DAT Done 6/19

Discussion in 'DAT Discussions' started by tsav23, Jun 20, 2008.

1. tsav23

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Dat finished last night. What a wild 4 1/2 hour ride it was.

BIO: 18
    CHEM: 30
    OCHEM:21
    PAT: 19
    RC: 18
    QR: 18
    TS: 21
    AA: 21

BIO: Very random. I studied Kaplan, and Schaum's , I felt like I knew Kaplan very well, but there were not many questions that I saw on the real test that I spent the bulk of my time studying for.

CHEM: A lot of concepts. I really enjoy chemistry but I wasn't expecting a perfect score. Used Kaplan and Barron's

OCHEM: Due to the hard Bio questions, when I got to OChem I only had 11 minutes left to answer all 30 questions. I had to fly. I am a TA for Ochem, on all my practice tests I was getting 30's or 28's. I felt that it was really easy, the time factor is what got me on this one, but with being pressed from time I can't complain with a 21.

PAT: A lot easier than Achiever, harder than top score, equal to Crack DAT PAT. Keyholes and Top Front End were very similar to Crack DAT PAT, I am glad that I purchased Crack DAT PAT just for those sections. Kaplan was useless (too Easy). I ran out of time on this section too, Had to guess on the last 6 pattern folding questions.

RC: The first two passages were entertaining, and I felt good about all the questions, but once again I got behind, and had to scramble to finish on time. Third passage was boring. But the questions were harder than RC for achiever and top score.

QR: Way harder than any practice tests. I ran out of time on this section as well. Trig problems were easy, but the algebra was harder than I was expecting, and some of the word problems had to many decimals and fractions.

For those who have not taken the test, focus on time management. I usually would finish the Natural Science section 15 minutes early, but on the real thing, with all the anxiety and pressure, I tended to go slower, which really put me in a bind for OChem. Expect to take 20 minutes extra on the Natural sciences on the real thing.

I am a Florida resident and am hoping to get into the U. of Florida. My overall GPA is 3.85, with science 3.83. I have good volunteer and shadowing, with a humantarian trip and dental work to Nicaragua. Any input on my chances would be helpful.

Good luck everybody!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. harrygt

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    NIce TS and AA, fabulous Gchem, Ochem is pretty good too. I wish you had done better on BIO. What was the problem with BIO? What was annoying about it?
    You are absolutely right. I always try to get a 15-20 min extra at the end of natural sciences too, and I'm planning to do that on the real test.
    You have excellent GPA and EC acrtivity. With these scores, I find nothing in your way of getting into a dental school. I don't have particular info about the one in Florida though. Good Luck, and congrats

4. Danny289

Danny289 Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Great scores, you will be Ok. focus on rest of your application now.

5. tsav23

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    What made Bio hard was that the questions were not just straight vocabulary like the top score tests. Also I focused a lot on photosynthesis and cellular respiration, but I did not see any questions about it. It seems that most of the practice tests that I took had a lot of cellular respiration questions. But not on the test that I took, but of course it could be different depending on what test you receive.

6. Mstoothlady2012

5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Congrats nice score! a 28 or 30 on Ochem could have really improved your chances alot. But they are still pretty good score. From what I know UF puts a lot of emphasis on GPA & since your cGPA & sGPA is so high, I thnk you have a good shot at UF. Especially if you did science major, then you are golden. Also both UF & NOVA likes to see high TS, and TS of 21 is well above their average. I don't see why you wouldn't get admitted to UF. Congrats again!!