DAT Destroyer, Achiever, Kaplan, or Topscore??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

How Sleepy??!!

Organic God's Apprentice
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I am a newcomer to this DAT forum and I will be taking my DAT in the very near future. As a new member, I have found myself browsing through numerous discussions about the usefulness of various DAT study guides - Kaplan, Topscore, Achiever, and Dat Destroyer - and I couldn't help but notice all the ambivalence on the issue. The struggle for acceptance into dental school is rigorous enough without these complications, and I will take this opportunity to clarify a few things, if I may. For those of you who simply "aren't sure what to think anymore," and for those of you who want to know the REAL story behind these study guides, here is the deal from an ordinary pre-dental student such as yourself.
On the lower end of the study guide spectrum lies the Achiever and Topscore. Yes, if you are looking for a "feel good" study guide that will convince you that you're ready, then those are the right books for you. The questions are simple, fundamental, and as basic as possible. Slightly higher lies the Kaplan crew. Their study guides are more broad and are satisfactory. If you know the Kaplan book inside and out, you will probably do fine on the DAT. And then comes the blockbuster, the book that far surpasses all the above, the DAT Destoyer. It is undoubtedly the most comprehensive book in DAT preparation. It is your key to dental school, your door to success, and your secret to scholarships. It covers every science question you will need to ace the DAT, it provides the reader with detailed answers, and it is truly a masterpiece. Additonally, (aside from the Destroyer's incredible depth), is the creator of the book, Dr. Jim Romano. Even greater than his scientific brilliance, is his intense dedication and commitment to all of his students. After you buy the Kaplan book, you can't quite call up Mr. Kaplan to ask him questions, could you?? But with Dr. Romano, you could. He lends a whole new meaning to the field of DAT preparation, and I can tell you that from firshand experience. For anyone interested in exceeding your expectations on the DAT and getting accepted to the schools of your choice, the DAT Destroyer is the only way to go. I wish you all the best of luck in your decisions and your studying. Looking forward to hearing back from you guys.

Doc, you are truly the best!!! ;) Have a nice weekend.

Members don't see this ad.

How Sleepy??!! said:
Hey everyone, I am a newcomer to this DAT forum and I will be taking my DAT in the very near future. As a new member, I have found myself browsing through numerous discussions about the usefulness of various DAT study guides - Kaplan, Topscore, Achiever, and Dat Destroyer - and I couldn't help but notice all the ambivalence on the issue. The struggle for acceptance into dental school is rigorous enough without these complications, and I will take this opportunity to clarify a few things, if I may. For those of you who simply "aren't sure what to think anymore," and for those of you who want to know the REAL story behind these study guides, here is the deal from an ordinary pre-dental student such as yourself.
On the lower end of the study guide spectrum lies the Achiever and Topscore. Yes, if you are looking for a "feel good" study guide that will convince you that you're ready, then those are the right books for you. The questions are simple, fundamental, and as basic as possible. Slightly higher lies the Kaplan crew. Their study guides are more broad and are satisfactory. If you know the Kaplan book inside and out, you will probably do fine on the DAT. And then comes the blockbuster, the book that far surpasses all the above, the DAT Destoyer. It is undoubtedly the most comprehensive book in DAT preparation. It is your key to dental school, your door to success, and your secret to scholarships. It covers every science question you will need to ace the DAT, it provides the reader with detailed answers, and it is truly a masterpiece. Additonally, (aside from the Destroyer's incredible depth), is the creator of the book, Dr. Jim Romano. Even greater than his scientific brilliance, is his intense dedication and commitment to all of his students. After you buy the Kaplan book, you can't quite call up Mr. Kaplan to ask him questions, could you?? But with Dr. Romano, you could. He lends a whole new meaning to the field of DAT preparation, and I can tell you that from firshand experience. For anyone interested in exceeding your expectations on the DAT and getting accepted to the schools of your choice, the DAT Destroyer is the only way to go. I wish you all the best of luck in your decisions and your studying. Looking forward to hearing back from you guys.

Doc, you are truly the best!!! ;) Have a nice weekend.

