DAT Destroyer or DAT bootcamp first??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dropt21

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am preparing for my dat and I was wondering how best to use both the dat destroyer and bootcamp? Should I do destroyer questions ( a few from each section daily) and then do a bootcamp test every other day??? After watching chad's videos, I did one BC gen chem test and didn't score well so I was thinking I need to purchase the destroyer set and do questions first to better understand the concepts before doing another BC test again? Does this sound like it's is my problem??

I want to utilize these resources the best way I can and take my test sooner rather than later.

Also, I felt like I was rushing to finish when doing the BC test. what is the best way to increase your speed and still not make careless mistakes?

Thanks so much!!

Members don't see this ad.

Make destroyer your home and bootcamp your vacation and feralis notes that little piece of chocolate you treat yourself to every night before bed.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
ok thanks so much you guys!! for destroyer, should I do a few gchem questions, bio question etc each day or should I do all the gc questions first and, then do all the bio questions etc.??? Is it recommend to do the destroyer more than once? Also, I wanted to take my dat at the end of Feb, is this still plausible seeing how I haven't gotten the destroyer books yet? should I just push it back until march so I will have enough time to go through destroyer and bc?

Thx

Also for bio, I was going to use cliffs...will that be enough or I need to use feralis too? Lastly, should I use just bc for pat. I was watching the tutorial videos first (which are not really that helpful) and then going to do the test or is cracking the dat for pat better?

You'll see it a million times on here, start with cliffs then move to feralis. Feralis really isn't that bad and it's info you need to feel comfortable on the exam. You will understand this as your knowledge builds. Make destroyer your bible. Its more complex than bootcamp and other resources in all areas but its what you need to do well. Know everything in bootcamp and destroyer and you will do great. I never used crackdat, but bootcamp will got the job done for you. I felt everything was slightly easier on the test in regards to pat. If you're going to spend extra money, get qvaults sciences. Tyjacobs vocab list was really useful for bio and free. Just keep pushing yourself until your exam, dont get comfortable. Make sure to take 1 or 2 full length tests to simulate test day.

Are you taking classes or working right now or is the dat the only thing you have going on?

Last edited:
You'll see it a million times on here, start with cliffs then move to feralis. Feralis really isn't that bad and it's info you need to feel comfortable on the exam. You will understand this as your knowledge builds. Make destroyer your bible. Its more complex than bootcamp and other resources in all areas but its what you need to do well. Know everything in bootcamp and destroyer and you will do great. I never used crackdat, but bootcamp will got the job done for you. I felt everything was slightly easier on the test in regards to pat. If you're going to spend extra money, get qvaults sciences. Tyjacobs vocab list was really useful for bio and free. Just keep pushing yourself until your exam, dont get comfortable. Make sure to take 1 or 2 full length tests to simulate test day.

Are you taking classes or working right now or is the dat the only thing you have going on?

Okay, thanks so much for the advice. I am going to try and order the destroyer books asap so I can get started. I am currently just studying for the dat and wanted to take it in the next 4 wks, but I wasn't sure if I should push it back bc I haven't started the destroyer yet. I am currently looking for a job but not working yet. I think I feel as though I need more direction in my preparation, bc I don't feel as though it has been as effective thus far, so don't feel ready yet. I tried bc ari study schedule but got behind. Do you have an suggested study schedules/strategies?

Here's what I would do right now if you have no other commitments. I would give yourself a month and half to two months if you've taken the pre reqs and just need to refresh. Shut down all of your social media and all your other distractions and completely immerse yourself in the material. Like fall in love with obtaining a deep understanding of the flow and permeability of the loop of henle and how to derive a henderson a hasselbach equation. lol. Everything and everyone will be there when you get back. Go through all the sections and do an honest assessment of where your weak points are and get all of those up to speed conceptually. Once you have the main concepts down behind everything start working problems and don't stop. Keep assessing your weak points and tackling those. I went through bio destroyer 3 or 4 times and my last run through i did it all in 6 hrs without stopping and got like 550 out of the 600 right. The bio portion of my test was so easy after that. I wish I would have done that for the chems. Do that for the entire destroyer and bootcamp and you will be golden. If you master those keep looking for new sources and angles. My biggest piece of advice is just to not get comfortable, if you think you have a theory or type of problem down, do it one more time. Give it everything you have because at the end of this 6 to 8 weeks you will be walking out of the testing center with a piece of paper that you are proud of or the reality that you are going to have to take this thing again and you do not want to be kicking yourself for spending time on netflix when you could have been hammering down more concepts. Use your practice scores as a guide and not a guarantee. You will do fine if you put your all into it. Good luck.

