Dat: Breakdown time 8/15/13

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ChrisM07

Dental Student
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all! I finally took the DAT today for the second time and would like to give back since I used the breakdowns here extensively in my quest to conquer this exam. First, I want to give a thanks to just a few of the people (among many) who have helped in particular over these three months: Glimmer for the awesome compilation of breakdowns and seeming interest in seeing people to well. Illfavor, for taking the time even after the exam to answer people's questions and to contribute and sskater for the marvelous "tetherball" method for angle ranking (it sure came in handy today). Ari, you're the man. Thanks for putting up with all of my e-mails concerning your test questions. I wholeheartedly apologize to anyone to whom I did not get a chance to respond to via PM if you replied to a message I sent.

In case anyone cares, I'll give a little background information about myself. Dentistry first entered my mind as THE profession when I was in 9th grade in 2003. For me, it had everything I was looking for in a career (as I'm sure for all of you too). Fast forward a few years, I graduated with a degree in geology (yes, rocks) in January of 2011. My undergrad career was filled with ups and downs and I did some damage to my GPA early on and have really been working ever since to pull it up. I just graduated this May with a Master's in Biomedical Science degree from a medical school and have spent my summer from May 16 – August 14 studying for this test. I think about this career path every day and it's truly the only thing I have EVER wanted to achieve.

I started this summer by coming back to SDN to read breakdowns. The first one I read was Glimmer's. I told myself that I was NOT going to get discouraged into thinking that I can't get these scores too. My goal was to see what people did so that I could hopefully do just as well. So my first read was Glimmer's breakdown. Then I read Illfavor's soon after. Whoa. While the two of them, like many others here on SDN, have superhuman scores, they are themselves a human much like myself. We are alike. They have a brain, and so do I so we should be able to achieve similar scores (easier said than done). I used the many breakdowns here as motivation to better myself. I took the suggested resources to heart and really gave thought when investing in them.

DAT 2011:

BIO: 18
GC: 18
OC: 20
PAT: 17
RC: 20
QR: 16
TS: 18
AA: 18

DAT 2013:

BIO: 21 :mad:
GC: 22 :love:
OC: 21
PAT: 20
RC: 19 :(
QR: 17 :laugh: :barf:
TS: 21
AA: 20

MATERIALS:

DAT DESTROYER:I have the 2011 version since I studied for it then so I figured this would be good enough to use.
1. BIO: for my test personally, way overkill. I was averaging 80% correctness on the first pass. I attribute this to the classes that I took in this past year though so don't fret if you're not destroying the Destroyer on the first pass. Two years ago, the first pass of Destroyer put me in the fetal position where I questioned the direction of my life. I could have done just as well with Cliff's. The questions were just…weird. I really wanted my score to be higher since I had just spent the past year studying medical school level biology. To be honest, I actually WANTED this test to make me use my knowledge in this section. Instead, it was extremely broad like everyone says. Stick with Cliff's and Feralli's notes. That should be good enough. BTW? DON'T ignore taxonomy. Pretty sure that's where I lost two of my points (HINT: TWO). Many of the questions were not asked in that straight forward of a way. Some though were just blunt questions like "What is responsible for doing this?". No brainer stuff. Other questions, I was like, "wait, so what are you asking me?"
1. GC: Again, beyond overkill although it helps to reinforce concepts. I also was expecting to do better based on my scores on Bootcamp and Destroyer. Like before, these questions, I found, were asked in a roundabout way. For instance, I KNEW what the question wanted, but for some reason, the information they gave me in the question made it difficult for me to solve it (I eventually did after staring at it long enough but this contributed to my shortness of time with the sciences).
3. OC: Too much again. Still, you want to be prepared so you need to do these questions. While someone may have an easy test, someone else might have a hard one that will require a Ph.D in organic synthesis in order to complete. Know the roadmaps, know Chad's.
4. QR: I hated studying for this section the first time I took this test. I hated it now (some things just don't change). I did what I could to understand these concepts. The problem is timing. Individually, these problems are do-able. When under a time constraint? It's a ton harder. I had four minutes left in this section and just ended it there because I knew that there was nothing more I could do. I just wanted to get ta dat score sheet, ya feel?

