DAT Breakdown 6/29 | Destroyer+Bootcamp= Success

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

goldcrown17

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone! I just got back home from taking my DAT and am pretty happy with my scores! Since this forum has been so helpful in my preparation, I feel it is only right to give back and help those who are still preparing to crush their DAT. Let me know if you have any questions about what I did to prep, advice, section help, etc.

Scores:
PAT- 25
QR- 22
RC- 19
Bio- 22
GC- 22
OC- 23
TS- 22
AA- 22

Study Schedule:
I think the most important thing I did was study like it was a full time job. I studied about 6-8 hours each day for six weeks, looking at each subject everyday. I also studied almost exclusively at the public library to have a physical separation between work and play. On the weekends, I would take a practice test every Saturday (Kaplan, 2007, 2009, free DAT Genius, and Barrons) and review for a half a day each Sunday. When I was done for the day though, I was done! I hung out with friends, went to the movies, hiked, and everything else that college kids enjoy.

For weeks 1 and 2 I reviewed using Chads, a Kaplan review book, and Barrons. I also did DAT destroyer everyday as well for biology and googled things when I didn't know what it meant. I wrote down what I googled as a reference for later. For weeks 3 and 4 I started really working with the material using Destroyer, Math Destroyer, predds.net, and barrons. I just worked a crap ton of problems, not timed, and tried to really focus on my weak spots. During the last two weeks, weeks 5 and 6 I continued working on math destroyer, and began reworking all of the destroyer Ochem, gen chem, and bio. Also during these weeks, I got bootcamp and used the PAT section to study. I also took 5 practice tests during these two weeks on bootcamp.

Prep Material:
Destroyer (11/10)- I can't stress the importance of destroyer enough. It is hard and you will cry or want to cry at least once. Don't treat destroyer like a practice test though. Go through each problem and understand each detail of why it is correct. If you can do destroyer, you will crush the DAT- I promise. There are a few questions (and I mean like less than 10 out of a book with like 1000 problems) that I think are worded weirdly or are not great questions, but you will deal with it, learn, and move on.

Bootcamp (11/10)- I'm 99% sure that some of the questions on my DAT were right off of bootcamp... This is also a great resource as it gets you used to the computer software. The layout is great and the questions are right on par with what your real DAT will look like. It is a good indicator of where you stand and should be used going into the last few weeks. The PAT generators are great for PAT in general though and a good way to prepare for that section.

Chad's Videos (10/10)- Very good was to review and the quizzes make sure you're paying attention. The quizzes are much more detailed that what you need to know, but they cover everything. This is a must buy!

Kaplan Review Notes (3/10)- Basic. Basic. Basic. So many fluff words and so little information. Maybe it is a good review if you haven't taken a class like OChem or something. I just thought Kaplan was way to basic on what it expected you to know. Their strategies (like the key method for reading) also took way to long.

Barron's (8/10)- I think this book is really under appreciated. It's super cheap at like $25 and amazing for the PAT. Sure, it's not destroyer or bootcamp, but it is a good place to start for early-on practice tests and PAT stratagy. The pat section is like a workbook to allow you to try new skills before going to the full blown problems. Yay Baroon's! Be cautious though- there are some errors on the practice tests though.

Feralis' Notes (9/10)- Pretty darn good for a free biology resource! It has everything you need to know for the biology section although is can be daunting at first because it is so compact. It is sometimes hard to understand the organization, but all in all a good place to go for biology.

Class Notes (10/10)- I add this as a resource because I think they're often overlooked. Remember: you have learned all of this before and you shouldn't be reteaching yourself everything! Be confident and shoot for the stars!

DAT Genius (7/10)- Okay. So here is my grievance with DAT genius... It is like a photocopy of DAT bootcamp. It looks like they're trying to make money off of the idea of offering 5 practice tests and PAT resources. Meh. Their free practice test was good though, but I still liked bootcamp better and thought that the material of DAT Bootcamp was more representative of the real exam.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Wow, congrats!!

