DAT Done 01/07/09

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IdahoDoc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well looks like it will have to be a third time for me :( . I think i have the worst luck, I got the Piano passage the first time i took the DAT and i got the FRAP this time took the DAT.

It was a really weird day all together, first off i couldn't find the testing center then once i got there, i was supposed to get a parking permit from this guy at a shack but nobody was in it and said it opened at 7 a.m. I was there at 7:45. So after having to have the testing center lady call the campus parking guys to make sure my car wasn't towed, i started my test. Then about 60 Min into my sciences all the computer froze in the testing center. It kind of freaked me out so the had to restart all the computers but luckily they had all our answered backed up. SO after my unexpected 20 min break i went back to my test to see the famous FRAP question. Then after my test was over the computer wouldn't give me a print out so they gave me the number to the ADA to have them send me a copy (oh course i had to pay another 25 bucks for it so i bagged that idea). Anyway after all that here is the break down...

BIO: 17, ouch (22 first DAT), there were a lot of questions that i wasn't sure about i mean really from left field. Not sure how i would have known to study that stuff. It was completely different then my first DAT. I used High Yield Bio and Destroyer. Both were good but again it was kinda like playing poker with a card-shark, just know way of knowing where they get there stuff from.

Gchem: 21, (19 first DAT), i thought this section was way easy. I was rather surprised to see the score i got i though i had at least a 25. There was really only one question that i was unsure of. Again i used High Yield and destroyer, I also used my text book. I thought destroyer was good and while it tested more in depth then what was needed it was good for clearing out the cob webs and helping me work problems quicker.

OChem: 21, (18 first DAT), When i took the DAT the first time i was right in the middle of the first semester of ochem so alot of it i had to try to teach my self and make sense of it so i was actual pretty happy with a 18, i Looked at destroyer and went through it twice, it was good and i don't really think it went too deep. The best tool was the ACS guide for $30. I went through that about 4 times. This was a score that i was suprised with again because on my top score pro tests i had a 25, 28, and 25.

Reading: 15, (16 first DAT), FRAP what can i say... I actually thought the passages were kind of interesting but just didn't have enough time. I found that if you didn't understand the terms in the passage then you wouldn't understand the question asked because they used a lot of terms from the passage and defined in ways that weren't familiar to me. I just tried to search and destroy. But i got destroyed.

QR: 15 (14 first DAT), i am not really good at math but i would have hoped to do a bit better then a 15, i had a good mix of everything. I felt the problems were either doable or way out there. I used CRACK DAT MATH and it was good for getting my timing but the explanations were horrible on it. i also worked through destroyer 4 times, in reality i didn't really think the math was really like either of them.

PAT: 21 (19 first DAT), I thought it was really simple except for about 6 questions and one question in particular i could swear it had two answers and all you had to do was rotate the image 180 to get the other answer. I finished this section about 30 min early as well. I generally do better. I used Crack Dat PAT and it was the best resource out there it was spot on but the closet i could find. I was really amazed how easy the angles were on my DAT. If anyone needs help with cube counting or hole punches let me know i have full proof ways to get all of them every time.

TS:20 (19 first DAT)

AA:18 (18 first DAT)

Well i already have applications in this year so i guess i will just ride it out and get ready for next year. I am pretty sure i will retake in the spring around late may or early june but we will have to see, i am pretty sick of the DAT for right now.

Members don't see this ad.

I too am apprehensive about the bio section. Im taking a cell biology course this semester to kick me into shape on bio and im rereading/ well for the 2nd half of the book, im looking at the figures and diagrams, for the bio campbell and reece 8th edition book (btw this is the book they use as their refernce so if its in this book its fair game). I woudl have to say the only part of the test that i would dislike the most is the bio portion. Im more of a chemistry person, bio just isnt my thing. And when i say bio im refering to the more mundane topics such as evolution taxanomy classification and ecology [embryology is ok, and the plant crap drives me insane....SO BORING:sleep:]. Thanks for the helpfull info. If you ahve a 3.7 or 3.6+ GPA u will get in somewhere i can almost promise u that. But if you retake, dont think too much about the last 2. Just focus on wats at hand and get it done right. Good scores congrats. And GLUCK:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
your practice test scores are impressive! were you nervous when you took the real one or was it significantly harder/trickier than topscore? how would you advise others to prepare themselves for the real test? for the frap version, are ALL the sections known to be harder?

ill be taking mine soon so any help would be appreciated!