BOOTCAMP: Straight nasty sauce over here. When I started to look for new materials in May, I came across this and was hesitant because there are tons of software and programs out there that promise everything on the DAT. I checked SDN and found a FEW good reviews (at the time) and said screw it and bought it. Plus the price was good. Much to my surprise, the tests are actually really good. I averaged 19-26 on each of the science tests.
1. BIO: Essential. His tests ask very straight forward questions but it also asks ones that force you to think. This is how it is. The DAT has "give me" questions but then it has "fun's over" questions. Bootcamp has a good mix of both just like the real thing. Plus, the customer support (AKA: Ari) is top notch. Ari really wants to help people succeed. Not sure if I see THIS kind of support in the medical field (pre-meds take note).
2. GC: again, awesome. He has a good mix of simple enough questions and ones that require math and such.
3. OC: perfect representation.

PAT: WAY representative.
1. Key Hole: Slightly easier than Bootcamp. Oh and I have a gripe with the test. This test did NOT follow proportions all the time like Bootcamp. If you've ever done CDP, you know that they don't always follow the proportion rule either. I expected more out of you DAT, I really did. The first few on the DAT were smooth sailing. Round peg? Round hole. Square peg? Square hole. Then it was a Christmas tree, pine needles, ornaments and all with its corresponding hole ("fun's over"). In fact one, I was like "is this the Capital Building in Washington, D.C.?".
2. TFE: pretty similar. DAT is a tad easier.
3. Angles: very similar unfortunately. Get used to the 3 degree difference. Shoutout to sskater. Picture these bad boys as a tetherball and it should help some.
4. Hole Punching: This is my bread and butter right here. I might actually do these for fun in my spare time. Pretty accurate, not overly complicated. The holes DO change size though so it's weird on the real thing.
5. Cube Counting: WAY fewer cubes on the real thing.
6. Pattern Folding: I was always a little rough around the edges on this one but got the hang of it after time. DAT was a bit easier in my opinion. Less wacky shapes, less objects that look like they've been run through a paper shredder.

QR: I thought it was much more difficult than the real thing, but for some reason, I did worse on the real thing :laugh: .

RC: Eh, similar I guess. Definitely had questions like, "Both statements are correct; NEITHER statements are correct, etc."

CLIFF'S: This had most of what I needed to know. What it didn't cover, Feralli's notes, Bootcamp, or DAT QVault covered. Destroyer was too much but it's essential to be over prepared.

ACHIEVER: Yeahhhhh about this......I spent almost the whole summer debating about this. It's BEYOND TOO MUCH FOR THE DAT. The only thing it's good for is PAT and timing. MAYBE QR. Just MAYBE. But don't asked me about QR, I puked this section.

CDP/CDR: Loved this. Perfect for getting the hang of keyholes. From there I moved on to Bootcamp where things got real. But this was good cause it takes you away from your comfort zone and forces you to adapt to difficulties. CDR was alright and let me develop some sort of method. I just took notes on each paragraph. The last one I ran out of time and had to search and destroy it. That's the one that gave me the 19. I just know it.

IMPORTANT NOTE

This test, in my opinion, is largely based upon the mentality that you have when you walk into the testing center as well as the weeks leading up to the test. Believe in yourself. Know that you can do well. It's potentially a 60/40 confidence to knowledge ratio. The better you feel about yourself, about your ability to do well on the test, the more likely you are to do well. Now, maybe this isn't the case 100% of the time for everyone, but I think it holds water. During the summer, I experienced a roller coaster of emotions. This is normal but it's important to keep them in check. It's fine to be nervous about this test, it really is. It's not fine to be so nervous that it inhibits your ability to do well. Today, I woke up anxious, but I was still functional. There were times that I just flipped out on my study buddy. I felt bad afterwards. Luckily, he's taking the MCAT so he does the same once in a while so he gets it. After, I just felt better and could carry on with my studies. So, let it out once in a while. It's ok. Punch a pillow, throw something, kick something, just let the stress and anger out (in a constructive manner I guess). \