I had a question about bootcamp's PAT section. How did you practice for the pattern folding section? Its the section I'm having the hardest time with. So far I'm getting a 19 on bootcamp for PAT with me literally guessing through all the pattern folding questions. So if I can get them down, I think I will definitely be good to go!

Also, how is the difficulty of bootcamp pattern folding vs real dat in your experience?

Wow, congrats!!

I had a question about bootcamp's PAT section. How did you practice for the pattern folding section? Its the section I'm having the hardest time with. So far I'm getting a 19 on bootcamp for PAT with me literally guessing through all the pattern folding questions. So if I can get them down, I think I will definitely be good to go!

Also, how is the difficulty of bootcamp pattern folding vs real dat in your experience?
Hey! So for pattern folding, there are really two types of questions. Its either a what is the shape of the object, or where is the object shaded.

For what is the shape of the object, I look for a weird shapes and then try to find the weird shapes in the objects. If that doesn't work, then I look at what is connected already. Is a triangle connected to a square? are three triangles connected to make a pyramid? Hopefully by now you've narrowed it down. My other strategy that I never really used that much was to count the number of sides and compare it to the number of pieces.

For the shading, I try to find a reference point. Like is the black going to be up or down? Is the two in the dice next to the 6 and three? Will arrow point at the black line? Folding smaller sections in my head and then using process of elimination is a good strategy there.

Also, in general, I thought my real PAT was slightly easier than the Bootcamp tests. I was scoring anywhere from a 20-23 on bootcamp PAT in the two weeks leading up to my exam.

Reactions: 1 user
Good job! One user posted that Bootcamp was very different from the actual and didnt help as much but this breakdown makes me feel better. How did ur Bootcamp scores compare to the test?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey! So for pattern folding, there are really two types of questions. Its either a what is the shape of the object, or where is the object shaded.

For what is the shape of the object, I look for a weird shapes and then try to find the weird shapes in the objects. If that doesn't work, then I look at what is connected already. Is a triangle connected to a square? are three triangles connected to make a pyramid? Hopefully by now you've narrowed it down. My other strategy that I never really used that much was to count the number of sides and compare it to the number of pieces.

For the shading, I try to find a reference point. Like is the black going to be up or down? Is the two in the dice next to the 6 and three? Will arrow point at the black line? Folding smaller sections in my head and then using process of elimination is a good strategy there.

Also, in general, I thought my real PAT was slightly easier than the Bootcamp tests. I was scoring anywhere from a 20-23 on bootcamp PAT in the two weeks leading up to my exam.

Thanks!

Great scores!! Congrats! My exam is in two weeks so your post made me feel a lot better :) Any advice on top front end for PAT? How did bootcamp pat compare to your real pat?

Do you mind posting your ADA 2009 scores to see how they compared to your real dat?

Great scores! Congratulations!
I have a question, i'm going through Math Destroyer and i can't do most of the problems, however i'm good with Destroyer exam. Why is that? Which questions are more like on real dat? And how Gen Chem of Destroyer is similar to real dat? Thank you!

Hello everyone! I just got back home from taking my DAT and am pretty happy with my scores! Since this forum has been so helpful in my preparation, I feel it is only right to give back and help those who are still preparing to crush their DAT. Let me know if you have any questions about what I did to prep, advice, section help, etc.

Scores:
PAT- 25
QR- 22
RC- 19
Bio- 22
GC- 22
OC- 23
TS- 22
AA- 22

Study Schedule:
I think the most important thing I did was study like it was a full time job. I studied about 6-8 hours each day for six weeks, looking at each subject everyday. I also studied almost exclusively at the public library to have a physical separation between work and play. On the weekends, I would take a practice test every Saturday (Kaplan, 2007, 2009, free DAT Genius, and Barrons) and review for a half a day each Sunday. When I was done for the day though, I was done! I hung out with friends, went to the movies, hiked, and everything else that college kids enjoy.

