DAT Breakdown 1/25/16 (TS 26/ AA 26/ PAT 26)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iliketeeth13

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys!

I've lurked on so many breakdown threads over the past month and felt like they helped me a lot, so here's mine.

I studied for about a month, give or take - from December 19 when school ended until the day before my test. However, I only went as hard as I planned for around the 1st week, which I devoted to starting and finishing all of Chad's Orgo and GC videos as well as read through Cliff's AP Bio twice, typing my own notes up the second time. The 2nd week, family came and I was way more distracted but devoted that to doing Destroyer problems (both DAT and math). The 3rd week, I got sick and got little done except finish the Destroyer problems and do one bootcamp full practice test. I got back to school on January 12 and had to balance my hardest course load with studying. I wouldn't recommend registering for a date too far into the new semester because it's really frustrating to have to do school stuff instead of study, and you can't focus entirely on DAT or school! I finished all the bootcamp tests, then basically went over typed notes a couple of times and took it easy the last couple of days before my test (I felt like I was starting to get sick so I basically slept a lot, took vitamins, and avoided going outside in the snow).

Here's what I used. It's different for everyone and for some this may seem like the bare minimum, but I don't know if I would have had the willpower to get through any more prep material in detail.

Chad's videos for OC and GC (9/10)
These were a lifesaver for general chemistry because I hadn't had general chemistry in a year and a half. Chad also went over some things that I never even learned in class but was on the DAT. Organic was a little redundant because I had just finished the orgo 1 and 2 sequence, but it was good for review. I would recommend watching these and taking notes on anything that you're not sure you know 100%. I watched them all on 1.5 speed and finished them in under a week, so it's doable!

DAT & math destroyer (10/10)
I would give these books a 100000/10 if I could. Really, these are gold. While they are harder than the actual questions you would get, it makes you comfortable with almost anything you could ever get tested on. Bio was especially great because it exposed me to a crazy amount of things that I have never seen before. Don't get discouraged if you don't know over half the questions, but make sure you understand every single answer choice and every word in the question. It helps to create a document with all of your notes so that you don't have to go back and redo all the questions (it's a waste of time to redo things you know 100%). Math destroyer was painful to get through because there were so much and some of it was really hard, but it definitely made bootcamp and the actual DAT seem easier.

Bootcamp (10/10)
Bootcamp was great practice for the DAT because it had a very similar online format and got me used to marking questions. The bio questions I felt like were pretty on par with the actual DAT, while GC, OC, RC, and QR were a bit harder. I actually thought that the PAT section was similar to the actual DAT except for keyholes (keyholes MUCH easier on actual DAT) but otherwise reflected the difficulty of the DAT. I never got more than a 23 on bootcamp PAT though, so perhaps the scoring was a little harder. Loved that you couldn't fudge on the timing because the test automatically stops after the given time. I would try to mirror real test conditions as much as possible and take the sciences and PAT in succession, then RC and QR.

Cliff's AP Bio (7/10)
I would get the book and perhaps read through once, taking note of all the sections that you are shaky on. I personally never took developmental bio and didn't know much about animal diversity, so I made sure to take copious notes on those sections. Overall, this book was great for giving me most of what I needed to know, but you'll see that there's so much you're missing when you do destroyer bio. I would recommend reviewing this as one of your first steps in studying though so you aren't missing key basic chunks of knowledge.

Kaplan Blue Book (4/10)
I felt like this was a waste of money. The Kaplan test was very weird and mistake-riddled, and neither the PAT nor the QR section were representative. Actually, none of it was that representative (refer to my scores). The bio section of Kaplan might actually be helpful to fill in a couple of holes that Cliff's didn't cover, but I'm not sure it was enough to make this book worth it.

2009 DAT (7/10)
The science scores were very representative of what I got on the actual DAT (but make sure you look up the known errors in the answer key or you'll be super concerned!). PAT was pretty good too, but RC and QR were substantially harder than what I got on the actual test. It was pretty concerning because I did this 2 nights before my test and I couldn't even figure out a couple of QR questions after looking at the answers.

That's all I used! I feel like it was enough, but everyone's different. I've read good reviews about Crack PAT, but I was so over the PAT after the 10 bootcamp tests that I decided not to spend more money and time.

As far as the actual test, the sciences were manageable and expected, PAT seemed harder than I would've liked (very very surprised about my score - was expecting around a 21), and RC and QR were SO EASY. I do think it's luck of the draw because I got 3 very straightforward articles that were biology-related. QR was actually laughably easy. I was initially most concerned about this section because it's usually a hit or miss for me, and I don't know if I also just got lucky but I even had 5 minutes left over after checking answers. On all of my practice tests, I always had around 3 or 4 questions I couldn't even get to and a bunch marked that I half guessed on.

So last thing I'll leave y'all with is my practice test scores. You'll see that I did better on the actual exam than in practice, and from the many threads I've read this is pretty typical.

