DAT Breakdown: 24AA, 25TS, 20PAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DentTreadOnMe

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been a long time lurker on SDN. Today I took the DAT and scored pretty well so I decided to create an account and post my breakdown. I firmly believe that the Good Lord blessed me with a strengthened mind through this whole process and I want to help anyone else who's willing to work get good DAT scores too. Trust me, if I can get good scores, anyone can. Hopefully this will help someone:

Scores:
PAT 20
QR 25
RC 20
BIO 24
GC 23
OC 30
TS 25
AA 24

*First note, everyone on SDN seems to say that DAT Bootcamp is a "must" but I did not use DAT Bootcamp (at least the paid version, I did do the free tests they provide in each section once, except the reading). Don't get me wrong, from the sample I got of DBC I'm sure Ari's program is fantastic and that anyone can learn great things from it, but don't get psyched out and think you're going to score low if you don't fork over the $350 for it. IT CAN BE DONE!!!

With that, I prepared for 10 weeks, 3-8 hours per day, in the following ways:

Biology:

Cliff's
Dr. Romano's Dynamite Bio Review
The Internet
Crash Course Anatomy and Physiology (youtube)
Other Youtube Videos on a per subject basis
Destroyer
Qvault Bio

My weakest section going in. Everyone knows the value of Cliff's, but Dr. Romano's bio notes are pretty new on the scene from what I understand... Don't underestimate these notes though, they are phenomenal. I attribute my score to the destroyer and the bio review notes. I'm a business major not biology so I didn't know much beyond the pre-req bio courses for dental school. Dr. Romano's notes helped me learn a TON though. I read through his notes 3x total. Read Cliffs 2x. Romano notes are FREE BTW.

People are always saying how the destroyer Bio is overkill but it's not; it will arm you with an in depth knowledge that you'll need when the tough questions roll around on the DAT that separate the 20s from the 30s. You need to use the destroyer as a learning tool. Make sure you know not only why the correct answer is right but also why the other 4 answers are wrong. You should know the definitions and concepts of every term in every answer, not just the right answers. What helped me is explaining topics to my wife (she didn't care, lol, but it helped me be able to talk through complex concepts). I made flashcards of every question I would get wrong on my second time through the destroyer.

DAT Qvault is also very good. I enjoyed being able to get all those tests for just $50. There are also extra questions in addition to the tests. The vault helped me fill in gaps between Cliffs and Dr. Romano's Notes.

Gen Chem

Chads Videos (from Chadsvideos website) only $10 for a month!!!
Destroyer
Defeat the DAT (Chads website)

As everyone on SDN will say, this is great stuff. You'll learn a lot watching Chad and it's entertaining. It will help you fill in any gaps you missed in classes, and it's pretty comprehensive (for what you need on the DAT anyway). Skipping the quizzes and coming back to them later is a good idea, because it shows you how much you actually remember and retained. Try watching the videos and then coming back later to do the quizzes (maybe 2 days later or something). I did this 2x.

I did the destroyer twice through on this section too. The first time I got like 50% right, the second time was closer to 85%. The destroyer is much harder than the actual GC section but it helps you get the procedures for calculations down pretty well. You need to be able to manipulate variables, not just solve for answers, because the DAT mostly gives you the answer choices in the unsolved format. Practice the destroyer by setting up your answer in unsolved format first, then use your calculator (the former step won't be needed on the DAT, but will help you prepare for questions like them). Mostly you'll get conceptual questions though on the real DAT. Chad really shines in this department.

OChem

Chads Videos
Destroyer
Defeat the DAT
Personal Class Notes
Bootcamp free OChem reaction sheet (google it)

I had two FANTASTIC OChem professors in my college classes. They were awesome. I felt very comfortable with Ochem going in. Chads helped me review some reactions that were not taught to me in my classes though. The quizzes here are very similar to the actual DAT.

Knowing concepts and how to apply them, along with the many reactions, is basically what you need for this section. Again, the destroyer is very in depth (too much so sometimes) and I didn't even finish it as I was studying. I mainly went over Chad's quizzes which were awesome.

