DAT done! 6/16

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sicspeed

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So here are my scores and verified gpa.

PAT 26 99.8%;)
QR 19 81.8%
RC 19 53.9%
Bio 20 87.4%
GC 17 49.3%:mad:
OC 21 87.6%

TS 19 76.7%
AA 19 75.3%

Overall I feel alright with these scores, but I would like to get some feedback on what you think about them. My GC killed me!
My verified OGPA is 3.62 and SGPA 3.49

Members don't see this ad.

I'm really wondering if I'd even have a chance at UoP, since they weigh the PAT quite heavily?

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you kidding me! I just spent the last 30 minutes writing my entire perception of how the real DAT was and when I submitted it didn't go through. Anyway, I'll hurry through it again... Also, I studied Kaplan Blue Book, flashcards, online material, and took the class (pointless). Topscore pro and the DAT Destroyer.

Bio - I dont know if there is anything that will prepare you for this unless you have a photographic memory and can learn everything in your andvanced bio books. I wanted to cry after the first 3 questions. Definitely more conceptual than the prep materials.

Gchem - I felt prepared for this but there were alot of questions that weren't on any of the prep material. I am quite dissapointed with my score, but I'm no chemistry scholar (my worst subject). And yes, I believe I had less than 5-6 calculations (its all a big blur now)

Ochem - Pretty straight forward. The Destroyer nailed it, although once again, there were a few questions that I never saw in any prep material.

PAT - Honestly, I wasnt prepared for this. I only say that because TopScore and Kaplan weren't nearly as difficult as the real DAT. The angles were ridiculous (less than a degree off, no joke), and some crazy folds in hole punching. With that said, I was confident going into this section. You really have to figure it out on your own, find mechanisms that work for you! (and not how other people tell you what to do)

RC - Alot of inference and tone questions. Other than that it is what it is.

QR - I felt that all of the prep materials were beneficial in preparing me for this. Once again, there were a couple of problems that threw me off.

Do you think I have a good chance at UoP with my PAT score or am I just wishful thinking? It's my number one choice and I dont know if my AA is good enough.

ANYONE? What are my chances? Should I plan on retaking? UoP in reach?

no predent can give you a definitive answer on how good your chances are at uop, we can just speculate. you might want to call up uop directly and ask what they think...maybe ask them what competitive DAT scores for their school are

congrats on your scores and being done:D...your pat score is AMAZING! I know you said you gotta figure it out on your own but trying strategies cant hurt...WHAT DID YOU DO FOR PAT?

thanks and good luck in the rest of the process :luck:

I used a lot of the strategies that Kaplan teaches in their class (unfortunately it was the only thing I learned from the class). Basically for key aperatures visually "walk" around the outside of the shape from the TFE views and compare to answers. For TFE imagine the "bottom line" of the top touching the "top line" of the Front side etc. Angle ranking was a joke! It was much more difficult than any practice test I had taken:confused:. Go with your gut, and as always find the smallest and largest first. Look out for the hole punching as well, there are some crazy folds that I had never seen before:eek:. All in all, try to find a method that will work for you, and when it all comes down to it, you have to study for the PAT section to do well on it. Dont just think that there isn't any way to study for it.

I used a lot of the strategies that Kaplan teaches in their class (unfortunately it was the only thing I learned from the class). Basically for key aperatures visually "walk" around the outside of the shape from the TFE views and compare to answers. For TFE imagine the "bottom line" of the top touching the "top line" of the Front side etc. Angle ranking was a joke! It was much more difficult than any practice test I had taken:confused:. Go with your gut, and as always find the smallest and largest first. Look out for the hole punching as well, there are some crazy folds that I had never seen before:eek:. All in all, try to find a method that will work for you, and when it all comes down to it, you have to study for the PAT section to do well on it. Dont just think that there isn't any way to study for it.

thanks for the advice. yea i do well on angles now but am anticipating them to be horrendous from what everyone keeps saying...any way to prep for this? the practice material i have isn't that difficult. same situation for hole punching too... i do pretty decent on it now but everyone keeps saying the real one has weird folds!

Any tips for pattern folding, i think tha'ts my weakest one now. :scared:

Another question about my DAT score... Should I worry about my GChem score? Is it going to hurt my chances or will schools overlook it compared to my other scores?

Hokie, as for the pattern folding. There are generally main shapes or sides that you can usually pick out. Also, during your practice try drawing the shapes out on paper. This will give you a better vizualization of the objects.

no predent can give you a definitive answer on how good your chances are at uop, we can just speculate. you might want to call up uop directly and ask what they think...maybe ask them what competitive DAT scores for their school are

I attended UOP undergrad and going to UOP dent school this summer. I would retake your DATs. Anything Below 19 they would probably tell you to retake your DATs. From what I heard, UOP weighs the DATs more than gpa.

I had friends with low scores and that's what they told them.
Try to boost up everything above 20. Still got plenty of time. gL

"http://dental.pacific.edu/admissions1/DDS/faq.htm
A: Our incoming class averages are:

Academic average
Perceptual ability
Reading comprehension
Quantitative reasoning
Biology
General chemistry
Organic chemistry
Total science
21 Although our general minimum acceptable score is 17 on all scales, competitive scores this year were 20 and higher. If your scores are significantly lower than our class averages, you should retake the Dental Admissions Test (DAT) before September."

I think you may or may not get into UOP; you should call and ask the advisor what are your chances. I knew people with your scores that get in, so it is doable but you are at a very iffy situation for UOP, but for other dental schools in Cali you are fine. I don't know if it is worth killing yourself to study for the DAT again and you may even get lower because your scores are VERY solid. I would not retake but if you want to do it go ahead but keep in mine the risk. I'm saying this because I got into UCSF and got an interview to UOP and my scores are lower than yours with a 16 and a couple 17s with AA and TS 19 that is why i say it is doable.

I think you may or may not get into UOP; you should call and ask the advisor what are your chances. I knew people with your scores that get in, so it is doable but you are at a very iffy situation for UOP, but for other dental schools in Cali you are fine. I don't know if it is worth killing yourself to study for the DAT again and you may even get lower because your scores are VERY solid. I would not retake but if you want to do it go ahead but keep in mine the risk. I'm saying this because I got into UCSF and got an interview to UOP and my scores are lower than yours with a 16 and a couple 17s with AA and TS 19 that is why i say it is doable.

Thanks for the advice. For now I think I am going to keep these scores and not retake the test. I decided that it is way to nice not having to worry about taking the DAT and I dont want to go through it again.

Also, has anyone heard from any schools yet? I have only heard from Ohio State. They were asking for more information. Anyone else?

Just keeping it alive:)

Honestly though, I've had some time to think about my scores and my chances at UoP. Should I just give up on UoP and not even send in any supplemental material or the fee? :(

So here are my scores and verified gpa.

PAT 26 99.8%;)
QR 19 81.8%
RC 19 53.9%
Bio 20 87.4%
GC 17 49.3%:mad:
OC 21 87.6%

TS 19 76.7%
AA 19 75.3%

Overall I feel alright with these scores, but I would like to get some feedback on what you think about them. My GC killed me!
My verified OGPA is 3.62 and SGPA 3.49

HOLY CRAP!
your PAT score is solid
i wouldn't worry about GC

Just keeping it alive:)

Honestly though, I've had some time to think about my scores and my chances at UoP. Should I just give up on UoP and not even send in any supplemental material or the fee? :(

I'd vote to send in your app. They DO in fact weigh the PAT quite heavily and you really never know.

Depends how tight your money situation is, but if I were in your shoes, I wouldn't want to look back and wonder, if its something you really want.

I agree, however, it may be a bit of a long shot, but I'd go for it. Good luck.