DAT destroyer sucks. Booo!!!!!!!! :thumbdown:

dude, i don't know the first thing about how effective the dat destroyer actually is, but if it is as effective as this shotty SDN marketing ploys then i'm guessing it is not very good... there is not study guide that can replace hard work and using ALL the resources... text, practice exams, study guides, etc.

go home junior,
WS :)

Members don't see this ad :)
beastly115 said:
Has anyone else noticed that the people promoting DAT Destroyer haven't even taken the DAT yet?

yes.

and DAT DESTROYER doesn't come with a book to review, so if you rely on it you will never get a score higher than a 15 in the real dat.

issa said:
yes.

and DAT DESTROYER doesn't come with a book to review, so if you rely on it you will never get a score higher than a 15 in the real dat.

Could you please backup your statement with any sort of facts? Not sure how you could know this. I would personally love to get my hands on the Dat Destroyer. But what helps for one may not be the best for others. From what I've heard on this board though, he does stand behind his product and it does seem worth it if nothing more than to make people realize what areas they are weak on. Seems like this is where we all want to get, right? Best of luck to everyone! :)

issa said:
yes.

This is Nancy Steen, co-owner, of orgoman.com. To clarify things DAT Destroyer is a book so I am not sure what you meant by your post. it is almost 500 pages of questions and detailed solutions all created by Dr. Romano after over 2 years of hard work along with his 20 plus years working with students. We welcome calls from our students from online and our classroom. If you doubt our integrity or materials, why not take the time to call us. We are on your side and not the enemy. Dr. Romano spends what little free time he has helping students here on SDN, answering questions on the board and calling students.

nancy

Ok, in response to all the above...

First off, I am not receiving anything in return for my post - that is a fact. Second, for those of you who are skepticle, I fully understand your concerns. However, it is simply wrong and unethical to discount the DAT destroyer without giving it a fair shot. I find it unfortunate that your key to dental school is right in front of your eyes and yet, many of you are too supercilious to give a new product the chance to prove itself. Again, I speak from firsthand experience when I say that the DESTROYER's material is unparalleled among DAT preparation guides. Additionally, regarding the post that I didn't take my DAT yet, I can see your concerns but I assure you that I am striving for high 20's - and will likely achieve my goals. For those of you who will persist on being skepticle, it is truly unfortunate. For those of you who are willing to be a little open minded, make the right choice and get yourself the DAT Destroyer. I assure you, you will not be disappointed. Again, I don't work for Dr. Romano - I am on your team and I want the best for all of us.

Orgoman General Chemistry contains 140 problems for $50
Orgoman Biology masters a captures 147 problems for another $50
Orgoman Organic Chemistry is a work of 118 questions for another and another $50
if i rely on these questions and take the dat i will not get a high score in the science sections. these are just questions not a review book like kaplan.

the best material to study for the dat is kaplan. the subject tests are free on sdn and the review book is less than 30$. at least they have a 90 day money back guaranteed. dat destroyer is just an extra practice which is not bad to get. the more practice questions we do the better.

issa said:
Orgoman General Chemistry contains 140 problems for $50
Orgoman Biology masters a captures 147 problems for another $50
Orgoman Organic Chemistry is a work of 118 questions for another and another $50
if i rely on these questions and take the dat i will not get a high score in the science sections. these are just questions not a review book like kaplan.

While your argument seems plausible at first glance, I can tell you there is nothing to be concerned about. The questions were specifically designed to probe you in ALL the areas of chemistry, organic, and biology that the DAT can possibly ask. The solutions to the questions explain the wrong answers in great detail. I assure you that the Destroyer contains more facts and information than all it's competitors - it is simply a different style of studying. If you know the Destroyer's questions and solutions inside and out, there is absolutely no way you won't achieve 20's - in your sciences at least. I understand your predisposition to the fact that it is just a question book, but in all honesty it is SO MUCH more than that. It will provide you with the most efficient and thorough DAT preparation possible (if you read both questions and solutions), and I highly recommend it to the serious student. Go for it!! :thumbup:

How Sleepy??!! said:
While your argument seems plausible at first glance, I can tell you there is nothing to be concerned about. The questions were specifically designed to probe you in ALL the areas of chemistry, organic, and biology that the DAT can possibly ask. The solutions to the questions explain the wrong answers in great detail. I assure you that the Destroyer contains more facts and information than all it's competitors - it is simply a different style of studying. If you know the Destroyer's questions and solutions inside and out, there is absolutely no way you won't achieve 20's - in your sciences at least. I understand your predisposition to the fact that it is just a question book, but in all honesty it is SO MUCH more than that. It will provide you with the most efficient and thorough DAT preparation possible (if you read both questions and solutions), and I highly recommend it to the serious student. Go for it!! :thumbup:

DR ROMANO

GIVE IT A REST!
UR PRODUCT IS CRAP!!
EVERY WEEK U OR UR MARKETING IS FLOODING SDN WITH THESE OUTRAGEOUS POSTS!