Bootcamp does this awesome summary sheet of all the reactions you'll need for the DAT for free... just google it. I reviewed that the last week of my exam and several showed up. :)

QR

Defeat the DAT
Qvault QR
Some problems in the DAT Destroyer (I didn't buy math destroyer)
Internet (trig laws, formulas, etc)
Dr. Blois Videos (Orgoman Youtube Channel)

It has been a while since I've done hard core math classes (there's a bit in my business core in econ, business stats, finance, accounting, etc, but not a ton). I like solving problems though, and the DAT QR is set up for you to solve problems more than anything, not do a ton of math, if that makes sense...

What you really need to focus on is learning how to translate the words in the problem into algebraic expressions (for example, the age problems, like Dan is 6 years older than Kate; in three years... etc.) You should get good at translating that language into an algebraic expression (the nickels dimes and quarters questions are always popular). If you can do this, and learn some little tricks from Dr. Blois, you can do it all. Just go to Orgoman's youtube channel and watch the math playlist.

I didn't do Chads math videos for this, but if you can find them perhaps they would be helpful as well.

People online said the Qvault QR was slightly easier than the real thing but I think it was right at the same level, at least my DAT. I was scoring 23 on my Qvault tests in this section expecting to get 21 on the real thing. Qvault QR (again $50) will help you practice your timing for this section which is probably the biggest factor. The math isn't that hard, but it's the timing.

RC

2007 DAT RC
Dr. Romano's Facebook Destroyer Study Group Articles

I honestly didn't do a lot to study for this. I am a very, very slow reader and this test wasn't my strong suit. Fortunately the questions were very straightforward.

PAT

Free DAT Genius Generators
As much free online practice as I could find

Again, since I didn't buy bootcamp, I knew this was going to be a tricky section. I looked for all the free practice I could find (if you can't tell I'm a Mr. Krabs when it comes to money lol). I know there are other books, but yeah, I'm cheap.

The generators helped me get comfortable with the 3 sections they provide: Hole, Angle and Cube... I would do drills every day timing myself, 15 of each question back to back. I ended up using this strategy on my real DAT as well. I got pretty good at these three using the line of symmetry method for the holes. At one point I only took 15 minutes to do the 45 questions and would only miss a couple. Not sure how I did on the real thing though, probably worse from the looks of the score.

The other three sections were real pains, but I tried to learn how to do them the best I could with limited resources. If you really struggle with this perceptual stuff, and you got money, I'm sure bootcamp is great.

Practice Tests

One Free Bootcamp Test in every section
Free DAT Genius full length test
2007 DAT
2006 OAT

I had heard that the OAT is written by the ADA so I decided to do it as well and it was very similar to the real test in terms of chemistries and math; Bio was easier on the sample than on the real test. I'd recommend doing it. Don't focus too much on your practice scores, but use them to work on timing. Dr. Romano says don't waste your time with timed tests but I disagree. You should do timed tests to get you in the proper frame and mind and set up that internal clock.

The Real DAT

Went to bed at 10:00, couldn't sleep until 12:30 due to nerves, woke up at 6:00
Ate a good breakfast, no sugars though.
Arrived and test center and got checked in and immediately ushered in to start the test (30 minutes earlier than scheduled).

Start drawing your hole punch tables and cube counting tables during tutorial (I was allowed to, just do it if they don't say anything).

Biology was HARD. At least I felt like it was hard. People always say that it's "breadth over depth" but I think I got a lot of depth. I also felt like the questions that popped up were heavy on stuff I didn't study in depth like ecology. Probably 20-25 gimmes and the rest were pretty thought provoking. I marked like 12 questions for review. I thought for sure I was done for. I was able to figure out several more on my second pass and narrow down the rest to two answer choices. Be ready for some oddball questions but don't panic on them. Just do your best to think them through and apply concepts you have learned. This is a tough section.

GC and OC were pretty much like the one bootcamp test I took and also like the 2007 DAT and 2006 OAT. Remember that question answers are given in unsolved form so you'll need to practice with that. Get used to doing some calculations in your head (like simple grams to mole conversions, etc) No crazy reactions for me, but that doesn't mean you won't get some.

PAT was about like I expected. *One thing though: it is an undeniable fact that the PAT is harder than it was on the 2007 sample DAT. It has gotten much more challenging especially on the TFE, Keyholes and Patterns. Generators did a good job of preparation for the three sections, they were slightly harder than the real test. Several Rock Keyholes (ouch). I had gotten a 21 on the bootcamp PAT I took but only 20 on the real thing. My order of attack was Angles, Holes, Cubes, Patterns, Keyholes, TFE. I'm sure Keyholes and TFE are what did me in and kept me at 20.

