Dat done 7/22/09

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ZH1988

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
all i go say is thank god im done with this
alright so the scores
PAT 23
TS 20
AA 19
OC 21
Bio 20
GC 18
RC 20---i think i got pianoed
QR 14-:mad:--yeah i know it sucks the questions were freaking paragraphs

PAT---CDP is a must, its pretty close to the actual one...I hate angles but some how i managed to do good on it...i think 23 is good

Orog-- i though i would do better but 21 isnt bad....i read kaplan first then did destroyer---which is what you need

Bio---same thing i read kaplan first then did Cliff's bio and of course destroyer.....read each one at least twice

Chem---i was expecting this but still thought i did better.. anyway i used kaplan and destroyer....destroyer calculations were to much

RC-- used topscore and some kaplan stuff....used search and destroy and i got lucky on the last essay. I proabably read 4 lines from it the rest i already knew

to the bad news
QR--i dont know what happened i was expecting this to be my highest but turned out to be my lowest... the question were freaking paragraphs..

also used some kaplan exams, and topscore
over all i think i did good but for the QR...
and finally: IM DONNNNNNNNNNNEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!:laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

good job, i took the DAT today as well and got a 14 QR so i feel your pain. the questions were beyond ridiculous, especially since i was getting 20s and higher on the practice tests

Members don't see this ad :)
good job, i took the DAT today as well and got a 14 QR so i feel your pain. the questions were beyond ridiculous, especially since i was getting 20s and higher on the practice tests

i know same here for topscore and kaplan i got 20 and higher. The actual one was from another planet and i actually find math easy..oh well nth we can do now

Last edited:
Great scores! Nice job. What method did you use for RC? Did you use the Math destroyer?

Great scores! Nice job. What method did you use for RC? Did you use the Math destroyer?

At first i read the thing in 5 min then did search and destroy...it worked for the most part... for math i used dat destroyer which i thought wasnt useful at least for my exam version, also used topscore which i also thought wasnt very helpful. so yeah i hope that helps. good luck:thumbup:

Sorry buddy! Unlike everyone else, I must tell you that despite the fact that your other scores are good, that QR score will come back and haunt your during this cycle. It's most likely below the cutoff point for many schools, and it will definitely raise some red flags for schools that claim they don't have any cutoffs.
But good luck anyways!

Sorry buddy! Unlike everyone else, I must tell you that despite the fact that your other scores are good, that QR score will come back and haunt your during this cycle. It's most likely below the cutoff point for many schools, and it will definitely raise some red flags for schools that claim they don't have any cutoffs.
But good luck anyways!

I don't really buy this. I'm sure there are a few schools that will reject you for a low QR score but I think if you've still got a good AA and a great TS and PAT you're very competitive. Certainly a solid GPA goes a long way too.

I did a quick search on predents and you'd be surprised how many people got accepted with a 15 or lower on QR.

I don't really buy this. I'm sure there are a few schools that will reject you for a low QR score but I think if you've still got a good AA and a great TS and PAT you're very competitive. Certainly a solid GPA goes a long way too.

I did a quick search on predents and you'd be surprised how many people got accepted with a 15 or lower on QR.
I'm not sure what you're not buying about my post, because I'm essentially saying the same thing. He/she won't be "FINE" like others has mentioned, because like you said there will be schools (perhaps some that he/she really wants to get in) that will reject him/her simply due to that low QR score. With some luck, there maybe schools that grant him/her admission.
Generally speaking, scores below 17 are always problematic in one way or another.

I'm not sure what you're not buying about my post, because I'm essentially saying the same thing. He/she won't be "FINE" like others has mentioned, because like you said there will be schools (perhaps some that he/she really wants to get in) that will reject him/her simply due to that low QR score. With some luck, there maybe schools that grant him/her admission.
Generally speaking, scores below 17 are always problematic in one way or another.

By few I mean 1 or 2. The vast majority of schools, I believe, will view a low QR score as more damaging to the AA then as an individual score...

Schools have already been warned to expect low QR scores, and even before that I believe they looked at that score last.

By few I mean 1 or 2. The vast majority of schools, I believe, will view a low QR score as more damaging to the AA then as an individual score...

Schools have already been warned to expect low QR scores, and even before that I believe they looked at that score last.
See that's the thing. There's a difference between what we like to believe as pre-dents and how the admission process really works.
Here on SDN, there's this perception that schools will overlook your QR score no matter what. However, that is NOT the case. Schools will only overlook your QR score if:

-You have extremely competitive scores in all the other sections.
-Your QR score is still ~ average (Personally, I consider 14 well below average).
-The schools really believes you're the kind of student they're looking for.