I NEVER USED DAT DESTROYER BUT A COUPLE OF MY STUDENTS AT THE PRE-DENTAL CLUB ON CAMPUS WERE FOOLED INTO BUYING IT AND THEY FELT IT WAS A COMPLETE WASTE OF MONEY.

I SCORED IN THE 100TH PERCENTILE TOTAL SCIENCES 99.9 ACADEMIC AVERAGE AND NEVER LOOKED AT DESTROYER. ALL U NEED IS KAPLAN, TOPSCORE, AND UR TEXTBOOKS FROM COLLEGE...
DESTROYER IS A JOKE....GIVE IT A REST...GO PRACTICE DENTISTRY STOP WASTING THESE STUDENTS' TIME.

ROMANO :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:
OH AND PLEASE DONT PM ME, AND SAY THAT "THIS BEHAVIOR IS NOT BECOMING OF A FUTURE DENTIST...BLAH BLAH ...."

those of us who could afford DAT destroyer have given it a fair shot on SDN. There have been a couple threads where people who have used destroyer posted their feelings about it, and I'm not talking about threads like this. Threads started by very active SDN members who have been posting quite some time and gave more thorough evaluations of their thoughts on DAT destroyer. These are people I'd more willingly trust with an opinion because I've seen their name and their conversations on SDN for a while.

All that I'm tired of is this insanely large number of people who have 1, sometimes two, but usually less than 10 posts on SDN who suddenly appear and espouse the virtues of DAT destroyer over all other study materials. I don't care whether you are a real Predent student or just someone creating accounts to sell a product...it's just fishy after a while how many of these there are.

Members don't see this ad :)
i actually purchased destroyer. I haven't used it yet thought because im busy with kaplan and top score at the moment. After reviewing my material more thorougly ill start DAT destroyer and let you guys know how I feel about it after completing it (give me a month).

djeffreyt said:
those of us who could afford DAT destroyer have given it a fair shot on SDN. There have been a couple threads where people who have used destroyer posted their feelings about it, and I'm not talking about threads like this. Threads started by very active SDN members who have been posting quite some time and gave more thorough evaluations of their thoughts on DAT destroyer. These are people I'd more willingly trust with an opinion because I've seen their name and their conversations on SDN for a while.

All that I'm tired of is this insanely large number of people who have 1, sometimes two, but usually less than 10 posts on SDN who suddenly appear and espouse the virtues of DAT destroyer over all other study materials. I don't care whether you are a real Predent student or just someone creating accounts to sell a product...it's just fishy after a while how many of these there are.

AMEN

it's pretty funny..that whenever i hear ppl talk bout DAT destroyer.. its ONE BIG ADVERTISMENT. serioulsy.. they always include "Dr. Romano"...

in realistic terms.. i definitly think this is necessary.... STOP ADVERTISING here! it's really pissin me off.. i could care less bout DAT destroyer...

btw topscore and achiever are not books..they are practice exams..theydon't claim to be books..and they clearly state to use other study guides along with it... and I think only topscore was sufficient...
so stfu DAT destroyer advertisers.. ur cloggin up SDN forums..

rchuloholla said:
btw topscore and achiever are not books..they are practice exams..theydon't claim to be books..and they clearly state to use other study guides along with it... and I think only topscore was sufficient...
so stfu DAT destroyer advertisers.. ur cloggin up SDN forums..

take that, dr romano

Listen guys and gals, I have been on these forums for a while now. I have posted my comments about DAT destroyer because, like I have said so many times over I think it is good stuff. I also think Topscore, Achiever, and Kaplan are also great. Honestly, I feel that all four of these resources are different and unique in their own way. When studying to take one of the biggest tests of your life I feel it is best to be well prepared. Well prepared in my opinion is using information from many different sources. Some of you guys and gals really crack me up.