During the 30 minute break, I went out, walked around, went to the bathroom, ate some Cheez-its and peanuts, got water, popped in a new piece of gum (highly recommend), and went back in.

RC seemed very easy. As I was going through, I though I was going to score above 20. Maybe that was my problem, it seemed too easy lol. I used the highlighter feature which was nice. It helps to highlight key words on what that paragraph is about. I read the passage once quickly (highlighting) and then basically searched and destroyed for the answers to the questions.

QR appeared very easy at first, but then some hard questions started popping up, a couple I had never seen before (but then again I didn't do in-depth math prep). One Trig problem (yes it's still there as of July 2018). Comparison questions were very easy, don't worry about them too much. I did my best to manipulate the numbers of the ones I didn't know and see if they matched any answer choices. Some did some didn't. I ended up guessing on like 4 with about 1 minute left.

Last thoughts:

Don't underestimate the BIO Destroyer or Dr. Romano's notes... they're gold.
Study hard but also take breaks. Watch some movies or go on a walk, etc. I even caught the Incredibles 2 last weekend!
Don't panic when something foreign pops up because it probably will. Just apply concepts as best you can.
Do more PAT practice than I did because it's tough.
YOU CAN SUCCEED WITHOUT DAT BOOTCAMP! Don't let breakdowns freak you out on here. Don't buy into the idea that only those with Bootcamp can succeed. Not true. Don't let not having lots of money discourage you!

Thanks. Like I said, I hope this helps someone out.

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• IMG_0720.jpg
    IMG_0720.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 190
Reactions: 8 users
you're saying the DAT gc/oc was similar to that of 2007 dat? that test was piss easy. Got a 25/28 of GC/OC respectively... if the real dat is anything like that....

you're saying the DAT gc/oc was similar to that of 2007 dat? that test was piss easy. Got a 25/28 of GC/OC respectively... if the real dat is anything like that....

I'd say they were pretty similar in terms of the types of questions, not really the difficulty. I did about the same on those sections as I did on the real exam but over-confidence can kill you on the DAT. I would still study hard because it really just depends on the subset of GC/OC questions on your specific exam.

Yeah those two tests (2007 DAT and 2006 OAT Gen Chems were probably a little easier, but not much. In terms of Ochem I did very similarly on the 2007 DAT (30/30 questions right) so you should def be good on the real test.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why didn't you take the 2009 Test
I didn't have access to it. I know about the $100 practice module that they do now but I did the biology one of that and it was mostly questions from the 2006 OAT and 2007 DAT with some new ones thrown in... so I didn't bother with any other part.

I have been a long time lurker on SDN. Today I took the DAT and scored pretty well so I decided to create an account and post my breakdown. I firmly believe that the Good Lord blessed me with a strengthened mind through this whole process and I want to help anyone else who's willing to work get good DAT scores too. Trust me, if I can get good scores, anyone can. Hopefully this will help someone:

Scores:
PAT 20
QR 25
RC 20
BIO 24
GC 23
OC 30
TS 25
AA 24

*First note, everyone on SDN seems to say that DAT Bootcamp is a "must" but I did not use DAT Bootcamp (at least the paid version, I did do the free tests they provide in each section once, except the reading). Don't get me wrong, from the sample I got of DBC I'm sure Ari's program is fantastic and that anyone can learn great things from it, but don't get psyched out and think you're going to score low if you don't fork over the $350 for it. IT CAN BE DONE!!!

With that, I prepared for 10 weeks, 3-8 hours per day, in the following ways:

Biology:

Cliff's
Dr. Romano's Dynamite Bio Review
The Internet
Crash Course Anatomy and Physiology (youtube)
Other Youtube Videos on a per subject basis
Destroyer
Qvault Bio

My weakest section going in. Everyone knows the value of Cliff's, but Dr. Romano's bio notes are pretty new on the scene from what I understand... Don't underestimate these notes though, they are phenomenal. I attribute my score to the destroyer and the bio review notes. I'm a business major not biology so I didn't know much beyond the pre-req bio courses for dental school. Dr. Romano's notes helped me learn a TON though. I read through his notes 3x total. Read Cliffs 2x. Romano notes are FREE BTW.

