DAT breakdown 19 AA 20 TS - You can do it!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

juandhy

2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I feel glad and a bit in shock at the same time after finishing the DAT.

Dat score:
PA 20
QR 18
RC 20
BIO 20
GC 19
OC 20
TS 20
AA 19

I know many of you are reading through these breakdowns and seeing how amazing people are doing. I was too a couple of weeks ago. I was super nervous and stressed out.
I'd like to tell the beginner "DAT takers" that the 1st and last week are the toughest. Getting into a rhythm of studying 8 hours a day isn't comfortable. Many days i did longer study days. I had a lot of things not going in my favor, I'm here to tell you that you can do it. If you put in the hours and the effort you will obtain the results you want.
I started with super low BC scores (might just post them to make you feel better), but i learned from them(painfully). In a way, going through BC and Destroyer problems makes you feel like a failure if you score badly. Know that scoring poorly or SUPER poorly as i did in BC/Destoyer is normal. Biggest advise i can give you is to review all your notes over and over again. I made over 100 pages of APCliffs but didn't review them, so most of it went to waste. Stick to your schedule for studying, know that the more you study the better you'll score. Also, something I kept asking myself was, "how can i remember this much?" "its too much information" It is, but you need to review it over and over again. I wish i could've gone over Chads notes over and over, that would've helped me so much. So yes, in a way you want to understand all the concepts really well. Going by what i experienced, it was much different than others (especially in biology).

Huge word of advise, if you're nervous about the DAT, avoid SDN 3 days prior.

My first BC scores (ill just post the bad ones so you see how i was doing)
FrniFVo.png

The real DAT: Going in i felt horrible ( :barf:) the Prometric attendant called me the day before to confirm, said to arrive 30 min prior and that they opened at 7. If i came in earlier i could take the test earlier.
The two laminated sheets given to me were pretty beat up ( i was expecting new sharpies and sheets for what i paid). I had a marker dry up on me. The testing room got colder near the end, suggest bringing a sweater. Also, make sure you ask the proctors ANY and all questions you have, each place has their own protocols. With my place, i had to get up and exchange my sheets. They made me empty my pockets (jokes on them i had cargo shorts) [Further breakdown below]

Time spent studying: 8 weeks -ish (final two weeks was taking summer classes and was working during too).
Background: Previously taken GC1/2, BIO1/2, Cell biology, Orgo 1 (yeah no orgo 2), Calculus (doesn't really count).

Materials used: Ari's schedule (no days off and less review): Chads Videos, Ferallis, MathDestroyer, DATBootcamp, DATDestroyer

Lessons learned:
-Shouldnt have used AP Cliffs (I shouldve used Feralis and gone over it 12 times instead)
-More study time would've been super
-Shouldve reviewed my notes over and over again (and over again)
-Shouldnt have crammed 5 BC FL tests day after day (especially after that one 12 hour work day), id be finishing them up at 1-2am, had classes in the morning.
-Should have used the cube counting method with tally's for cube counting and the x's for hole punch
What i did right:
-Didnt worry much about small details, focused on the greater picture

Biology 20: Yep, a big chunk of my questions were about plants, 3 taxonomy too (lucky me lol, as i was taking the test i was saying to myself, "you've got to be kidding me, SDN said i wouldn't have these many"). I memorized most of the DAT Destroyer questions and was expecting "repeats" but nope. Questions were worded weirdly. Make sure you read them carefully though. I marked about 15 questions. Oh, and thank god i actually studied plants. Some questions were super easy: could've answered without having studied a thing.
EDIT: Something to add about Biology questions: they are worded in simpler terms than BC or Destroyer. These to last ones are worded to help you learn. The DAT is worded for simplicity and will throw trick answer choices at you. Ie. "A squirrel picks up an acorn from the ground, which of the following is true."
Also, didn't have any genetics problems (was a rough area for me so thank god), no animal behavior, like 1 hormone question (super super easy),

GC 19: I swear the devil is on the details. Fundamentals guys, they like to play with small changes to words and definitions. I was rushing past this section since i didn't want to cut time from OC. I really really wanted to go back to two questions i marked.
EDIT: I put all my faith in Destroyer, should've placed more attention to BC videos.

