DAT Breakdown for the Busy Pre-Dental Student! (AA-24/TS-23/PAT-20)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LabCoatAndPearls

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

So, I'm new to this whole posting threads thing, but I wrote this DAT Breakdown on my blog earlier this month and a lot of people have found it really helpful, so I thought I would post here to offer more help to everyone! Also, if you find this post interesting and want to learn more about me - check out my blog at www.labcoatandpearls.blogspot.com
:love:(shameless plug) Also if you have an upcoming interview and are wondering how to prepare, make sure you check out my interview guide found here: http://labcoatandpearls.blogspot.com/2014/12/an-interview-guide-for-busy-pre-dental.html

First off - here is my score breakdown:

PAT - 20
QR - 19
RC - 28 :love:
Bio - 22
GC - 22
OC - 29 :highfive:
TS - 23
AA - 24 :soexcited:

And here's my guide (with complimentary life advice thrown in!):

I just got done taking my DAT in early January of this year and I decided that I would write a How-To Guide of sorts for taking the DAT. I don't know about any of you pre-dentals reading this right now, but I read a lot of online DAT guides before my exam that terrified me. I kept reading things like, "I studied for 12 hours a day for 6 months before the exam," "I completed the DAT Destroyer 15 times and memorized it forward and backward," and "I sold my soul and gave up my first-born child for a 20 or better." (Okay, maybe the last one is a bit of an exaggeration, but you get the point.) I knew that I would never be able to live up to these expectations and I figured that I would also fall short in my score because of this. I was extremely busy in the months leading up to my DAT, and I know many of you will be too. We're pre-dentals! Between our shadowing, volunteering, leadership experiences, and research positions, we're constantly studying to achieve grades that are competitive enough to apply to dental school. So now, on top of all of this, we have to fit in a study schedule that will get us prepared to take the most important test of our educational career thus far. Sounds overwhelming, right? And I know I was when the reality of the situation set in for me. But I'm here to tell you that it is doable and that you can do it. You can do it. Just like the Little Engine that Could, you're going to repeat "I think I can, I think I can" until you get over the hill and move on with your life. And you're going to be so proud of yourself when you're done, and I promise you, it's all going to be worth it.

So let's get down to business. I started studying early, but not too early. There's a learning and forgetting curve that exists when preparing for a major exam. I feel that if you start too far in advance, you're going to forget things that you learned at the beginning of your preparation. This is why it's so important to have an integrative approach. Do not compartmentalize. The worse thing you can do is spend X amount of weeks studying chemistry, and then X amount of weeks studying biology, etc. This is not a realistic approach because if you're not exposing yourself to all of these subjects continuously throughout your study period, you're going to forget them. (At least for me, anyway.) Integration is key!

I scheduled my DAT for early January so that I could have three and a half weeks before my exam to intensely study, without having to balance classes at the same time. You could also do this during the summer if you so please, but you will also be applying to dental school at the same time; which is something to think about. (If you've finished General Chemistry I and II, Organic Chemistry I and II and Biology I and II before the beginning of your Junior year, then I suggest taking it the summer between your Sophomore and Junior year. Or, you could post-pone your DAT one more semester, like I did, and take part of a summer program, like SMDEP- link here: http://smdep.org/)

I familiarized myself with the logistics of the DAT during the summer before my Junior year at SMDEP. I learned a few strategies for the PAT section that I knew I could practice and remember for a while. I also researched and bought some study materials during this time period. I bought the 13th edition of Cliff Notes AP Bio (available on Amazon for ~ $10), the Kaplan Blue Book (also available on Amazon for ~ $40), and a dry erase board and marker to practice with (I got mine at the dollar store), during this time.

Then my fall semester started. I had a full schedule with 16 credits including Biochem and Physiology. I was a TA for Microbiology lab twice a week, I was Vice President of the Pre-Dental Club and Sisterhood Chair for my sorority. I knew I was going to start studying for the DAT, so I had to make some sacrifices to my schedule and chose not to tutor chemistry, or do research during the fall semester. My free time was used to study, and study I did. I loosely followed DAT Bootcamp's 10 week guide (found here: http://datbootcamp.com/Ari'sStudySchedule.pdf), although I found that I wasn't able to keep up with it with my course load, so I would modify it to fit my own schedule.

