DAT Breakdown 17AA —> 21AA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bcalex21

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
First off, let me say this has been a long time coming. I have wanted to be a dentist since I was 10 years old. I graduated in December of 2017. I majored in Biology had a GPA of 3.86 and a science GPA of 3.75. I have around 100 hours of volunteering and over 4000+ hours of shadowing and work experience in a dental office (was lucky enough to be hired by a dentist in college to assist and have remained there since graduating).

I first took the DAT in July of 2017:

AA/TS/PAT/BIO/GenC/Orgo/RC/QR
17/16/15/19/15/13/19/20

My scores were terrible. I don’t know if I didn’t prepare the right way or if I just was not truly ready to really put all my time and effort into this test. I used DAT bootcamp to study for this test.

Fast forward to January 2019.

I decided that I would retake the DAT but I wanted to use another program that might would teach the material in another way. I found this course called iPrep Dental and starting doing some research. From what I found it appeared that over 90% of students that take their course score 20+ on the DAT and knock the SNS section out of the park. This was huge fore me. My Orgo and Gen Chem scores sucked so I thought it couldn’t hurt so I signed up.

Fast forward to May 2019.

I took my DAT in May and I can’t believe how much I improved.

AA/TS/PAT/BIO/GenC/Orgo/RC/QR
21/21/19/22/21/20/22/21

BIO (22) I used Feralis Notes, Dat Destroyer, and the quizzes on iPrep.

Gen Chem (21) Only used iPrep

OChem (20) Only used iPrep

RC (22) Only used iPrep

QR (21) Used iPrep and Math Destroyer. Math destroyer was definitely way harder but it helped solidify some concepts I wasn’t getting the hang of.

PAT (19) I used iPrep generators and also used DATBootcamp practice tests. 19 isn’t the greatest but I am very happy and content with my scores plus it’s a lot better than that 15 I got the first time lol.

I am excited about the application cycle this year!

Don’t let your low scores get you down! Keep trying and put in the work and I promise it’ll all pay off!

Do you think my PAT score will end up hurting me in the end? Any schools you’d recommend applying to?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
This is great. Congratulations :)
Awesome scores. I don't think your Pat is bad or anything.
I hope you get accepted to your dream school this cycle!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi! I'm using iprep to study and I was wondering if you would be willing to give a breakdown of your practice exam scores so that I could get an idea of how those might compare to the score you get on test day. Also, would you say that iprep's QR practice tests are representative of what you saw on test day? I have been struggling with them. Thank you for sharing your experience and congrats on your awesome scores!