DAT Breakdown! (24AA/23TS/24PAT)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hashtagpredental

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took the DAT this morning and thought I would make a breakdown because I would like to give back to this amazing community. So here it goes.

First and foremost, a HUGE thanks to this site for providing me with so much, whether it be tips to studying, tricks, resources, or even motivation to study for this exam. Also a big shoutout to @Ari Rezaei for extending my BC subscription after I had to reschedule my exam for a later date (thanks Ari, you're awesome!). I was planning on taking the exam in June, but I knew I wouldn't be ready with just 4 weeks of preparation. I pushed it back so that I would have myself 8 weeks to study (5 full weeks + the last 3 weeks while working full time).

Scores:

PAT: 24
QR: 23
RC: 27
Bio: 22
GC: 26
OC: 22
TS: 23
AA: 24

Resources used (aka the "typical combo"): BootCamp, Chad's GC/OC vids, Feralis' Notes (@FeralisExtremum thank you so much!), Cliff's AP 3rd edition, DAT Destroyer (@orgoman22 major props!), Math Destroyer.

PAT, 24: I'm comparing each section with BootCamp because it's all I used to practice.
-Angle ranking was as hard as BC generator (perhaps harder), but I do think that part of it was my lack of confidence during the exam. During practice exams, I would fly by these questions and go with my gut, as one should say, and I would do pretty decent (averaging 13/15). However, during the actual exam I was really struggling to make quick decisions on the angles, and I kept looking at the angles which made it much harder to differentiate!
-TFE was straightforward, similar in difficulty to BC; in my opinion, I think TFE is the best opportunity to get better. Trust me, after practice, you WILL get better. I was scoring 5/15 in the beginning, but after a few days of practice, I scored 14-15/15 on subsequent practice exams. Practice, practice, practice and eventually it will get perfect. :)
-Keyholes was just weird. I don't know how to feel about this one. I thought it was as difficult as BC, but in different ways. Keyholes on the actual DAT seems to focus more on shape than proportion.
-Cube counting was easier than BC. Pretty simple.
-Holepunch was similar to BC. I used the tic-tac-toe method, it works everytime. This is also the best opportunity to get those free points. Practice and you WILL do better on this.
-Pattern folding was similar to BC. This is also the best opportunity to become better. Practice as much as you can with the BC generator and you will be able to solve any type of question. It's just a matter of whether your brain can mentally fold and visualize the final product with precision and speed.

QR, 23: Slightly harder than BC but easier than Destroyer. I thought I did so poorly on this section, I can't believe I pulled this through! To study for this, I used Math Destroyer and BC. There were several Quantitative Reasoning questions (bar graph, A&B statements) I was only able to complete 10 Destroyer exams, but I would suggest going through all of them, because the key to this section is speed (you will get faster with Destroyer!). I had 5 minutes left at the end and still had about 8 questions to go, so I did my best to finish all of them. Had I managed my time more properly, I'm positive I would have gotten a better score. Can't complain much with a 23, though!

RC, 27: So much easier than BC (which I'm sure everyone knows by now ;)). Although not to brag, I did score a 25 on one of the practice BC exams, so I expected to do pretty solid on this section. I'm a pretty slow reader, though, and English was not my first language. I used Search & Destroy: read question first, then read passage; when you get an answer, you move on to the next question and continue reading until you find the answer again and so forth.Most of the questions were really straightforward, I was actually surprised by how easy some of them were! Most of them were also in order, so I didn't have to go back that much.

Bio, 22: Similar in difficulty to BC. I was pretty content with this score, I didn't study as much as I could have for this. I started by reading Cliff's and taking my own notes and looking at Feralis' notes for additional info, while also answering about 30-40 Destroyer questions daily for the first 4 weeks and also taking additional notes. Following that, I started taking BC subject practice exams (#6-10) and took more notes from it. I reviewed my notes in the last few days of study. As usual, breadth over depth.

GC, 26: Similar to BC in difficulty.
For the last few days, I went through Chad's FREE GC questions. This is such an amazing resource, I strongly believe I did well on this section because of these questions! Here is the link to the website (it also offers OC and QR questions free of charge).

OC, 22: Similar to BC and Destroyer in difficulty. Mehhh, I thought I would do better, considering I went through Destroyer OC questions a second time. Still happy to be over 21. There were a lot of questions on basicity/acidity, which was one of my main weaknesses.

