1. It’s Test Prep Week! Visit the Test Prep Forums to learn about test prep products and services, ask questions in test-related AMA threads, take advantage of exclusive SDN member discounts, and enter to win free stuff!

DAT Breakdown 6/18/2014

Discussion in 'DAT Discussions' started by derbear, Jun 18, 2014.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. derbear

derbear 2+ Year Member

Apr 15, 2014
    True North
    What's up!
    So I just finished my DAT this morning and just thought I would share my breakdown. I owe a lot of my success to the wonderful people on SDN. Shout-out to my homies @ktran17 ,@BrazilianRider ,@stomatology,@sjv and @distressstudent (Yes, I just did a shout-out). You guys helped me out tremendously and gave me more support and confidence. Anywho, here are my scores:

Scores:

AA: 22
    TS: 22
    OC: 22
    GC: 26
    BIO: 21
    RC: 22
    QR: 20
    PAT: 21

Timeline:

I started studying in the earlier half of May and so I probably got in a good month of studying. I have a fairly low GPA and so I knew I needed to kill this DAT! For those of you who are also in my shoes (with a low GPA), don't let it consume you because you are just putting unnecessary pressure on yourself. I guesstimate that I studied on average 4-5 hours a day. These 4-5, however were SOLID study sessions with no messing around on youtube and what not. I personally cannot effectively study longer than 5 hours so I commend those of you who can. ONWARDS to the subjects and study materials.

Subjects and Materials Used:

BIO: Initially I read over Cliff's AP Biology and re-read over sections I was weak in. I made some cuecards but ended up only using them twice...I probably learned more from making them than actually using them haha. I learn better by practice (compared to reading) and so I used Bootcamp and all 10 QVAULT Biology tests for this. To be quite honest, the two resources were good in the sense that they helped me approach the questions in the right way, however, I feel that biology is too random and covers so much material that my knowledge improved only slightly. I did maybe ~100 questions from DAT Destroyer but didn't end up finishing it.

Bootcamp scores: 21/18/21/17/20 (re-take of the 4th test was a 27)
    QVault scores: 20/21/19/18/19/22/18/18/19/18

CHEM: I am going to put organic and general chemistry under the same section, as I studied the same for both of them. I first used Chad's videos which were an amazing resource, as he simplifies everything and makes it easy to remember. I then did his quizzes which, I have to admit, were not that helpful as they more tested your knowledge of small things in his videos. I then moved on to do DAT Destroyer and did about ~250 questions from each section. DAT Destroyer is really good for general chemistry, however, I found it only somewhat useful for organic chemistry (Chad's was sufficient for Ochem). After getting slaughtered by DAT Destroyer, I moved onto Bootcamp tests. Bootcamp tests were EXTREMELY useful for these two sections!! I highly recommend Bootcamp.

Bootcamp GCHEM scores: 18/19/24/19/19 (re-take of 1st test was a 27)
    Bootcamp OCHEM scores: 18/17/21/22/20 (re-take of 2nd test was a 26)

RC: Didn't study.

QR: I currently tutor grade 10 math, so I was already exposed to a lot of the material. I probably studied 3 days for this section and did 5 tests from Math Destroyer. I spent most of the time memorizing formulae and conversions.

PAT: Didn't really study that much either. I did 3 Bootcamp tests and was satisfied with my scores.

Bootcamp scores: 18/19/19

TEST DAY!

My test was at 8:30AM and I woke up at 6:00AM. I was pretty damn nervous and shuffled through some of my notes to find answers to questions I had while thinking in my bed the night before. Eventually I was like "**ck it, stop being such a worry-wart and just go in confident". Thus I left my notes at home and arrived at the test center at around 7:50AM. They let me take my exam right away and so I started at around 8:00AM. During the test, I used earplugs, however, my test center had huge noise cancelling headphone things (not sure what they are called).

First off was biology. Holy **** it was random. I honestly felt like I was getting obliterated the whole time and was praying for even a 17. I got a lot of lab questions and just really random application questions. I feel like biology majors (which I am not) would have a huge edge here...

Second was general chemistry and organic chemistry. Super easy. I was only unsure of one or two questions and I am guessing I got them wrong. General chemistry was MUCH easier than Bootcamp and Destroyer. Organic chemistry was pretty straight forward, minus a few strange questions that were worded weirdly. Again, Bootcamp and Destroyer were much harder. I finished the natural sciences with 20 minutes left.

For perceptual ability, my order of attack was angles -> cube counting -> pattern-folding -> keyhole and finally TFE. Pretty straight forward, no real surprises except angles were hard as hell to compare. ***MY FREAKIN' COMPUTER CRASHED NEAR THE END*** It took tech support about 5-10 minutes to get my computer running again, as I sat there like a nervous wreck. Despite this, I finished with about 5 minutes.

For reading comprehension, I am a little surprised by my mark. I thought I found almost every answer, however, there were a few tone type questions. My method was S&D for this section. I finished with about 10 minutes.

Lastly was quantitative reasoning. Most of the questions were really basic algebra or plug-into-the-calculator questions. I skipped the long word questions for last. Thanks @ktran17 for giving me huge advice on this section. The advice boils down to: skip hard questions, know your conversions and don't be afraid to use the calculator. Time is a huge limiting factor for people who don't know how to approach this section properly. I finished with about 5 minutes to spare.

Again, I would love to thank all of SDN for helping me out with this exam! It means a lot and I hope I see some of you in dental school (whenever I get in)!

