DAT breaking it down!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MikeQ

Dental
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Good day ladies and gents.
I'd like to thank SDN and all who are involved. The communication and amount of work involved here is truly unmatched and unparalleled to anything I've seen in the professional community. With that being said, I took my DAT yesterday and would love to give back that which I received.

Mind you, this is a retake. First take: 2011

Previous score:
PAT: 18
QR: 20
RC: 16
BIO: 19
GC: 23
OC: 23
TS: 21
AA: 20

New score:
PAT: 22 (93.4)
QR: 19 (91.2)
RC: 19 (52.2) :)
BIO: 20 (88.0)
GC: 21 (87.0)
OC: 27 (98.7)
TS: 22 (95.6)
AA: 21 (93.4)

Basically, there are three words which describe how I fell. Exhausted, Relieved, Ambitious. Exhausted for the 7-8 weeks of studying, relieved for finally being done with it and never having to look back, and ambitious to move on.

Background:
-BIO major (GPA - 3.2 overall/3.2 sci) - Rough first year or so, young/stupid, you know how it goes nonetheless picked it up significantly few years.

-MASTERS Biomedical Engineering (GPA - currently: 3.6) - expected 2014

-Lots of shadowing hours 3/4 different dentists, few hundred hours, volunteer hours, etc.

Applied in 2011 to my state schools (late november) and 2012 - state and couple nearby (third batch). No Interviews, so of course no acceptance. I knew what was hurting me was my RC score being significantly low. At the time I didn't want to go through the process again, this is why I tried again in 2012 making sure I was early. Nonetheless I'm not saying it isn't possible to have a low RC score and get an interview but at least with me, nothing. Moving on, I finally built got the courage to just tough it out and go for it again. So for 7-8 weeks I did just that. Studied anywhere from 6-12 hours a day. Mind you, what I do in 10 hours, can be done in 5. All my closest buddies all go to school/study so essentially its like we are hanging out and studying together, this way we don't fall too much into depression. Regardless, I got work done. Last few weeks is when I kicked it up a notch. Hardcore sacrificing, hardcore studying. I knew my butt was on the line and you need to understand that this is your future, and you are the product of your decisions. Make the right decisions, sacrifice a bit, and you will get more in return than what you ask for. I don't believe I am smart in anyway, I do know that when it comes down to it, my determination is unbreakable and I put my a** to work. Thats for sure. And one more thing, don't be hesitant if you need a day off. I'd take a day off every now and then and enjoy myself. If you don't you will lose your sanity.

Finally - the breaking it down:

PAT: From reading all the forums, I thought this part was going to blow me out the water. Everybody made it seem so much harder than what it was but to be frank, it is not. The screen is bigger, the images are clear, and it just seemed so much simpler. I purchased CDP back in 2011, did about 8 tests. First few tests I didn't time myself until I got the hang of it. Then starting timing myself at about 4. It clicked at 5 but I never got over a 21 so was happy to see a 22. Similar to CDP and easier than achiever, much easier.
Just a few methods:
Angles - I usually look and see if I can spot the smallest one WITHOUT a doubt. If you can, this will more than likely narrow it down to two. Then I compare the two answers, look at what they have different (usually the last which is the biggest angle) and find my answer from there. If you can spot the smallest due to difficulty, so go to the largest angle of every answer and compare those. Narrow it down. Then compare the smallest with the narrowed down, then more than likely you have your answer.
Hole punches - draw a box, draw lines to make 16 smaller boxes, then go from there. It was pretty simple on the actual DAT. Couple have punches, no thirds.
TFE - easier than I've seen on CDP and achiever
CUBES - I make a long list starting with the first cube and count by rows so I don't lose track. I make ONE list of all the painted faces:
EX:
Then I just go through the list and cross out all the 2's if asked for 2's and what not.
Folding - was ******ed. Enough said. Pretty difficult I remember, so gl lol.

QR: Math destroyer, first 7 tests. Chad's videos. I was fairly descent in regards to math so wasn't too worried. I watched chad's videos, and did a practice test every few days. Very very easy on the actual DAT. I would of gotten much higher but just ran out of time, I was exhausted and ready to go. But very easy.

