAT Bootcamp, DAT Destroyer, Math Destroyer, CrackDAT (I got the Royal Flush verson), Feralis Notes (and flashcards found here: https://quizlet.com/38689906/feralis-bio-notes-flash-cards/), Alan's Notes, and of course YOU, the SDN community! I don't know what I'll do with my time now that I won't be obsessively lurking all of your amazing posts!

Materials I would suggest investing in:
Notebooks, Flashcards, whiteboard + dry erase markers (for beginning phase of studying), laminated sheets and wet erase markers (for end game phase of studying--you will not be able to erase your work at the testing center), and MOST IMPORTANT: Papermate fine tip markers in the 16 pack. They sell these at any Target.

Background on me (skip this unless you want a pep talk):
I think this is important to include, because I hope that this drives home the point that anything is possible if you're willing to work VERY hard for this test! I am a Korean adoptee from a very small town in Virginia. My early life was made quite difficult with problems with racial bullying, poverty, violence in my family, which all created a perfect storm ending with me graduating from high school with a 1.8 GPA, and absolutely no skills. I read at a 7th-8th grade level, I could not add/subtract simple fractions, and I did not have any plans to go to college. I was too broken.
When I had nowhere else to turn, I chose to do Nursing at a school in Indiana. I moved to Indiana for a boyfriend, but it ended up being a life-changing move. I worked incredibly hard in my nursing program, and realized that Math and Science were no longer a burden for me if I really WANTED to do well. I then decided to switch my major to Biology to do Pre-med. I worked my way from remedial math and English classes (I took "Algebra Review", Int. Algebra, College algebra, pre-calc, Calc). I still want to mention that I was still NOT a brilliant student. My GPA was not incredible, and I always felt pressure in every class. If you have felt this way, you are not alone. Please keep your head up!
When I left Indiana, I decided to do Teach For America. I was so passionate about this move because education absolutely changed my life. I wanted to meet, teach, and support children who came from a similar background as me. I taught 8th grade Math and Science in East Oakland, and it was, again, a life-changing experience.
During that time, I got to know the needs of the communities I worked in, and I realized basic healthcare like dentistry was severely lacking (I worked with a 1st grade student who had never owned a toothbrush). After this, I was on FIRE to be a healthcare provider in this community. I am currently a dental assistant in a low-income clinic in San Francisco.

How I studied (by resource):
I gave myself a lot of time. At first, I scheduled my exam to be in September and planned to take the test the summer after I stopped teaching. I tried to do Ari's study plan, but this was obviously beyond my skills. I was also limited because I work full time. I also slowed things down even more because it's been 7-8 years since I had taken my chemistry series.

Chad's Videos:
Hands down, the most important resource there is. When I was researching study materials, I couldn't find a bad review for Chad. He's just an incredible teacher, and I actually think I know more about Chemistry than I ever did before. I watched his videos at 3 critical stages:
First Time: Just reviewing, taking careful notes, and doing the quizzes. This is a necessary step.
Second Time: After going through DAT Destroyer the 1st time.
Third Time: I watched all the videos in 1 week at 2.5x's speed. I was able to watch all the chemistry videos in 1 week this way, and it REALLY drove home everything I needed to know for the DAT. Some of the questions I encountered on DAT, I could literally hear Chad's voice telling me what to do. Seriously, the videos are that good.

