DAT Breakdown (27 TS/26 AA)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentist ex machina

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all. I've pretty much been a ghost around here except for a couple posts in the Destroyer thread, but I wanted to post my DAT thoughts in case they can help any future takers in the same way the dozens of threads on here helped me.

I took the test yesterday and I'm pretty happy with how it went. Special thanks go out to @FeralisExtremum , @orgoman22 and @Ari Rezaei for producing the best prep material you can find. The sheer amount of test takers who start their breakdowns by saying that lets you know how valuable their content is, take advantage of it!

SCORES
Total Science: 27
Academic Average: 26
Biology: 25
Chemistry: 26
Organic Chemistry: 30
Reading: 23
Quantitative Reasoning: 24
PAT: 21

Background: I just finished my junior year as a biology major. Everyone who takes the DAT will tell you that you don't need to take upper level biology classes in order to do well, introductory level is sufficient. While I agree with this, I think I benefitted greatly by having taken advanced classes in biology before sitting for the test. This is by no means a necessity so don't feel pressured to go out of your way to do it, but if you're in a situation where you're debating taking a couple extra biology classes before the test I'd highly recommend going for it. I think Genetics and Anatomy/Physiology were the 2 most helpful classes in preparation. But like I said, non-Biology majors or people with only an intro-level background are more than equipped to do well on this section, it'll just take a little extra work leading into the exam. I also highly recommend taking the test immediately after finishing Orgo 2 so that material is still fresh with you. I intentionally took Orgo as a junior instead of as a sophomore in order to set this up and it worked out well.

Materials:
-DAT Bootcamp: I sort of used BC non-traditionally in that I really didn't use it for full length practice tests. I took the Chem/Orgo sections as practice tests, but for Biology I went through the questions by category as I finished reviewing a section (e.g; I would spend a week on Taxonomy and then do all the BC Taxonomy questions). I went back through and did the Bio tests as well, but my scores were artificially inflated by having seen the questions. BC lives up to the hype, and it's especially great for PAT generators.

-DATQVAULT: In the week leading up to the exam I took a bunch of DATQVAULT practice exams from the sciences and PAT. I think their sections are pretty representative of the real exam, and they pretty much nailed my scores. (AVG: Bio 25.1/Chem 26.1/Orgo 26.1/PAT 20). The only section I wouldn't rely on them for is Gen Chem as they repeatedly test on the same exact concepts instead of exposing you to a broad array of question types.

-DAT DESTROYER/MATH DESTROYER: I really loved the Biology and Orgo sections of the Destroyer. The questions were thought provoking and required you to not only know specific details, but to relate them across topics. It really pushes you to the point where you're ready for the test. Definitely don't roll your eyes thinking the Bio section is overly detailed/overkill. There were a couple ridiculously specific questions in there that I had never seen before that I thought couldn't possibly be tested on, and they were both almost verbatim on the exam. The Gen Chem section, however, is way more sophisticated than anything I encountered on the exam (or BC/QVAULT, for that matter). Math Destroyer made my QR seem like a piece of cake and it gave plenty of exposure to common question types (there are only so many ways you can ask a combined work problem so once you know how to do them you get free points!)

-FERALIS' NOTES: In addition to my own notes from past biology classes, Feralis/Taxonomy Cheat Sheet was my main source for biology studying. It's the perfect combination of being thorough and concise, and there isn't much you need to know that isn't in here. There's a little too much detail about plants and protest/fungi diversity (I skipped over it and wasn't punished for it) but other than that they're a necessity.

-KAPLAN BLUE BOOK/PRINCETON REVIEW BOOK/STERLING DAT BIO: I pretty much lumped these together to say that you shouldn't go overboard in finding materials to prepare with, as I hardly opened these and didn't find them too useful. Find a couple reliable sources that you're comfortable with and keep a sharp focus on them! There's no need to spend hundreds of dollars on excess books.

2009 DAT: TS/AA/BIO/CHEM/ORGO/RC/QR/PAT: 29/26/28/30/30/23/18(lol skip it)/23
This was the only full length practice test I took. I thought it was pretty representative except the QR was absurd, the PAT was too easy and biology now incorporates application-style questions instead of simply fact checking.

THE TEST:
BIO:
My bio section was probably slightly harder than any BC/QVAULT exam I took. There were a bunch of no-brainer questions but also 5-6 really challenging application questions. Memorizing Feralis will get you a 20-22, but scoring higher requires you to be able to connect concepts that don't seem like they're related at all. I knew this leading in, so I made a point out it to be able to understand the material on a deep level by making concept maps in my head (e.g: insufficient gastrin release from G-cells would lead to reduced secretion of HCl and intrinsic factor from parietal cells. Less intrinsic factor means less Vitamin B12 reabsorption, which will have an influence on hemoglobin and red blood cell production. The body breaks down heme into bilirubin, which is used by the liver as a component of bile. Bam, we related G-cells related to fat digestion). You won't have to apply things on that level, but training as if you do will help.

