notsowisetooth

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 5, 2007
Status
Dental Student
WOO HOO! I get to enjoy my summer now.

What do you guys think? I'm pretty content with my scores. I didn't think I'd do this well. My PAT is not the best but...oh well.

I ran out of the center "woo hoo"-ing, it felt great.

PAT: 20
AA: 22

BIO: 20
GC: 24
OC: 23
TS:23

RC: 25 (holy crap)
QC: 19 (oh well.)

I'm packing right now for summer vacation, so I can't really write a full length breakdown, but I'd be happy to answer any specific questions.

Last edited:

10+ Year Member
May 28, 2008
Status
Dental Student

What do you guys think? I'm pretty content with my scores. I didn't think I'd do this well. My PAT is not the best but...oh well.

AA: 23

I'm packing right now for summer vacation, so I can't really write a full length breakdown, but I'd be happy to answer any specific questions.
ohh man youre screwed!!! you needed a 24 AA, TS, PAT... you have no shot sorry...

May 13, 2009
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)

What materials helped do u feel helped u the most, any strategies/advice?

thanks.

ZzZzSleepyhead

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 7, 2009
Status
Pre-Dental
Aha, I'm jealous.. Nice scores and enjoy your summer!

GOLF

7+ Year Member
Jul 6, 2009
Status
Dental Student

wat did u do the day before the test? got my DAT in a week and all im doing is going thru destroyer and getting stoked for this 5hour onslaught of fun and euphoria.

OP
N

notsowisetooth

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 5, 2007
Status
Dental Student
What materials helped do u feel helped u the most, any strategies/advice?

thanks.

For studying I used the Kaplan BB along with the online classes. I also had AP Cliffs Bio.

However I think practice tests were the most helpful. I did a total of 6 practice tests (3 Kaplan and 3 Topscore) in my final two week. I would do a practice test on one day and then go over everything the next, and then take another practice test the day after.

Here's what I think helped me alot: When going over practice tests, I wrote down the questions I got wrong and questions I remember I was unsure about. By the end of 6 practice tests, I had 5 pages worth of common questions I was getting wrong in each section. So, I went back to my books and re-read. Any questions I couldn't find the answer to, I asked on SDN. (Thank you)

I also bought Crack DAT PAT and Crack DAT Math. Crack DAT PAT was much harder than the real thing, so I would recommend that. I wasn't really able to take full advantage of these but if I had to do it again, I would have spent more time on these.

Hope that helps

sgeng1

Itsstolen
5+ Year Member
Jul 15, 2009
Status
Pharmacist
Thanks for sharing^^!
What study book helped you the most on Bio sec? Is AP Cliffs Bio better than Kaplan BB?

ruomengd2000

10+ Year Member
Jun 17, 2008
Status
Pre-Dental
Hey first of all i would like to say congrats, those are solid scores and i'm sure you'll get into an awesome school. However, I hate to be the a-hole to bring this up but are you sure your AA wasn't 22? just off the top of my head, looking at your scores it seems like you got a 22 AA. Then I calculated (25+19+23+20+24)/5 = 22.2 Maybe you switched one of your values around?

Jul 5, 2009
Status
Pre-Dental
what was your method in DAT and what is your most difficult topics in the passage?

OP
N

notsowisetooth

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 5, 2007
Status
Dental Student
Hey first of all i would like to say congrats, those are solid scores and i'm sure you'll get into an awesome school. However, I hate to be the a-hole to bring this up but are you sure your AA wasn't 22? just off the top of my head, looking at your scores it seems like you got a 22 AA. Then I calculated (25+19+23+20+24)/5 = 22.2 Maybe you switched one of your values around?

It is. I messed it up in midst of my euphoric state.

fixed now

OP
N

notsowisetooth

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 5, 2007
Status
Dental Student
what was your method in DAT and what is your most difficult topics in the passage?

I really don't know what happened with RC, and how I managed to score that high. I wasn't too sure on many of the questions.

Compared to topscore, there were definitely more inference/tone type of questions, but still a fair amount of straight up detail question from the passage.

As per method, I started out using the Kaplan Keyword method, but found myself wasting precious minutes doing this so I switched to search and destroy. I basically did what Kaplan taught me to do, but without actually writing down the keywords. The passages aren't too long and you should be able to recall more or less what paragraphs corresponds to what topics.

Also, a helpful pointer: Usually (I don't know if it works for all passages) the answer to tone questions can usually be found in the concluding paragraphs. The answers to definition questions are usually towards the introductory paragraphs or at the beginning of each paragraph.

Another important reminder. Keep calm. Don't freak out and pick an answer because it contained a keyword you remember reading somewhere. The answer choices always have a few TRAPS. Make sure the answer choice you choose matches what you read almost word for word.
Also, if you're stuck on a question (which usually happened to me on inference/tone questions)...breath, reread the question, and think about it. If you're still not getting, mark it and move on. Don't Dwell. You might have gotten that answer wrong, but if you dwell on it, your wasting valuable seconds that could help you figure out other question.

Okay. That's all. Don't judge me if what I wrote above makes little sense. I just got off a 15 hour plane ride and I'm feeling a quite jet-lagged, light-headed, and justt a little bit off.