DAT Destroyer BIO vs. Cliffs/Barrons BIO Questions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Strag

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm working on my schedule. For those that took the DAT or those currently studying for the DAT, are the questions from DAT Destroyer BIO or questions from Cliff's/Barron's more representative of the DAT?

I've been searching some threads and most said that the DAT BIO isn't really helpful/representative.

Members don't see this ad.

Dat destroyer bio should be used as a study guide. Most of he answers are "all of the above" or something along those lines. You should understand all of the concepts/ideas presented in each question and answer. You should definitely study the answers in the back for ALL of the questions because orgoman does a very nice job on the explanations.

As for cliffs, I'm just reading through it to make sure I have it all. It is an ap prep book so I'm kind of skimming over the practice questions.

And I haven't used barrons, so I don't know what to tell you there.

Last edited:
I'm working on my schedule. For those that took the DAT or those currently studying for the DAT, are the questions from DAT Destroyer BIO or questions from Cliff's/Barron's more representative of the DAT?

I've been searching some threads and most said that the DAT BIO isn't really helpful/representative.

You should have a look at all the recent threads on people who have just completed the DAT, many of them have great information regarding your questions.

You're also comparing two fairly different study aids: Cliffs being a comprehensive review book, while Destroyer is a book full of questions covering a broad spectrum of topics at random. I see Destroyer as a supplement to 1-3 primary review sources like Cliffs/KBB/Barrons/*Textbook, etc.

These are the kinds of posts I'm talking about by the way:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=652091 (Tidbit about Campbell's bio textbook)

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=783353 (general DAT experience)

Apparently I subscribed myself to this thread??!? Oops
and the only way that I can see it un-subscribe is to post again. So don't mind me :)

Members don't see this ad :)
You should have a look at all the recent threads on people who have just completed the DAT, many of them have great information regarding your questions.

You're also comparing two fairly different study aids: Cliffs being a comprehensive review book, while Destroyer is a book full of questions covering a broad spectrum of topics at random. I see Destroyer as a supplement to 1-3 primary review sources like Cliffs/KBB/Barrons/*Textbook, etc.

These are the kinds of posts I'm talking about by the way:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=652091 (Tidbit about Campbell's bio textbook)

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=783353 (general DAT experience)

I was just asking about the questions at the end of the chapters, not the chapters themselves that go along with Cliffs/Barrons.

Just wondering if it would be more beneficial to use Cliff's/Barron's questions as opposed to DD Bio's questions.

I wanted to make up a couple mock DATs for my schedule and would like one that's most representative of the DAT.

Researched a lot of topics...just wanted to see if there were any people who recently took the DAT who know if one was more helpful than the other.

I see, sorry about that. Haven't taken the DAT (scheduled for April) yet, so this is just more of a guess.

Personally I'd just use both combined, since both have different information and neither seems to be touted as a fantastic solution by itself. Hell, if I had to pick just one, I'd go with destroyer simply because the book contains gen chem, orgo, and math as well, and the questions (which are more like mini-blocks of info) seem to sometimes cover more esoteric info than Kaplan did, like the different cells of the stomach for example.

But if I had to go with just one bio source at all, it seems that the Campbell textbook the ADA used has received the most consistent positive feedback toward its helpfulness in relevant DAT prep.