RockstarDMD said:
Listen guys and gals, I have been on these forums for a while now. I have posted my comments about DAT destroyer because, like I have said so many times over I think it is good stuff. I also think Topscore, Achiever, and Kaplan are also great. Honestly, I feel that all four of these resources are different and unique in their own way. When studying to take one of the biggest tests of your life I feel it is best to be well prepared. Well prepared in my opinion is using information from many different sources. Some of you guys and gals really crack me up.

well put!

I took the Kaplan course, and also used TopScore and The KSF Review in the past few weeks, and I've got something useful from all three. If someone else has used the DAT dstroyer please post your opinion here for the rest of us to read.

I don't think most of the SDNers would even make such a big deal about DAT Destroyer or Dr. Romano if it weren't for "how" all all the posters advertise it. Whenever Topscore, Shaum's, DAT Achiever, Kaplan, or Campbell's are mentioned as good tools, there's no reason to question it. The usefulness of these products seem genuine. But when DAT Destroyer is mentioned, posters are shamelessly promoting it like no one should buy anything else, and that it's a sure fire way to get a perfect score. When these other DAT materials are mentioned, they're usually mentioned in other threads where people discuss what materials were useful after they've taken a test, while Destroyer is simply advertised in its own post, like it's supposed to convince us to buy it or something. Heck, I may have looked at Destroyer reading most of these posts, because the truth is that looking at lots of sample problems can only help on the DAT, but many of us just get sour to the way Destroyer is being promoted on this site. Ok, my rant is done

thehipster said:
I don't think most of the SDNers would even make such a big deal about DAT Destroyer or Dr. Romano if it weren't for "how" all all the posters advertise it. Whenever Topscore, Shaum's, DAT Achiever, Kaplan, or Campbell's are mentioned as good tools, there's no reason to question it. The usefulness of these products seem genuine. But when DAT Destroyer is mentioned, posters are shamelessly promoting it like no one should buy anything else, and that it's a sure fire way to get a perfect score. When these other DAT materials are mentioned, they're usually mentioned in other threads where people discuss what materials were useful after they've taken a test, while Destroyer is simply advertised in its own post, like it's supposed to convince us to buy it or something. Heck, I may have looked at Destroyer reading most of these posts, because the truth is that looking at lots of sample problems can only help on the DAT, but many of us just get sour to the way Destroyer is being promoted on this site. Ok, my rant is done

agreed! :thumbup:

let the product speak for itself. and if you want to promote it, for God's sake, don't start threads dedicated to it. it is clear that you have other motives which in turn are killing your "reputation"!

I finally finished doing all the destroyer problems.
And here's my 2 cent:

G chem: I think destroyer is very helpful in G chem. Explanations were fabolous and the problems looked like they would show up on the real DAT. Not too hard, not too easy. I'd give it a 9/10.

O chem: LOL these are the most insane problems ever. I would probably get a 13 if O chem problems on the real DAT were like this. On a side note, I just took my Kaplan final and got a 28 on the O chem section. Overall, I'd give it a 2/10.

Bio: It was decent. But then again you never what to expect for this section on the DAT. I'd give it a 7/10.

Pricing: O man....should we even go there?

Alright ya'll thats all I got.

whiskeysour said:
agreed! :thumbup:

let the product speak for itself. and if you want to promote it, for God's sake, don't start threads dedicated to it. it is clear that you have other motives which in turn are killing your "reputation"!

It's true. I'm not necessarily one to mind some BS every now and then, but even I now roll my eyes every time I see one of those DAT Destroyer promos. I'm not saying the book is crap, but it does insult my intellegence when someone who hasn't even taken the DAT swears by this study guide. I also fear that what started for Dr. Romano as a potentially good marketing strategy has horribly turned against him and made all of us agitated at the mear mention of the Destroyer.

Quite frankly, its triple the price of its competitor study aids. If you wanna promote something like this to students who, as well all know, are probably on a tight budget you should do it in a way that people will respect. For example, maybe AFTER posters take the DAT and rock it they should then say this is thanks to Dr. Romano. It is a little inconsiderate to expect us to spend our scarce financial resources on something that seems thus far rather unvalidated.