I quickly reviewed my QR notes (what good they did, right?) and had lunch with my MCAT buddy. I walked into the testing center calm and collected and sat down and just told myself that I did everything I could and that I had to tackle this head on. Upon the first biology question, the world around me ceased to exist and I was focused on nothing but tackling each question individually. Before I knew it, the test was over. Even during the test, I found myself saying, "wow, this is finally happening. The DAT. For Dental School!". I cannot imagine what this test would have been like if I was freaking out. I will say though, that my level of anxiety and my heart rate and pulse increased exponentially as I was filling out the survey because I knew that my future rested on those scores just seconds away. I don't think that even if I tried to re-take it, they would increase so it looks like, for now, I will have to stick with what I have.

I think I covered it all. If I didn't ask me! Let me know if you care about practice scores so I can compile them! Hopefully it's worthy enough of a menu item on Glimmer's list (at least the table scraps section?).

Hope I didn't bore you all and that you took something away from this. I'll update it here and there.

Chris

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I'm glad you did well man...really am. I have seen you around forums for a while and I'm sure you've seen me around as well...great stuff dude and I really hope you get in somewhere.

Thanks man, I really appreciate the sincere and kind words. I know you've been working hard and deserve great results too. Hopefully this is our year (if you're applying this cycle).

haha no I'm entering my junior year :p...Studied 4 months for this exam...slow and steady. Hopefully if I do well I can have a chill junior and senior year :D

Members don't see this ad :)
YEAAAAH alright! Congrats man! Take a break, I've been playing video games for awhile now, I'm itching to start prepping for next semester after studying for so long it feels weird not to study xD
go play some Tetherball!
Good luck too :)

How do you think these scores look along with a 3.0 GPA/3.2 masters GPA?

Pretty good. You made some great improvements and I'm glad your hard work came through. Hopefully you've applied broadly, and you should be able to get some interviews with these scores. After that it's up to your words...:laugh:

Thank you guys for the positive feedback! It means a lot to me.

I have applied to 21 schools so far. I guess that's broad? They are all over the place (in state and out). I am an in state PA resident. If you want, I can list the ones that I applied to in order to give an idea of where.

congratulation! Can I ask you something about the RC and QR?
In term of difficulty, are the passages easier to read than CDR and Bootcamp, or more difficult?
For QR, in what ways do you think the real DAT is easier?

congratulation! Can I ask you something about the RC and QR?
In term of difficulty, are the passages easier to read than CDR and Bootcamp, or more difficult?
For QR, in what ways do you think the real DAT is easier?
Thank you! Sure you can!

For RC:

The first two were a breeze at 13 paragraphs each. I am confident that I did REALLY well on those because I felt great about most of the answers I put down. After the second passage, I was thinking "easily just broke a 20 with these two passages alone". Then I got to the last one and while it was only 7 paragraphs long, they were LONG paragraphs. This one was more dense than the others and it required me to answer questions very similar to RC Bootcamp, like "BOTH are correct, NEITHER, FIRST but not SECOND, etc." It also required some analysis which I thought was weird. I had to then go back and actually read that part that the question was pertaining to in order to answer the question.

The first two passages, I wrote key words down on my sheet and this allowed me to map the passage out. The questions literally used key words that I wrote down so this allowed me to jump back and forth between question and passage. I had 17 minutes left for the last passage and 15 question left so I knew that it would be a waste of time to write any more. Pure S&D here. I KNOW this passage is why I got a 19. For me, it was sort of a tossup when I got to questions like are seen in Bootcamp (the BOTH/NEITHER ones).

CDR always bothered me because the answer questions would be sometimes very similar to each other and I often found myself saying, "that's BS!" to their explanations. The explanations are pretty subjective in my opinion so depending on how you read it or interpret the question, you will answer it one way while they expect it another. The test IMO was less subjective. Bootcamp was good for length of passages as well. Even before I took the test, I was like, "there is NO way they're gonna ask me to read 23 paragraphs like in CDR".

For QR:

The questions on the real thing are NOT long like in Math Destroyer/Bootcamp. Math is not my strong point, but I am at least capable of solving the questions given ENOUGH time. The problem with the DAT, which I'm sure you've read over and over again, is that the QR section is basically a race against time. Practice doing the questions against the clock. For some reason, I was scoring 19's on Bootcamp QR but didn't even get that on the real thing (guess I was just tired and choked on some). I definitely used Ari's method: if its taking you more than 10-20 seconds to start it, just PUT DOWN AN ANSWER, mark it, and move on. In the end I had quite a few marked answers and with 3 minutes left, I just went over then to make sure they were at least not blank. I ended it 3 minutes early because I knew that the extra 3 minutes did nothing for me and I was just eager to see my score sheet lol.

KNOW your TRIG, GEOMETRY, PROBABILITY. Those are "high yield" I guess you could say.

did you have a lot of word problems? Bootcamp/Destroyer seem to have a lot of those and they take quite some time to set up+solve for me

Members don't see this ad :)
I did have some but they were not all as long as Bootcamp. Actually, a COUPLE that I remember were almost exactly like Bootcamp (in length and question type) so I immediately skipped them because let's face it, it was not worth me sitting there for 4 minutes trying to figure out my method to set it up haha. The majority are not like Bootcamp/Math Destroyer though (in length). The style and kind of question may still be there though. You know what, Chad's were decent at things like probability and geometry and especially trig because I have not written the word "sine" since pre-calculus. Oh and the calculator did have a little bit of a lag to it. You had to punch in the numbers in patiently one at a time. It did come in handy a few times though.

I did have some but they were not all as long as Bootcamp. Actually, a COUPLE that I remember were almost exactly like Bootcamp (in length and question type) so I immediately skipped them because let's face it, it was not worth me sitting there for 4 minutes trying to figure out my method to set it up haha. The majority are not like Bootcamp/Math Destroyer though (in length). The style and kind of question may still be there though. You know what, Chad's were decent at things like probability and geometry and especially trig because I have not written the word "sine" since pre-calculus. Oh and the calculator did have a little bit of a lag to it. You had to punch in the numbers in patiently one at a time. It did come in handy a few times though.

thanks. i do the same thing while practicing as you did on the test if i see that the problem is long and it will take me a lot of time to set it up i choose an answer, mark and go to the next question. Also, how is math scored? I have noticed that on bootcamp you can get an 18 with only getting 16/40 correct due to difficulty of the test i guess. do you think its true for the real deal? math is my worst subject and i absolutely hate it and always have :laugh::idea:

math is my worst subject and i absolutely hate it and always have

I feel ya! I really tried to give math a chance in my life. I really have. I did well in Calc II, but that's about it.

Unfortunately, I don't know how many I actually got wrong on the real thing so I can't quite comment on the grading. A 17 is 63.2 percentile though (for my test). Bootcamp has mostly word problems. From reading on Bootcamp's site, they grade according to question difficulty so it may be different than the real thing. I wish I had more to give you in terms of this, but I don't :( I always assumed that you needed to get at least more than 50% correct to break a 17 or 18 on the real thing but again, I don't know for sure. Just go over why your answer is right or wrong in your materials. There ARE some questions on this test as a whole that are extremely similar (and by extremely, I mean 95-99%) to Bootcamp/Destroyer (even the 2011 version which is what I used).

From what I see, you still have four weeks to go? That's still ample time to get things accomplished and to go over things you're shaky on.

I feel ya! I really tried to give math a chance in my life. I really have. I did well in Calc II, but that's about it.

Unfortunately, I don't know how many I actually got wrong on the real thing so I can't quite comment on the grading. A 17 is 63.2 percentile though (for my test). Bootcamp has mostly word problems. From reading on Bootcamp's site, they grade according to question difficulty so it may be different than the real thing. I wish I had more to give you in terms of this, but I don't :( I always assumed that you needed to get at least more than 50% correct to break a 17 or 18 on the real thing but again, I don't know for sure. Just go over why your answer is right or wrong in your materials. There ARE some questions on this test as a whole that are extremely similar (and by extremely, I mean 95-99%) to Bootcamp/Destroyer (even the 2011 version which is what I used).

From what I see, you still have four weeks to go? That's still ample time to get things accomplished and to go over things you're shaky on.

yeah my test is on 14th of September. I know for 4 seems like a lot but it doesnt feel that way :scared:

yeah my test is on 14th of September. I know for 4 seems like a lot but it doesnt feel that way :scared:
Of course it doesn't because you're going through it now and we are looking at it from the outside. Four weeks before mine, I was getting anxious too. But read what I wrote under the IMPORTANT NOTE part of my initial post. It holds true and I believe this.

Of course it doesn't because you're going through it now and we are looking at it from the outside. Four weeks before mine, I was getting anxious too. But read what I wrote under the IMPORTANT NOTE part of my initial post. It holds true and I believe this.

oh yeah i know its true. i bombed the mcat once because i walked into the testing center anxious as hell and never believed i could do well even though i studied hard for over 5 months. confidence is key when coupled with good preparation it can make a big difference

Thank you for your reply! Compared to the CDR and Bootcamp, are the passages on the real things more difficult to read or easier? When I was practicing with CDR and Bootcamp, Bootcamp was more dense and scientific based and thus more difficult for me to read

Thank you for your reply! Compared to the CDR and Bootcamp, are the passages on the real things more difficult to read or easier? When I was practicing with CDR and Bootcamp, Bootcamp was more dense and scientific based and thus more difficult for me to read

The first two (for me) were easy reads in my opinion and sort of interesting. The questions were straight forward. "What is X", "In this paragraph, what does this refer to?". The last one was more like Bootcamp, "What does the author mean, HERE". More interpretive. All three were easier to read IMO. There are different tests floating around though.

Last edited:
also, i wanted to ask you how was pattern folding on the test? was it comparable to CDP or Achiever/Bootcamp?

It was easier than Achiever that's for sure. Bootcamp/CDP I'd say was most representative. Some of them were easy enough where I could just look at the main shape of the figure and find the answer pretty quickly. Other's required some mental manipulation but nothing as difficult like Achiever (although it may be good practice). They weren't too heavy on the "pattern" aspect. While there were some, I tended to see a lot of blank figures that required folding. I know I could have done better if it weren't for angle ranking. On my practice tests (or practice PAT tests) I was consistently scoring 80-90% in each section but would pull a 60-70 percent in angles. After a whole summer of doing angles, I was like, "it is what it is".

one last question :)

what did you use to prepare for conceptual questions for OC? Was Chad enough?
No problem, ask away! Really, it's ok. I understand what it's like. Now that this test is over, I have nothing to do. I don't even have a job, lol. Just secondaries. I finally had time for a haircut today.

Yeah, Chaddy is more than enough. For GC and for OC. I am disappointed with some of my scores because I thought that they were going to be a bit higher because of my extensive preparation (Chad's/Bootcamp/Destroyer). I think the problem for me might have been that some of the GC questions took me longer than I thought so I did not have time to check all of my answers for BIO or OC. If I had some extra time I might have found mistakes that I made. Other than that though I though the OC was very straight forward.

No problem, ask away! Really, it's ok. I understand what it's like. Now that this test is over, I have nothing to do. I don't even have a job, lol. Just secondaries. I finally had time for a haircut today.

Yeah, Chaddy is more than enough. For GC and for OC. I am disappointed with some of my scores because I thought that they were going to be a bit higher because of my extensive preparation (Chad's/Bootcamp/Destroyer). I think the problem for me might have been that some of the GC questions took me longer than I thought so I did not have time to check all of my answers for BIO or OC. If I had some extra time I might have found mistakes that I made. Other than that though I though the OC was very straight forward.

thanks :))) good luck with app cycle! Hopefully i will be applying this year as well but I need to take the test first :)