HOW TO MOST EFFECTIVELY USE DAT/MATH DESTROYER!!!!:
Okay, this is going to sound like a plug for Destroyer, but I SWEAR to you.... doing practice problems is EVERYTHING for DAT. And I'm not talking about just chugging through for the sake of completion, I mean MEANINGFULLY, and METHODICALLY going through this book is going to be TANTAMOUNT. If there is a "secret" here, it's this:
First time: I went through Destroyer literally 8 problems at a time in each section (13 problems at a time in Math Destroyer. I went through it slowly because I wanted to do the problems, understand the questions, and review them. On days I didn't work, sure, I did the full set of 30. I took careful notes on the ones I got wrong.
Second time (THIS WAS THE MOST IMPORTANT): I color-coded ALL the questions I still got wrong by CONCEPT. Example: Stoich problems I did in red. Acid/Bases I did in green. Periodic Trends I did in purple. Here's the thing: when you go through DAT destoyer, there's SO many problems, you aren't going to make good connections if you're not attacking these with a plan. Once I completed DAT/Math Destroyer this way, I went through my INCORRECT responses (which were literally half or more of the questions, don't freak out about this), I got ANOTHER notebook, and (still using the same colors), I grouped all of the questions I got incorrect together by concept.
Once I had these together, I went through them, and watched Chad's videos that were associated with that problem group. THIS is how you're going to learn the material! If there was anything that was the most important part of my study plan, this was it!

Crack DAT:
This was useful for me. It was my first experience taking all the tests together in 1 sitting to simulate testing conditions. I started taking practice tests the 1st day of June (my test date was June 29). I would say PAT was more similar in difficulty to Crack DAT, same with QR. Seriously, please don't waste your time with the science sections. RC was also pretty on par with Crack DAT as far as density of the passages. I didn't use any particular methods for RC; I just read the passages to completion and did some weird variation of search and destroy. I got passages on epithelial-mesenchymal communication and teeth formation, some REALLY sociology-heavy passage on healthcare ethics theory, and the last passage was about Fungi Diversity. If there's any advice I would give, just pretend that any passage you're reading is the single, most ****ing interesting thing you've ever read. I literally would read the title of the passages, shrug my shoulders, and "got excited" to read these things. RC is all about mindset than method.

Bootcamp:
I did Bootcamp the final 10 days before my test. Here's the thing with bootcamp, guys; I let it psyche me out. Hard. ESPECIALLY QR. On the actual test, the difficulty level is going to be about on par with DAT Destoyer's math in the back of the book (I did all of these in 1 sitting about 2 days before my test: I would suggest doing this so it's fresh. It'll take about 4 hours).

That being said, even though Bootcamp is slightly overkill in QR, RC, and even PAT, I would say--STILL DO THEM. As you can see, I got pretty crappy scores, but it definitely scared me into submission, and I'm so glad I stuck with it. For the sciences, there's no better testing resource than Bootcamp. I wish I had more time to have gone over my tests (and I REALLY wish there were a way to save previous tests--but I understand that's a feature coming soon). Do the tests, full length, start-to-finish. Even though QR is MAJORLY overkill, and it WILL freak you out, be like Nike and just do it if for no other reason than to get used to sitting somewhere for 45 minutes after doing all that other BS. For me, after I had done about 13 full-length DAT's through Crack DAT and Bootcamp, the actual DAT felt short and easy.

Final Notes:
Take some time to pamper yourself the day before. I went and got a facial with a coworker the day before, and got dinner/icecream with friends. Give yourself a cutoff time. I mean, seriously. Cut yourself off at some point. I wanted REALLY BADLY to go over DAT Destoyer's Biology, because I literally only did it once, and I didn't even read most of the "E. All are true" questions, because most of the time I was going through it, I was tired and I just answered "E. All are true" just to make myself feel better that I got it right. But I realized I'd have pretty limited returns if I read until 2:00AM the day before my test.

You're going to feel really afraid when you cut yourself off. My cutoff time was 12:00AM Sunday night. My test was at 12:15PM the following day. I remember closing all my Bootcamp windows, going into my boyfriend's room and saying, "I'm done." and cried.

Also, a freakout will come. Have them. Get it out of your system. I hit a hard one the last day I went to work before my test (I took Friday and Saturday off, and Sundays the office is closed). I also had a panic attack 2 days before because I couldn't find ANY wifi anywhere in San Francisco because of PRIDE.

I think it's important to give these test its due reverence, but I will say that the actual test is lower in difficulty than any practice test I took. Still be sure that you know a large BREADTH of information! That's what makes this test soooo difficult! The bank is ENORMOUS, and I'm sure that these results could have been very different if I had gotten another version. Be safe: know the fundamentals of everything.

