DAT breakdown 5/26/17: 22 AA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DocDoon

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys

I took the DAT yesterday day:

Bio/GC/OC/RC/QR/PAT/TS/AA
21/26/20/19/25/20/21/22

Study materials: Destroyer + math destroyer, bootcamp, chad's videos, RusselDW and feralis notes

I started studying during winter break. During winter break I finished chad's gen chem and ochem videos. I studied throughout the semester as well. This I felt was a mistake. I was only taking 13 hours but my classes were biochem, physics 2, and integrated biology. My schedule was pretty hectic with those classes, DAT studying, and everything else I'm involved in. If you want to study through the semester I would recommend have a very light class schedule with easier classes. DAT studying definitely hurt my GPA this semester, which I regret but at least I got a good DAT score out of it. During the semester I would watch one or two of chad's OC videos, play the trainer game on BC, and read a scientific article. Once I upgraded BC, I replaced the training game with 15 questions of any of the PAT generator. After I finished with ochem videos I did 20 ochem and gen chem problems out of destroyer a day. Also, I was taking week or two breaks when it came to exam time. As soon as finals ended, I was doing 8-12 hour days. I went through destroyer again, doing about 2/3 of OC and GC and one time of bio. I also worked on math destroyer, bootcamp, and read through russeldw's bio notes

Bio: Sources: outlined 3/4 of cliffs, destroyer, RusselDW and feralis notes

This is the section I felt least prepared for. I felt like I knew nothing when going through it on the DAT. Luckily I was about able to narrow most questions I had problems with to two choices. Destroyer was great for this section. I went through it once and made flashcards over questions I missed. I ended up doing ~200 questions a few days before my exam. BC was great too; I really appreciated its explanations for each question and the mnemonics they provided. I also watched some youtube videos over concepts I had trouble with.

GC: Sources: Destroyer, chad's, bootcamp

This was my strongest section. The questions on the real DAT seemed really easy I'm not sure what I got wrong but I will take a 26 on this section. Destroyer and bootcamp were great.

OC: Sources: Destroyer, chad's, bootcamp

A little disappointed with my score here. I could have done better but a 20 is alright.

PAT: Sources: Bootcamp

PAT was a lot easier than BC I felt like. I got some really easy problems and then some insanely hard problem, especially in keyhole. I was getting consistent 17's on BC's PAT with a few 19's.

RC:

Probably my weakest section. I never broke 20 on BC and even got a 16 on one sections lol. On the real DAT. BC was much harder than the real thing I thought. My first passage was really easy and then the second and third were significantly harder. I ran out of time and had to guess on the last 4 questions.

QR: Sources: Math destroyer, chads
One of my better sections. The new quantitative comparison questions were weird. A couple of those is probably what I missed. Everything else was on par with math destroyer and BC. Chad's videos are just basics and didn't really help me much aside from a few videos. I ended up doing 11 math destroyer tests. I would have done them all if I had the time. This was a great resource. I was getting 19's on BC with one 23. This is mostly because the QC questions. The QC questions were a lot easier on the real thing. I only had one QC that I struggled with.

Overall tips:
Be positive and confident when studying. This is a difficult exam to study for and at times you will feel unprepared. Be confident in yourself and always have a positive mindset. Set a goal and use that as motivation. My goal was a 23, but I won't complain with a 22.

Limit distractions. I knew I easily get distracted by phone, youtube videos, and sometimes SDN lol. I would leave my phone at home when studying and use an app to block certain websites on my laptop.

Have a couple strong sections. As you can see from my scores, mine were QR and GC. The chems and QR are easy sections imo to be strong in. A few strong sections can really boost your score and get you over a 20 aa.

Don't worry too much about practice tests. Make sure you understand the material on them rather than focusing on the score. Go through each of them thoroughly and notice your weaknesses. Also the 2009 practice test is a little outdated imo. The science sections are close to the real thing. But the QR doesn't have any quantitative comparison, and had some weird mirror problems that I never saw before. The PAT section was insanely easy; I got a 23 on it and finished early which never happens for me. The reading section I thought was a little hard since but ended up being pretty close to the section I got on the real thing.

Thank you all for reading! I tried to keep this short because my breakdown is similar to all the other breakdowns on here already. Let me know if you have any questions!

Also shoutout to Dr. Romano, Ari, and Chad and their respective products.

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• IMG_3521.JPG
    IMG_3521.JPG
    145.6 KB · Views: 112
Reactions: 3 users
Great scores. THank you so much for sharing these tips. I agree with you, students should not hurt their gpa taking hard classes and studying for the dat at the same time.

Reactions: 1 user
Great scores. THank you so much for sharing these tips. I agree with you, students should not hurt their gpa taking hard classes and studying for the dat at the same time.
Great job. Can you share your B.C scores on full length tests?

