DAT breakdown 2022 (21 AA, 20 TS, 21 PAT)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kayflan14

Reaction score
r/predental - DAT breakdown

Hello! I wanted to share how helpful DAT Booster was in helping me to achieve the scores I needed to get an offer of interview from 8 schools and 4 offers of acceptance!

Scores:
QR - 19
RC - 23
Bio – 30
PA - 21
GC - 18
OC - 17
TS - 20
AA – 21

Academic History:
Bio major – Graduated summer 2022 - 3.77 GPA

Disclaimer:

I want to begin my breakdown by saying, DAT booster was a life saver, however, I do not recommend anyone to wait as long as I did to start studying. I am an awful procrastinator, and I did not start studying for my test until 3 weeks out. I originally took the DAT in 2021 with almost no studying. I bought a Kaplan study book from a thrift store and worked maybe ¼ though it. I ended up with a 17 AA. I was just looking to get the test under my belt before applying the following year. In the summer of 2022, I was finishing up my degree and before I knew it, I had 3 weeks before my test date. I crammed for 12-16 hours a day for those 3 weeks. I believe that the 12-week study schedule that is proposed by DAT booster would’ve prepared me much better and I have no doubt that I would’ve scored much higher. With that being said, I was able to utilize this program and a few of the crash courses that they offer to still do well enough to get accepted to the school I wanted.

DAT Booster program

This program was amazing. I only used DAT booster and the additional Crash courses offered to study for my DAT. For the most part, for each subject, I watched the videos in sections at a time. I would then answer the practice questions that correlated with the material directly afterwards. I would take a test every few days at first and use the scores that I received from the test dictate what I studied more heavily the next few days. Towards the end of my time (last 3 days) I was only taking practice tests. I tried to get through all of the videos for the sciences, QR, and PA. I didn’t finish the chemistry content; this can be seen in my scores. I believe that if I were able to marinate on the information in the chemistry sections rather than speeding through them, as well as finishing the content, I would’ve scored much higher.

QR:

My biggest advice for the section is to take the crash course! The instructor provides SO MANY helpful shortcuts in solving problems that were on the test! It was the first crash course I took, and I believe if I had gone back and reviewed the tips better before taking the exam, I could’ve increased my scores to be in the high 20’s! The program provides ample questions and fantastic explanations/breakdowns for QR. In my opinion with the crash course and program, I don’t think addition resources are needed to excel in this section.

RC:

I am going to be completely open about this section. I honestly did not take much time to practice for the reading comprehension since the year prior I hadn’t studied and made a 23 in that section. I made the same score this go around. The reading presented on the practice tests were very similar to the real deal. I do not have much advise in improving RC sores. I will say however, I was making similar scores on the practice tests as what I made on the actual DAT. So, I do think one could decide whether more practice is needed based off of the practice scores.

Bio:

I made a 30 in this section! The material given to me by the program was great, but I believe it wasn’t enough information. I was told that more material will be added, so this may no longer be the case. However, I give full credit of my perfect score to the crash course. The material presented was EXACTLY what was on the test. I took very good notes during the course and it was everything I needed to excel in this section. With that being said, if I was not a bio major, I would’ve needed more study time to retain all of the information. I was able to build off of my knowledge I already had which probably gave me an advantage in this section.

GC:

In my practice tests, this was my worst score by far. I was way out of practice with chemistry since it had been 2 years since I last took gen chem. I believe that the information given in DAT booster is rich in the knowledge that is needed, however, I just did not have enough time to relearn all of it. If I had given myself 12 weeks, I know I could’ve relearned much of this subject and scored much higher. Do not sleep on gen chem and orgo in the DAT, they both kicked my booty. There was no crash course for gen chem available when I was studying. If you are studying and they have since started offering the crash course, I would take it.

OC:

17…... I was very disappointed in this score. I was scoring in the low 20’s on my practice tests on DAT booster so I was more worried about studying gen chem. I did take the first session of the Crash course for the Orgo Chem, but I did not take the other 2 nights. The information being presented was fine and all, but I resonate with certain teaching types, and I wasn’t retaining any of the information being offered. I felt I was better off studying the information myself. In the instructor’s defense, it was a very late course, and I was already tired when it started, so it could’ve just been my mental fatigue. I also believe that the questions I was given in the section of the DAT was loaded with very difficult questions. Not to make excuses, but I do know that sometimes it can happen. It sure felt like it did to me. I would say decide for yourself on this one, I got though the majority of the content, but the practice question explanations were lacking in this section. This may be a section that an additional resource is needed.

PA:

This is a very difficult section. The resources available on booster were fabulous. I believe that strategies as well as ample practice questions are provided in this program. I took the Crash course for this section and I believe it was very helpful. I practiced the questions that didn’t come easily to me. There were parts that came more naturally to me like the angles, but the folding and keyhole questions required repetition and practice. I believe all that is provided though booster and the crash course gave wonderful tips in strategies.

Actual DAT:

Bio (30): It felt like I was taking a test over the crash course, I was confident about all of the questions

GC (18): I was so sick during GC and OC; I knew I needed more study time, but booster still helped me to make a decent score.

OC (17): I cannot stress enough that this section is HARD. Take extra time to study for it, especially if it has been a while since you took the courses. I knew that this was going to be my worst section based on how difficult the information presented was as soon as I finished.

PAT (21): repetition and practice paid off! Don’t second guess yourself.

RC (23): I can’t help on this section. I did exactly how I expected.

QR (19): I was actually quite disappointed; I knew that if I had revisited my notes from the crash course better before the exam that I would’ve made a much higher score. DO NOT SLEEP ON THE CRASH COURSE! It is full of every tip to help you do well!

Timeline:
I only gave myself 3 weeks of studying. DO NOT DO THIS. I lost so much hair and my body was so messed up from the stress at the end. I went to urgent care multiples times during and after from stomach issues, all from causing myself too much unnecessary stress. DAT booster makes it easy and provides 2 different study calendars. If I were to have to do it again, and I was actually kind to myself, I would’ve followed the 12-week schedule. This gives you plenty of time to get though all of the information, take the crash courses, and allow you to go back over any section you are struggling in.

Closing thoughts:
I cannot stress enough to TAKE ADVANTAGE OF THE CRASH COURSES! They are a gift from above. Not only are they full of the information that WILL be on the test, but strategies are also given. AND, each course that is taken, they give you additional practice tests. Booster comes with 10 already, but I had access to 4 more by the end!

PLEASE give yourself more time than I did. This is a stressful time, not procrastinating will reduce the stress and help you produce better scores. Also, be sure to take lots of breaks, endless studying with no mental break will not be as successful as giving your brain time to digest information. Good luck all of you future dentists! & please be kind to yourselves!

P.S. I received 8 interview offers, and of the 4 schools I interviewed at, I was offered seats at all 4!

Members don't see this ad.