It's exactly the same with CC units. Many schools have policies against credits completed at CC. But, they're willing to bend those rules, provided that they really like what they see in other sections of your application. Otherwise, if you're an average applicant, those rules and policies will remain in effect.

I didn't do that well on the QR section of the exam. But I try to be realistic. Just because people on SDN like to believe schools don't care about the QR score it doesn't mean that it's true. If they didn't care about the QR score there was no need for ADA to test you on this subject.

Here on SDN, we usually like to take statements that sound appealing to us as facts. If we score low on QR we like to believe schools are lineant on this section, If we take the DAT in Sep, we like to believe our application is still considered early, etc.

By no means am I trying to crush anyone's dreams of getting into DS, I'm just suggesting it would be a good idea to be more realistic sometimes (regardless of this particular post).

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
See that's the thing. There's a difference between what we like to believe as pre-dents and how the admission process really works.
Here on SDN, there's this perception that schools will overlook your QR score no matter what. However, that is NOT the case. Schools will only overlook your QR score if:

-You have extremely competitive scores in all the other sections.
-Your QR score is still above average (Personally, I consider 14 well below average).
-The schools really believes you're the kind of student they're looking for.

It's exactly the same with CC units. Many schools have policies against credits completed at CC. But, they're willing to bend those rules, provided that they really like what they see in other sections of your application. Otherwise, if you're an average applicant, those rules and policies will remain in effect.

I didn't do that well on the QR section of the exam. But I try to be realistic. Just because people on SDN like to believe schools don't care about the QR score it doesn't mean that it's true. If they didn't care about the QR score there was no need for ADA to test you on this subject.

Here on SDN, we usually like to take statements that sound appealing to us as facts. If we score low on QR we like to believe schools are lineant on this section, If we take the DAT in Sep, we like to believe our application is still considered early, etc.

By no means am I trying to crush anyone's dreams of getting into DS, I'm just suggesting it would be a good idea to be more realistic sometimes (regardless of this particular post).

Why would they need to overlook it if it was above average?

OK...my bad...I meant ~ average (Anywhere in the 17-18 range)!

LOL, ok so I'm trying to understand your criteria for overlooking a low QR score.(which apparently is DS admission fact)

Do you have to meet just one of the three criteria or do you have to meet all three to get your QR score overlooked? You were a little vague there.

BTW, an 18 in QR is actually the 75th percentile. Do you mean average for enrollees or average for applicants?

LOL, ok so I'm trying to understand your criteria for overlooking a low QR score.(which apparently is DS admission fact)

Do you have to meet just one of the three criteria or do you have to meet all three to get your QR score overlooked? You were a little vague there.

BTW, an 18 in QR is actually the 75th percentile. Do you mean average for enrollees or average for applicants?
Couple of things:

1-Sarcasm is my 2nd language, and I can tell you this much...you're not that good at it.

2-If you're really curious about an answer you can rely on (since you obviously think I'm making this up), call the admission office of couple of schools and ask them when would they be willing to overlook a low QR score (if at all). The info I'm giving you is based on what I've been told by the admission coordinators at couple of Cali schools, and I'm simply sharing it with you. Now, personally I like to trust their word over what I hear on SDN, because I'm sure they're more knowledgeable about this whole process than we are, since it's part of their career (and don't tell me every school is different, because I'm not planning to call every single school across the nation to prove a point:laugh:).

Like I said I'm one of the people with a low QR score myself. So, I would actually benefit if they'd be willing to overlook the QR scores.:xf:

Nevertheless, you don't have to accept my point. You're entitled to your opinion, and I respect that. Like I said, we all like to believe what's most appealing to us, regardless of its validity, and it's not easy to change people's mind, specially when they feel comfortable with a particular concept.

Anyways, good like to you and the OP:thumbup::thumbup:

Couple of things:

1-Sarcasm is my 2nd language, and I can tell you this much...you're not that good at it.
2-If you're really curious about an answer you can rely on (since you obviously think I'm making this up), call the admission office of couple of schools and ask them when would they be willing to overlook a low QR score (if at all). The info I'm giving you is based on what I've been told by the admission coordinators at couple of Cali schools, and I'm simply sharing it with you. Now, personally I like to trust their word over what I hear on SDN, because I'm sure they're more knowledgeable about this whole process than we are, since it's part of their career (and don't tell me every school is different, because I'm not planning to call every single school across the nation to prove a point:laugh:).