And general test taking tip here: if you find yourself getting flustered, even for a moment (ESPECIALLY in QR), mark it and move on. There is no point in letting your nerves accumulate over 1 question while that clock is counting down in the corner of your screen. The practice tests gave me the ability to just let things go sometimes.

Finally, and this is just me, be very kind the weeks leading up before your test. Just do everything you can to put out positive energy out to all the people close to you. I felt good going into my test because PRIDE and the SCOTUS decision had come through, and I felt that there was just terrific energy in San Francisco. I'm very thankful for it. You'll feel good going into your test, too! Also, and again this is just me, if there's anything you can do to make yourself feel better on the day of your test: dress nice. Like, business casual. You'll feel more awake. My test wasn't until 12:15PM, so I curled my hair, put on makeup, and walked into the testing center feeling a liiiiiiiiiiiiiiittle more confident! If this is your thing, by all means, do it! If not, just get plenty of sleep!

I know this was SUPER long. But SERIOUSLY, I am TELLING you--if I can score above 20, you DEFINITELY can! If you have ANY questions for me, please private message me or feel free to contact me on gmail (joyah.korin). Remember: I used to be a teacher, and now I have an ABUNDANCE of free time! I will be here for you!

11060168_10101013251558023_2361308308133768647_n.jpg

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 40 users
thanks for sharing your story and your breakdown with us!! :)
funny thing, i took my DAT in Kentucky and I was given pencil and paper haha!
congrats on your scores!!!!!

Thank you so much! And WOW Pencil and paper? Way to go, Kentucky! hahaha. Are you applying this cycle?

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats on your scores, you did amazing and you deserve it :) 대한민국! haha

What schools are you applying to if you don't mind me asking?? Nice to see a fellow 한국 person on here!

Congrats on your scores, you did amazing and you deserve it :) 대한민국! haha

What schools are you applying to if you don't mind me asking?? Nice to see a fellow 한국 person on here!

Thank you so much! And congratulations on your incredible scores, as well! I'll be keeping an eye out for your posts on the acceptance thread in pre-dent! 파이팅!!

And I'm applying to like 17 schools ... mostly in California (USC, UCSF, UCLA, UoP, Western). East Coast: BU, Tufts, Baltimore, NYU, UPenn, VCU. Also Colorado, Oklahoma, UNLV, OHSU, and Washington.

Hopefully one of them takes me! hahaha. How about you??

Thank you so much! And congratulations on your incredible scores, as well! I'll be keeping an eye out for your posts on the acceptance thread in pre-dent! 파이팅!!

And I'm applying to like 17 schools ... mostly in California (USC, UCSF, UCLA, UoP, Western). East Coast: BU, Tufts, Baltimore, NYU, UPenn, VCU. Also Colorado, Oklahoma, UNLV, OHSU, and Washington.

Hopefully one of them takes me! hahaha. How about you??

haha nearly all the schools i applied to are on your list! (OHSU, UW, UCSF, Colorado, Western, UCLA, UoP) but I also applied to creighton. Damn..you make me feel like I should be applying to more schools :scared:. Maybe we'll run into each other during interviews! haha Then we can fighting together in our interview anxiety induced state. haha

haha nearly all the schools i applied to are on your list! (OHSU, UW, UCSF, Colorado, Western, UCLA, UoP) but I also applied to creighton. Damn..you make me feel like I should be applying to more schools :scared:. Maybe we'll run into each other during interviews! haha Then we can fighting together in our interview anxiety induced state. haha

Hey, you can always add to your list! Hahaha. But no, with your GPA and DAT, you don't really need to apply anywhere else. My application is not quite so bulletproof (3.34 GPA ... and I have no idea what AADSAS will churn out for my other figures!). And for REAL I hope we run into each other! Which school are you dying to go to? UCSF or UoP are my top choices! If I get into either I'll just die!