CHEM/ORGO: These sections were pretty straightforward, and the 2009 is almost identical to them since the ADA hasn't philosophically changed them like they did for Bio. Mastering BC and QVAULT means you're ready to go.

PAT: I had to pee so bad during this section lol. I honestly think it helped me a little bit with my pacing because it sped up my thought process in an effort to, y'know, not pee myself. I think the QVAULT keyholes were more accurate than BC, but other than that I literally felt like I was taking a BC PAT test. My advice is to steal as many points as you can on hole punching, cube counting and pattern folding, because you can get virtually flawless scores there whereas you never know what you'll encounter on the other 3 sections. I got 20's on 11 consecutive practice tests so it was nice to finally get over that hump on the actual test haha.

RC: It really helped me out that 2 of my articles were on areas that I've done some research in, so there were some factual questions that I didn't even use the article for. I think the articles (density/length) were on par with BC, but the questions were significantly easier. They were sequential, mostly fact-based and not focused on tone/holistic approach. Abuse the highlighter!

QR: My strategy for this section was all about finishing. If I couldn't find an approach to start solving the problem within 15 seconds, I marked and moved on. If I had an approach but it took over a minute to execute, I marked and moved on. After finishing, priority went to marked questions with an approach that was just taking too long. At the end, I had 5 marked question and I figured 2 out, guessed on 3. I can't emphasize this strategy enough, because the vast majority of the QR questions were extremely easy to figure out. There was no significant trig/geometry and the QC questions were common sense. The biggest mistake you can make is to spend 5 minutes each on those 5 difficult questions because you're passing up the opportunity to get points on the easier questions at the end of the test that are worth the same amount.

That's what I've got for now. Thanks again to everyone who helped out, and feel free to ask me any questions you have, I'd be glad to give back!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 11 users
Congrats man! Those are really impressive scores!
So based on your PAT Breakdown.....I'm going to assume you thought the keyholes were hell.

Reactions: 1 user
Congrats man! Those are really impressive scores!
So based on your PAT Breakdown.....I'm going to assume you thought the keyholes were hell.

Thanks dude!

Yea, keyholes weren't the best section and it sort of got me off to a bad mood to start the PAT. There were 3 questions where I was able to eliminate every single answer choice so I have no idea what happened there haha.

Congratulations!!!

You spent your valuable time gearing up to Destroy that DAT and Destroy it you did! Thank you for the shout out and clarifying the Destroyer is not overkill and you will receive overkill scores if you can master it.

The DAT is officially behind you and you can enjoy your summer. Hard works pay off every time.

Wishing you the best..

Dr. Jim Romano and Nancy

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Congratulations!!!

You spent your valuable time gearing up to Destroy that DAT and Destroy it you did! Thank you for the shout out and clarifying the Destroyer is not overkill and you will receive overkill scores if you can master it.

The DAT is officially behind you and you can enjoy your summer. Hard works pay off every time.

Wishing you the best..

Dr. Jim Romano and Nancy

Thanks guys!

Hey all. I've pretty much been a ghost around here except for a couple posts in the Destroyer thread, but I wanted to post my DAT thoughts in case they can help any future takers in the same way the dozens of threads on here helped me.

I took the test yesterday and I'm pretty happy with how it went. Special thanks go out to @FeralisExtremum , @orgoman22 and @Ari Rezaei for producing the best prep material you can find. The sheer amount of test takers who start their breakdowns by saying that lets you know how valuable their content is, take advantage of it!

SCORES
Total Science: 27
Academic Average: 26
Biology: 25
Chemistry: 26
Organic Chemistry: 30
Reading: 23
Quantitative Reasoning: 24
PAT: 21

Background: I just finished my junior year as a biology major. Everyone who takes the DAT will tell you that you don't need to take upper level biology classes in order to do well, introductory level is sufficient. While I agree with this, I think I benefitted greatly by having taken advanced classes in biology before sitting for the test. This is by no means a necessity so don't feel pressured to go out of your way to do it, but if you're in a situation where you're debating taking a couple extra biology classes before the test I'd highly recommend going for it. I think Genetics and Anatomy/Physiology were the 2 most helpful classes in preparation. But like I said, non-Biology majors or people with only an intro-level background are more than equipped to do well on this section, it'll just take a little extra work leading into the exam. I also highly recommend taking the test immediately after finishing Orgo 2 so that material is still fresh with you. I intentionally took Orgo as a junior instead of as a sophomore in order to set this up and it worked out well.