Last edited: Jun 19, 2014
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. BrazilianRider

BrazilianRider 2+ Year Member

Oct 28, 2013
    Great job dude!

derbear likes this.
  4. tons_of_fart

tons_of_fart 2+ Year Member

Jun 11, 2014
    Awesome scores, thanks for the breakdown.

derbear likes this.
  5. harleen317

harleen317

Nov 1, 2013
    awesome scores and awesome breakdown! I'm taking mine tomorrow. And I'm definitely a nervous wreck :(:arghh:

6. derbear

derbear 2+ Year Member

Apr 15, 2014
    True North
    I was so nervous, as well. Being nervous is a good sign, it means you care about doing well on the exam. Once you start the actual exam, your nerves will calm...trust me. You will see that the questions are A LOT easier than your practice questions. I suggest bringing ear plugs so you can focus!

harleen317 likes this.
  7. disciple155

disciple155 2+ Year Member

Aug 9, 2012
    Great scores! Congrats!

derbear likes this.
  8. NorIdaho

NorIdaho 2+ Year Member

May 30, 2014
    Awesome scores! Enjoy your summer!

derbear likes this.
  9. disciple155

disciple155 2+ Year Member

Aug 9, 2012
    The best thing to do is relax and enjoy the rest of your day/night. Definitely easier said than done, but relaxing the day before does help a lot. I recently retook my DAT for the 3rd time and was stressed, but going out with friends the day before really helped. Good luck! Hope to see you post solid scores tomorrow!

harleen317 likes this.
  10. stomatology

stomatology

Jul 29, 2013
    Congratulations on amazing scores, derbear! Love your breakdown!

[​IMG]

Ari Rezaei and derbear like this.
  11. luv8724

luv8724 2+ Year Member

Apr 1, 2010
    what was your RC about?

12. sjv

sjv SDN Moderator 2+ Year Member

Jun 18, 2013
    CA
    Thx4shoutout

derbear likes this.
  13. matardug

matardug Banned Banned Account on Hold 2+ Year Member

Jan 23, 2013
    Congrats! Really good scores

Currently using Destroyer, kbb and crack dat pat!

derbear likes this.
  14. Mufasha

Mufasha 2+ Year Member

Jul 22, 2013
    Congratulations! I'd be so psyched if I got anything close to your scores!

derbear likes this.
  15. gatsby121

gatsby121 2+ Year Member

Jan 20, 2014
    Army
    NICE scores man! bet you feel great right now :soexcited:

derbear likes this.
  16. clutchfans

clutchfans 2+ Year Member

Feb 28, 2014
    H.A.M. Beast mode activated.

derbear likes this.
  17. Daneosaurus

Daneosaurus D2 5+ Year Member

Mar 13, 2012
    Good luck! You need to relax. I think that was what killed me and I only ended up with a 19AA. I walked out of Prometric and literally said out loud "It was f*^%ing flame cell!" Don't psyche yourself out.

harleen317 likes this.
  18. Daneosaurus

Daneosaurus D2 5+ Year Member

Mar 13, 2012
    Congrats, you rocked it!

derbear likes this.
  19. harleen317

harleen317

Nov 1, 2013
    Thank you guys!!! can't wait to see my scores tomorrow! :)

20. biomolecmed

biomolecmed 2+ Year Member

Apr 7, 2012
    Good job. Nice scores.

derbear likes this.
  21. derbear

derbear 2+ Year Member

Apr 15, 2014
    True North
    Done. :D

sjv likes this.
  22. Glimmer1991

Glimmer1991 5+ Year Member

May 5, 2012
    NC
    Love it!! Welcome to the breakdown list!

derbear likes this.
  23. justin7w2011

justin7w2011 2+ Year Member

May 15, 2013
    What conversions did you memorize for QR?

24. Glimmer1991

Glimmer1991 5+ Year Member

May 5, 2012
    NC
    Know all of the stuff Chad teaches, as well as all of the stuff at the front of the Math Destroyer.

If you don't have those materials... Get them!

25. derbear

derbear 2+ Year Member

Apr 15, 2014
    True North
    Yay! Thanks so much Glimmer :).

26. Ari Rezaei

Ari Rezaei Senior Member Lifetime Donor Gold Donor 5+ Year Member

Mar 14, 2012
    New York, NY
    Nice scores! I don't know why these computers keep crashing, you still did great even with that hiccup though. Congratulations!

Last edited: Jun 19, 2014
    derbear likes this.
  27. JonLee

JonLee JonLee 2+ Year Member

Jan 1, 2012
    Great job! Added you to the list.

derbear likes this.
  28. derbear

derbear 2+ Year Member

Apr 15, 2014
    True North
    Thanks Ari, Bootcamp was a huge life saver!

29. derbear

derbear 2+ Year Member

Apr 15, 2014
    True North
    Awesome, thanks :)

30. biomolecmed

biomolecmed 2+ Year Member

Apr 7, 2012
    What did you think about RC? I know you said you did not study. Were passages tough to read or regular text?

31. derbear

derbear 2+ Year Member

Apr 15, 2014
    True North
    I thought RC was not too bad! Most required you to find the answer in the text and sometimes had small tricks where you had to make inferences. The passages were easy reads, nothing too scientific. I actually read one of my passages purely for interest.

32. bpoore19

bpoore19 2+ Year Member

Feb 18, 2013
    Great job! Congratulations! :)

derbear likes this.
  33. predent43

predent43 2+ Year Member

Jun 15, 2014
    Congratulations! My DAT is in a few days and my bootcamp scores are really similar to yours. What would you recommend at this point? I'm reviewing mistakes but i'm so stressed about making the same mistakes on test day :(

derbear likes this.
  34. derbear

derbear 2+ Year Member

Apr 15, 2014
    True North
    For biology, go over sections that you noticed you were weak in on bootcamp. For gen chem and ochem, I would do more practice questions on certain questions you are having trouble with. Practice makes perfect.

predent43 likes this.
  35. JHekmati

JHekmati

Jun 24, 2014
    great job! very good scores

derbear likes this.