RC: My nightmare. My only concern. First time I took my DAT didn't practice. BIG MISTAKE. It's not really that you can practice and be a better reader, its practicing your timing and how you are going to attack the passage/questions. You cannot make yourself a better reader in a month, maybe a bit, but come on, you want to focus on other subjects. By buying three practice test achievers, I was able to figure out how I wanted to do this. The passages were MUCH easier than achiever. Only about 13 paragraphs each. What I did, and I recommend you guys try it. If there were 13 paragraphs, I numbered one through 13. READ THE PASSAGE, ITS NOT THAT BAD. Takes about 8 min, TRUST ME READ IT. whatever the paragraph was talking about, and its obvious, usually focuses one just ONE thing, write it down next to the corresponding number. When I got to the questions, seen what they are asking, looked at my list, found it went to the passage and BOOM, right there. Worked great. Couldn't really practice this with achiever, passages are too long and difficult. But use it as back up if you have too. Works great. RC on actual DAT much easier than achiever.

BIO: Read cliffs throughout the second half of my schedule. A chapter every day or other day. Great read. I read somewhere that someone was saying DO NOT focus on the small details, and he/she is especially right. Don't do that to yourself. IT WILL drive you crazy because you WILL forget 30 seconds later. And if it something you will forget 30 seconds later, don't bother at the moment. Read cliffs, if you can read it twice. I wish I would of did that. The day of, yes the day of, I don't take breaks lol, I read the 'scsc' Alan bio notes. THANK GOD I did. My exam was at 430 pm so had the time do so. Ran through it real quick and I'm happy I did. Those notes are unbelievable. Also did DAT destroyer bio first half of studying , isn't too bad, probably forgot a lot of it. But cliffs and those bio notes are suffice. More than you need.

GC/OC - Without a doubt in my heart CHAD'S VIDOES. WIthout a doubt. Went through his videos twice. First half of studying, and couple weeks prior to my exam. To be frank, was kind of disappointed of my GC score, thought it would like OC but I ain't complaining. CHADs videos cannot stress them more. DId all his quizzes the day before which I recommend helps solidify everything and any tricks that may arise. DESTROYER is a great tool. Went through it almost three times. Kept track of my answers to see if I was improving and to see if the same questions I was getting wrong and to make sure I understood why. Studied every question. These two sections were easy on the DAT. VERY VERY easy as long as you know your material.

Achiever: So dam hard, its unfair. Don't let it discourage you. Its known to be much harder, and thats good, the practice is better.
My scores:
P/Q/RC/BI/G/OC/TS/AA
#1: 16/15/15/17/17/17/17/16
#2: 17/18/17/16/16/16/16/16
#3: 17/20/14/17/19/17/18/17

So there are a few point difference between them which is a big difference, so I guess expect that.
DAT Bootcamp: Only did one test GC (Believe 21 or 24) and one OC (28) so very reflective of actual. Unfortunately I realized this existed very recently so it was too light, actually kind of the day before my exam. Wish I would've knew of it. THese people need recognition, just from doing the first couple tests, I could tell it was a great tool, and maybe a tiny bit more difficult than the actual.

In conclusion, I know I can never pay back SDN for its help/support. This is truly the most important source for you DAT, the MOST IMPORTANT, #1.
I would just say, stay focused, stay determined, if you did bad the first time, don't give up, go at it again, you need to prove it to yourself. I wish everyone the best, and good fate this year!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Congrats those are great scores! I have a question could you use the line counting method on the TFE? I think a lot of people say TFE on the real PAT is a lot harder because the questions are set up so you can't use line counting; but actually visualizing the object is the same as CDP. I'm hoping this is the case because I can visualize the CDP TFE questions but not the achiever questions, those are SO HARD!!!

Congrats those are great scores! I have a question could you use the line counting method on the TFE? I think a lot of people say TFE on the real PAT is a lot harder because the questions are set up so you can't use line counting; but actually visualizing the object is the same as CDP. I'm hoping this is the case because I can visualize the CDP TFE questions but not the achiever questions, those are SO HARD!!!

Thank you. Yes, forgot to mention that. I used the line counting method the first time around and it failed miserably while I was taking it. I don't think it is sufficient to rely on that method. I personally didn't even try it this time because through practice I became very good with visualizing the object and I believe it is imperative to take this approach. Its hard at first, but with practice you can successfully get your answer within 20-30 seconds. Visualize all the way.