Bio/GC/OC/PAT/RC/QR
Bootcamp:
30/23/24/22/21/23
25/22/22/23/21/23
26/30/22/22/24/24
23/23/30/22/30/23
25/22/24/20/25/18

Kaplan:
22/18/28/21/22/29

2009 DAT:
25/24/27/24/21/19

Good luck everyone!! You can do it! Hope this helps.

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• DAT scores!.pdf
    562.6 KB · Views: 293
Reactions: 6 users
Hey guys!

I've lurked on so many breakdown threads over the past month and felt like they helped me a lot, so here's mine.

I studied for about a month, give or take - from December 19 when school ended until the day before my test. However, I only went as hard as I planned for around the 1st week, which I devoted to starting and finishing all of Chad's Orgo and GC videos as well as read through Cliff's AP Bio twice, typing my own notes up the second time. The 2nd week, family came and I was way more distracted but devoted that to doing Destroyer problems (both DAT and math). The 3rd week, I got sick and got little done except finish the Destroyer problems and do one bootcamp full practice test. I got back to school on January 12 and had to balance my hardest course load with studying. I wouldn't recommend registering for a date too far into the new semester because it's really frustrating to have to do school stuff instead of study, and you can't focus entirely on DAT or school! I finished all the bootcamp tests, then basically went over typed notes a couple of times and took it easy the last couple of days before my test (I felt like I was starting to get sick so I basically slept a lot, took vitamins, and avoided going outside in the snow).

Here's what I used. It's different for everyone and for some this may seem like the bare minimum, but I don't know if I would have had the willpower to get through any more prep material in detail.

Chad's videos for OC and GC (9/10)
These were a lifesaver for general chemistry because I hadn't had general chemistry in a year and a half. Chad also went over some things that I never even learned in class but was on the DAT. Organic was a little redundant because I had just finished the orgo 1 and 2 sequence, but it was good for review. I would recommend watching these and taking notes on anything that you're not sure you know 100%. I watched them all on 1.5 speed and finished them in under a week, so it's doable!

DAT & math destroyer (10/10)
I would give these books a 100000/10 if I could. Really, these are gold. While they are harder than the actual questions you would get, it makes you comfortable with almost anything you could ever get tested on. Bio was especially great because it exposed me to a crazy amount of things that I have never seen before. Don't get discouraged if you don't know over half the questions, but make sure you understand every single answer choice and every word in the question. It helps to create a document with all of your notes so that you don't have to go back and redo all the questions (it's a waste of time to redo things you know 100%). Math destroyer was painful to get through because there were so much and some of it was really hard, but it definitely made bootcamp and the actual DAT seem easier.

Bootcamp (10/10)
Bootcamp was great practice for the DAT because it had a very similar online format and got me used to marking questions. The bio questions I felt like were pretty on par with the actual DAT, while GC, OC, RC, and QR were a bit harder. I actually thought that the PAT section was similar to the actual DAT except for keyholes (keyholes MUCH easier on actual DAT) but otherwise reflected the difficulty of the DAT. I never got more than a 23 on bootcamp PAT though, so perhaps the scoring was a little harder. Loved that you couldn't fudge on the timing because the test automatically stops after the given time. I would try to mirror real test conditions as much as possible and take the sciences and PAT in succession, then RC and QR.

Cliff's AP Bio (7/10)
I would get the book and perhaps read through once, taking note of all the sections that you are shaky on. I personally never took developmental bio and didn't know much about animal diversity, so I made sure to take copious notes on those sections. Overall, this book was great for giving me most of what I needed to know, but you'll see that there's so much you're missing when you do destroyer bio. I would recommend reviewing this as one of your first steps in studying though so you aren't missing key basic chunks of knowledge.

Kaplan Blue Book (4/10)
I felt like this was a waste of money. The Kaplan test was very weird and mistake-riddled, and neither the PAT nor the QR section were representative. Actually, none of it was that representative (refer to my scores). The bio section of Kaplan might actually be helpful to fill in a couple of holes that Cliff's didn't cover, but I'm not sure it was enough to make this book worth it.

2009 DAT (7/10)
The science scores were very representative of what I got on the actual DAT (but make sure you look up the known errors in the answer key or you'll be super concerned!). PAT was pretty good too, but RC and QR were substantially harder than what I got on the actual test. It was pretty concerning because I did this 2 nights before my test and I couldn't even figure out a couple of QR questions after looking at the answers.

That's all I used! I feel like it was enough, but everyone's different. I've read good reviews about Crack PAT, but I was so over the PAT after the 10 bootcamp tests that I decided not to spend more money and time.

As far as the actual test, the sciences were manageable and expected, PAT seemed harder than I would've liked (very very surprised about my score - was expecting around a 21), and RC and QR were SO EASY. I do think it's luck of the draw because I got 3 very straightforward articles that were biology-related. QR was actually laughably easy. I was initially most concerned about this section because it's usually a hit or miss for me, and I don't know if I also just got lucky but I even had 5 minutes left over after checking answers. On all of my practice tests, I always had around 3 or 4 questions I couldn't even get to and a bunch marked that I half guessed on.