I began with Chad's Videos. I bought a one month subscription for the General Chemistry (~ $40) and Quantitative Reasoning (~ $40) videos. (Also, make sure you Google coupon codes before you buy anything.) Throughout the semester I would watch around three chemistry videos and two or three math videos a day. I took down intense notes and did the quizzes at the end of each video. I would also do the DAT Bootcamp Angle Generator (found here: http://datbootcamp.com/classroom/perceptual-ability/angle-ranking-generator/) at least once a day. I found that doing it once a day allowed me to gradually improve up until the day I took the DAT without any pressure. I would only do 15 of the 50 questions of the generator a day because there's only 15 on the actual PAT, but do as many as you feel comfortable with. I also tried to read my AP Bio book, but I would often find that I didn't have any time in the day left to do so. (If you do have the time, I suggest reading a chapter or two a week- at least to familiarize yourself with the material.) When I finished all of the Chad's General Chemistry and QR videos, I then bought a one-month subscription for the Organic Chemistry videos (~ $40) and began watching three of those a day. I also bought Crack the DAT: PAT, the Ace Edition ($130), and began working on the individual sections. (While still doing the angle generator.) Beware of the angle section on the Crack the DAT program. They are nothing like the actual DAT. The angle generator is a much more accurate representation of it. I also watched some Youtube videos on the PAT. Some of my favorite ones were:

Hole Punching:
Keyhole:
Top Front End:
Angle Ranking:
Cube Counting:
Pattern Folding: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7LYbh_uHbc

During the week leading up to my finals, I had no time to study for the DAT. I got extremely worried that focusing on my finals was going to mess up my study schedule for the DAT and that I was going to get more behind than I already was. After my finals were done, however, I knew I was going to be able to devote all of my to the DAT, so I kept this in mind and focused solely on acing my finals.

After I finished my fall semester in the beginning of December, I had no time to relax. I knew that I was sacrificing my winter break, but I also knew that doing the test well and finishing it would allow me to focus solely on my application this summer, instead of having to balance taking the DAT and doing my application. I immediately went home and started DAT Destroyer. I ordered the Basic edition, ($150.00.) If you can only afford one DAT resource to use, this is the one. DAT Destroyer was single handedly the best resource for the DAT, by far. (And I'm not even being payed to say that, even though I should be.) I literally saw questions on the actual DAT that mirrored those in DAT Destroyer. When I first got home, I divided the number of pages in the DAT destroyer by the number of days I had left before the test, which totaled about 21 pages a day. At first, I would do 7 pages of General Chemistry, 7 pages of Organic Chemistry and 7 pages of Biology a day. I would mark which ones I got wrong (which was about 50-60% of them) and then I would thoroughly read the explanation in the back and understand why I got it wrong. I finished General Chemistry and Organic Chemistry first, and then I moved on to the QR section, while I finished up the Biology. I would use the notes I took on Chad's videos to explain certain problems that I still didn't get with the explanation, as well as to review entire concepts that were only touched on by some questions. Then, when I finished all of the problems in DAT Destroyer, I went back through and re-did the ones I got wrong. At this time, I was also intensely doing Crack the DAT: PAT problems, and would even do entire tests once in a while to keep track of my progress.

I haven't really touched on the Reading Comprehension section, because I sporadically prepared for this section. I started by reading a scientific article about once a day, which is a good idea if you can continue this throughout your schedule. I found that taking practice Reading Comprehension tests helped me the most in this section, however, and did lots of different ones from a lot of different sources. I did one from my Kaplan Blue Book, I did one from predds.net, and I did one from DAT Bootcamp. I found that the practice tests allowed me to discover how to ration my time during this test. My method was scanning the passage first, and then reading the questions and going back to find the answers. This worked best for me, and honestly, you should figure out what works best for you.

This brings us to the week before the test. Four days before the test, I took the full-length practice DAT in my Kaplan Blue Book. I did the online version because I wanted it to simulate the real test as much as possible. I finished it, and I did horrible. Absolutely awful. I hit a total low point. I couldn't understand why I had done so bad, and I felt like I had completely wasted my entire winter break. I was upset because I didn't realize that Kaplan wasn't going to give me an actual predicted score, and that it only reported the percentiles. So I looked up the 2007 DAT conversion chart of answers correct to raw score, and cried over my score. But after multiple pep-talks from my boyfriend and family, I pulled myself together. I decided that I was going to take another practice test, the real one from the ADA, and see what I got on that, and then decide if I should reschedule or not.