OC 20: Fairly straight forward. Most of my questions were skeletal formulas just like in Dat Destroyer. On par with Bootcamp difficulty if not easier (scored lower than my averages though...). Every question seemed like it was made with different fonts.
EDIT: Two IR questions (was expecting more).

PA 20: I don't even... what can i say about this section. (didn't use my scratch paper for this at all)
Keyholes: Are you kidding me with these structures? Not only were they low quality, but they were not even proportional.
TFE: Normal just like BC, maybe one hard one.
Angles: I actually got really good at these near the end, was getting 90% right on practice tests. Most were simple angle comparisons between two, not between four angles. They were just as challenging as BC.
Holepunch: straightforward just like in BC, only a couple had double punched holes.
Cube counting: few tricky ones, but not that many cubes. Pictures were blown way up, loved it.
Pattern folding: my weakest section, probably messed up quite a bit here.
EDIT: something to mention for PAT, you'll get a tutorial prior to each section of PAT which WILL EAT UP YOUR TIME. I have no clue why they would include them. I can't even think how you would be able to read the tutorials and finish on time.
Break: I was so shaky after seeing all those plant questions, so i decided to browse SDN haha. Got half an hour, i exchanged one sheet i used for GC for a new one and my dry marker. And you know what, the markers were such cheap quality, they were obviously used and the points were NOT sharp. Asked the lady if i could use my phone outside, she said yes. So i guess if you really wanted to, you could review math during this part.

RC 20: Super easy and mostly in order. Used the highlighting function for quick referencing. I took too long on the first reading and i rushed past the final 10 questions. I recommend reading faster (don't ask me how :shrug: ). Used S&D on last 10. Had to do math for a question (good warm up for QR i guess).

QR 18: I swear i had a question with a mistake in the answer choices. Had 1 long problem with two paragraphs (answered and marked). This was probably the section that you could get really good at with more studying honestly. They aren't hard problems, you just need to know how to do them right away. I found BC wayyyy more helpful with QR since it explained answers really well. I still have a smudge from the "permanent" markers i used. Oh and i DID use 2 whole sheets back and front for this, i got new ones after my break. I was given the F to C formula. Also was on par with what i was getting in all my BC practice exams.

End of exam: I actually didn't want to finish QR, was so dead inside (emotionally :cryi:). I really made an effort to finish strong and not rush. Endurance wise i was not tired at all. Ari's FL Bootcamps really give you a good feel for this, plus adrenaline and all helped too.

Misc info: Bootcamp is where its at for PAT. Some people are just naturally good at this. Strategy for angle ranking involves closing one eye and using a finger of each hand to even out both angles. I wasn't told i couldn't touch the screen, but I've read on here that you aren't allowed. Biology i would've studied Feralis instead of cliffs. But even then, even if i had cliffs memorized, you still need to know how to apply knowledge to a problem. Its not just spewing out memorized facts.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Good job! I saw you drop comment in another thread earlier how you were on SDN while on your break haha. Nice. Must feel so relieved. It's weird how your test emphasized plants. I've read lots of breakdowns as well and everyone always says how they reviewed plants religiously, yet had zero questions on it when the time came. I'm sorry you had to be the unlucky one! At least you were prepared.

Reactions: 1 user
Good job! I saw you drop comment in another thread earlier how you were on SDN while on your break haha. Nice. Must feel so relieved. It's weird how your test emphasized plants. I've read lots of breakdowns as well and everyone always says how they reviewed plants religiously, yet had zero questions on it when the time came. I'm sorry you had to be the unlucky one! At least you were prepared.

There will be plenty of people taking this version of the test, so for future reference people should be prepared for a test with a load of plant questions, unfortunately lol.

And also great job OP you did well!

Reactions: 1 users