Practice exam scores:

BC: (1-10)
-Bio 23/25/24/23/22/20/20/20/20/24
-GC --/22/30/23/20/21/20/19/19/20
-OC --/29/24/22/22/20/21/21/22/21
-PAT 23/24/22/23/20/20/--/20/21/--
-QR --/--/30/19/21/19/19/22/21/20
2009 Test (2 days before exam):
22/25/23/23/23/22 (Bio/GC/OC/TS/PAT/QR), skipped RC.

Final words: If others can do it, you can do it! This is what I always tell myself whenever I face an obstacle or a challenge. DAT was definitely a big challenge for me, but hard work does pay off at the end.

Good luck to those who will be destroying the DAT in the future! :hello:

DAT score.jpg

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 14 users
Great work! Very helpful of you to post the relative difficulties between the practice material and your real DAT. You should get a fresh banana, though.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I took the DAT this morning and thought I would make a breakdown because 1) I would like to give back to this amazing community, and 2) one of my selfish goals was to make my own breakdown. So here it goes.

First and foremost, a HUGE thanks to this site for providing me with so much, whether it be tips to studying, tricks, resources, or even motivation to study for this exam. Also a big shoutout to @Ari Rezaei for extending my BC subscription after I had to reschedule my exam for a later date (thanks Ari, you're awesome!). I was planning on taking the exam in June, but I knew I wouldn't be ready with just 4 weeks of preparation. I pushed it back so that I would have myself 8 weeks to study (5 full weeks + the last 3 weeks while working full time).

Scores:

Resources used (aka the "typical combo"): BootCamp, Chad's GC/OC vids, Feralis' Notes (@FeralisExtremum thank you so much!), Cliff's AP 3rd edition, DAT Destroyer (@orgoman22 major props!), Math Destroyer.

PAT, 24: Honestly, I thought I blew this section. I was about to cry when I saw my unexpectedly high score. I'm comparing each section with BootCamp because it's all I used to practice.
-Angle ranking was as hard as BC generator (perhaps harder), but I do think that part of it was my lack of confidence during the exam. During practice exams, I would fly by these questions and go with my gut, as one should say, and I would do pretty decent (averaging 13/15). However, during the actual exam I was really struggling to make quick decisions on the angles, and I kept looking at the angles which made it much harder to differentiate!
-TFE was straightforward, similar in difficulty to BC; in my opinion, I think TFE is the best opportunity to get better. Trust me, after practice, you WILL get better. I was scoring 5/15 in the beginning, but after a few days of practice, I scored 14-15/15 on subsequent practice exams. Practice, practice, practice and eventually it will get perfect. :)
-Keyholes was just weird. I don't know how to feel about this one. I thought it was as difficult as BC, but in different ways. Keyholes on the actual DAT seems to focus more on shape than proportion.
-Holepunch was similar to BC. I used the tic-tac-toe method, it works everytime. This is also the best opportunity to get those free points. Practice and you WILL do better on this.
-Pattern folding was similar to BC. This is also the best opportunity to become better. Practice as much as you can with the BC generator and you will be able to solve any type of question. It's just a matter of whether your brain can mentally fold and visualize the final product with precision and speed.

QR, 23: Slightly harder than BC but easier than Destroyer. I thought I did so poorly on this section, I can't believe I pulled this through! To study for this, I used Math Destroyer and BC. There were several Quantitative Reasoning questions (bar graph, A&B statements) I was only able to complete 10 Destroyer exams, but I would suggest going through all of them, because the key to this section is speed (you will get faster with Destroyer!). I had 5 minutes left at the end and still had about 8 questions to go, so I did my best to finish all of them. Had I managed my time more properly, I'm positive I would have gotten a better score. Can't complain much with a 23, though!

RC, 27: So much easier than BC (which I'm sure everyone knows by now ;)). Although not to brag, I did score a 25 on one of the practice BC exams, so I expected to do pretty solid on this section. I'm a pretty slow reader, though, and English was not my first language. I used Search & Destroy: read question first, then read passage; when you get an answer, you move on to the next question and continue reading until you find the answer again and so forth.Most of the questions were really straightforward, I was actually surprised by how easy some of them were! Most of them were also in order, so I didn't have to go back that much.

Bio, 22: Similar in difficulty to BC. I was pretty content with this score, I didn't study as much as I could have for this. I started by reading Cliff's and taking my own notes and looking at Feralis' notes for additional info, while also answering about 30-40 Destroyer questions daily for the first 4 weeks and also taking additional notes. Following that, I started taking BC subject practice exams (#6-10) and took more notes from it. I reviewed my notes in the last few days of study. As usual, breadth over depth.

