DAT Breakdown (22TS/21AA/24PAT)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

student56

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Firstly, thanks to all the people on SDN that have posted DAT breakdowns... definitely helped me throughout my journey. Finished the exam on 25/05/17 but finally decided to share my DAT experience with fellow pre-dentals. Anyways, my scores:
(BIO / GC / OC / PAT / RC / QR / TS / AA)
( 21 / 22 / 25 / 24 / 18 / 20 / 22 / 21)

Background: Neuroscience major, finished Junior year, cGPA: 3.86, sGPA: 3.81. Many upper level bio classes taken.

I only used the most popular resources: Chad's sparkly head of knowledge, DAT Bootcamp (+ Genius), Cliff's AP Bio (x1), DAT Destroyer (x2), Math Destroyer (x1 ish), Feralis' Bio notes(x1), and Bio section from Kaplan book. Study time: about 2 month (started studying during spring semester and had 3 solid weeks after finals to study before my exam).

Bio (21): Got my base with Cliffs AP Bio and Destroyer (x1). Did the first 3 DAT Bootcamp tests and didn't like my score in bio so I blazed through Feralis notes (first time) ASAP 6 days before my exam and started getting 21 consistently. Yes, you are in control of your score.

Gen Chem (22): Chad + Destroyer during my semester and then Destroyer again after my finals ended. DAT Bootcamp. I actually like GC so reviewing this was kind of easy and fun; didn't spend too much time on it. Took notes while watching Chad.

OC (25): Chad + Destroyer (x2) followed by DAT Bootcamp. Chad's reaction sheet came clutch here. Got run over with a B in orgo 2 so I was nervous for this section when I started studying. I guess its good to be nervous (cautiously)... my highest score.

PAT (24): Just Bootcamp. I wish I could tell you I followed some trick or pattern but I didn't. I didn't dread doing this section; on the contrary, I kind of enjoyed it. Advice: instead of looking for the right answer during keyhole, TFE, and pattern folding, find the mistake in each answer choice in order and narrow it down. If it takes too long, just pick one and move on.

RC (18 :/): LOLOLOL... sigh... I don't think I'm worthy of giving advice here. Slow reader and under prepared for this section. 17 avg on BC. You can definitely do much better! My friend liked Crack DAT RC section for practice and he slapped a 30 on RC so... good luck friends.

QR (20): DAT Destroyer -> BC -> Math Destroyer. Was scoring low (17s) on my first 3 BC tests before I decided to cram Math Destroyer 4 Days before my exam. Started hitting 19's afterwards. Since I was pressed for time I only did the first 4 tests properly. Afterwards, I just read the question -> mentally solved it -> understood answer. Did the additional QR subject tests (4-10) on BC and consistently got 19. If you approach this section properly, you can definitely get 20+.

BC Average of 5 tests:
(BIO / GC / OC / RC / PAT / QR / TS / AA)
( 21 / 22 / 23 / 17 / 22 / 18 / 22 / 20)
Looks similar to my actual score right?

Real test:
Sciences: Bio was broad and weird. A few questions on GC were tough. Orgo took like 15 mins but I was quite challenged in this section as well (had mechanism and naming reaction type questions). Had 10 mins left to review with a whole lot of marked questions and couldn't get to all of them.

PAT: Some questions were easy and time savers while most were similar to BC. Bunch of rocks which I spend too much time on. Angle ranking was way too hard for me and I know they are the ones I got wrong. Made 3x3's for hole punch, and table for cube counting (got 6 cubes -_-).

Break: Ok, I personally think this break is important. I always used to check my science scores during my practice BC tests during my break which I obviously couldn't do on the real one. I thought I bombed the sciences because it was actually tough and I stress ate my granola bars, banana, and cookies. I didn't go into my RC section with a clear and positive mindset which definitely impacted my score. Advice: chill out, eat, and rest your eyes/mind during the break.

RC: Slow Reader + Stressed + negative mindset going into the section = not the score you are capable of earning. The questions and passages were more straight forward than Bootcamp but it doesn't help if you are planning a retake date as you are taking the exam! After getting my scores, I saw a weakness in RC so with my BC subscription still active, I am trying to improve. I guess learning never stops. :) I would appreciate any advice/suggestions/experience with people getting acceptance dental school with a not so good RC score, I've heard many schools place a greater emphasis RC score. I'm going to apply regardless but my RC score lets my enthusiasm down sometimes.

