DAT complaints

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
W

Woodsy

I'm gonna get flammed but I have to do this...I'm sorry...

Oh man it is digusting to see people talk smack about acing the DATS before they even take it. Like I mean it's ok if you aren't sure what you need to get on the DATS and wonder if you have a chance if you do well. But those people who are like "I have a 3.0 GPA and I'm planning to do well on my DATs,"... Take it first then talk.

You're SUPPOSED TO plan to do well on the DAT. That's like common sense. It's like saying and I quote Chris Rock "I take care of my kids," or "I ain't ever been to jail." Like who in the right mind that wants to pursue dentistry would not want to do well on the DAT???

Another thing is that people rely so much on their DAT to make up for bad marks. Yo just take more courses or something. Try to have an upper year trend of improving marks. Marks do matter! Not to discourage anyone but some of you who have had bad marks but do well on the DAT means that you were probably slacking in undergrad, that's cool. But to the people who have under 3.0 (except those who have had an upward trend of improvement i.e. you got like a 1.0 GPA in first year but 3.8 + in your upper years) and tried...you better do well on the DAT if you even want to be considered. You gotta be realistic with yourself sometimes.

Like the people who got in somewhere in the Under 3.0 club, had great DAT scores. Don't expect to get in if your GPA is under 3.0 and you have par to subpar DAT scores.. you have no chance in hell.

Now my second beef goes out to my brothers and sisters with good GPAs. Don't get cocky. Make sure you do well on your dats. Do that and you will most likely get in unless you're an idiot that can't speak or interact with people. People with good GPA's are at a HUGE advantage especially in the later rounds of the admissions cycle. But you gotta still make sure you do well on the DAT.

I'm sorry folks, I just had to blow off some steam and frustration with certain people who ask bull**** questions.

Members don't see this ad.

Sometimes, people just want to see if there is an easy way out. In regards to the DAT, I don't think there are many. You pretty much have to work hard to get high DAT scores. In regards to the people who are unrealistic or arrogant or misinformed, I try not to let it bother me too much. Hopefully some of the things said on this forum will help them find their way.

On a side note, I always wondered whether having a high GPA and a low DAT would reflect more poorly on an individual than if that person had better than average GPA and DAT. In other words, could a low DAT score discredit a high GPA or discredit the undergraduate institution?

HBomb.

I think it really depends on the school. Some school stress DAT's, some stress GPA and others want high scores in both. I have friends who have high GPA's and low dat's, and they got into some schools and got denied at others. I also know people and as we see from this forum, there are many with low GPA's but 20+ DAT's and they too got into some schools. So it really depends on the school and some of the extra carricular stuff you do (although i beleive that good enough scores will get u in alone).

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by Woodsy

Not to discourage anyone but some of you who have had bad marks but do well on the DAT means that you were probably slacking in undergrad, that's cool.

That's a pretty ignorant statement. You are making the assumption that someone who fails to earn a good gpa did so because they are lazy. You have no idea why people achieve what they do. Maybe they worked full-time to support themselves and carried a full courseload. Maybe they raised a child while in school. Maybe they had personal/family problems and pushed through school instead. Honestly, some of your posts on here are just downright stupid.

And OBVIOUSLY everyone "plans" to do well on the DAT. What people with low a gpa probably mean is that they will probably be doing a lot more preparation than someone who has a high-range gpa. They probably will do so because they need to make up for a low gpa. You will rarely ever find the perfect, well-rounded applicant. Everyone will be lacking in some area, whether it's academic or personally.

Originally posted by DcS
That's a pretty ignorant statement. You are making the assumption that someone who fails to earn a good gpa did so because they are lazy. You have no idea why people achieve what they do. Maybe they worked full-time to support themselves and carried a full courseload. Maybe they raised a child while in school. Maybe they had personal/family problems and pushed through school instead. Honestly, some of your posts on here are just downright stupid.

And OBVIOUSLY everyone "plans" to do well on the DAT. What people with low a gpa probably mean is that they will probably be doing a lot more preparation than someone who has a high-range gpa. They probably will do so because they need to make up for a low gpa. You will rarely ever find the perfect, well-rounded applicant. Everyone will be lacking in some area, whether it's academic or personally.

That's why I said some not all. You are telling me that everyone who has a low GPA did not slack off a bit? You're telling me that everyone with a bad GPA had to work fulltime? What about those who get good grades that work fulltime? May be may be may be. I'm just saying what IS. It is true though. Some people have bad grades and did well on the DAT because they might have been lazy in undergrad. And that's cool if they can improve themselves and study for the DAT and do well. That was my point. If you are able to to do well on the DAT, yet did bad in school, may be it is because you were slacking. Hence I said some not all. Hey did you take the DAT yet? May be you want to improve your reading comprehension before you take the DAT.
Some of your posts are downright stupid.. please buddy who are you to judge me specifically? You're ignorant for posting such an attack on me.

What qualifications do you have to judge me (don't give me that opinion bull**** coz it means jack**** to me)? Are you even in dental school yet?

Think before you start insulting a person specifically. What are you trying to defend or prove to me? I was merely making a statement of how I feel, seems as though you're getting all defensive and ****. If you can't post in a civil manner without calling someone downright stupid, then may be you shouldn't even bother posting.

That's why I said some not all. You are telling me that everyone who has a low GPA did not slack off a bit? You're telling me that everyone with a bad GPA had to work fulltime? What about those who get good grades that work fulltime? May be may be may be. I'm just saying what IS. It is true though. Some people have bad grades and did well on the DAT because they might have been lazy in undergrad. And that's cool if they can improve themselves and study for the DAT and do well. That was my point. If you are able to to do well on the DAT, yet did bad in school, may be it is because you were slacking. Hence I said some not all. Hey did you take the DAT yet? May be you want to improve your reading comprehension before you take the DAT.
Some of your posts are downright stupid.. please buddy who are you to judge me specifically? You're ignorant for posting such an attack on me.

What qualifications do you have to judge me (don't give me that opinion bull**** coz it means jack**** to me)? Are you even in dental school yet?

Think before you start insulting a person specifically. What are you trying to defend or prove to me? I was merely making a statement of how I feel, seems as though you're getting all defensive and ****. If you can't post in a civil manner without calling someone downright stupid, then may be you shouldn't even bother posting.
Buddy, you seriously need to cool off. I don't know what you're so pissed off about, but this thread looks like a running temper tantrum.

i'm sorry Bill you feel this way. BUT DCS deserved it!

I WILL STAND BY MY WORDS!

Originally posted by aphistis
Buddy, you seriously need to cool off. I don't know what you're so pissed off about, but this thread looks like a running temper tantrum.
OK, it looks like some people need to be told explicitly, so here it is, once and for all.

[size=+1]When you insult somebody's post, you are insulting that person.[/size]

Plain and simple. That's what people get pissed off about.

I'll say it again, for those who may be a bit thicker of skull.

[size=+1]Insulting someone's post IS an ad hominem attack.[/size]

Note the wording in the infamous Forum Etiquette Sticky:

Originally posted by Henna
10. "Flaming" is insulting another user's post, opinions, subject, grammar or pretty much anything else in an attempt to pick an online fight. "Slamming" is making offensive, condescending or insulting comments about a user in order to pick an online fight. Flaming and Slamming messages are not welcome. Disagreements are fine. Flaming is not.

[size=+1]Now, EVERYONE, just GROW UP![/size] :rolleyes:

...Please?

Originally posted by trypmo
OK, it looks like some people need to be told explicitly, so here it is, once and for all.

...Please?
Thank you for singling me out for an attack on manners. It's much appreciated. If you think my response was out of line, take a stroll to the FMG thread on the general residency board. I happen to believe my remarks were pretty mild.

Originally posted by trypmo

...Please?

Thank you for enlightening me with your wisdom. I am eternally grateful. You have shown me the light in the path of darkness. I was lost but now I am found. WOW! I have never been this clear in my life! Thank you Trypmo for making my day.

Being the King of all Members i command you all to stop hence foward!

Well King of all Members, I'm the Champion of Champions, you can't just command me to stop. If not I'd start a rebellion and overthrow you.

Well King of all Members, I'm the Champion of Champions, you can't just command me to stop. If not I'd start a rebellion and overthrow you.

Sounds like there is already a rebellion in this thread, i was just trying to smooth it over.

The responses in this thread are not flaming. Flaming would be coming in, saying "i hate you, you're wrong blah blah blah for no reason". I made legitimate points in my post about why people might have a lower gpa.

And as far as my qualification, I am a 2nd year dental student in the top 10% of my class. I was one of those students who had a lower gpa and did well enough on my dat to get me where i wanted to be. My gpa wasn't what I wanted for personal reasons, not "slacking". Get over yourself.

I've contributed more than anybody on this board, and I've also been ripped on more than anybody on this board.

Thus, I'm led to believe that flaming and number of posts go hand in hand.

I think it works out to be one flame per every 16 posts, and one comment about how I don't know how to raise a family per every 23 posts, along with one "F-off" every 29 posts.

You all really should see my inbox.

Originally posted by DcS
The responses in this thread are not flaming. Flaming would be coming in, saying "i hate you, you're wrong blah blah blah for no reason". I made legitimate points in my post about why people might have a lower gpa.

And as far as my qualification, I am a 2nd year dental student in the top 10% of my class. I was one of those students who had a lower gpa and did well enough on my dat to get me where i wanted to be. My gpa wasn't what I wanted for personal reasons, not "slacking". Get over yourself.

Did I say you were slacking? No. Second year dental student supposedly top 10% of the class and still can't read. What a shame. Why don't you just do the forum a favour and shut the hell up? Thanks much appreciated.

Hey Jaap, that's great buddy. I'm glad you are where you wanted to be. Great comment though. Thanks for nothing...dingus!

Jrogoff - It's cool man, I was just joking around with ya. No harm intended.

Anyone else wanna take a shot at me?

Come at me bitches, I don't care if I get kicked off this forum.

GavinC, you're jokes buddy!

WOW,

Ok!

First of all, some, if not the majority, of EVERYONE's posts here are down right stupid.

Second, Gavin, your theory is BS. Getting roasted has got nothing to do with the number of your posts, its got everything to do with what you say in them.

Third, according to the SDN constitution, if there is a conflict between the "King of all Members" and the "Champion of Champions" all power will be immediately transferred to the "future NYC taxi driver". So now that I have complete control, I order an end to this nonsense. Actually, I take that back, keep it up, its kind of fun to see some post wars.

Status
Not open for further replies.