Like I said I'm one of the people with a low QR score myself. So, I would actually benefit if they'd be willing to overlook the QR scores.:xf:

Nevertheless, you don't have to accept my point. You're entitled to your opinion, and I respect that. Like I said, we all like to believe what's most appealing to us, regardless of its validity, and it's not easy to change people's mind, specially when they feel comfortable with a particular concept.

Anyways, good like to you and the OP:thumbup::thumbup:

LOL, I'm glad you picked up on that!

nze82 you've been extremely helpful on these boards and I appreciate that. I believe you have directly answered a few of my questions so thanks. Not trying to start an SDN fight here...

I do think every school is different, that's why if you're going to give an opinion that is backed up by coversations with particular schools, you may want to mention which schools. I talked with Baylor about this and they played down the QR score so there ya go.

LOL, I'm glad you picked up on that!

nze82 you've been extremely helpful on these boards and I appreciate that. I believe you have directly answered a few of my questions so thanks. Not trying to start an SDN fight here...

I do think every school is different, that's why if you're going to give an opinion that is backed up by coversations with particular schools, you may want to mention which schools. I talked with Baylor about this and they played down the QR score so there ya go.
I have an email from UCLA's admission coordinator regarding this topic. So, here's the snapshot of that e-mail. Other Cali schools pretty much gave me the same response.

P.S. We're definitely not fighting; we're simply disagreeing and that's healthy.:laugh:

Last edited:
IDK, that email seems a little different to me than what you were saying.

But yeah, I totally agree, you have to be competitive in all other sections for them to let you slide a little on the QR. I think the OP with a 19AA and 20TS would be considered competitive.

IDK, that email seems a little different to me than what you were saying.

But yeah, I totally agree, you have to be competitive in all other sections for them to let you slide a little on the QR. I think the OP with a 19AA and 20TS would be considered competitive.
How is it different? She's saying scores below 17 will concern the admission committee members. The lower the worse. At least that's the point I was trying to get across.
They are lenient on this section, but they won't just drop the low QR score simply because we had a poor performance in this section.

Anyways, I'm gonna remove the snapshot. I've always been paranoid about putting a screen shot of my email on public display!:laugh:

How is it different? She's saying scores below 17 will concern the admission committee members. The lower the worse. At least that's the point I was trying to get across.
They are lenient on this section, but they won't just drop the low QR score simply because we had a poor performance in this section.
Anyways, I'm gonna remove the snapshot. I've always been paranoid about putting a screen shot of my email on public display!:laugh:

lol, yeah I was pretty surprised you did that!

this forum is getting intense
I wanted to say something about this..my brother went to dental school and he actually got a 14 on bio and still got in..so they could over look a score if you have good recommendation letters or sth...which im hoping for cause i think my scores are pretty good if it wasnt for my QR---i think my PAT makes up for it..and if i dont get in this year its not a big deal life goes on ill retake it again and apply again.

this forum is getting intense
I wanted to say something about this..my brother went to dental school and he actually got a 14 on bio and still got in..so they could over look a score if you have good recommendation letters or sth...which im hoping for cause i think my scores are pretty good if it wasnt for my QR---i think my PAT makes up for it..and if i dont get in this year its not a big deal life goes on ill retake it again and apply again.
When did he get accepted, if you don't mind me asking?

03/04----and he still has contacts at the school and they told him that one score isnt going to miss up someones whole application
So, ummm...that's like 5 years ago. Right?!
I wonder if the competition was as intense as it is (Trying saying that 3 times fast:laugh:) today, back then?:rolleyes:

So, ummm...that's like 5 years ago. Right?!
I wonder if the competition was as intense as it is (Trying saying that 3 times fast:laugh:) today, back then?:rolleyes:

the avg is about the same..and the school is really hard to get in to--not gonna say which one...but anyway like i said they might i repeat might not care about one score...if they dont like my scores i have no option other than retaking it...im i right or what??!!

the avg is about the same..and the school is really hard to get in to--not gonna say which one...but anyway like i said they might i repeat might not care about one score...if they dont like my scores i have no option other than retaking it...im i right or what??!!
Your scores are fine!
The above discussion between me and the other poster was a general discussion. We weren't necessarily focusing on your scores.

Your scores are fine!
The above discussion between me and the other poster was a general discussion. We weren't necessarily focusing on your scores.

I know...im just wanted to say that one score and hopefully wont affect me or other predents...good luck with you application...btw just curious what were ur scores if you dont mind sharing

I know...im just wanted to say that one score and hopefully wont affect me or other predents...good luck with you application...btw just curious what were ur scores if you dont mind sharing
scroll up! you'll see them under my signature (Like I said, I'm in the same boat, because I have a low QR as well-17).