For weeks 1 and 2 I reviewed using Chads, a Kaplan review book, and Barrons. I also did DAT destroyer everyday as well for biology and googled things when I didn't know what it meant. I wrote down what I googled as a reference for later. For weeks 3 and 4 I started really working with the material using Destroyer, Math Destroyer, predds.net, and barrons. I just worked a crap ton of problems, not timed, and tried to really focus on my weak spots. During the last two weeks, weeks 5 and 6 I continued working on math destroyer, and began reworking all of the destroyer Ochem, gen chem, and bio. Also during these weeks, I got bootcamp and used the PAT section to study. I also took 5 practice tests during these two weeks on bootcamp.

Prep Material:
Destroyer (11/10)- I can't stress the importance of destroyer enough. It is hard and you will cry or want to cry at least once. Don't treat destroyer like a practice test though. Go through each problem and understand each detail of why it is correct. If you can do destroyer, you will crush the DAT- I promise. There are a few questions (and I mean like less than 10 out of a book with like 1000 problems) that I think are worded weirdly or are not great questions, but you will deal with it, learn, and move on.

Bootcamp (11/10)- I'm 99% sure that some of the questions on my DAT were right off of bootcamp... This is also a great resource as it gets you used to the computer software. The layout is great and the questions are right on par with what your real DAT will look like. It is a good indicator of where you stand and should be used going into the last few weeks. The PAT generators are great for PAT in general though and a good way to prepare for that section.

Chad's Videos (10/10)- Very good was to review and the quizzes make sure you're paying attention. The quizzes are much more detailed that what you need to know, but they cover everything. This is a must buy!

Kaplan Review Notes (3/10)- Basic. Basic. Basic. So many fluff words and so little information. Maybe it is a good review if you haven't taken a class like OChem or something. I just thought Kaplan was way to basic on what it expected you to know. Their strategies (like the key method for reading) also took way to long.

Barron's (8/10)- I think this book is really under appreciated. It's super cheap at like $25 and amazing for the PAT. Sure, it's not destroyer or bootcamp, but it is a good place to start for early-on practice tests and PAT stratagy. The pat section is like a workbook to allow you to try new skills before going to the full blown problems. Yay Baroon's! Be cautious though- there are some errors on the practice tests though.

Feralis' Notes (9/10)- Pretty darn good for a free biology resource! It has everything you need to know for the biology section although is can be daunting at first because it is so compact. It is sometimes hard to understand the organization, but all in all a good place to go for biology.

Class Notes (10/10)- I add this as a resource because I think they're often overlooked. Remember: you have learned all of this before and you shouldn't be reteaching yourself everything! Be confident and shoot for the stars!

DAT Genius (7/10)- Okay. So here is my grievance with DAT genius... It is like a photocopy of DAT bootcamp. It looks like they're trying to make money off of the idea of offering 5 practice tests and PAT resources. Meh. Their free practice test was good though, but I still liked bootcamp better and thought that the material of DAT Bootcamp was more representative of the real exam.

goldcrown17,

Congratulations! Love the 22, 22!

You will receive multiple interviews! Your hard work paid off. Thank you for taking the time to write to inform SDN students of your DAT experience. We are delighted you found the Destroyers helpful in achieving your goal.

Celebrate you definitely deserve it!

Dr. Romano and Nancy

Great scores!! Congrats! My exam is in two weeks so your post made me feel a lot better :) Any advice on top front end for PAT? How did bootcamp pat compare to your real pat?

For top front end, DO NOT LOOK AT THE ANSWERS FIRST! Look at the two they give you and try to figure out the 3D image in your head. When you have a good grasp on what that looks like, look at the answer choices and consider each until you find the correct one. Compare each answer, see what is different, and compare it to what the 3D image in your head looks like. Use bootcamp visualizer.

Great scores! Congratulations!
I have a question, i'm going through Math Destroyer and i can't do most of the problems, however i'm good with Destroyer exam. Why is that? Which questions are more like on real dat? And how Gen Chem of Destroyer is similar to real dat? Thank you!
I had the same experience. Just keep working destroyer and math destroyer. Understand what is going on. Just work problems and use chads to learn the basics if you haven't already. I had never finished a bootcamp test on time and usually got around a 20 on bootcamp tests. However, on the real thing, I had 10 extra minutes. Just keep practicing and you WILL get better. You've got this! :)