People are always saying how the destroyer Bio is overkill but it's not; it will arm you with an in depth knowledge that you'll need when the tough questions roll around on the DAT that separate the 20s from the 30s. You need to use the destroyer as a learning tool. Make sure you know not only why the correct answer is right but also why the other 4 answers are wrong. You should know the definitions and concepts of every term in every answer, not just the right answers. What helped me is explaining topics to my wife (she didn't care, lol, but it helped me be able to talk through complex concepts). I made flashcards of every question I would get wrong on my second time through the destroyer.

DAT Qvault is also very good. I enjoyed being able to get all those tests for just $50. There are also extra questions in addition to the tests. The vault helped me fill in gaps between Cliffs and Dr. Romano's Notes.

Gen Chem

Chads Videos (from Chadsvideos website) only $10 for a month!!!
Destroyer
Defeat the DAT (Chads website)

As everyone on SDN will say, this is great stuff. You'll learn a lot watching Chad and it's entertaining. It will help you fill in any gaps you missed in classes, and it's pretty comprehensive (for what you need on the DAT anyway). Skipping the quizzes and coming back to them later is a good idea, because it shows you how much you actually remember and retained. Try watching the videos and then coming back later to do the quizzes (maybe 2 days later or something). I did this 2x.

I did the destroyer twice through on this section too. The first time I got like 50% right, the second time was closer to 85%. The destroyer is much harder than the actual GC section but it helps you get the procedures for calculations down pretty well. You need to be able to manipulate variables, not just solve for answers, because the DAT mostly gives you the answer choices in the unsolved format. Practice the destroyer by setting up your answer in unsolved format first, then use your calculator (the former step won't be needed on the DAT, but will help you prepare for questions like them). Mostly you'll get conceptual questions though on the real DAT. Chad really shines in this department.

OChem

Chads Videos
Destroyer
Defeat the DAT
Personal Class Notes
Bootcamp free OChem reaction sheet (google it)

I had two FANTASTIC OChem professors in my college classes. They were awesome. I felt very comfortable with Ochem going in. Chads helped me review some reactions that were not taught to me in my classes though. The quizzes here are very similar to the actual DAT.

Knowing concepts and how to apply them, along with the many reactions, is basically what you need for this section. Again, the destroyer is very in depth (too much so sometimes) and I didn't even finish it as I was studying. I mainly went over Chad's quizzes which were awesome.

Bootcamp does this awesome summary sheet of all the reactions you'll need for the DAT for free... just google it. I reviewed that the last week of my exam and several showed up. :)

QR

Defeat the DAT
Qvault QR
Some problems in the DAT Destroyer (I didn't buy math destroyer)
Internet (trig laws, formulas, etc)
Dr. Blois Videos (Orgoman Youtube Channel)

It has been a while since I've done hard core math classes (there's a bit in my business core in econ, business stats, finance, accounting, etc, but not a ton). I like solving problems though, and the DAT QR is set up for you to solve problems more than anything, not do a ton of math, if that makes sense...

What you really need to focus on is learning how to translate the words in the problem into algebraic expressions (for example, the age problems, like Dan is 6 years older than Kate; in three years... etc.) You should get good at translating that language into an algebraic expression (the nickels dimes and quarters questions are always popular). If you can do this, and learn some little tricks from Dr. Blois, you can do it all. Just go to Orgoman's youtube channel and watch the math playlist.

I didn't do Chads math videos for this, but if you can find them perhaps they would be helpful as well.

People online said the Qvault QR was slightly easier than the real thing but I think it was right at the same level, at least my DAT. I was scoring 23 on my Qvault tests in this section expecting to get 21 on the real thing. Qvault QR (again $50) will help you practice your timing for this section which is probably the biggest factor. The math isn't that hard, but it's the timing.

RC

2007 DAT RC
Dr. Romano's Facebook Destroyer Study Group Articles

I honestly didn't do a lot to study for this. I am a very, very slow reader and this test wasn't my strong suit. Fortunately the questions were very straightforward.