Materials:
-DAT Bootcamp: I sort of used BC non-traditionally in that I really didn't use it for full length practice tests. I took the Chem/Orgo sections as practice tests, but for Biology I went through the questions by category as I finished reviewing a section (e.g; I would spend a week on Taxonomy and then do all the BC Taxonomy questions). I went back through and did the Bio tests as well, but my scores were artificially inflated by having seen the questions. BC lives up to the hype, and it's especially great for PAT generators.

-DATQVAULT: In the week leading up to the exam I took a bunch of DATQVAULT practice exams from the sciences and PAT. I think their sections are pretty representative of the real exam, and they pretty much nailed my scores. (AVG: Bio 25.1/Chem 26.1/Orgo 26.1/PAT 20). The only section I wouldn't rely on them for is Gen Chem as they repeatedly test on the same exact concepts instead of exposing you to a broad array of question types.

-DAT DESTROYER/MATH DESTROYER: I really loved the Biology and Orgo sections of the Destroyer. The questions were thought provoking and required you to not only know specific details, but to relate them across topics. It really pushes you to the point where you're ready for the test. Definitely don't roll your eyes thinking the Bio section is overly detailed/overkill. There were a couple ridiculously specific questions in there that I had never seen before that I thought couldn't possibly be tested on, and they were both almost verbatim on the exam. The Gen Chem section, however, is way more sophisticated than anything I encountered on the exam (or BC/QVAULT, for that matter). Math Destroyer made my QR seem like a piece of cake and it gave plenty of exposure to common question types (there are only so many ways you can ask a combined work problem so once you know how to do them you get free points!)

-FERALIS' NOTES: In addition to my own notes from past biology classes, Feralis/Taxonomy Cheat Sheet was my main source for biology studying. It's the perfect combination of being thorough and concise, and there isn't much you need to know that isn't in here. There's a little too much detail about plants and protest/fungi diversity (I skipped over it and wasn't punished for it) but other than that they're a necessity.

-KAPLAN BLUE BOOK/PRINCETON REVIEW BOOK/STERLING DAT BIO: I pretty much lumped these together to say that you shouldn't go overboard in finding materials to prepare with, as I hardly opened these and didn't find them too useful. Find a couple reliable sources that you're comfortable with and keep a sharp focus on them! There's no need to spend hundreds of dollars on excess books.

2009 DAT: TS/AA/BIO/CHEM/ORGO/RC/QR/PAT: 29/26/28/30/30/23/18(lol skip it)/23
This was the only full length practice test I took. I thought it was pretty representative except the QR was absurd, the PAT was too easy and biology now incorporates application-style questions instead of simply fact checking.

THE TEST:
BIO:
My bio section was probably slightly harder than any BC/QVAULT exam I took. There were a bunch of no-brainer questions but also 5-6 really challenging application questions. Memorizing Feralis will get you a 20-22, but scoring higher requires you to be able to connect concepts that don't seem like they're related at all. I knew this leading in, so I made a point out it to be able to understand the material on a deep level by making concept maps in my head (e.g: insufficient gastrin release from G-cells would lead to reduced secretion of HCl and intrinsic factor from parietal cells. Less intrinsic factor means less Vitamin B12 reabsorption, which will have an influence on hemoglobin and red blood cell production. The body breaks down heme into bilirubin, which is used by the liver as a component of bile. Bam, we related G-cells related to fat digestion). You won't have to apply things on that level, but training as if you do will help.

CHEM/ORGO: These sections were pretty straightforward, and the 2009 is almost identical to them since the ADA hasn't philosophically changed them like they did for Bio. Mastering BC and QVAULT means you're ready to go.

PAT: I had to pee so bad during this section lol. I honestly think it helped me a little bit with my pacing because it sped up my thought process in an effort to, y'know, not pee myself. I think the QVAULT keyholes were more accurate than BC, but other than that I literally felt like I was taking a BC PAT test. My advice is to steal as many points as you can on hole punching, cube counting and pattern folding, because you can get virtually flawless scores there whereas you never know what you'll encounter on the other 3 sections. I got 20's on 11 consecutive practice tests so it was nice to finally get over that hump on the actual test haha.

RC: It really helped me out that 2 of my articles were on areas that I've done some research in, so there were some factual questions that I didn't even use the article for. I think the articles (density/length) were on par with BC, but the questions were significantly easier. They were sequential, mostly fact-based and not focused on tone/holistic approach. Abuse the highlighter!

