DAT Breakdown (21AA/21TS/19PAT)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wefaegawe

Reaction score
I took the DAT for the first time on August 1, 2022. However, I will say that my study timeline and approach for this exam was unconventional as I only studied for five days.

Materials Used: DATBooster
This was the only prep material I utilized. I stumbled across DATBooster having the most positive and consistent reviews. It prepared me well in the sense that I did not get a question that I had not encountered that information somewhere in their prep materials.

With that being said, I will now expand on why my study timeline was unconventional. My original plan had been to study for two months, starting on June 1st. For a few days in June, I watched all the videos (on 2x, which probably doesn’t help much in fully grasping the content) in bio, OChem, and GChem on Booster. I took notes with the bio and GChem videos but grew tired of taking that much time during each video and stopped. I didn’t even completely finish the ochem videos. While the videos were easy to follow and definitely helped me make sense of things, I never reviewed my notes and I retained nothing. June came and went, and before I knew it, it was July 17. I told myself I would fully start studying then, and I took my first practice test with no review and got an 18AA. I let time pass until I was left with five days to study. I crammed as much as I could mentally take, and spent anywhere from 3-9 hours each day.

Prep:
I only took four full-length practice tests, and personally, they drained me a lot to the point I was rushing to get them done and learned nothing as I didn’t review the missed questions. However, I made the mistake of doing two in one day twice. I scored 16-18 AA on them. I changed my approach after that.

Bio (22): I skimmed over the Feralis notes. Most of it was review as I had encountered the majority of information in previous courses (except for anatomy and developmental bio). They were in-depth and covered a lot, but if that additional information wasn’t there, I feel as though some of the items would have been harder to study. I then went through the question banks and read the explanations. I also took all of the practice tests. I did not review the practice tests as I was in a serious time crunch. On the test, the questions were straightforward and I could’ve gotten more right if I had reviewed them because I remembered seeing the information in Booster.

Gen Chem(19): This was by far my weakest area. I read through a section of the study notes and then would do the question banks. I then went through the practice tests and reviewed five of them. My test was mainly mathematical, so make sure you know how to do the calculations.

OChem(21): I had the same study approach to it as GChem. Read the study notes and reaction sheet, then the question banks, followed by the practice tests (reviewed 7 of 10).

RC(24): I did not study for this outside of those four full lengths because I found it too time-consuming with my limited time. This section was pretty much the same as the articles I got on DATBooster.

QR(18): I also did not study for this. I rushed through the QR on practice tests and usually didn’t answer most of the questions. From what I saw on Booster, the questions were similar to the real test.

PAT(19): Angle-ranking, cube-counting, hole-punching, and pattern-folding were fairly easy for me to grasp. TFE was manageable once I read the strategies. KH was my weakest and they took me the longest. I only took the four practice tests that were in the full lengths, and I didn’t practice two days before the test because they were too time-consuming. On the real test, I started with angle-ranking and worked from there. I saw quite a few rock keyholes on my test, so it was a guess and go. Overall, the difficulty was about the same as Booster.

Overall, cramming in five days is, quite honestly, miserable. I would’ve eased up a bit had I seen other students that didn’t invest much time into studying and prepping, so hopefully, if anyone else is in a similar position, they will know it is possible to do well with little time. I regret not giving myself more time to truly try my best, but I do not regret enjoying my summer. Find a study plan and method that works for you, and don’t doubt yourself or feel guilty if you don’t invest as much time as some others do.

Members don't see this ad.