DAT destroyer GC 277

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bigTOOTHguy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
the question states the the Sr cation is smaller than the S anion. I am confused because they are in different rows. Kaplan says S is smaller, Destroyer says Sr is smaller. Is this a fair comparison? Please clarify somoneee!!

Members don't see this ad.

Usually cations are smaller than anions (Chads says to look at the charge...more negative is larger and more positive is smaller) right?

can you post a pic plz. i have the old destroyer so dont have the problem in front of me.

but according to my understanding of your problem, if you have the thing in the next shell (assuming all the electrons are still there), then its bigger. also the atomic radius decreases as you go from left to right in a period because of the fact that you are adding more protons so those protons end up pulling more on the electrons in the electron cloud. i think of it as the magnet getting stronger and pulling more on the electrons so results in smaller atomic radius on the right side of the period.

basically the question asked if a cation in a lower row was larger than an anion in a higher row ( for example row 4 and 3 respectively). Destroyer claimed that the anion was bigger no matter the periodic relationship in the table in the respective question.

okay when dealing with cations and anions think of it this way the more ++ an element has the smaller it is. The more - - an element is the larger it is no matter what. So basically the more cation an element is when comparing it to the other elements the smaller it is if it has more ++. I hope this helps. Look at question number #21 in destroyer 2013 version if that's the one you have and it will drive the point home.