I am not saying the Destoyer is a bad study tool bc I haven't even seen it, but I think Dr. Romano has managed to insult many SDNers and I actually think it would be wise to set some sort of regulation against unapproved marketing on the forums. This is not a caravan. Students earnestly partake in the forum to better their educational experience.

kkumalap said:
I finally finished doing all the destroyer problems.
And here's my 2 cent:

G chem: I think destroyer is very helpful in G chem. Explanations were fabolous and the problems looked like they would show up on the real DAT. Not too hard, not too easy. I'd give it a 9/10.

O chem: LOL these are the most insane problems ever. I would probably get a 13 if O chem problems on the real DAT were like this. On a side note, I just took my Kaplan final and got a 28 on the O chem section. Overall, I'd give it a 2/10.

Bio: It was decent. But then again you never what to expect for this section on the DAT. I'd give it a 7/10.

Pricing: O man....should we even go there?

Alright ya'll thats all I got.

I got DAT destroyer book for free, so if you don't like the price...I don't know.
Maybe I was just lucky to get it for free.

In my opinion, DAT destroyer is about 5~10 times harder than Kaplan Blue book.

Kaplan blue book has so many diff chapters to go over before you take the practice test. DAT destroyer doesn't have any chapters to teach you. The first page starts with practice problem. So...if you are like me, I can't even solve a single problem in that book. Not just because it's 5~10 times harder than Kaplan blue book , but also I have no idea what i need to study to solve this problem.

1 good thing though, is that answer sheet explains everything in detail. What this book does is that it skips the chapter sections that teach u and let u take the exam, but it gives u the exam first and teach you with the answer.

""I don't know which is a better way to learn.""

but here is what i can say for sure.
you can't start with DAT destroyer. Start with easy guide books like Kaplan blue book. But if you are not sure whether u r ready to take DAT or not, take DAT destroyer. I believe it is even harder than actual DAT. and if you don't know how to solve the problems, read the answer+explanation.

How did you get it for free??? thanks!

He apparently gives it out to people for free after they sign a contract in blood that they will promote it from that day forward until the day they die.

I think I should clarify that I'm kidding before I get mobbed by the Achiever advertising fan club.

For those of you who doubt the effectiveness of Destroyer, you should buy the book and see it for yourself. If you do not have the book, dont sit there and talk badly about it or the author Dr. Romano. I have taken my DAT using the Destroyer and I did VERY well in the sciences. The book preps you with understanding NOT content. If you understand the concepts in Destroyer you are in my opinion ready for whatever the DAT throws at you. I think the personal help and feedback from Dr. Romano is priceless. When was the last time you got stuck on a Kaplan question or Topscore question and was able to contact the author andhave him explain it to you? Thank you! Then dont sit here and back on destroyer. Give it a chance! It truly truly is an amazing product and Dr. ROmano and NAncy are great people. :)

I didn't use DAT Destroyer for the DAT. However, I used Kaplan, DAT achiever, and Topscore. All I can say is I did well with these materials (Kap, Achiever, and Topscore) with 20+ on all sections and 23+ on the AA and TS.

I wouldn't say I nailed the DAT AA or TS. I did not get something like 26 or 28 or even 30 like many who used Destroyer said they did. I wouldn't say that these scores aren't credible but note that AADSAS publishes stats (bit dated, though, for 2004) (also search the Predent forum, we have a thread on this topic) and 26+ are very difficult to achieve indeed. These scores are in the 99.9th percentile or higher (I know b/c my scores are in the 99.5th percentile). In fact, if I remember, someone mentioned that only one person in that publishing achieved a 28 (for either AA or TS) and no one got a 30 on the PAT. If Destroyer is capable increasing your score that much, like many here said they have achieved, then I would say go for it--definitely worth the $$$.

Once again, I used Kaplan, DAT achiever and Topscore. I can't comment on the effectiveness of Destroyer, not having used it. However, you can score decently well with the three materials I used if you are disciplined enough and study hard for about 2 months.

He apparently gives it out to people for free after they sign a contract in blood that they will promote it from that day forward until the day they die.

I think I should clarify that I'm kidding before I get mobbed by the Achiever advertising fan club.

