DAT breakdown 24AA, 21 PAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aajacobs2

Reaction score
I took my test a few days ago and was over the moon with the score I earned (and with being done studying for the DAT)! Huge thank you to everyone at DAT Bootcamp for creating such a supportive and all-encompassing program. It is everything you need to prepare for and crush the DAT! I thought I'd share what my studying process was like and a few tips for test day.
I began studying mid-September (as a junior) knowing I wanted to take the test mid-March to allow time for a retake if necessary in mid-June. Because I was studying on top of a full credit load (although on the lower side: 12-14 credits) and extracurricular involvement, I knew that three months wasn't realistic for me, so I purchased DAT Bootcamp Plus for the 6-month access and extra practice exams. I basically divided Ari's two-month schedule by 3 and followed that diligently. There were usually about three tasks in Ari's schedule a day so I usually did about one a day (ex. read a bio chapter and complete the corresponding question bank). Time-wise this took me about 2 hours a day 6 days a week for a total of 12 hours a week. I think having this schedule to follow is what helped me most to get a great score because it gave me daily goals and when all is said and done consistency is the most important factor in studying for such a large test.
If you feel you are able to, it would be more cost-effective to try to study for and take the test between your sophomore and junior year so you would only need to purchase 3-months of access. In this case I would follow Ari's schedule exactly which friends have told me took them 6-8 hours a day 6 days a week for two months.
One thing that I did not do in the study schedule was read any articles to prepare for the reading comprehension section as it felt unnecessary to me. I also did not practice the PAT generators every day (more like once a week for an hour at a time). While studying I did not write anything down as I found it took too long.
For the Bio section, as it suggests in Ari's schedule, I read each chapter twice and did all of the question banks. When I would read the chapter I would do so with the goal of memorizing it- so a 5-10 page chapter would take me about 2 hours (vs. 5-10 minutes if I had just read through it). For GC, OC, and PAT I watched all of the videos and went through the question banks. One thing I really took advantage of, mainly for each chemistry section, was the option to directly message someone on BC with questions. I was always very impressed by how I received a response in no less than two days (usually sooner). For the QR section I just went through the question banks. All I did to prepare for the RC section was take the practice tests.
I found it difficult to find time to take full length tests with school so when I got to that point in Ari's schedule I took a partial a day and reviewed it by reading through the explanation of every question whether I got it correct or incorrect. This allowed me to take a full length test a week, which fit fairly well with my 2 hrs a day 6 days a week time-schedule. Over winter break I was able to take full length tests in one sitting which I recommend doing at least two or three times. Overall I took the equivalent of 10 full length tests, four of which I did in one sitting. My biggest tip is to take every test in bootcamp available to you. These will prepare you most for the actual exam experience! Time was the hardest part for me in most sections, especially so with the PAT section. Another great way to practice time-management for the PAT is to turn on the timer when going through the generators. I highly recommend having the DAT Bootcamp app on your phone so you can access the study material anywhere.
On each full length practice test I earned a 21 AA and 19-21 PAT. On the actual exam I earned a 24 AA and 21 PAT. I found that during the actual exam each section (aside from the PAT) felt a little bit easier. The PAT seemed equally difficult compared to the BC exams. Luckily I only had a couple rock keyholes, but they did show up so do try your best to prepare for them! For section breakdowns I found that my Bio score was about 2 points higher than my average on BC, my GC, OC, and PAT scores were the same, my RC score was about 3 points higher than my average on BC, and my QR ended up being about 9 points higher than my average on BC.
In preparation for my test I tried to get up around the time my test began starting a week before the exam (8am). As is common with nerves, I slept quite poorly the night before so I would suggest some caffeine the morning of your test. Eating a high-protein breakfast and bringing a couple granola bars for your break will help you stay alert and focused during the exam. If the testing center allows it, I also recommend going outside for a few minutes during your break to get some fresh air and clear your head!
Finally I wanted to share the mantra I repeated to myself as my exam date approached: "I am smart. I am ready. I have prepared. I have studied. I have endurance. I will do well. I will get a (goal score)." It's cheesy but I'm convinced it helped. Just remember that you've got this, it will be over sooner than you think, and everyone at DAT Bootcamp is rooting for you!

Members don't see this ad.