PAT

Free DAT Genius Generators
As much free online practice as I could find

Again, since I didn't buy bootcamp, I knew this was going to be a tricky section. I looked for all the free practice I could find (if you can't tell I'm a Mr. Krabs when it comes to money lol). I know there are other books, but yeah, I'm cheap.

The generators helped me get comfortable with the 3 sections they provide: Hole, Angle and Cube... I would do drills every day timing myself, 15 of each question back to back. I ended up using this strategy on my real DAT as well. I got pretty good at these three using the line of symmetry method for the holes. At one point I only took 15 minutes to do the 45 questions and would only miss a couple. Not sure how I did on the real thing though, probably worse from the looks of the score.

The other three sections were real pains, but I tried to learn how to do them the best I could with limited resources. If you really struggle with this perceptual stuff, and you got money, I'm sure bootcamp is great.

Practice Tests

One Free Bootcamp Test in every section
Free DAT Genius full length test
2007 DAT
2006 OAT

I had heard that the OAT is written by the ADA so I decided to do it as well and it was very similar to the real test in terms of chemistries and math; Bio was easier on the sample than on the real test. I'd recommend doing it. Don't focus too much on your practice scores, but use them to work on timing. Dr. Romano says don't waste your time with timed tests but I disagree. You should do timed tests to get you in the proper frame and mind and set up that internal clock.

The Real DAT

Went to bed at 10:00, couldn't sleep until 12:30 due to nerves, woke up at 6:00
Ate a good breakfast, no sugars though.
Arrived and test center and got checked in and immediately ushered in to start the test (30 minutes earlier than scheduled).

Start drawing your hole punch tables and cube counting tables during tutorial (I was allowed to, just do it if they don't say anything).

Biology was HARD. At least I felt like it was hard. People always say that it's "breadth over depth" but I think I got a lot of depth. I also felt like the questions that popped up were heavy on stuff I didn't study in depth like ecology. Probably 20-25 gimmes and the rest were pretty thought provoking. I marked like 12 questions for review. I thought for sure I was done for. I was able to figure out several more on my second pass and narrow down the rest to two answer choices. Be ready for some oddball questions but don't panic on them. Just do your best to think them through and apply concepts you have learned. This is a tough section.

GC and OC were pretty much like the one bootcamp test I took and also like the 2007 DAT and 2006 OAT. Remember that question answers are given in unsolved form so you'll need to practice with that. Get used to doing some calculations in your head (like simple grams to mole conversions, etc) No crazy reactions for me, but that doesn't mean you won't get some.

PAT was about like I expected. *One thing though: it is an undeniable fact that the PAT is harder than it was on the 2007 sample DAT. It has gotten much more challenging especially on the TFE, Keyholes and Patterns. Generators did a good job of preparation for the three sections, they were slightly harder than the real test. Several Rock Keyholes (ouch). I had gotten a 21 on the bootcamp PAT I took but only 20 on the real thing. My order of attack was Angles, Holes, Cubes, Patterns, Keyholes, TFE. I'm sure Keyholes and TFE are what did me in and kept me at 20.

During the 30 minute break, I went out, walked around, went to the bathroom, ate some Cheez-its and peanuts, got water, popped in a new piece of gum (highly recommend), and went back in.

RC seemed very easy. As I was going through, I though I was going to score above 20. Maybe that was my problem, it seemed too easy lol. I used the highlighter feature which was nice. It helps to highlight key words on what that paragraph is about. I read the passage once quickly (highlighting) and then basically searched and destroyed for the answers to the questions.

QR appeared very easy at first, but then some hard questions started popping up, a couple I had never seen before (but then again I didn't do in-depth math prep). One Trig problem (yes it's still there as of July 2018). Comparison questions were very easy, don't worry about them too much. I did my best to manipulate the numbers of the ones I didn't know and see if they matched any answer choices. Some did some didn't. I ended up guessing on like 4 with about 1 minute left.

Last thoughts:

Don't underestimate the BIO Destroyer or Dr. Romano's notes... they're gold.
Study hard but also take breaks. Watch some movies or go on a walk, etc. I even caught the Incredibles 2 last weekend!
Don't panic when something foreign pops up because it probably will. Just apply concepts as best you can.
Do more PAT practice than I did because it's tough.
YOU CAN SUCCEED WITHOUT DAT BOOTCAMP! Don't let breakdowns freak you out on here. Don't buy into the idea that only those with Bootcamp can succeed. Not true. Don't let not having lots of money discourage you!