I just think its funny that people assume that the majority of people who thank Dr.Romano for helping them out...are trolls. Many of us(lifeisgood,myself,rockstar,indie) have tons of posts(clearly NOT trolls), help out other people with their DAT questions,and were just fortunate enough to have positively benefitted from Destroyer. I understand that people posting ridiculous DAT scores and then claiming that Destroyer is the sole reason they did well is hard to believe(hell, even I dont believe half of what I read on here).....but if you know your ****,then you know your ****...Destroyer or not. It just happens to be the best way to ensure that you wont get tripped up by any of the sneaky mistakes the DAT people love to throw in there. Having met Dr.Romano&Nancy in real life, I can assure you that they are two of the nicest,most genuine individuals I've come across during this process----did YOUR kaplan teacher pick up your frantic phone call at 7AM the morning of your test? I think not.

hey guys, I'm not trying to sell anything, but I was wondering if anyone has and can exchange Destroyer for my MCAT Audio Osmosis. Let me know pls. Or PM me. Thanks!

I recommend Kaplan, then Topscore Pro when you have mastered or exhausted Kaplan.

Destroyer didn't show me anything I didn't already have. & yes, Ams isn't a troll. But there sure are a ton of 1 post SDNers coming out of nowhere to pimp Nancy and Ramono.

It is fishy.............................................

I understand that it looks fishy,and that many people have done very well without Destroyer...but that doesnt take away from its amazingness,or the fact that Dr.Romano and Nancy are truly caring,wonderful people. YES...not using Destroyer can ALSO get you a really good score with hard studying,but we used Destroyer and did well and want to tell everyone about it. And I got alot of help from people on SDN,and thats why I try to post and help others out.....not to promote Destroyer,just to share what worked for me!

hey guys, I'm not trying to sell anything, but I was wondering if anyone has and can exchange Destroyer for my MCAT Audio Osmosis. Let me know pls. Or PM me. Thanks!

I loved those CD's. Good 'ol Jordan and Jon talking me to sleep every night. My favorite was their quip about mad-cow disease and their impersonation of a mad cow. Ahhh, priceless. :laugh:

I used Audiolearn. It wasn't funny or anything, just straight facts. It helped the most for Biology. You can't really hear Ochem and learn it. Anything to listen to in the car during the commute is better than nothing.

I'm using DAT destroyer right now and its nothing special, basically 400pgs or so of questions and answers with detailed explainations. At $150 its a bit overpriced (I bought mine used for $100) but I guess any bit would help.

Value and efficiency wise I would rate:
Kaplan (class) < Barron's < Destroyer < Achiever < Topscore

I'm using DAT destroyer right now and its nothing special, basically 400pgs or so of questions and answers with detailed explainations. At $150 its a bit overpriced (I bought mine used for $100) but I guess any bit would help.

Watch out for Barrons as far as science goes-apparently there are errors all over that thing(but supposedly useful for PAT)

I just got my Destroyer materials a couple days ago and up til now I've just been reviewing my Barron's and Kaplan Blue book. Tonight, I tried to do some Destroyer questions... I've only gone about 15 questions into and - HOLY crap it's hard!!!

Whether it's a godsend or not- I couldn't say, but your best bet in studying is to be as thorough as possible - and that's what this book does if nothing else - it forces you to be thorough! Even after all my kaplan review, I'm looking at these questions like :eek: :confused:
So it's definitely making me take another look at certain topics more in depth, plus, I'm learning some terms that I haven't even come across yet in my review and having to look them up online.

The kaplan book is really helpful to read through for review, so I would def recommend that, but of course, the test questions cover exactly the material you just read and are really straightforward, which makes me wary. I think you should still do all of it just to cement the info in your head, but Kaplan and Barron's alone does not make for sufficient DAT review in my opinion.

Hi,

I would like to say on behalf of DAT Destroyer, TopScore, and Kaplan blue book that these study aids helped me immensely in scoring 22/20/18 (TS/AA/PAT), with a 24 in biology!

I finished my test yesterday and was very satisfied with my results. DAT Destroyer was very usefully in all the science sections, I would highly recommend anyone to buy it and not to rely on Kaplan alone. Thank you to those who recommended getting this book.

TopScore was very useful for getting into the habit of taking a computer version of the exam.

Kaplan blue was very important for a comprehensive review of all the study materials, so you didn't have to resort to college text books, but for the organic sections, they didn't do a very good job of drawing out some mechanisms.

For mechanisms, I previously posted a link to an online organic book which had every mechanism drawn out for those of you who are interested. This site was VERY useful in helping me understand these reactions.