And thank goodness I did. I had ordered the official ADA 2009 DAT (paper form, not online), in early December. The test can be ordered here: http://www.ada.org/dat.aspx, and is around $45 with shipping and handling. I locked myself in my room, timed myself, and used only a four-function calculator on the QR section. I finished and used the same score conversion chart I had used the day before and got a substantially higher predicted score. Substantially. I was thrilled. I decided that I wasn't going to reschedule, and that I was going to take the test. (When you take the full-length practice DAT from the ADA, make sure it is the last thing you do before your test. It is going to most accurately reflect what you will get on your actual DAT. I scored a 22 on my practice test and a 24 on my actual test. Also, the quantitative reasoning in the practice DAT was way harder than on the actual DAT, so don't let that discourage you.)

Here's a note on practice test scores. Practice tests are made to be harder than the actual DAT. I learned this the hard way. I took multiple practice tests that kept on giving me average scores that I was not happy with. I got discouraged very easily, and sometimes practice test scores would ruin my entire day. Don't listen to the scores. A.) Practice tests are made to be harder so that the actual test is easier for you, and you do better. B.) Practice tests are also made to ensure that you buy more practice tests. Of course they're going to tell you that you're doing worse than you actually are, because then you buy more to prove that you're better than what they're telling you! The only practice test that I would trust is the official ADA 2007 DAT. I almost didn't take the DAT because of my score on the Kaplan practice test. I'm so happy my family and my boyfriend told me to keep trucking and to not give up because now I am free to move on to other academic ventures.

I know it can be hard to keep things in perspective when you're preparing to take the DAT, but it's important to know that it is just a test. If your sole worry in life is getting a good grade on a standardized exam, that says a lot about how privileged you are. The DAT can seem like a lost cause at times. It can seem like it's asking too much of you, and that there's no way you could possibly know everything you need to to take the test. And guess what? You're not going to. You're never going to feel ready. Even when you're walking into the testing center the day of, you're not going to feel 100% confident. (At least I didn't, but if you do, then kudos!) And that's okay! Preparing for the DAT does come with a lot of memorization, but more importantly, it comes with identifying certain problem styles and figuring out what concept is being tested on.

So hang in there, pre-dental, it's all going to be okay. When my score popped up on my screen and I cried tears of joy, I knew that giving up my winter break had been completely worth it. Believe in yourself, believe in your capabilities and most importantly: trust yourself. If you studied hard, and you did all that you were capable of doing, then you're going to get the best possible score you can and that is all that matters.

Hope this helps! If you have any questions about anything; test materials, time-rationing, strategies, etc, feel free to ask!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
WOW! those are awesome scores! Did you memorize all the road maps in destroyer, or do you think i'll be fine without them?

Thanks guys! And I I did memorize the first couple road maps in DAT Destroyer, but I didn't devote too much time to them. I found the last few road maps to be a little redundant and/or only contain rarely used compounds/reagents. I recommend looking over the first one, at least, for sure. :)

Which practice tests did you do, beside the one kaplan one and the ada 2009 you talked about? So you did the destroyer twice and the kaplan and ada practice only?

I took quite a few practice tests. I did all the free ones at DAT Bootcamp, and I scored around a 17-18 on all of them. I found these to be a lot harder than the actual DAT. I did all 10 PAT practice tests on my Crack the DAT: PAT, usually scoring around a 21, so my score of a 20 was pretty accurate. I did the practice tests on predds.net for the PAT and the reading comprehension. And yeah, I did the destroyer twice over the course of about a month. I went through the entire thing once, and then I only had time left to go back through the ones I had missed previously. But like I said, the 2009 ADA test was definitely most accurate in predicting my actual scores. Make sure you buy the paper one, because if you take the online version it doesn't let you go back and review the ones you missed!

how do they average ts and AA scores?
At least for the ts, the ts score seems too low ?
if you average out 22, 22, 29, it comes out to 24.xx. shouldn't TS be 24 or 25? or do they use weird averaging method?

or am I a ****** in math? haha

Members don't see this ad :)
btw good job!
I considered myself very competent in organic and didn't get a 29! Awesome job in all, but especially impressive in RC and OC.

how do they average ts and AA scores?
At least for the ts, the ts score seems too low ?
if you average out 22, 22, 29, it comes out to 24.xx. shouldn't TS be 24 or 25? or do they use weird averaging method?

or am I a ****** in math? haha

thank you!! and haha no you're not that bad at math - I read on the unofficial score report they give you after you take the test that the TS is not simply an average of all of your science scores - so looking at my score, they must weigh bio a little more than the chemistry (being my guess.) But I'm pretty sure the AA is a direct average of all of your scores!

thank you!! and haha no you're not that bad at math - I read on the unofficial score report they give you after you take the test that the TS is not simply an average of all of your science scores - so looking at my score, they must weigh bio a little more than the chemistry (being my guess.) But I'm pretty sure the AA is a direct average of all of your scores!