If anyone needs help with cube counting or hole punches let me know i have full proof ways to get all of them every time.

Ok...I'm ready to hear about the fail-proof hole punching technique. I need all the help I can get.

That makes two of us, Im finally getting good at top-front-end but I keep messing up on hole punching.

Congrats btw, and good luck with applying.

Sorry guys i can't upload to SND If someone knows how to get my PDF to attach so you guys can see it let me know if now just post your e-mails.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
[email protected]

thanks

and I had a question about this...

Hate to be a downer but that 15 RC is big Red Flag. If I were you I'd retake it.

Is there a widely accepted cutoff point for certain sections? and I'm just curious, but why is the 15 in RC a red flag but not the 15 in QR? Is QR not weighed as heavily as the other sections on the test?

Last edited:
Hey guys, Sorry to disappoint but i still have yet to finish the hole punch PDF and i just got slammed with a bunch of P-Chem and Bio-CHem so it might be a bit before i get that out. I have tried to send the cube counting out to most everyone though. If you still haven't got it then it should be on its way soon.

Hey Idahodoc,
I need you help...Can i get your cube counting secrets. I know I ask for the hole punching, but after taking more Crack DAT PAT, my cube counting sucks too! Check your PM. I need your help...test in 3 days and counting...somebody save me....

I think God heard my prayer. I too got the piano passage my second time taking the DAT. It was ridicules!!!! The search and destroy method does NOT work for that one. you have to actually READ the passage and try to understand what it is talking about, be able to think outside of the box in order to answer the questions. First time I got 15 on my RC and second time I got 19. I really don't know HOW. I guessed on that ENTIRE piano passage. Or at least what's making the most sense out of the answer choices. Plus the 1st and the 3rd passage weren't too shabby. That's how I was able to pull a 19 I guess. :laugh:

Anyway, I am REALLY sorry to hear about your RC. I just got lucky and hopfully next time you'll get lucky too. If there is a need of course.:luck:

I really need help on PAT and QR!! Any tips greatly appreciated....

Last edited:
[email protected]

thanks

and I had a question about this...

Is there a widely accepted cutoff point for certain sections? and I'm just curious, but why is the 15 in RC a red flag but not the 15 in QR? Is QR not weighed as heavily as the other sections on the test?

Yeah RC is considered one of the more important sections on the DAT. QR is probably the least important and most people don't do that well on it.

Once again, I fricking don't get how the TS is scored on the DAT. He's got 20 TS and I got 18 bio, 20 ochem and 22 gchem....and I only got a 19!!!! Why' can't I get a 20TS!! GRAAAAAAAHHHHHHH SO CLOSE!

The bio section probably weighs more because it has 40 questions, while the other two sections on the sciences are 30 each.

I think i have sent my cube pdf to everyone that wanted a copy now. But if you don't have it yet or want it still let me know. ~idahodoc

Pardon me Doc, but is it true wat they say that now a days in the math portion of the DAT they dont ask you those area/parameter type questions. That its all permutation and word problems. Can you confirm that, or am i Out of line? :confused: The type of Q im talkin about is the ones in topscore where they have a square in a circle and wanted the area of the shaded region type.

Pardon me Doc, but is it true wat they say that now a days in the math portion of the DAT they dont ask you those area/parameter type questions. That its all permutation and word problems. Can you confirm that, or am i Out of line? :confused: The type of Q im talkin about is the ones in topscore where they have a square in a circle and wanted the area of the shaded region type.

I had some questions that had both the area and parameter combined. If i remember correct it gave me the area and then told me the ratio of the sides and asked what the parameter was.

hey IdahoDoc...could you try to send me the cube counting pdf again...I guess it didnt got thru...heres a different email address.

[email protected]

its a j ....thanks again !!

Ar2