QR: My strategy for this section was all about finishing. If I couldn't find an approach to start solving the problem within 15 seconds, I marked and moved on. If I had an approach but it took over a minute to execute, I marked and moved on. After finishing, priority went to marked questions with an approach that was just taking too long. At the end, I had 5 marked question and I figured 2 out, guessed on 3. I can't emphasize this strategy enough, because the vast majority of the QR questions were extremely easy to figure out. There was no significant trig/geometry and the QC questions were common sense. The biggest mistake you can make is to spend 5 minutes each on those 5 difficult questions because you're passing up the opportunity to get points on the easier questions at the end of the test that are worth the same amount.

That's what I've got for now. Thanks again to everyone who helped out, and feel free to ask me any questions you have, I'd be glad to give back!

yeezus those scores are so damn high unbelievable. major congrats to you my friend. let me know if you have any questions about applying

Congrats on your scores!!! And thank you for the breakdown! How was your study schedule like/how much prep? Or did you just jump straight into practice problems after school ended?

Thanks! My major is molecular biology, so while I had a strong background in genetics/cell bio etc, I was pretty weak on plants, behavior, evolution and taxonomy. I spent around 3-4 weeks solidifying those topics, going through subject specific questions on Bootcamp as I finished a section. Then I spent 2 weeks on Destroyer, and the last week I did QVAULT practice tests and the 2009 full length.

How do you recommend using the highlighter? What in particular did you look out to highlight?

How do you recommend using the highlighter? What in particular did you look out to highlight?

Whenever they gave the definition of a word I highlighted it, because those are commonly asked questions. I also highlighted superlatives (e.g. X is the most commonly prescribed drug for Y ailment). I also thought dates were significant enough to highlight because they ask a lot of chronological questions.

Reactions: 1 users
Awesome, awesome scores! Congratulations
Did you use DATqvault for Reading, and how was it compared to the real test, do they have highlighting feature?

Awesome, awesome scores! Congratulations
Did you use DATqvault for Reading, and how was it compared to the real test, do they have highlighting feature?

I didn't use QVAULT specifically because of the fact that they have no highlighter. Bootcamp lets you highlight; their articles are on point but the questions are harder than what I saw.

Members don't see this ad :)
Whenever they gave the definition of a word I highlighted it, because those are commonly asked questions. I also highlighted superlatives (e.g. X is the most commonly prescribed drug for Y ailment). I also thought dates were significant enough to highlight because they ask a lot of chronological questions.

I'll be sure to incorporate into my strategy when I take the DAT. Did you also take a search and destroy approach or did you have a different method?

I'll be sure to incorporate into my strategy when I take the DAT. Did you also take a search and destroy approach or did you have a different method?

I took the old fashioned way. I read the entire article and then answered all the questions associated with it. I just wasn't comfortable answering questions about an article that I didn't read.

mother1.jpg

Reactions: 4 users
how long did you study for? daily and over time

~6.5 weeks, Monday thru Friday from about 10 am to 4 pm. After that I would occasionally review Feralis' notes on my laptop while watching TV but I didn't do anything serious after 4. I know a lot of people go into full shutdown mode when they're studying but I thought it was important to maintain a social life, go out to play basketball, etc. I needed things to take my mind off studying.

How did your schedule look like? Did you follow BC schedule and condense it? What did you do?

I didn't use the BC schedule. I spent around 3 weeks studying parts of biology that I didn't have as much exposure to (taxonomy/plants) and then did a bunch of BC questions, then destroyer for 2 weeks and a week of QVAULT prescribe tests.

I didn't use the BC schedule. I spent around 3 weeks studying parts of biology that I didn't have as much exposure to (taxonomy/plants) and then did a bunch of BC questions, then destroyer for 2 weeks and a week of QVAULT prescribe tests.

I didn't say this first, but Congrats on the scores! Amazing, you will have no troubles getting some interviews. Best of luck!

Thank you for your response. Im just reviewing Mike's Videos (on Gen chem. will start orgo video soon), Cliffs, Feralis Notes, and then going to do all BC tests and Destroyer. I have 1 month left. Any other advice you can pass along about BC or Destroyer.

I didn't say this first, but Congrats on the scores! Amazing, you will have no troubles getting some interviews. Best of luck!

Thank you for your response. Im just reviewing Mike's Videos (on Gen chem. will start orgo video soon), Cliffs, Feralis Notes, and then going to do all BC tests and Destroyer. I have 1 month left. Any other advice you can pass along about BC or Destroyer.

Thanks! I think you've got your schedule all set. Just make sure that if you want to do subject specific tests on BC you use 6-10 and save 1-5 as full lengths (assuming that's something you're interested in).

Thanks! I think you've got your schedule all set. Just make sure that if you want to do subject specific tests on BC you use 6-10 and save 1-5 as full lengths (assuming that's something you're interested in).
Yeah, that's what im going to do. THe schedule says to do that too. Thanks for the advice.