TS is based on questions correct/100. AA is an actual average.

Thank you! Haha, yeah I had to take the organic chemistry ACS exam last spring, so this o chem section was a piece of cake compared to that.

Thank you! Haha, yeah I had to take the organic chemistry ACS exam last spring, so this o chem section was a piece of cake compared to that.

yeah, even the gen chem is a piece of cake if you are able to do well on the ACS book and/or the destroyer book (even though destroyer is slightly more difficult)

Congrats! Awesome scores! How long did you study total? Im in a similar situation as you with not much time left to study for the DAT, and so im trying to work out whether I should push my test back (planned on taking May 10) or just squeeze whatever studying I can get done (usually only couple hours a day, plus I am learning Ochem completely from scratch) and go ahead and take the test. My fear for pushing it back is I dont want to start forgetting everything I am learning now. How did you deal with this?

Congrats! Awesome scores! How long did you study total? Im in a similar situation as you with not much time left to study for the DAT, and so im trying to work out whether I should push my test back (planned on taking May 10) or just squeeze whatever studying I can get done (usually only couple hours a day, plus I am learning Ochem completely from scratch) and go ahead and take the test. My fear for pushing it back is I dont want to start forgetting everything I am learning now. How did you deal with this?

I would recommend not pushing it back if at all possible. It's super expensive to do so, and I have never heard of anyone being happy that they waited, or that the extra few weeks or so made any difference. However, if you're thinking of pushing it back until you've taken O Chem, or something dramatic like that, then yes, I would recommend pushing it back.

As far as how many hours total did I study - I would say I did around 3 hours a day during the semester, and then after finals when I had a break between school and my DAT over Christmas Vacation, I would study for 7-8 hours a day. (Basically when I wasn't sleeping lol.) But I would definitely take breaks here and there, and go shopping, etc., every once in a while to keep myself sane. (I also had to take a break on Christmas!) I think it's really crucial to have a few weeks leading up to the exam that are strictly for studying for the DAT without classes or any other distractions!

Hope that helps! And always remember to keep a positive attitude and have a strong support system behind you! :)

Thanks for the reply...I have decided not to push it back. I definitely feel like prolonging it is only going to stress me out by making the this whole process longer than needed. I'm just ready to take it and be done!! I also need to realize that not studying 12 hours a day wont wreck my scores, but I always feel so guilty on nights when I am only able to squeeze in an hour of DAT study...or no time at all. I will have spring break, weekends, and 2 weeks between spring and summer semester to focus on only the DAT so that will help. Anyway, good to know I'm not the only one studying for the DAT with a million other things going on :)

Awesome orgo score. Very good GPA. One of the best breakdowns I have ever seen. Great job

Do you know, if it is important to do research before you are applying to Dental schools? I mean, shadowing is not enough?

Awesome orgo score. Very good GPA. One of the best breakdowns I have ever seen. Great job
Awesome scores, nice breakdown as well. You nailed it. congrats

Thanks guys! I appreciate the kind words!

Do you know, if it is important to do research before you are applying to Dental schools? I mean, shadowing is not enough?

I'm not sure if i understand your question, but I think it's important to research each dental school you plan on applying to and see if their mission statement match up with your own personal goals and education style! Hope this helps! :)

What was your average in CDR tests? What scores did you get in CDR Tests?

Do you mean Crack the DAT reading? If so, I only did the trial reading test that came with the free download, and it projected a 20. If not, can you clarify what you mean? Thanks!

Some schools like to see research experience, but it's not a requirement. In my case, I have worked full time while taking pre-reqs, volunteered, and shadowed. There aren't enough hours in the week to also commit myself to doing research. If you can fit it into your schedule, it would be an excellent EC to have

@biomolecmed Oh, sorry! I can be dense sometimes! Yeah, I got into research because my friend was doing it, so I had a connection. But honestly if you want to do research I would just skim the professors' bios on your school's website and find something that interests you. I like it because it's fun, you basically become an expert in what you're researching and it also comes off pretty good, as well. But it's definitely not a deal breaker if you don't have it, just an added bonus and something to talk about during interviews.

Thank you for your reply. Don't worry about being dense. lol, you just have much to say. If research can be a bonus, than it is worth doing it. Thanks.

Can I ask for advice on how you time-rationed? Obviously there are a lot of subjects, so how did you split up your time to study all the subjects? Great job btw! If you started studying now, and want to take the exam in May, what do you suggest?

Can I ask for advice on how you time-rationed? Obviously there are a lot of subjects, so how did you split up your time to study all the subjects? Great job btw! If you started studying now, and want to take the exam in May, what do you suggest?