Hey, you can always add to your list! Hahaha. But no, with your GPA and DAT, you don't really need to apply anywhere else. My application is not quite so bulletproof (3.34 GPA ... and I have no idea what AADSAS will churn out for my other figures!). And for REAL I hope we run into each other! Which school are you dying to go to? UCSF or UoP are my top choices! If I get into either I'll just die!
Its hard to think I'm even competitive because there are some crazy scores on here. I know my gpa is solid but I feel like it isn't enough cause I know some of the schools I (we) applied to are crazy hard to get into haha like ucsf/uop/uw... I really want to go to Uop (cost scares me tho and the cost of living in that area), UCSF, and UW. If I get into UW my entire family is thinking of relocating there because I currently live in hawaii and we're tired of this rock! haha UW is definitely my #1 then ucsf/uop.

hey so congrats on everything you got a great story. I hope I can get in to some schools... But anyways, how did you study for the PAT?? I've been doing 15 probs of 3 out of the 6 pat sections almost each night from destroyer and seem to be getting okay on them. I usually miss around 3-5 on each section, yea I know, bad. But what did you do to study? I don't want to get the Crack system because I've heard its really expensive and not worth it. Do you think if I get good at the bootcamp ones I should be fine on the real thing? I take my test in March.

hey so congrats on everything you got a great story. I hope I can get in to some schools... But anyways, how did you study for the PAT?? I've been doing 15 probs of 3 out of the 6 pat sections almost each night from destroyer and seem to be getting okay on them. I usually miss around 3-5 on each section, yea I know, bad. But what did you do to study? I don't want to get the Crack system because I've heard its really expensive and not worth it. Do you think if I get good at the bootcamp ones I should be fine on the real thing? I take my test in March.

Destroyer has a PAT section???

Bootcamp.... oops

I would say 80% of my PAT studying was done with CDP. Crack DAT is great for PAT, QR, and RC--not so much the sciences. But definitely PAT is Crack DAT's bread and butter. I liked that I had limitless angle ranking problems, pattern folding, and most notably for me, limitless hole punching. I was for whatever reason really, really bad at that. I printed 4x4 grids, and just practiced 15 problems at a time, setting time goals before accuracy goals. I did a "diagnostic" and did 15 hole punches in 30 minutes with something like 70% accuracy. I kept chugging through problems for 2-3 days, doing sets of 10, 15-hole punch sets. I worked my way down to I think 8 minutes with 90% accuracy with pretty decent consistency. Cube counting also had generators on CDP, but they were VERY difficult. I had 1 set once with 38 blocks and I kinda quit and relied more heavily on bootcamp for those.

Bootcamp, I liked their TFE generators and keyhole.

tl;dr: For me, I don't think bootcamp would have been enough. If nothing else, purchase CDP only from the crack DAT series.

I would say 80% of my PAT studying was done with CDP. Crack DAT is great for PAT, QR, and RC--not so much the sciences. But definitely PAT is Crack DAT's bread and butter. I liked that I had limitless angle ranking problems, pattern folding, and most notably for me, limitless hole punching. I was for whatever reason really, really bad at that. I printed 4x4 grids, and just practiced 15 problems at a time, setting time goals before accuracy goals. I did a "diagnostic" and did 15 hole punches in 30 minutes with something like 70% accuracy. I kept chugging through problems for 2-3 days, doing sets of 10, 15-hole punch sets. I worked my way down to I think 8 minutes with 90% accuracy with pretty decent consistency. Cube counting also had generators on CDP, but they were VERY difficult. I had 1 set once with 38 blocks and I kinda quit and relied more heavily on bootcamp for those.

Bootcamp, I liked their TFE generators and keyhole.

tl;dr: For me, I don't think bootcamp would have been enough. If nothing else, purchase CDP only from the crack DAT series.
ohhh okay. Yea, I noticed that when I first got bootcamp that it did not have a good generator but they updated a bunch of stuff and their generator is pretty good though. Still kinda lacking in the keyhole though. for some reason I'm not really good at that. I'll see CDAT and how it is.

Thanks so much