QR: got a bunch or quantitative comparison questions and was pressured for time. Felt like the real was harder than what I was exposed to. Got a point above my practice test so I'm happy.

Overall: I thought the real was harder than the practice but I think the DAT works on percentiles so if you are finding the questions challenging then there is a chance many other are on the same boat. I didn't get time to do the 2007/2009 tests because I procrastinated and prioritized on studying my weak areas instead. I don't remember sleeping much during the 2 weeks leading to my exam (don't do that) but I am a big procrastinator and reach new heights of going sleepless with this monster. I didn't sleep for 2 days before my exam (the 2nd last day was due to cramming QR subject tests 5-10 on BC). The night before the DAT, I went to bed at 9 PM but couldn't sleep the whole night... body was overheating, got up to do intensive workout (calves and arms were sore for a week lol) at 3 AM, and drank 2 spoonful of NyQuil but my stress conquered all that. So my eyes were rested but my mind wasn't... however, things turned out okay. Advice: just chill out knowing that you've studied hard and get some good sleep the day before.

Special thanks to Chad, Ari, Orgoman, and Feralis for your invaluable resources. Also to my study buddy @drsoni for explaining anything that didn't make sense.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Congrats! Great scores! were the chem and orgo sections more math and conceptual? Was qr much more difficult compared to the ones on bootcamp?

Firstly, thanks to all the people on SDN that have posted DAT breakdowns... definitely helped me throughout my journey. Finished the exam on 25/05/17 but finally decided to share my DAT experience with fellow pre-dentals. Anyways, my scores:

Background: Neuroscience major, finished Junior year, cGPA: 3.86, sGPA: 3.81. Many upper level bio classes taken.

I only used the most popular resources: Chad's sparkly head of knowledge, DAT Bootcamp (+ Genius), Cliff's AP Bio (x1), DAT Destroyer (x2), Math Destroyer (x1 ish), Feralis' Bio notes(x1), and Bio section from Kaplan book. Study time: about 2 month (started studying during spring semester and had 3 solid weeks after finals to study before my exam).

Bio (21): Got my base with Cliffs AP Bio and Destroyer (x1). Did the first 3 DAT Bootcamp tests and didn't like my score in bio so I blazed through Feralis notes (first time) ASAP 6 days before my exam and started getting 21 consistently. Yes, you are in control control of your score.

Gen Chem (22): Chad + Destroyer during my semester and then Destroyer again after my finals ended. DAT Bootcamp. I actually like GC so reviewing this was kind of easy and fun; didn't spend too much time on it. Took notes while watching Chad.

OC (25): Chad + Destroyer (x2) followed by DAT Bootcamp. Chad's reaction sheet came clutch here. Got run over in with a B in orgo 2 so I was nervous for this section when I started studying. I guess its good to be nervous (cautiously)... my highest score.

PAT (24): Just Bootcamp. I wish I could tell you I followed some trick or pattern but I didn't. I didn't dread doing this section; on the contrary, I kind of enjoyed it. Advice: instead of looking for the right answer during keyhole, TFE, and pattern folding, find the mistake in each answer choice in order and narrow it down. If it takes too long, just pick one and move on.

RC (18 :/): LOLOLOL... sigh... I don't think I'm worthy of giving advice here. Slow reader and under prepared for this section. 17 avg on BC. You can definitely do much better! My friend liked Crack DAT RC section for practice and he slapped a 30 on RC so... good luck friends.

QR (20): DAT Destroyer -> BC -> Math Destroyer. Was scoring low (17s) on my first 3 BC tests before I decided to cram Math Destroyer 4 Days before my exam. Started hitting 19's afterwards. Since I was pressed for time I only did the first 4 tests properly. Afterwards, I just read the question -> mentally solved it -> understood answer. Did the additional QR subject tests (4-10) on BC and consistently got 19. If you approach this section properly, you can definitely get 20+.

BC Average of 5 tests:

Real test:
Sciences: Bio was broad and weird. A few questions on GC were tough. Orgo took like 15 mins but I was quite challenged in this section as well (had mechanism and naming reaction type questions). Had 10 mins left to review with a whole lot of marked questions and couldn't get to all of them.

PAT: Some questions were easy and time savers while most were similar to BC. Bunch of rocks which I spend too much time on. Angle ranking was way too hard for me and I know they are the ones I got wrong. Made 3x3's for hole punch, and table for cube counting (got 6 cubes -_-).