Congratulations! I also took biochemistry, physics 2, and physiology 1 when I prepared/took my DAT.

Members don't see this ad :)
Great job. Can you share your B.C scores on full length tests?
I have attached my scores. First test was taken about 3 weeks out, second test was 2 weeks out, and the rest were the week of my exam. I was on zero sleep when I took the second one which is why those scores are so low. I also got a 21 on 2009 but some sections were a little weird as I said in my breakdown.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-05-27 at 11.03.40 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-05-27 at 11.03.40 AM.png
    43.1 KB · Views: 125
I have attached my scores. First test was taken about 3 weeks out, second test was 2 weeks out, and the rest were the week of my exam. I was on zero sleep when I took the second one which is why those scores are so low. I also got a 21 on 2009 but some sections were a little weird as I said in my breakdown.
Tnx

Congratulations on your scores! Hopefully I get the same! I take mine in exactly 2 weeks. I been through destroyer 2 times and done 3/4 of bootcamp exams.

How many times did you read Russeldw or feralis notes? Feralis is too hard to read for me, thus I'm reading Russeldw notes instead. Am I hurting myself not reading feralis? And how many times did you go over destroyer?

What was your method for RC? RC is one of my weakest sections.

Good Job! Mine is in 3 weeks and I am very worried especially for the RC section

How have you been preparing for the RC so far?

My RC scores has been fluctuating, as I am trying out different techniques. One of the BC rc exam I got a 23 from Search and destroy because that exam had more S&D questions, but the next BC rc exam i got a 17 because it had a lot of inference questions. My problem is comprehending what I'm reading...

Now I am doing a different technique; read 2 paragraphs and then try to answer as many questions that pertains to those two paragraphs and so on. I plan on doing an RC Test(bought Crackdat RC) everyday until my test date in exactly two weeks. You think I will be prepared?

How have you been preparing for the RC so far?
I have been reading scientific articles every day and have taken 8 exams from DAT bootcamp, and have been able to score 20 in two of them only. I keep getting 17 in the other ones. I tried different methods but they don't seem to work. The one I have been trying to do the most is read half of the passage and then start answering questions by going through all of them and then keep reading for the questions that I wasn't able to answer. The other methods I tried it seemed like I wasn't able to finish 17 questions in 20 min per passage, with this method I am able to go through all the questions, but in the same time I feel I don't have a good comprehension of the passage.

My RC scores has been fluctuating, as I am trying out different techniques. One of the BC rc exam I got a 23 from Search and destroy because that exam had more S&D questions, but the next BC rc exam i got a 17 because it had a lot of inference questions. My problem is comprehending what I'm reading...

Now I am doing a different technique; read 2 paragraphs and then try to answer as many questions that pertains to those two paragraphs and so on. I plan on doing an RC Test(bought Crackdat RC) everyday until my test date in exactly two weeks. You think I will be prepared?
Would you like to share your Crackdat RC account with me? I can pay you half of the price you purchased it. I am not in the best financial status for the moment and would be really helpful.
Thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
Would you like to share your Crackdat RC account with me? I can pay you half of the price you purchased it. I am not in the best financial status for the moment and would be really helpful.
Thank you!

I would but apparently once you download the software on your laptop, it can't be shared :(

Also if you could get your hands on crackDAT RC, I heard from few SDNers that it is good for inference questions if you have problems with comprehension like I do.

Also what resources besides BC are you using for other sections like sciences?

Congratulations on your scores! Hopefully I get the same! I take mine in exactly 2 weeks. I been through destroyer 2 times and done 3/4 of bootcamp exams.

How many times did you read Russeldw or feralis notes? Feralis is too hard to read for me, thus I'm reading Russeldw notes instead. Am I hurting myself not reading feralis? And how many times did you go over destroyer?

I would really consider reading Feralis' notes. Every person who has scored well on that section has read his notes, along with Cliffs.

I read through it thoroughly once. I made memorization tricks within it and highlighted key stuff. I then skimmed over it the week of my exam. I should have read it more I think but didn't due to time constraints

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I would but apparently once you download the software on your laptop, it can't be shared :(

Also if you could get your hands on crackDAT RC, I heard from few SDNers that it is good for inference questions if you have problems with comprehension like I do.

Also what resources besides BC are you using for other sections like sciences?
Oh, it's okay. I am using DAT destroyer and Math destroyer, for bio I used Cliff AP and ferralis notes, I also watched all of chad's videos. Right now I am working on destroyer as a review of what questions I got wrong the first time I did them, and DAT bootcamp is my main focus on doing all the exams and reviewing everything.

Would you recommend to do crat the DAT or Qvault for RC section? Both would be the best but I can only afford getting one of them.

congrats on the scores!!! btw your test date, AA, TS, and PAT are identical to mine! :D DAT twins?

Last edited: