1. Dismiss Notice
  2. This forum is for support and discussion only. Please promote test prep materials/services (including AMAs) in the Special Offers subforum only. Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice

DAT Done 12/15 Please advise

Discussion in 'DAT Discussions' started by BiomajorPreDent, Dec 18, 2008.

1. BiomajorPreDent

BiomajorPreDent Senior Member
    2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Hi, I have been browsing this forum for almost a year now, but I haven't posted. Before I go into my rant I just want to thank you all for all your helpful posts.
    Now here is my situation:
    (I am concerned with only the sciences rite now)
    I took the DAT for the first time last June. I got an 18 in Bio, Chem and Ochem with an 18 AA and 18 TS, I was shooting for a 19

Now, for that first test I used only Kaplan material. I took the Kaplan course also.

Now as I read on here, albeit after I took the exam, the Kaplan bio was not enough, although the gen chem and ochem seemed to cover all the material.

Anyway, I read that everyone here uses Cliffs AP Bio. I purchased that and read it cover to cover, it helped for bio a lot I think. I also learned a lot of things from taking more bio classes in school

Now this past fall I read bio mostly (the cliffs book) because I felt it was the hardest score to bring up. I used the Kaplan material again for the chem and ochem.

Now I just took the exam again today (2nd time) and I got an 18 in bio, 18 in chem. (again)

BUT a 19 in ochem!

Okay so whatever I did for organic seemed to work, my worksheet of organic reactions from Kaplan seems to have paid off…

I am concerned with gen chem, and bio though.

(My goal is 19 TS. I am 1 point away, and from the ADA's rough scoring sheets I was only 1 correct question away from a 19 TS. This discourages me.)

Here is my problem. I am starting to worry because I don't know what else to do to prepare. I felt and was told Kaplan was good enough for the chemistry's, but my gen chemistry section did not improve on my 2nd attempt. Should I keep re reading the material I have or should I get different books? (I feel like getting other textbooks I would just be re reading the same theory just in another book, but then again I don't want to keep reading Kaplan if im missing something)

I know the bio section can cover anything, but what other books should I use? Should I start re reading my Campbell bio book? Obviously AP Cliffs Bio is not the end all of bio I assume, but I feel so discouraged I need some advice

Oh and I know how everyone here feels about destroyer and achiever, but will just banks of questions really help for bio? After reading everything I feel like I have seen everything in bio multiple times. I'm a bio major and took two different biology classes this past semester alone. Should I be doing massive amounts of questions or should I be reading?

I plan to study over this next semester and take the exam in the summer. Is this a good idea?

Also this next time I take the exam will be my third try. I have heard its game over after that? Is that true?

Sorry for the gigantic post. Thanks to any who respond!

EDIT: This past week when i took the exam i got FRAP'd, Histology slide, (and the ethics passage), I hear the bio section on this particular exam is more difficult, not trying to make an excuse im just trying to figure this all out. what are the odds i would get this same exam again??

#1 BiomajorPreDent, Dec 18, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2008
  2. zuma35

5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Definitly get Destroyer. The chem sections are a little harder than the DAT, but if you learn how to do all the problems, you'll be well prepared for the DAT. Also, the roadmaps in the orgo section, are key. Make sure you memorize them. The bio section is packed with crucial information that you should know before you head into your test.

I would also recommend getting a hold of practice tests, like Topscore, and see what you're getting wrong. Although I think Kaplan is very good for the chemistry, it's difficult to do well in those sections without exposure to the types of questions that are on the DAT. Best of luck.

3. Northside

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    An 18 DAT isn't that bad. What's your GPA? I suggest retaking only if you have to. How do you know you're not competitive as you are right now? Did you apply before? Are you currently applying? My bad for asking all these questions... it's just that the DAT isn't the only important factor in admissions and an average DAT can be overcome by an application that is strong in other areas.

Anyhow, if you need to retake, make sure that A) you can set aside some time to really study your @$$ off and B) you get your hands on as many practise tests/questions as you can.

Based on your post, it looks like you've read over the material enough already. Be sure to go over it again for your third attempt too, yet this time do as many problems as you can. Doing problems/tests not only gives you an idea of where you're at but, in my opinion, it's a more active way of learning as you need to think about everything that you read as opposed to just passively reading over some books/notes. Oftentimes, questions will pop up that are not covered in your prep notes/books but cover topics that can show up on the real DAT. Doing well on practise tests also gives you confidence on test day.

4. 911dds

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I have heard that you can only take the DAT 3 times, but I have a friend who took it 4 times (and yes, he's currently in dental school). I think he said he had to get special permission, but nevertheless, it's possible...If there's a will there's a way...Cheesy right?

I feel your pain about bio. The first thing I thought of when I took (DAT) the bio for the first time was: read everything I can get my hands on related to bio...but, i've done Kaplan BB, Cliff's, Destroyer, Topscore...and I still don't feel prepared enough...I don't know what else to do. As painful as it sounds, i might need to just crack the old text book and plow through it.

5. T Time

5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    reading Schaum's for Bio and using my old bio lecture notes for reference really helped me :thumbup:

6. joonkimdds

joonkimdds Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    About 1~2 yrs ago, people were saying Schaum has too much info for DAT. But I think it's still a good book.

7. ZenoVT

ZenoVT Power Ranger
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    You really need to get some practice tests/questions prep books or programs. This will not only help you study, but it'll provide you with information on where your strengths and weaknesses lies. That's how I studied after I felt that I have exhausted my other materials.

8. BiomajorPreDent

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Thanks for the replys..I was freaking out a bit and now I have calmed down I believe.

So here is my plan:

I will make every effort to memorize the AP Cliffs Bio book, pick up DAT Destroyer, and go through campbells bio text as it seems to be THE source for bio apparently...

I will also order either topscore or DAT Achiever towards the end of the summer for the full length tests. (Which do you think is better?)

I also just found the "Student study guide" that came with the campbell book that I forgot I had..has anyone used that?

Also, what is this schaums book everyone talks about? is this it?

http://www.amazon.com/Schaums-Outline-Biology-George-Fried/dp/0070224056

Thanks

9. KappaSig

KappaSig Future Dentist!
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Yeah that is that actual schaums book everyone keeps talking about...

also I am studying for my DAT's again, but this time I have heard from several people to look over the hyperlearning MCAT book from princenton for the chem/ochem sections to raise those as well. If you can borrow it from a friend than that would help, I am not sure if you can buy that book.

Topscore I have heard is better in preparation for the exam, and DAT Achiever is an overkill in some areas, and some areas it is very weak.

How are you doing on the rest of your portions, Reading, Math, PAT?

10. BiomajorPreDent

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Okay so topscore is better. thanks

Ahh the reading and math isnt a concern to me because I am getting 23's in the reading and 16's in the math, so it just averages out to 19-20.

The PAT I got an 18 in as well, I need to focus more on the front top end thats what is killing me, I am using crack DAT PAT for that.