rectangle

5+ Year Member
Oct 31, 2015
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
Just took the DAT and since I always looked at other sdn'ers breakdowns during my downtime, thought I'd share my own testing experience. Firstly, I want to thank Ari, orgoman (dat destroyer), feralis, and scsc7211. I would not have gotten my scores if it weren't for them.

PAT: 20
QR: 19
RC: 21
BIO: 19
GC: 22
OC: 20
TS: 20
AA: 20

Bootcamp scores:
Test 1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9/10
Bio: 15,14,16,16,18,15,18,18,15,19
GC: 21,19,18,18,18,19,19,19,19,19
OC: 18,20,18,18,18,19,18,18,17,18,
PAT: 20,21,20,19,18,18,20,18,18,x
RC: 20,19,21,23,20,17,20,19,19,x
QR: 20,18,20,19,17,17,19,19,19,17

I did test 1 first, then 6-10 (ish), then did 2-5 with testing parameters.

2009 test: 19 bio, 20 gen chem, 18 ochem. This was before I checked for the wrong answers, and afterwards I didn't bother to redo the math as to not obsess over the scores + I felt hunting for the explanations were going to help me in the long run. I didn't do the rest of the exam or the 2007 exam.

Dat Prep:
I want to start off by saying I started the beginning with content review with Chad's videos for gen chem, organic, and qr. I did not think this helped me, and instead I felt like everything was going in one ear and out the other. I did that for about 2 weeks, then realized I wasn't getting any knowledge down. So afterwards, I simply started going over my lecture notes for those subjects and figured out that those helped way way way more better -- especially because my lecture notes from the school year were a combination of class, tutorials, textbooks, youtube vids, khan academy, bozeman science etc. I was also studying in between visiting family, personal obligations, etc.

I had about 3 weeks left at this point.

Chad's videos (0/10): I really wanted to like these, but... reason explained above. I'm probably an anomaly however.

2016 Dat Destroyer & Math Destroyer: (10/10) I was not able to do all of it fully due to time constraints, but nevertheless, it did point me at which direction I needed to go over. I hadn't taken QR related math in about 6 years, so the math destroyer really helped me out as a refresher. Roadmaps were amazing, but it didn't help me much on my exam. If I could do it again, I would have gone over all the destroyer questions.

AP Bio Cliff's 3rd ed. (9/10): Great overview, yet missing quite a bunch of anatomy.

scsc7211’s Version of Alan’s DAT Biology Notes (8/10): Great overview and condensed version.

AintNobodyGotTimeForDAT's Anki flashcard deck (8/10): Really good, but I did not manage to get quite far (enough) into the deck, imo.

DAT Bootcamp (10/10): If there's one thing you should buy, it's this.

Scientific American (10/10): I love reading. I always get distracted on wikipedia, SA, news sites, literature, and so much more. I'm not that used to reading heavy science articles compared to how much I read for fun, however.

The Exam:
Bio - Some of the questions were definitely "you know it or you don't" and some questions were a bit more application based. A few were incredibly random, but as we all know, breadth over depth.

Gen chem - I was kind of freaking out at this point because of the random bio questions, and for some reason my brain kept freezing at similar questions I had literally answered a few days ago. Everything here imo was doable and not random as far as I can remember.

Organic - There were a few questions that I had no idea what to do because I was not sure what it was asking, and it might have just been the way it was asked. Either way, there were enough times I got it down between two answer choices. Not a lot of questions that could be answered using roadmaps, sadly.

PAT - I was preparing for DAT to be super blurry or TFE/keyhole to absolutely wreck me. I had 1 question that I could safely say was a rock, but tbh, a few we could argue whether or not they were rocks. Angle was the same as BC. Hole punching had a few weird "in between" hole punches. Cube counting was nice, except I had one huge cube thing that was only for 1 question... lol. Keyhole was a bit easier than BC. I started PAT with angles and continued on from there.

RC - My method was to read all the relevant questions for the passage, read all or most of the passage while highlighting and then start answering. My first question was S&D, but my other two passages were definitely not S&D - a lot of tone/inference/true but not true, etc questions. One of my questions literally had the exact same answer choice shown twice (I checked 6x and stared at it to make sure!), and I put that tidbit down in the misc text box at the end of exam tutorial. That surprise kind of made me think I was going mad, not going to lie.

QR - I had QC, trig, and a few other questions that were seen in Bootcamp and Math destroyer. A few questions were similar, but not similar enough that it was taking me longer than usual. I felt like I guessed in an educated manner for about 6-7 of them, which really hurt my confidence because I always had time leftover for BC and destroyer. I wanted to tear up because at this point I thought I was going to get 16's or 17's across the board. Never the less, I focused until time was up because I knew mentality was half the battle.

When my scores showed on the screen, I felt *so* much relief. I know that my scores aren't on par with the rest of the SDN population, but I was seriously expecting the worse. Some advice would be to learn from your mistakes during your prep time -- a mistake now can be an answer later on the real thing.

UNUSUAL TIPS:
-I wear glasses that were two years old, and when I updated my prescription PAT (especially angles) became a whoLE lot easier. Make sure your glasses/contacts are up to date!
-Take everyone's own experiences with a grain of salt, what may work for one person may not work for you (re: chad's videos.)
-Taking practice tests in a test setting really helped me and any sort of testing anxiety when I took the actual test, as it didn't seem so nerve wracking and extreme.
-Figure out where the bathroom is before you start the test. The restrooms for me were practically in a different building.
-Since you know you're getting a laminated sheet/grid paper and expo markers, use those instead of pen/pencil/paper. I practiced with regular dry expo markers and a sheet print out shoved in a sheet protecter. As a person who writes with 0.38mm and 0.25mm pens often, I was lucky enough that the testing center had the "extra fine tip" expos.

Background: I just finished my second year of college at a large public university and am a rising junior. My residency is TX, and I still do not have a school list except for the 3 TX schools, so if anyone has any suggestions, please let me know! Additionally, my oGPA is a 3.59.

Attachments

• DAT scores.jpeg
    DAT scores.jpeg
    140.9 KB · Views: 36
Reactions: 2 users

DeSi#1

TheDeSiDentist
2+ Year Member
Mar 24, 2017
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
Solid scores! Took my DAT today as well! I really felt that the expo markers and whiteboards screwed me over in the QR section because I couldn't make out what I wrote. Everything I wrote looked like a blob! I did the Prometric Test Drive and I was given pencil and paper "by accident", so that is what I prepared for. I think it is great that you actually practiced with white boards and expos! For future DATers, I would take this "tip" into consideration!

Reactions: 1 users

rectangle

5+ Year Member
Oct 31, 2015
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
Solid scores! Took my DAT today as well! I really felt that the expo markers and whiteboards screwed me over in the QR section because I couldn't make out what I wrote. Everything I wrote looked like a blob! I did the Prometric Test Drive and I was given pencil and paper "by accident", so that is what I prepared for. I think it is great that you actually practiced with white boards and expos! For future DATers, I would take this "tip" into consideration!
Wow I can't believe they gave you pencil and paper by accident! Was it a different or new staff worker? I hope it didn't affect your scores too much!

DeSi#1

TheDeSiDentist
2+ Year Member
Mar 24, 2017
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
Wow I can't believe they gave you pencil and paper by accident! Was it a different or new staff worker? I hope it didn't affect your scores too much!

No, they were just old people. When I was there for the test drive, it didn't seem like they cared all that much. I am happy with my score. Having pencil and paper probably would have helped me in the QR, but it is all said and done now!

Reactions: 1 user
About the Ads
This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.