For the organic section make sure you are fully comfortable with the concepts of: Sn1, Sn2, E1, E2, Grignard, Williamson Ether, bromination (with and without peroxide for Markovnikov and anti-Markovnikov reactions), oxidation/reduction compounds (e.g. KMnO4, LiAlH4, O3, NaBH4, etc.), know how to identify equivalent hydrogens for NMR, know the Fridel-Crafts reactions, and that's all I can think of at this moment. Note: DAT Destroyer, once again, is the best for solidifying these concepts.

In addition to the items I discussed above, I also used Barron's book for PAT (because the science sections were error-ridden), and ARCO's GRE/GMAT book for QR.

I hope this information helps.

Thank you to those who suggested purchasing the extra study material, I am sure that I would have done very poorly if I had relied on Kaplan alone.

Hello everyone, thank you for all of the DAT advice. I'm currently studying for the DAT and shoot to take it in January. I've taken it before (didn't do very well and hoping to get those 20s). The first time I took the test I only used the Kaplan blue book, so yeah, I don't recommend that. But recently someone told me about this forum and, of course, I read the raves about Dr. Romano. I will admit I was skeptical at first and didn't want to spend $150 on his book, but now I am so happy I did. I called him for the first time last week not expecting anyone to answer the phone, then to my surprise Dr. Romano pleasantly went over some O-chem questions that I was having trouble with (and this was on a friday night). Then on saturday I called him again and we went over lots more O-chem. I love this guy, I can't believe that he is willing to do this for his students! He is now in my top ten list of favorite people. In addition the book is great and seems to be by far the best preparation I have seen. I feel confident that when January comes around I'll be ready to get those 20s compliments of the destroyer. I'll post my scores after the test, assuming they are da bomb. Good luck to everyone out there.

I think all you really need to do well is Kaplan (the subject tests allow you to ace the sciences). TopScore and Achiever let you practice like it's the real thing and help a lot. Plus, Achiever has some of the exact questions.

Barron's is pretty worthless.

Destroyer was overkill and the material not really representative of the real thing in my opinion. I think the price is a little outrageous too, BUT IF YOU CAN GET IT FOR FREE THEN DEFINITELY USE IT. It will help, although I used it the most for Ochem and yet I scored only an 18 on the real thing (my lowest score). Ochem was never my strong subject though.

I got a 24 in bio and a 23 in gen chem and that's attributed purely to the Kaplan subject tests. Oh yeah, and I think ExamKrackers for the MCAT was great. They really break it down for you!!!

Good luck to all of you.

First off Do you work for Kaplan????

I completely disagree with the last post. First off I mean how much more can you bash this product. Ill give you a true perspective because, i am a living testimony of a dental student who used Kaplan, Topscore, Achiever and the Destroyer. Kaplan's material is good for a general review but thats about it. Topscore and Achiever also are very good just so you can understand and test yourself on similar testing conditions. However it was the Destroyer that I truly feel let me achieve my 25's in the sciences & i will stand down for this product no matter what anyone says. It was it that got me into STONY BROOK DENTAL. Honestly, i dont think i would have ever felt so confident as i did walking into the DAT as i was because, of the Destroyer.

I understand your entitled to your own opinion but at the same time its getting a little ridiculous constantly bringing this great product down. Dr. Romano and Nancy are fabulous people with great hearts who only wish students to prosper in life and in school. They stood behind my studies throughout this DAT process along with tons of other students. So if your the one person that isnt happy with the product then so be it, but i know for a fact that it was one of the main reasons i made it into one of the best dental schools.
The Destroyer was made to challenge students and get them ready for the worst, and it does it very officiently. Im sure i have hundreds if not thousands of people at this point to agree with what im saying. I tell everyone one of friends to know the Destroyer cold and you will be very confident come test day, because it approaches every angle of the sciences.

Wow, with a derogatory post like that you must be the one that works for Destroyer. No reason to get huffy. We're all entitled to our own opinions.

Again, Kaplan subject tests are wonderful tools and worked much better for me than Destroyer. Many others liked Destoyer so it truly is a matter of preference and how much you want to spend. The Kaplan subject tests are pretty much available for free. If you have the money get it all. Otherwise...save your money. Destroyer just wasn't worth it in my opinion...remember it's just an opinion. No reason to attack. But, the Kaplan class on the other hand is even more a waste of money than Destroyer.

Good luck everyone. You'll all do well!!!!!!!

I agree.