DAT Breakdown (26 AA/28 PAT)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Two Ferns

Reaction score
Hello prospective dentists!

I recently took the DAT and wanted to share my score breakdown and what study materials I used to help me achieve these scores. Overall, I think I spent 12 weeks preparing, and 8 weeks I was also enrolled in university classes (you have to make a lot of sacrifices while tackling this beast of an exam). The main study tool I used was DATBooster, but I also supplemented with Anki decks that I found online, as well as creating my own decks while studying. Compared to other testing services, it’s much more affordable for a normal college student, which is the main reason I had picked it. I can’t speak to other services, but I think my scores can be heavily attributed to the course I picked.

Here’s my official score report as well:
1688343921516.png

Perceptual Ability (PAT): I scored a 28 on this section. DAT Booster's videos and practice questions were immensely helpful here. I learned various strategies for each question type and spent a significant amount of time practicing them. If you go into questions blind with just your intuition, you will not succeed here. Each section has individual strategies that can be implemented so you get questions right consistently. I started by going slow to grasp the overall strategies and then gradually increased my speed. Remember, speed is crucial in this section, so practice timing yourself. Additionally, I found it beneficial to skip certain questions (Keyhole and TFE) that were too time-consuming to ensure I utilized my time effectively- you should have just enough time after finishing everything to go over at least the keyholes and double check. Practice questions come after you adopt the best strategies for you and master them. It’s a good idea to find a study resource with some generators or big question banks to prepare you.

Quantitative Reasoning (QR): I scored a 26 on QR. I initially struggled with this section. The phrasing of questions seems simple at first glance compared to college level math, but as you work through them you start to realize their complexities. After exposure to enough question types I was able to cast a wide enough net to score high. I focused on specific question types that I struggled with first by reviewing my practice test results. By concentrating on one question type at a time and understanding the underlying concepts, I was able to improve my QR score significantly. Pacing is key in this section, but the practice questions I had used were slightly more challenging than the actual DAT, which prepared me well.

Reading Comprehension: I scored a 25 on this section. For RC, I experimented with different strategies. For me I found that prereading all the questions for one passage then reading the whole passage worked best for me. I tried a bunch of different strategies before settling on this one though, and even during the test I ended up using search and destroy for one passage because the questions were mostly recall based, so it’s good to be flexible and work outside your comfort zone as well. Practicing is the best way to improve, and knowing the common answer choices and how questions are constructed also helps. You should be able to find every answer somewhere in each passage.

Biology: I scored a 24 on Biology. Initially, learning content feels like swimming in the middle of the pelagic zone…, especially plant stuff because I’ve never encountered any of it prior to DAT studying. Instead of trying to master every single topic, I focused on mastering the content covered in the practice tests, which resemble the actual DAT questions. I spent ample time reviewing the biology practice tests and made sure to understand the specific information required to answer each question as well as the common question traps that are brought up with certain concepts. Also, Anki is your best friend here- active recall is the best way to digest all this information. If you have a good study schedule and keep up with it you should be able to cover most of the material so you’re not surprised by anything. There’s also a mnemonic for everything, and if there isn’t then make one!

General Chemistry: I scored a 30 on General Chemistry. JUST TO PREFACE: I am a chemistry tutor for other college students, so I have a good background in gen chem and orgo. Also, information sticks better when you’re paid to teach it… Regardless, I dedicated time to thoroughly understand and practice calculations since many questions involved calculations. I still have trouble with redox chemistry and electric cells, but I always go back to mnemonics. For conceptual questions, I used the practice tests to identify my weak areas and then reviewed study videos or videos from Chad to improve my understanding.

Organic Chemistry: I scored a 27 on Organic Chemistry. I had a strong foundation in organic chemistry, but it’s still orgo! Understanding reactions like SN1, SN2, E1, and E2, along with their underlying concepts, was crucial. If you understand mechanisms, the identity of reactants becomes less of an issue since it’s not a memory game anymore. I want to restate, it’s still orgo, and I doubt organic chemistry professors would score perfectly here since the questions are all designed to trick you.

Overall, I achieved a Total Science score of 27 and an Academic Average of 26. DATBooster played a significant role in my success. Remember, everyone's journey is unique, so avoid comparing yourself to others. Focus on your own progress, identify your weaknesses, dedicate time to improving and compete against yourself. You can do it!

Members don't see this ad.