Thanks. Like I said, I hope this helps someone out.

Hey there, I'm using romano's biology notes as well for the bio section. How exactly did you utilize Romano's notes? Did you use just read it 3x or make flashcards as well?

Also, I'm glad all your hard work paid off. Congratulations! Hope to get a similar score!

Reactions: 1 user
Congrats on your scores! For Bio do you feel like Dr. Romanos Notes were sufficient on the depth they went through on Photosynthesis?

Hey there, I'm using romano's biology notes as well for the bio section. How exactly did you utilize Romano's notes? Did you use just read it 3x or make flashcards as well?

Also, I'm glad all your hard work paid off. Congratulations! Hope to get a similar score!
So I essentially just read the notes and made sure I could recite back/explain concepts as I went. For example, I would read a paragraph or bullet point or something and then try to turn it into a question. Let’s say it says: “Centrioles are found in animal but not plant cells.” I stop and say to myself: “Which structure involved in mitosis is not found in plant cells...” etc.

I only made flash cards of questions I missed on the bio destroyer my second round through.

Hope that helps.

Congrats on your scores! For Bio do you feel like Dr. Romanos Notes were sufficient on the depth they went through on Photosynthesis?
I didn’t get a photosynthesis question on the test to my recollection. However, between cliffs and the dynamite review, I’d reckon that would be sufficient. Cliffs is great for the big picture and Dr. Romano’s notes are good for filling in little details/fine tuning your knowledge. I’m sure Feralis and some other notes could do that too, but Romano’s worked pretty well for me.

So I essentially just read the notes and made sure I could recite back/explain concepts as I went. For example, I would read a paragraph or bullet point or something and then try to turn it into a question. Let’s say it says: “Centrioles are found in animal but not plant cells.” I stop and say to myself: “Which structure involved in mitosis is not found in plant cells...” etc.

I only made flash cards of questions I missed on the bio destroyer my second round through.

Hope that helps.

Right on man -- I'll try that method out as well. How long did it take you to finish all of the biology reviewing?

Right on man -- I'll try that method out as well. How long did it take you to finish all of the biology reviewing?
Lol I reviewed Bio up until I got out of the car to go into Prometric. Just kept going over facts and concepts. Looked at phyla characteristics right before the test. Even still, they’ll throw some oddballs at you that make you think and apply concepts, not just recall type. These are the test maker’s “differentiator” questions, men from boys type questions. Just relax when they spring up and try to think about concepts in that particular category.

For me the BIO is like a box of chocolates... you never know what you’re gunna get. It’s a tough section.

How was RC? I meant were the passage long around 20 something small paragraphs? I'm so scared of RC and QR lol.
I had some of BOTH of what you just described. My strategy was spend 5 minutes reading through quickly and highlighting key words and phrases that will help you identify what that paragraph is about, then I basically did the search and destroy method which is much easier once you’ve highlighted important points.

The questions were mostly straightforward and could be found in like one specific sentence in a paragraph... but a few questions required inference or info from several paragraphs. Again, the highlighting will help tremendously.

Hey man nice post and congrats on the scores, was wondering if you minded me asking what were the resources you used for the PAT sections like pattern folding? I have bootcamp but tbh it's not really cutting it with me

Hey man nice post and congrats on the scores, was wondering if you minded me asking what were the resources you used for the PAT sections like pattern folding? I have bootcamp but tbh it's not really cutting it with me
Honestly I’d use the Bootcamp generators if I were you because I hear they’re great and I didn’t score super well on the PAT. 20s ok but I mean you could probably score really well if you put some time in on bootcamp. I used free DAT genius generators for Hole, Cubes and Angles.

Also, go on YouTube and look up “PAT Hole punch line of symmetry”. That method is how I did my hole punches. It’s very helpful.

Pattern folding I didn’t really have much practice with, only what I could find free online with google searches. My strategy for that section specifically is this:

Start by looking at the big pieces of the answers. Sometimes you’ll notice that a large piece on the answer choice isn’t actually in the pattern, so you can eliminate that one. If it’s more complex than that, I like to focus on only one piece at a time and fold the others around that piece. It is tough but the ones on the DAT seemed doable.

keep practicing until things click..