Break: Ok, I personally think this break is important. I always used to check my science scores during my practice BC tests during my break which I obviously couldn't do on the real one. I thought I bombed the sciences because it was actually tough and I stress ate my granola bars, banana, and cookies. I didn't go into my RC section with a clear and positive mindset which definitely impacted my score. Advice: chill out, eat, and rest your eyes/mind during the break.

RC: Slow Reader + Stressed + negative mindset going into the section = not the score you are capable of earning. The questions and passages were more straight forward than Bootcamp but it doesn't help if you are planning a retake date as you are taking the exam! After getting my scores, I saw a weakness in RC so with my BC subscription still active, I am trying to improve. I guess learning never stops. :) I would appreciate any advice/suggestions/experience with people getting acceptance dental school with a not so good RC score, I've heard many schools place a greater emphasis RC score. I'm going to apply regardless but my RC score lets my enthusiasm down sometimes.

QR: got a bunch or quantitative comparison questions and was pressured for time. Felt like the real was harder than what I was exposed to. Got a point above my practice test so I'm happy.

Overall: I thought the real was harder than the practice but I think the DAT works on percentiles so if you are finding the questions challenging then there is a chance many other are on the same boat. I didn't get time to do the 2007/2009 tests because I procrastinated and prioritized on studying my weak areas instead. I don't remember sleeping much during the 2 weeks leading to my exam (don't do that) but I am a big procrastinator and reach new heights of going sleepless with this monster. I didn't sleep for 2 days before my exam (the 2nd last day was due to cramming QR subject tests 5-10 on BC). The night before the DAT, I went to bed at 9 PM but couldn't sleep the whole night... body was overheating, got up to do intensive workout (calves and arms were sore for a week lol) at 3 AM, and drank 2 spoonful of NyQuil but my stress conquered all that. So my eyes were rested but my mind wasn't... however, things turned out okay. Advice: just chill out knowing that you've studied hard and get some good sleep the day before.

Special thanks to Chad, Ari, Orgoman, and Feralis for your invaluable resources. Also to my study buddy @drsoni for explaining anything that didn't make sense.
Congrats! Always happy to help!

Sent from my SM-G935T using SDN mobile

Bio (21): Got my base with Cliffs AP Bio and Destroyer (x1). Did the first 3 DAT Bootcamp tests and didn't like my score in bio so I blazed through Feralis notes (first time) ASAP 6 days before my exam and started getting 21 consistently. Yes, you are in control control of your score.

OC (25): Chad + Destroyer (x2) followed by DAT Bootcamp. Chad's reaction sheet came clutch here. Got run over in with a B in orgo 2 so I was nervous for this section when I started studying. I guess its good to be nervous (cautiously)... my highest score.

BC Average of 5 tests:

Real test:

would you say the biology section was straightforward and based on recollection or association questions? how would you say the difficulty was relative to feralis notes/destroyer/cliffs?

Members don't see this ad :)

BC Average of 5 tests:

Real test:

Congratulations! Enjoy your summer, the DAT exam is definitely in your rearview mirror. Thanks for the detailed breakdown and sharing with the SDN community.

Nancy

Congrats! Great scores! were the chem and orgo sections more math and conceptual? Was qr much more difficult compared to the ones on bootcamp?

Yup, there were more conceptual questions than calculations ones for GC. The QR on real was more difficult than BC's QR because the questions were generally more wordy so you had to extract the essential information to answer the question. Also, there were a bunch of quantitative comparison graph (bar/line) questions that sucked a lot of time. It was a mixture of easy/familiar questions and ones that I needed to skip immediately. Advice: Focus on the question at hand and be confident in what you prepared.

would you say the biology section was straightforward and based on recollection or association questions? how would you say the difficulty was relative to feralis notes/destroyer/cliffs?

I'd say half were recollection questions and half were association questions. Some questions weren't clear imo and an unnecessary part of the challenge. After recalling a fact, you usually had to do one extra step to come to the answer. Many questions were "gimme" type but few were challenging. I'd say the difficulty was similar to BC but easier than destroyer.

Last edited:
Congratulations! You made it to the other side, the DAT is now behind you :) Thanks for sharing your experience and going into some of the personal details, I think they're just as important to read sometimes to let others know they're not alone when they feel super stressed. Congrats again and thanks for the breakdown!