For the last few days, I went through Chad's FREE GC questions. This is such an amazing resource, I strongly believe I did well on this section because of these questions! Here is the link to the website (it also offers OC and QR questions free of charge).

OC, 22: Similar to BC and Destroyer in difficulty. Mehhh, I thought I would do better, considering I went through Destroyer OC questions a second time. Still happy to be over 21 (in real life as well, turn up). There were a lot of questions on basicity/acidity, which was one of my main weaknesses.

Practice exam scores:

Final words: If others can do it, you can do it! This is what I always tell myself whenever I face an obstacle or a challenge. I honestly was aiming for a 21, but whatever you do don't ever give up and everything will come in your favor! DAT was definitely a big challenge for me, but hard work does pay off at the end.

View attachment 221206

fantastic scores!!! let me know if you have any questions about applying

Reactions: 1 user
I took the DAT this morning and thought I would make a breakdown because 1) I would like to give back to this amazing community, and 2) one of my selfish goals was to make my own breakdown. So here it goes.

Scores:

PAT, 24: Honestly, I thought I blew this section. I was about to cry when I saw my unexpectedly high score. I'm comparing each section with BootCamp because it's all I used to practice.

OC, 22: Similar to BC and Destroyer in difficulty. Mehhh, I thought I would do better, considering I went through Destroyer OC questions a second time. Still happy to be over 21 (in real life as well, turn up). There were a lot of questions on basicity/acidity, which was one of my main weaknesses.

Practice exam scores:

Final words: If others can do it, you can do it! This is what I always tell myself whenever I face an obstacle or a challenge. I honestly was aiming for a 21, but whatever you do don't ever give up and everything will come in your favor! DAT was definitely a big challenge for me, but hard work does pay off at the end.

View attachment 221206

:clap::clap:Congratulations!

I really enjoyed reading your breakdown. Your hard work and determination paid off. Thanks for the shout out and giving back to the SDN community.

Dr. Romano and Nancy

Congrats on your scores!! Thank you for the breakdown :)
Post a study schedule please...? :)

Sorry for the delay! Here is the schedule I tried to follow if you still would like to see it. I managed to complete most of the stuff, but I was often 1-2 days behind my actual schedule. But this made me feel like I wasn't trying hard enough, which prompted me to keep going with my study without stopping. Not gonna lie, it was a long journey but still manageable. I started working full time the last 3 weeks, so I cut down my study during those weeks (still tried to study at least ~4 hours every night). Hope this helps!

Attachments

• DAT Schedule Updated.xlsx
    56.4 KB · Views: 105
Sorry for the delay! Here is the schedule I tried to follow if you still would like to see it. I managed to complete most of the stuff, but I was often 1-2 days behind my actual schedule. But this made me feel like I wasn't trying hard enough, which prompted me to keep going with my study without stopping. Not gonna lie, it was a long journey but still manageable. I started working full time the last 3 weeks, so I cut down my study during those weeks (still tried to study at least ~4 hours every night). Hope this helps!
Thank you!! I would like this post a billion times lol. I love the part where it says go to the gym pls hahaha. Congrats again. I'm sure you'll get many interviews :)

Hey congrats! Can I ask how representative the 2007/2009 exam was for the biology section on the real DAT?

Hey congrats! Can I ask how representative the 2007/2009 exam was for the biology section on the real DAT?

In terms of difficulty, the bio section of my real DAT was very similar to the 2009 exam (I didn't do 2007).

But then again, for bio I think it's really a luck of the draw because my actual exam surprisingly had several questions on bone structure (bone marrow, Harvesian system, cartilage, etc.) which I was lucky enough to study.

How long did you spend on learning the materials? Or do you learn them as you go through practice tests?

I started using Destroyer as soon as I started studying (used it as a major source of info), while also reading Cliff's, watching Chad's videos, and taking my own notes for the first 3-4 weeks. I decided to include a few practice subject tests as well just to get a feel. Then, practice exams took over the latter half of my schedule and I took additional notes from them. Once you take several exams, you start to see similar topics so by then it's a matter of recalling information and strengthening your memory on those topics. I'd suggest learning the material for a few weeks first and THEN start practicing with exams, all the while continuing to review your notes.