Thank you! During the semester when I had classes I would do about 3 hours of studying for the DAT/day. I would usually do around 2 hours chemistry (gen and then once that was done orgo) and then 1 hour of QR. All throughout the day I would do PAT practice, a little bit here, and a little bit there, so probably around 30 minutes a day. I would use PAT practice as a bit of a break from all of the heavy bookwork. I would always do the DAT Bootcamp question of the day as soon as I woke up. Once the semester ended and finals were over, I would probably study for around 9 hours/day every day for three weeks before my test. I would probably do about 3 hours of inorganic chemistry, 3 hours of biology and 2 hours of organic chemistry every day. But that number would vary depending on how confident I felt in some areas compared to others. I would also do at least an hour of PAT practice every day during this time. Reading was kind of sporadic like I said. I've just been an avid reader for so long that I didn't really practice for the RC part that much at all; I just did a couple practice tests before the big day. QR was definitely the thing I worried about the least because it's not heavily weighted by dental schools. So I kind of pushed that off until about a week before the test and sorta crammed with DAT Destroyer.

I'm not going to lie, it was really brutal and I would have to take breaks some days to avoid going crazy. But have a strong support system that can make you laugh, and DON'T GET DISCOURAGED OVER PRACTICE TEST SCORES. If only someone had told me this before I started preparing for the DAT, it would've saved me A LOT of heartache... Hope this helps! :)

Reactions: 1 user
Sounds like you killed the DAT good job!! Where do you want to go to dental school. I'm sure you have this huge load off your chest!!

Killer scores and even better breakdown!! My DAT is on April 3rd and I've been averaging low 20's on bootcamp (that QR on there is murder!) and qVault. Seeing you mention that you felt practice tests are harder than the real thing makes me feel really good.

Do you think Dental schools look at shadowing or are they more interested in you having experience working at the Dental office as a Dental assistant for example?

Sounds like you killed the DAT good job!! Where do you want to go to dental school. I'm sure you have this huge load off your chest!!

Thank you so much!! Yeah, it's really nice to be able to focus on other things now, like my personal statement! I have a large list of schools I'm applying to, about 9 and I would absolutely be honored to attend any one of them.

Killer scores and even better breakdown!! My DAT is on April 3rd and I've been averaging low 20's on bootcamp (that QR on there is murder!) and qVault. Seeing you mention that you felt practice tests are harder than the real thing makes me feel really good.

Thanks!! And yeah, practice scores can definitely kill your spirit, but you just have to keep your chin up! And good luck, I'm sure you'll do awesome! :)

Do you think Dental schools look at shadowing or are they more interested in you having experience working at the Dental office as a Dental assistant for example?

I think as long as you're exposing yourself to the world of dentistry, that's all that matters - whether it be shadowing, volunteering, or working. Obviously DAs are going to have a great advantage when applying, but I'm not sure if it's worth the certification process. Just get out there and have lots of great dental experiences that you can talk about in your personal statement/interviews and you're good to go!

Last edited:
Congrats on your scores! Great job. Did you have a study schedule or template that you followed? I'm a non-traditional student who works full time, and I'm just looking for a study plan that I can use as a guide. Thanks!

Congrats on your scores! Great job. Did you have a study schedule or template that you followed? I'm a non-traditional student who works full time, and I'm just looking for a study plan that I can use as a guide. Thanks!

Hey @Prettygirl5! I loosely followed the DAT Bootcamp 10 week guide, found here: http://datbootcamp.com/Ari'sStudySchedule.pdf

Since I was also enrolled in classes full-time when I was doing the plan, I modified it to be able to fit my schedule. (This involved things like pushing off the AP Bio off until after my classes were done.) But I followed this pretty closely! Hope this helps!

Hello everyone!

So, I'm new to this whole posting threads thing, but I wrote this DAT Breakdown on my blog earlier this month and a lot of people have found it really helpful, so I thought I would post here to offer more help to everyone! Also, if you find this post interesting and want to learn more about me - check out my blog at www.labcoatandpearls.blogspot.com
. :love:(shameless plug) Also if you have an upcoming interview and are wondering how to prepare, make sure you check out my interview guide found here: http://labcoatandpearls.blogspot.com/2014/12/an-interview-guide-for-busy-pre-dental.html

First off - here is my score breakdown:.

PAT - 20
QR - 19
RC - 28 :love:
Bio - 22
GC - 22
OC - 29 :highfive:
TS - 23
AA - 24 :soexcited:.

About how many people apply to SMDEP each year?