Reactions: 1 user
Here's what I would do right now if you have no other commitments. I would give yourself a month and half to two months if you've taken the pre reqs and just need to refresh. Shut down all of your social media and all your other distractions and completely immerse yourself in the material. Like fall in love with obtaining a deep understanding of the flow and permeability of the loop of henle and how to derive a henderson a hasselbach equation. lol. Everything and everyone will be there when you get back. Go through all the sections and do an honest assessment of where your weak points are and get all of those up to speed conceptually. Once you have the main concepts down behind everything start working problems and don't stop. Keep assessing your weak points and tackling those. I went through bio destroyer 3 or 4 times and my last run through i did it all in 6 hrs without stopping and got like 550 out of the 600 right. The bio portion of my test was so easy after that. I wish I would have done that for the chems. Do that for the entire destroyer and bootcamp and you will be golden. If you master those keep looking for new sources and angles. My biggest piece of advice is just to not get comfortable, if you think you have a theory or type of problem down, do it one more time. Give it everything you have because at the end of this 6 to 8 weeks you will be walking out of the testing center with a piece of paper that you are proud of or the reality that you are going to have to take this thing again and you do not want to be kicking yourself for spending time on netflix when you could have been hammering down more concepts. Use your practice scores as a guide and not a guarantee. You will do fine if you put your all into it. Good luck.
Thanks alot! When you say to assess your weaknesses in every area. Should i do a FL or bc test from each section first? And based on where my weaknesses start reviewing chads videoes or cliffs first? Then go on to do dat destroyer?

The general order I think makes most sense is to first review all the material. Then, work on some practice questions, not timed practice tests. You need to focus on getting the right answer and understanding why the correct answer is correct and why the incorrect answers are incorrect. Take your time initially with the practice questions, you can use DAT Destroyer for this part. Once you get more comfortable with answering practice questions, move on to timed practice tests.

I think an important piece of advice is to practice active learning. Don't just do the practice question, read the solution if you get it wrong, and move on. Ask and explain to yourself why each answer choice is incorrect, think about another way you could ask the question to make another answer choice correct, if you see something unfamiliar, go back and review that entire topic in your notes you took from your initial review. If you don't have it in your notes, add it in. I kept a notebook that I reviewed weekly with everything I missed that week to make sure I wouldn't make the same mistake again. I think this thread summarizes the attitude to have while studying to get a high score pretty well, I recommend reading it: https://forums.studentdoctor.net/th...logy-section-progress-what-not-to-do.1223284/

Reactions: 1 user
What I mean by that is if you are skimming cliffs and you have absolutely 0 idea of how photosynthesis works but are 80% set on glycolysis get photosynthesis up to speed first so you not starting from 0 at anything a month from now. As you keep reviewing material you will naturally pick up on your weak areas and try to balance it all out to give you the best shot at not having any surprises on test day. I didn't do any full lengths and still did ok but I would suggest doing at least one close to test day so you have an idea of the stamina it takes and also the time management. I don't necessarily agree with waiting to take all the bootcamp tests until the end because its a great learning tool as well. I would take all of the individual bootcamp tests now, mark your weak areas, figure those out, then hit destroyer hard and just keep practicing, bootcamp is a great timing tool

destroyer first. save bootcamp exams for when you feel ready to take full length practice exams.
Agreed! Don't wait to get to the Destroyer...it is not a book you can master in a few weeks, it takes time.

Wishing you the best in your studies and on the DAT

Nancy

Thanks digzthis, I understand and will for sure target my weak areas first.

Ari, thanks so much for your advice and for also sharing that post. I certainly read about some of the very mistakes i am currently making. Also, your bc video explanations after the tests are absolutely perfect!!! I just think i jumped the gun and began taking timed tested without doing destroyer problems first to make sure i really am comfortable with the concepts and how to apply them. Also, you are right about having the right attitude. I guess after seeing my first low score on the pt i got discouraged. I need to really take my time and study effectively and learn actively like u said, instead of rushing to meet a deadline. Thank you for your resources and i will make sure to pace myself and use them properly as i know they will be invaluable come test day.

Thank you orgoman22. Yes, i am going to try and buy your books asap so i can get started on questions. Thanks again!! I am now motivated to try again and not let fear and discouragement stand in the way!!!

Reactions: 1 users