DAT breakdown 24AA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

purple0770

Reaction score
Scores:

Bio - 25
GC - 22
OC - 20
PAT - 21
RC - 27
QR - 27
TS - 22
AA - 24

Materials:
DAT Booster
Chad’s YouTube videos
Quizlet

Schedule:
DAT Booster’s 10 week schedule. I followed this pretty closely until the last few weeks where I decided to focus more on my weaknesses. I studied about 6 hours a day with the occasional rest/light review day biweekly. I also completely took off the day before my test to recharge.

Biology (25):

I started with a 17 in this section and eventually got around 20-22 in practice. During the learning phase, I read the Feralis notes and watched all the videos. The new videos on booster are excellent and super high yield but they were just coming out by the time my test came around. While I also tried memorizing all the cheatsheets, I found that I retained the most information from the practice tests. This is because I did not only commit the correct answer to memory but worked on learning all the concepts that were incorrect too. I made quizlets of all questions I got incorrect and studied these every other day. I highly recommend the crash courses. I attended crash courses 1, 2, and 4 — they proved to be 100% worth it. The questions are extremely representative of what you can see on the exam, but be sure to take good notes and review them.

Gen Chem (22):

I started out with a 13 in this section because I couldn’t remember anything from freshman year but worked my way up to a 20 on the practice tests. This section is all about practice, so take all practice tests and review them well. You’ll definitely start to notice patterns for what is high yield. While the math wasn’t as intense on the actual exam, you definitely have to know the formulas (Ex. Percent error vs percent yield). For the conceptual information, review notes you take during the learning phase and watch Chad’s videos for concepts you struggle with.

OC (20):

I could have done a little better in this section but my section scores were around 20 so my real score reflects this. I made physical flashcards for every reaction on the booster reaction sheets and reviewed these daily. I have never been strong in learning the mechanisms of reactions and was relying on my memory. There were multiple reactions on my test, so I could have benefitted from understanding mechanisms more when it was something that I was not familiar with. Definitely need to know high yield topics like acidity/basicity/SN/E.

PAT (21):

I was so scared of this section when I started because I have never been good at visualizing objects in 3D or anything. Identify your best sections. For me, that was cube counting, hole punching, and pattern folding. Nail your strengths down in practice. Use booster’s generators for angle, cube, and hole punching. Use the extra questions for everything else. I did around 10-15 questions of each section per day. Practice with only timed tests a couple weeks before your exam. It is absolutely possible to improve your weaknesses — by the end of practice I didn’t mind TFE because there were usually multiple ways to eliminate answers and I could get the correct answer without visualizing anything. I was scoring around 20-21 in practice.

RC (27):

I love reading so I think my background helped with speed in this section. I used a combined strategy where I would read the question, and then read until I found the answer. 95% of the questions were very straightforward. Booster was very representative. I was scoring around 22-26 in practice.

QR (27):

Really surprised with this score because I had a lot of questions marked on the test and my computer was lagging around 5 seconds between questions. I ranged from around 21-23 in practice. I watched all videos, completed all question banks, and reviewed all wrong answers on practice tests. I also used quizlet to memorize all formulas. My biggest advice is to mark the question and move on if you aren’t sure how to solve it because otherwise you are just wasting time.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-08-15 at 8.18.19 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-08-15 at 8.18.19 PM.png
    2 MB · Views: 39