So last thing I'll leave y'all with is my practice test scores. You'll see that I did better on the actual exam than in practice, and from the many threads I've read this is pretty typical.

Bio/GC/OC/PAT/RC/QR
Bootcamp:
30/23/24/22/21/23
25/22/22/23/21/23
26/30/22/22/24/24
23/23/30/22/30/23
25/22/24/20/25/18

Kaplan:
22/18/28/21/22/29

2009 DAT:
25/24/27/24/21/19

Good luck everyone!! You can do it! Hope this helps.

:clap::clap::clap:WOW!!!! Congratulations iliketeeth13!!!:clap::clap::clap:

The DAT Beast has been sent back to his cave waiting for his next opponent, he was not match for you. Dental schools will love your consistently high scores. Sit back and relax, interviews and acceptances are in your future.

Thanks for the shout out and taking the time to give a very detailed review.

Wishing you the very best and keep us posted along the way.

Take care..Nancy

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks everyone! It's a relief to finally get it over with.

Also, wow - I was so excited to see that the geniuses behind the Destroyer books responded!! Thanks Dr. Romano & Nancy!

Excellent job!!!

How many times did you got grouch destroyer? Also what was your method for Going through it?

What did a typical day after week 1 look like for you?

Thanks!!

Thanks everyone! It's a relief to finally get it over with.

Also, wow - I was so excited to see that the geniuses behind the Destroyer books responded!! Thanks Dr. Romano & Nancy!

Thanks iliketeeth13, for the kind words. We gave you materials to study but YOU put in the hard work..and we applaud you for that.

Keep us posted along the way!

Dr. Romano and Nancy

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Excellent job!!!

How many times did you got grouch destroyer? Also what was your method for Going through it?

What did a typical day after week 1 look like for you?

Thanks!!
Thank you :) I only went through the destroyers once each BUT I wrote down every single thing that I wasn't 100% sure about. Even if I was positive my answer was correct, if there was an answer choice that seemed unfamiliar, I would look it up and write it down. I typed up all of these notes (came out to around 25 pages) and went over these typed notes throughout.

I did about 40-50 questions from each section (bio, GC, OC, QR, 1 math destroyer test) every day after week 1. Mornings were for typing up the previous day's notes and reviewing the things that I had written down. The afternoon and majority of the night were to do all the questions for that day. Whenever I had a little time left over before bedtime, I would go through PAT generators from bootcamp. That's about all I did until I finished all of the questions in each book.

Wow, stunning scores!! Congratulations on your success, and thanks for giving back with a detailed breakdown :)
Oh man, that all of these people who are basically celebrities imo are on this thread is so exciting. Thanks Ari and thanks a billion for creating bootcamp!

Reactions: 1 user
That's an awesome score! How many hours did you study a week?
Also I see that you scored a 30 on one of your RC bootcamp tests, can you share your method of approaching that section?

I studied 12 hrs/day for the first week, but probably studied 6-8 hours the next two weeks. School started pretty soon after so I only did what I was able to, mostly the 5 hours needed to take a practice test!

I'm a really fast reader and love to read for pleasure, so my approach is probably only useful for certain people. I found that reading the entire article through then doing the questions was the best approach for me. The first two times I took a practice test I used search & destroy, which wasn't very effective in my opinion. I liked having a good idea of the article as a whole. That being said, I know search & destroy works for most people/most articles, but I would definitely recommend just reading the entire thing at once if you're a fast reader and tend to remember what you read!

I studied 12 hrs/day for the first week, but probably studied 6-8 hours the next two weeks. School started pretty soon after so I only did what I was able to, mostly the 5 hours needed to take a practice test!

I'm a really fast reader and love to read for pleasure, so my approach is probably only useful for certain people. I found that reading the entire article through then doing the questions was the best approach for me. The first two times I took a practice test I used search & destroy, which wasn't very effective in my opinion. I liked having a good idea of the article as a whole. That being said, I know search & destroy works for most people/most articles, but I would definitely recommend just reading the entire thing at once if you're a fast reader and tend to remember what you read!
I wish I can do that, but I am a very slow reader haha, so I am still trying to find the technique that will suite me best.
Also, when doing practice tests, did you take your time and try to go over each question slowly or did you take them like they were actual exams (timed)?

Definitely take them timed! Bootcamp is great for simulating the actual test and will stop the test exactly when time is over. I would recommend doing the practice tests as if you were in actual testing situations.

I didn't do destroyer timed, though! The questions are harder than you'd find on the actual test, so take the time to fully understand each one instead of rushing through.

Reactions: 1 user
Great scores and a very informative breakdown. When you say you went through all of Chad's videos in less than a week, did that include taking all of the quizzes?

Thank to both of you! :)

I did take all of Chad's quizzes during that week. I took the quizzes after watching the corresponding (which I actually wouldn't recommend). I think it's probably best practice to finish a set of videos and then take all the quizzes at once (like take all the quizzes for the first part of orgo after you finish all the sections in that first part).